Malone/Murley

#1GuinFan
10-15-2003, 11:02 AM
How have the two rookies looked so far? I didn't have the chance to listen in on the two Pens games, so I was interested in finding out whether they have fit in or not. Thanks.

Big McLargehuge
10-15-2003, 11:05 AM
I only saw the first game.

Malone was impressive, good two-way game from what I saw. Murley was invisible.

spence___
10-15-2003, 02:38 PM

Malone's played pretty well in his own end, but has done nothing to deserve his spot on the 2nd line.

Murley looks ok. But he hasn't seen all that much ice time yet.

DJ Spinoza
10-15-2003, 04:31 PM
Murley has done well in limited time. Soon to be even more limited thanks to Abid's return.:rant:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-15-2003, 06:37 PM
I was a little disappointed to see Malone on the second line instead of Murley.

jmelm
10-15-2003, 07:34 PM

I'll second that. It is not a slight on Murley, necessarily. He has only played a couple games and has been on a line with Holzinger and Bradley, guys that don't creat a lot of offense. I would like to see what Murley could do on a quality offensive line.

That said, he may have very limited upside: a guy who is not really big/fast/gritty enough to be a great third liner (i.e. Colby Armstrong), and I'm not quite sure he is fast/skilled enough to be a legitimage top-6 forward. He may just be a versatile 3rd/4th line guy that can play on some specialty teams.

I also wouldn't mind seeing him at centre.

DJ Spinoza
10-16-2003, 10:59 AM
Yeah and for now they might send him down I think, because in WBS he can have a top 6 spot and get quality time.

Then maybe next year there will be room on a top line for him, or maybe he fights hard in WBS and earns a callup.

In any event, he hasn't been given too much of a chance, but he was a longshot to make the team in the first place.

spence___
10-16-2003, 12:38 PM
That said, he may have very limited upside: a guy who is not really big/fast/gritty enough to be a great third liner (i.e. Colby Armstrong), and I'm not quite sure he is fast/skilled enough to be a legitimage top-6 forward. He may just be a versatile 3rd/4th line guy that can play on some specialty teams.

What kind of upside would you say Malone has?

jmelm
10-16-2003, 01:59 PM
What kind of upside would you say Malone has?

It's hard to say at this point, but whatever potential he has, he will have a chance to achieve it. I say this because he plays a complete, all-around game, therefore he can be put on the ice in any situation and will not be a liability.

We will have to wait and see what kind of offensive potential he has and how good his hands are, but he has shown that he is a very smart player. We shall see.

All this said, I'd like to see him initiate contact a little more, though.