Don't look now, Kirk...

Mizral
10-16-2003, 01:28 PM
Ryan Kesler - 3 GP, 2 goals, 2 assists, 4 points, +4, and tied for 4th in league points (AHL)

Do you want mustard or relish with that jock?

:joker:

Okay, I know it's early, but damn, that's a promising start.

For those interested, here are a couple other statistics of note:

Fedor Fedorov: 3 GP, 4 goals, 4 assists, 8 points, 14 PIM's , 1st in league points

Kirril Koltsov: 3 GP, 2 goals, 3 assists, 5 points, tied for 3rd

Very good starts for three Moosers.

PS: Fergo is going to be posting weekly Moose updates here on the boards that will be stickied regularly. They should drum up great interest.

Also, be sure not to miss the Moose playing this weekend on SportsNet!

PecaFan
10-16-2003, 02:17 PM
Ryan Kesler - 3 GP, 2 goals, 2 assists, 4 points, +4, and tied for 4th in league points (AHL)

Do you want mustard or relish with that jock?

Okay, I know it's early, but damn, that's a promising start.

All of that was in the one game though. And from what I saw, it was entirely because of Fedorov, he was the one who made the amazing moves and beat the defence etc, leaving Kesler with the tap in etc.

Give him 30 or 40 more games, and we'll be able to tell what kind of season he's having.

nazzy
10-16-2003, 03:26 PM
PS: Fergo is going to be posting weekly Moose updates here on the boards that will be stickied regularly. They should drum up great interest.

Are also displayed daily on MooseView. :) GO FEDOR! :p

fergo
10-16-2003, 07:08 PM
Are also displayed daily on MooseView. :) GO FEDOR! :p
But what I'll be typing out is a little different from that. ;) It's just a weekly update, but it'll have lots of details in it.

Impossibles
10-16-2003, 07:28 PM
Fedor got another point today in a 4-3 OT loss to the chicago wolves.

But feds was in the sin bin when chicago scored. (gasp...an OT penalty?)

fergo
10-16-2003, 07:34 PM
Fedor got another point today in a 4-3 OT loss to the chicago wolves.

But feds was in the sin bin when chicago scored. (gasp...an OT penalty?)
Yeah, he tugged on a Chicago player with his stick (didn't sound severe, but can't tell without seeing some highlights.....which might be impossible since it was a road game), that guy fell down, and Feds was on a breakaway. Ref whistled the play down and got called for hooking.

Tom.H
10-16-2003, 11:36 PM
I am encouraged to hear about the play of Fedor. I knew he was certainly capable of it, but it didn't look like he had enough drive to pay the price to play that way.
If he continues to play that way, he is a cinch to be called up. But I hope the Canucks, give him at least a month to show if he is going to keep it up.
Though I want to see Fedor play on the Canucks, I think it would be a shame to send King back down, I think he has shown enough to stay. But then again, who else could go down, without having to clear wavers?
Not to mention the fact that he is probably best suited as a line mate for the Sedins, something that might also be said about Fedor, if he makes it with the big club.

It also looks quite encouraging to see Kesler and Koltsov to be playing that well. I can't remember ever seeing that much potential on the farm before.

NFITO
10-17-2003, 05:34 AM
definitely encouraging to see the stats, but it's way too early, and stats don't tell you everything...

sounds like Burke and Crow are more concerned with his play away from the puck... how's his +/-? and the penalties he's getting - are they the stupid selfish penalties?

the good thing is that he's finally hitting the score sheet... and if nothing else this alone brings up his asset value, where we could now expect a little more than nothing for him.

Ideally it would be great if he could be a regular for us - maybe he's our answer finally to that 2nd line problem... he does bring more size than King, and if he can develop more consistency he'd be a better bet on that line - maybe a poor man's (very poor man's) version of Bertuzzi - he has the size and skill for it... just not sure if he's dedicated enough or smart enough to get there.

been hearing a lot about Kesler, Fedorov and Koltsov... how are the others playing?? especially Auld, Reid, Vydareny and Jokela?

Avery4Byng*
10-17-2003, 09:26 AM
When and Where are they on sportsnet this weekend.... and is it sportsnet east or the S Pac...? thanks for info guys.

fergo
10-17-2003, 09:55 AM
definitely encouraging to see the stats, but it's way too early, and stats don't tell you everything...

sounds like Burke and Crow are more concerned with his play away from the puck... how's his +/-? and the penalties he's getting - are they the stupid selfish penalties?
His +/- at the moment is +1. Part of that could be attributed to five of his nine points (2-3-5) being scored on the powerplay. His other four points (2-2-4) were even-strength, and he was on for one goal last Saturday (though that wasn't his fault) and three of the four last night (one was on Chicago's power play) and I don't know how much of those were his fault. But this year so far, he's made more of a commitment on defensive play, and even Stan Smyl has mentioned about it a few times.

As far as his penalties are concerned:
-- Game #2, 1st period, hooking
Fedorov raced back to prevent a scoring chance, so that was a good penalty.

-- Game #2, 3rd period, 10-minute misconduct
Bad giveaway, chased after Brendan Bell and Jeff Daw, who ended up scoring to make the score 6-2 Manitoba. Fedorov broke his stick in frustration and the ref sent him to the showers, since there was less than two minutes left in the game.

-- Game #3, 2nd period, hooking
I can't remember the circumstances behind this one, so I can't say whether it was good or bad.

-- Game #4, overtime, hooking
Fedorov skated up to Chicago d-man Shawn Heins and basically pushed him off the puck. Heins fell, Fedorov had a clear breakaway.....and then the whistle was blown.

Moose PBP guy Kelly Moore said the whistle was late on the play, and that Fedorov didn't really give Heins that much of a tug. He said that a lot of the time, that wouldn't have been called. Winnipeg Free Press writer Tim Campbell said that Fedorov had skated 50 feet before referee Gordon Dwyer (who also reffed the Moose game the night before in Milwaukee) raised his hand and blew the whistle. Winnipeg Sun reporter Ken Wiebe called the penalty "questionable", saying that Dwyer didn't blow his whistle until Fedorov was on a clear breakaway.

Being local writers and all, take from it what you will, but these guys (for the most part) tell it like it is.

been hearing a lot about Kesler, Fedorov and Koltsov... how are the others playing?? especially Auld, Reid, Vydareny and Jokela?
Auld is having a bit of a rough start. He let in five goals in his first game (he wasn't bad, but wasn't great either), and let in four last night, though he also faced 41 shots with a d-man corps that was missing Dallas Eakins and Tomas Mojzis to injuries. At least Moss is playing well to start (1-0-1 record, 1.44 GAA, 0.951 SV%).

The first line of Ryan Ready, Brandon Reid, and Pat Kavanagh has been surprisingly silent so far, not unlike the big three in Vancouver. Ready has one assist, Reid has a goal and an assist, while only Pat Kavanagh has been putting up some numbers (0-4-4).

The combo of Roy, Kesler, and Fedorov......well, they're easily the best line on the team. Roy is the gritty forward that'll open up space for his linemates, Kesler has been steady defensively, but has only had one big game offensively. He got cut for 15 stitches on Wednesday night after Scottie Upshall cross-checked him in the head (more specifically, his ear). Upshall was kicked out of the game for that. Fedorov......well, what can be said about him that hasn't already early this season? He's finally starting to play up to his potential (and even contributing defensively). Now, if he can keep it up......

Not much has been said about Jokela, but as a defenceman, that's usually a good thing. He's currently a +1 with no points. Vydareny didn't play the first game for reasons unknown, but has played the last three usually paired with Chris St. Croix. He's currently a -1, but it doesn't sound like he's doing too bad. He also assisted on Manitoba's only goal on Wednesday.

When and Where are they on sportsnet this weekend.... and is it sportsnet east or the S Pac...? thanks for info guys.
Sunday's game is on every Sportsnet station, but you have to check your local listings for the time. The game is tape-delayed (unless you have digital cable or satellite, where it'll be shown live), so it'll be on at different times depending on the station. The official Moose site would be a good reference for the times (bottom right of the main page):

http://www.moosehockey.com/

NFITO
10-17-2003, 10:12 AM
thanks for the report Fergo.... keep up the awesome scouting feedback... it's very much appreciated!