The One Guy Really Doing It Right Now Is....

Face Wash
10-16-2003, 05:04 AM
With honorable mention kudos to Ziggy, Viz and Mo....

Eric Belanger has been an absolute STUD the first four games of this season.

No doubt Ziggy has been a phenom the last (over a) year... But the guy on the team I think who's made the greatest strides this season in my mind is EBel. The guy's been "special" in the first 4 games. His assertiveness has given the Kings another dangerous line in the offensive zone while still being huge defensively. Belanger was already one of the best faceoff guys in the league (37 for 62 = 59.7% this year so far). He was always our best two-way forward, generally playing against the other team's top line. But what has really surprised me is that he's "getting it" on the offensive end this season. He's more assertive, he's very aggressive and he's making even Lappy and Avery "dangerous" on the ice with his smart play.

The guy has a surprising amount of skill too. He's as good a power skater as the Kings have. The guy's really one of the best players on the team and it's very rewarding for the Kings and their fans to see a guy they drafted put it all together the way he's doing it.

He's becoming the King's answer to Jere Lehtinen.

We can only hope that his assertive and aggressive style might rub off on Frolov, who's in need of an "assertive play transplant".

jfont
10-16-2003, 05:32 AM
agreed FW...he won 11 of 15 faceoffs last night...according to kings talk after the game.

LuckyLUC20
10-16-2003, 08:04 AM
Totally Agree... Now, can we QUIT putting him in trade scenarios... also Visnovsky. Belanger and Visnovsky have been 2 of the Kings best players behind Ziggy.

IGM
10-16-2003, 08:19 AM
I think we all knew that Ebell would be a good player if he could stay healthy. He has been a stud so far this year and I think he will break the 45 point mark this year as well stay in double digits in the +/- to boot. IF he can stay healthy. Of course, the same could be said about allot of Kings this season. Imagine how we would look if our whole roster was healthy.

EVEN IF we had to have the lines be,

Klatt Allison Deader

Frolov Stumple Palffy

Luc Ebell Army/Pirnes/Aulin/Cammo etc

for our top three lines I think (as I have been saying since we landed Stumple and Luc) that we will be a very hard team to beat most nights.

Ebell is right in between being a solid second line center and a special third line guy. I can't wait to see how he developes. Stay healthy Ebell!

agentfouser
10-16-2003, 09:13 AM

No doubt Ziggy has been a phenom the last (over a) year... But the guy on the team I think who's made the greatest strides this season in my mind is EBel. The guy's been "special" in the first 4 games. His assertiveness has given the Kings another dangerous line in the offensive zone while still being huge defensively. Belanger was already one of the best faceoff guys in the league (37 for 62 = 59.7% this year so far). He was always our best two-way forward, generally playing against the other team's top line. But what has really surprised me is that he's "getting it" on the offensive end this season. He's more assertive, he's very aggressive and he's making even Lappy and Avery "dangerous" on the ice with his smart play.

The guy has a surprising amount of skill too. He's as good a power skater as the Kings have. The guy's really one of the best players on the team and it's very rewarding for the Kings and their fans to see a guy they drafted put it all together the way he's doing it.

We can only hope that his assertive and aggressive style might rub off on Frolov, who's in need of an "assertive play transplant".

word. i could not agree more. i've been saying all summer that belanger is vital to the kings' sucess and is viciously underrated.

and, in the "make 10 bold predictions thread," i predicted that he would emerge as a selke candidate.

KingPurpleDinosaur
10-16-2003, 10:17 AM
agreed w/ the rest. i honestly didn't expect much out of him this year but he's been really stepping up. its a pleasant surprise to say the least

jacketracket*
10-16-2003, 10:36 AM
Please excuse an interloper, but I'm enjoying watching the Kings fight through the injuries and still play well. Allison and Deadmarsh are two of my favorite non-CBJers, but the Kings don't seem to be missing a beat w/them on the shelf.

A speedy recovery to both, and good luck---except in columbus! :D

jfont
10-16-2003, 10:43 AM
Please excuse an interloper, but I'm enjoying watching the Kings fight through the injuries and still play well. Allison and Deadmarsh are two of my favorite non-CBJers, but the Kings don't seem to be missing a beat w/them on the shelf.

thanks dude...and good luck to your bluejackets as well... :)

Old Hickory
10-16-2003, 10:49 AM

Do us a favor and stop beating us everytime we play you!

wabwat
10-16-2003, 01:48 PM

i couldn't agree more... i always feel comfortable with belanger out there. he always gets a shot to generate some offense when he's killing penalties. and there are few centerman any team would want to have taking a defensive zone face-off ahead of eric. if he can remain healthy, and play a full season... i can really see him hitting 30 goals, and be considered a possible selke candidate. i am very bored with the whole "let's trade belanger and so & so for comrie to replace allison" notion. some people just won't understand his value until he becomes a UFA, and teams like dallas (tippett knows eric too well), philly (under hitchcock), minnesota (lemaire), or the devils (they're the devils!) jump all over him the hour he becomes available to them.
besides... i have continually and like a broken record have said, if we are to trade anyone... it's got to be cammy. he's our most tradeable asset. and i think both aulin and pirnes have a much better two way game and therefore, better suited to play murray's system of defensive responsibility. look at palffy... a good player who's become great! i haven't been able to remember anyone other than gretzky who's as good at stealing the puck as ziggy is.
vis... it's been a long time since i've seen a defenseman his size play as big as he's been playing... he didn't even shy away from chara, who was as tall as lubo when he hit him and fell to his knees.
the only concern i still have about modry, is his inability to hold the puck in the offensive zone during the power play. if he doesn't watch himself, gleason may end up replacing him as the QB. he pinches almost as well as blake does (which is who he really reminds of).
i'm still not a fan of corvo. even though he played a great game last night... arguably his best thus far.

i have to ask though... why the omission of stumpel by everyone? i feel he's been one of the three best players so far. he's gotten so much tougher, and the goal he scored was smooth. and the type of goal a center his size HAS to be able to score. it was all about his body position and strength. he plays in every situation because nobody's ever doubted his hands, his patience, or his decision making. and now that he hasn't yet shown any signs of that "soft player" we've all bashed him for, he's just been that much tougher.

agentfouser
10-16-2003, 03:28 PM
i have to ask though... why the omission of stumpel by everyone? i feel he's been one of the three best players so far. he's gotten so much tougher, and the goal he scored was smooth. and the type of goal a center his size HAS to be able to score. it was all about his body position and strength. he plays in every situation because nobody's ever doubted his hands, his patience, or his decision making. and now that he hasn't yet shown any signs of that "soft player" we've all bashed him for, he's just been that much tougher.

i'm not with you on stumpel. he's not playing poorly, and yes his goal was excellent use of his size. but, at the same time, i don't think he's been anywhere close to as good as others (belanger, visnovsky, palffy) have been. he just hasn't made things happen consistantly the way others have.

IGM
10-16-2003, 04:06 PM
I don't know, I think Stumple is doing a great job. Remember that he is supposed to be a second line center that isn't the guy that any of us wanted to have to carry our team. He is playing pretty solid two way hockey and is scoring better than expected so far.

You have to think that IF we had Ally/Deader back that the Stumple line would be our "second" line and that it would be one of the best in the game. Teams are going to have their hands full trying to maintain the Ally line and then make the switch to the Stumple line and then have to deal with Ebell and his line. Stumple is doing great so far and if we ever get healthy we could be one of the top 5 teams in the league for the first time in forever.

If you look around the league, Stumple is making things happen better than allot of "better" players are at this point in the season. Time will tell how this will go though.

LuckyLUC20
10-16-2003, 04:18 PM

Thanks, man! Good luck to the Blue Jackets as well... just not against the Kings.

agentfouser
10-16-2003, 08:36 PM
I don't know, I think Stumple is doing a great job. Remember that he is supposed to be a second line center that isn't the guy that any of us wanted to have to carry our team. He is playing pretty solid two way hockey and is scoring better than expected so far.

You have to think that IF we had Ally/Deader back that the Stumple line would be our "second" line and that it would be one of the best in the game. Teams are going to have their hands full trying to maintain the Ally line and then make the switch to the Stumple line and then have to deal with Ebell and his line. Stumple is doing great so far and if we ever get healthy we could be one of the top 5 teams in the league for the first time in forever.

If you look around the league, Stumple is making things happen better than allot of "better" players are at this point in the season. Time will tell how this will go though.

i get what you mean, and your point is well taken. i was not trying to get on stumpel for playing poorly; rather, i just felt that if one was going to talk about the players on our team right now that are being game-breakers, stumpel would not top my list. but that's okay, because, as you said, he's not really a fantastic first line pivot and if we expect that sort of thing from him, we'll just be disappointed. he's playing his role and doing his job, but he hasn't been the game breaker that belanger, palffy, visnovsky in particular have been.

V for Voodoo
10-16-2003, 10:54 PM
fwiw, i paid close attention to belanger during the games against the pens and sens and i was impressed.
i'd often read about him having great potential but never really saw it in him in the past, but he's looked very good.

wabwat
10-17-2003, 06:06 AM
i get what you mean, and your point is well taken. i was not trying to get on stumpel for playing poorly; rather, i just felt that if one was going to talk about the players on our team right now that are being game-breakers, stumpel would not top my list. but that's okay, because, as you said, he's not really a fantastic first line pivot and if we expect that sort of thing from him, we'll just be disappointed. he's playing his role and doing his job, but he hasn't been the game breaker that belanger, palffy, visnovsky in particular have been.

i do agree with that. it's just i've noticed that he's doing a good job. and very quietly.

IGM
10-17-2003, 08:21 AM
I get it agent. We still have to see what happens when Ally comes back. I agree with you on Vis/Ebell and ZP having really great starts and am just stoked that we are getting a chance to see how good this team is without its top four players. You have to think we will be even better when they get back.

Average Joe
10-17-2003, 01:38 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I think that Belanger always starts the year in a big way. Then he gets hurt and does not play as well when he returns from injury. I hope he can stay healthy this year and have a productive year.

agentfouser
10-17-2003, 01:41 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I think that Belanger always starts the year in a big way. Then he gets hurt and does not play as well when he returns from injury. I hope he can stay healthy this year and have a productive year.

yeah, that is the eric belanger pattern. i think he's been poised for a breakout year for awhile now, but injuries have always struck. last year in particular, he was noticably less effective after he came back from his midseason back sprain (or whatever it was).

Face Wash
10-18-2003, 05:04 AM
Yeah, but EB hasn't been a "make everyone else better" type player that he's been. The only thing he can't control is Avery going to the box all the time. But so long as Avery's been on the ice EB has made him an effective dangerous guy in the offensive zone.

This is the difference I see in EB this year... it's his assertiveness. He's taking over shifts, and he hadn't done that to this point before.

Let's all pray for the guy's health, because when people view the Kings team and their prospects for the season, I don't think they count on this guy to be healthy for... or that he's made this kind of improvement to his game. This take the Kings up a notch in my mind.

wabwat
10-18-2003, 07:18 AM
Yeah, but EB hasn't been a "make everyone else better" type player that he's been. The only thing he can't control is Avery going to the box all the time. But so long as Avery's been on the ice EB has made him an effective dangerous guy in the offensive zone.

This is the difference I see in EB this year... it's his assertiveness. He's taking over shifts, and he hadn't done that to this point before.

Let's all pray for the guy's health, because when people view the Kings team and their prospects for the season, I don't think they count on this guy to be healthy for... or that he's made this kind of improvement to his game. This take the Kings up a notch in my mind.

their line was really movin' out there the other night eh? avery can play... he just needs to settle down... play a more disciplined game... he's gonna get more minutes here. his style was much more suited to the limited minutes he was getting in detroit... he'll learn (note:NO PENALTIES against Ottawa).

i don't think injuries have really affected Ebel's overall play. they've just prohibited him from getting into any real offensive groove. so he's been unable to put up the numbers we've all seen in him at the beginning of every season.