hypothetically

patastrophe
10-16-2003, 02:52 AM
if you could acquire one each of top six forward, checking forward, or d within reason...no franchise players here, secondary types...who would you pick?

heres my picks:

scoring: i would say billy guerin here, since hed be a perfect tutor for lil nate...but hes definitely more of a franchise type player, even though he is terrifically overpaid. not that i regret the luongo trade one single bit, but id love to have mark parrish back. hes streaky, and he cant skate that well...but hes gritty and hell take a beating to put one in. you can ask for more from a gutty scorer. just plant him in front on the pp and watch him work

checking: eric belanger. plays both ways with heart and spirit, and pots some pretty timely goals.

d: tossup....matvichuk or spacek. matvichuk is 30, and beginning to slow, but plays a responsible play at home game. plays nasty, but usually not dirty, unless its playoff time (ask jason smyth about that).

spacek should never have been traded, especially not for a wet end like eriksson. decent offense, surprisingly willing to hit for a euro dman, and has evolved into a leader and example-plus he wasnt bad on my fantasy team last year when i had to dip into the waivers cause of injuries :lol:

Acadmus
10-16-2003, 11:03 AM
if you could acquire one each of top six forward, checking forward, or d within reason...no franchise players here, secondary types...who would you pick?

Frankly, I'd like to get Kuba back on D, but it ain't happening. We lost him to the numbers game in the Waiver draft what...three, four years ago? None of the guys who started as the Panthers' defense that season are still with the team. Bad loss.

Checking forward? Most of the best are over the hill...I actually would like Robbie Niedermeyer back in that role. Not too bad, has some size, some scoring ability (he's scored both of Anaheim's goals this season), and certainly isn't going to come over-priced. Not like the 5.3 million or whatever Martin Lapointe was signed for.

Scoring Forward? How about our former fan-fave, Stu Barnes? Puts up numbers, is gritty, doesn't give up on plays, yet isn't considered a star (though he is a Star ;) ).

Clash*
10-16-2003, 06:25 PM
Frankly, I'd like to get Kuba back on D, but it ain't happening. We lost him to the numbers game in the Waiver draft what...three, four years ago? None of the guys who started as the Panthers' defense that season are still with the team. Bad loss.

Checking forward? Most of the best are over the hill...I actually would like Robbie Niedermeyer back in that role. Not too bad, has some size, some scoring ability (he's scored both of Anaheim's goals this season), and certainly isn't going to come over-priced. Not like the 5.3 million or whatever Martin Lapointe was signed for.

Scoring Forward? How about our former fan-fave, Stu Barnes? Puts up numbers, is gritty, doesn't give up on plays, yet isn't considered a star (though he is a Star ;) ).

I totally agree on Niedermayer. He could fill the void on the checkin line, and be the leader we need other than Olli. He could stick for a few years as he's still young as well and play the role of his old roommate, Brian Skrudland.

As for defensemen, I'd love to see Spacek and Warrener back. Warrener was a solid stay-at-homer and Spacek had an offensive flair to his game while bein able to play defense as well. Turthfully three guys who could make this team drastically different, and possibly more of a playoff caliber team over nite.

If I could pick a goalie, I'd love to have Alex Auld back for back-up, even tho he wouldn't sign here, cause I think he's the real deal. I feel he has the most potential amongst the 20-25 yr old goalies that are around now, besides Luongo (of course) and Miller. Too bad he got screwed out of a shot at the back-up and possibly the startin job in Van-city, as he looked good at the end of last season.

patastrophe
10-17-2003, 12:48 AM
I totally agree on Niedermayer. He could fill the void on the checkin line, and be the leader we need other than Olli. He could stick for a few years as he's still young as well and play the role of his old roommate, Brian Skrudland.

you know, i didnt like letting nieds go in the first place...but the majority of our fans were disgusted with him. everyone kept expecting him to score 40 goals, and the boo-birds were on him like white on rice in every home game. even at the anaheim/fl preseason game there were a few people in fl jerseys booing him 2 seasons later.

as much as i hate agreeing with bryan murray on anything, he hit it on the head when he said that the only thing anyone could complain about with nieds was his price tag. hes been the only thing the ducks have had to cheer about so far this season.

Clash*
10-17-2003, 12:52 AM
you know, i didnt like letting nieds go in the first place...but the majority of our fans were disgusted with him. everyone kept expecting him to score 40 goals, and the boo-birds were on him like white on rice in every home game. even at the anaheim/fl preseason game there were a few people in fl jerseys booing him 2 seasons later.

as much as i hate agreeing with bryan murray on anything, he hit it on the head when he said that the only thing anyone could complain about with nieds was his price tag. hes been the only thing the ducks have had to cheer about so far this season.

The problems with Robbie and Jovo with the fans are the same problems that the Cats are gonna have now, with impatient support for the team. If these kids billed as superstars aren't producin at a Thornton/Pronger like pace in a year or two, they'll be complainin again.

patastrophe
10-17-2003, 12:55 AM
The problems with Robbie and Jovo with the fans are the same problems that the Cats are gonna have now, with impatient support for the team. If these kids billed as superstars aren't producin at a Thornton/Pronger like pace in a year or two, they'll be complainin again.

funny you should mention pronger since he took a while to develop in hartford and ended up blossoming for another team in st. louis. one of keenan's better trades as gm.

PUCKBOY99
10-17-2003, 05:49 AM
I CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT I'M HEARING FROM YOU GUYS.... :rant:
THE ONLY NEIDERMEYER I EVER WANT TO SEE IN A PANTHER SWEATER IS IN NEW JERSEY. THAT LIMP PIECE OF #$%^(@!#$ SHOWED UP WITH ALL THE TALENT IN THE WORLD & SHOWED ZERO DESIRE. BY THE TIME THEY SHIPPED HIM OUT W/A BOOT UP THE ARSE, HE SKATED AROUND ON HIS SHIFTS LIKE HE WAS BACK HOME ON A POND TAKING A STROLL. IF HE MISSED A PUCK, NO BIG DEAL...THERE WILL BE OTHER SHIFTS.

I DON'T CARE IF HE BECOMES THE NEXT GRETZKY OUT WEST...I NEVER WANNA SEE THAT GUY AGAIN. JUST ASK NIKKI TAYLOR...SHE'LL REMIND YOU HOW LAME HE IS!!!! :rant:

Acadmus
10-17-2003, 07:36 AM
I CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT I'M HEARING FROM YOU GUYS.... :rant:
I DON'T CARE IF HE BECOMES THE NEXT GRETZKY OUT WEST...I NEVER WANNA SEE THAT GUY AGAIN. JUST ASK NIKKI TAYLOR...SHE'LL REMIND YOU HOW LAME HE IS!!!! :rant:

The only problem with Niedermeyer is he was signed to be a scorer, but became much better at being a defensive player. As such, he earned too much, but otherwise was pretty damn decent in the role he finished his Panthers career in. He also was a good influence for young players, since, regardless of his lack of outward enthusiasm, he always worked hard when he was on the ice.

As for his lack of ever filling his potential, I'd point out his injury years in 96 and 97, particularly in '97-'98 when Lindros blindsided him in the season opener.

On the point of Niedermeyer taking Skrudland's place, no. Skrewie was something unto himself, and I doubt any current Panther has the personality, skills, or reputation to create the kind of looseness in the locker room that he did. I still curse the Blueshirts to this day for signing him to an overpriced bid, and Murray for not trying a little harder to keep him.

Acadmus
10-17-2003, 07:40 AM

Actually, I'm kind of happy to notice that, with all the attention on Luongo, Bouwmeester, and Olli Jokinen, Horton has been left out of the spotlight. You almost can forget he's in the lineup. That's very good for letting him develop his pro/NHL game while remaining relatively free of pressure from the fans. I credit Dudley and Keenan (more Dudley). Although they were high on Horton and Stewart, neither of them really made it seem like they were the keys to the team's success. That helps to keep the fans from developing that perspective, and so they're less likely to begin to boo every time Horton touches the puck, like they started to do with Jovo and Niedermeyer.

patastrophe
10-18-2003, 01:13 AM
Actually, I'm kind of happy to notice that, with all the attention on Luongo, Bouwmeester, and Olli Jokinen, Horton has been left out of the spotlight. You almost can forget he's in the lineup. That's very good for letting him develop his pro/NHL game while remaining relatively free of pressure from the fans. I credit Dudley and Keenan (more Dudley). Although they were high on Horton and Stewart, neither of them really made it seem like they were the keys to the team's success. That helps to keep the fans from developing that perspective, and so they're less likely to begin to boo every time Horton touches the puck, like they started to do with Jovo and Niedermeyer.

you kinda have to wonder how its going to go for the 'hawks new kids...particularly ruutu and vorobiev, after the way mike smith hung the franchise on their heads this season and did nothing significant to upgrade his team. looks like another sutter brother is going to pay for bad moves by management.

and to puckboy...does every first round pick have to score 40 to be successful? no. is neidermayer turning into the next gretzky as you put it? certainly not.

but on a so far subpar ducks team, neidermayer has been one of the only players demonstrating any kind of consistency or work ethic. hate on him all you like for not turning into the player that we all wanted him to (and yes i was booing along with you guys for awhile), but if you use your head instead of your heart, you cant avoid admitting that the guy is a pretty damn good hockey player...IN A SHUTDOWN ROLE.

and boy hasnt that trade worked out stunningly well for us so far. although we did get mezei from it in a round about way.

PUCKBOY99
10-18-2003, 01:29 AM
you kinda have to wonder how its going to go for the 'hawks new kids...particularly ruutu and vorobiev, after the way mike smith hung the franchise on their heads this season and did nothing significant to upgrade his team. looks like another sutter brother is going to pay for bad moves by management.

and to puckboy...does every first round pick have to score 40 to be successful? no. is neidermayer turning into the next gretzky as you put it? certainly not.

but on a so far subpar ducks team, neidermayer has been one of the only players demonstrating any kind of consistency or work ethic. hate on him all you like for not turning into the player that we all wanted him to (and yes i was booing along with you guys for awhile), but if you use your head instead of your heart, you cant avoid admitting that the guy is a pretty damn good hockey player...IN A SHUTDOWN ROLE.

and boy hasnt that trade worked out stunningly well for us so far. although we did get mezei from it in a round about way.

I don't care if a guy ever scores as long as he gives 100% every shift...And there isn't a one of you that can convince me that that STIFF did that while he was here. How many goals did Billy Lindsey or Tom Fitzgerald score? Or Paul Laus, for that matter??? They played the hell out of every shift & people loved them for it. When you're an offensive player & you aren't scoring, you need to pick up your game in other areas. He used to take the ice like he could care less about being there....I say the same thing about Viktor Kozlov. Size & talent...and don't care whether they win or lose! The fact that he's playing consistently on a "subpar" team probably has something to do with him using the talent he obviously has...only he's using it now. And having a little success is giving him confidence.

As to the Gretzky comment: I never said he was "turning into" the next Gretzky. What I was saying is I don't care if he scores 300 goals this season, I never want to see him in a Panther jersey again. We all know how well bringing back players has worked out in the past!!!

Now, if they'd like to ship Scott our way.................. :lol:

patastrophe
10-19-2003, 01:46 AM
Now, if they'd like to ship Scott our way.................. :lol:

like i said to takkie in the other thread about comrie....scott niedermayer? where do we sign... LOL

and yes, return trips to south fl have NOT paid off for anyone but the player's investors.