Star defenceman Derian Hatcher out 4-6 months with torn ACL

Impossibles
10-17-2003, 08:23 AM
Link (http://www.canada.com/vancouver/story.asp?id=9AA0FA5F-7D70-48D1-85CA-21A3A9B67825)

Now i don't wish injuries on anybody, but this is one I can live with. Hatcher is a dirty player who head-hunts.

This definately hurts detroit. The re-match should be a good game.

Ajacied
10-17-2003, 08:42 AM
Ah the jealousy..

Hatcher is a better defenseman then either Ohlund or Jovo, you'd wish you had him...

kmad
10-17-2003, 08:46 AM
Think Allen will play that game? If it was Matt Cooke who took him out, I could understand benching him for the next game, but Bryan Allen is huge.. he's as big as Fischer I think, and thats the Wings' largest player, and Allen's tough enough to handle McCarty, Chelios.. etc.

My only concern is them taking cheapshots on Allen

IceMelter
10-17-2003, 09:04 AM
Allen did nothing wrong so theirs no reason to leave him out.

Peter Griffin
10-17-2003, 09:05 AM
Allen did nothing wrong so theirs no reason to leave him out.

Exactly. It was a harmless play, I'm amazed that Hatcher came out of it with a torn ACL.

Peter Griffin
10-17-2003, 09:07 AM
Hatcher is a better defenseman then either Ohlund or Jovo, you'd wish you had him...

I like Hatcher's toughness, physical play, leadership, and defensive awareness, but he's way too slow to be an effective d-man in the Canucks system. I would much rather have the more mobile Jovo and Ohlund, not because I think they are better, but because I think they are better suited to the Canucks faster paced system where the defense is counted out to be mobile.

monster_bertuzzi
10-17-2003, 09:38 AM
It's ironic isnt it? Chelios saying he cant wait to introduce Mr.Hatcher to Mr.Bertuzzi?

Ahh, gotta love carma.

C'nuckleHead
10-17-2003, 10:12 AM
Canucks can certainly punish. Remember St. Louis during the playoffs (including the Canuck flu :p ), and the Minnesota surgeries!

Thalia
10-17-2003, 10:14 AM
I like Hatcher's toughness, physical play, leadership, and defensive awareness, but he's way too slow to be an effective d-man in the Canucks system. I would much rather have the more mobile Jovo and Ohlund, not because I think they are better, but because I think they are better suited to the Canucks faster paced system where the defense is counted out to be mobile.Totally agree... Hatcher's waaaay too slow-footed to be a good fit with the 'Nucks.

I still remember that game where Hatcher lumbered up the ice and then fell flat on his stomach while Bertuzzi danced around him and put the puck in the net. Not a pretty position that you want to see your top D-man to be caught in. :joker:

quat
10-17-2003, 12:21 PM
Ah the jealousy..

I dunno about that. I would like to see Hatcher in a Canucks uniform, but not over Ohlund or Jovo, and certainly not at the $ he's earning.

Funny how much you go on about Sergei Zubov being so much more talented than Hatcher, and yet you think Hatcher is better than both Ohlund and Jovo. I will admit Zubov is the best of the bunch... at this point... but the only thing Hatcher has ever had over the two Canucks is size and an ability to play dirty without really getting punished for it.

As for the hit, it was a really mild hip check, not a low bridge, and Hatcher just had his weight on the wrong leg when he got hit. Not even as low as Stevie Y's hit on Pronger. Just bad luck. I doubt very much that anyone on the Wings will be looking for payback on an innocent hit like that.