Unthinkable
10-17-2003, 11:37 AM
http://tinylink.com/?CZ3Oxd2NyL

Chico Resch
No Cup hangover here!

Oct 16, 2003
I don't think there's going to be a letdown with this team because:

1. Lou Lamoriello

Lou knows - as well as some of the veterans - that if the Devils let down, all they'll hear about is 1996, when they missed the playoffs after winning the Cup. That's why some of the boys are saying they have to be twice as focused. Lamoriello seemed edgy during Carolina, and he won't stand for anything resembling '96.

2. Pat Burns

Pat's always going to be the same whether he's won the Cup or he hasn't. He'll keep his guys on their toes.

3. Scott Stevens and Martin Brodeur

These guys never get tired of winning. In a preseason game with Philly, Scotty went after Donald Brashear and tried to take his head off, and that sent a message to his team - that this Cup defense is starting right now, with no passengers.

The funny thing about success is, that when you build a reputation and have character, you do not want that to be chipped away in any way. When I asked Scott about fighting Brashear, I said "Hey, wouldn't you normally say that you'll see him during the season?" Stevens agreed, but said he couldn't let Brashear get away with anything in the preseason, because he'll do it in the regular season. Plus, he added, "I don't mind it, It's still kind of fun once in awhile!"

When a guy that's won three Stanley Cups and played almost 1,600 games has that kind of enthusiasm and zest for the game, I don't think anyone in that dressing room is going to let down. Everywhere you look in the structure of the club, from the top to driven guys like Jamie Langenbrunner, there is strength.

4. Bench Strength

The Devils have a guy like Mike Rupp, who scored the Stanley Cup-winning goal in Game 7, and is still looking for his first game action! He's keeping his mouth shut and working hard just hoping he can get in, and when he does, he'll consider it a privilege to play. How many teams have that? Who can build that kind of depth? The guys in there are, in effect, saying, "Hey Mike, thanks for last Spring, but I'm not giving up my position so you can play." And Rupp will take that same position when he is in the lineup.

These intangibles and inner gears of this team really make this team go. Under the hood of this Devils team there are so many things going on that it's going to keep them from becoming complacent. And I don't think there will be much of a chance to bring that up this year.

4check22
10-17-2003, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I saw that article this morning. I thought it was good, but I couldn't believe that Chico left Sarge off his list of key players to watch. The guy does nothing but bust his butt every night. When the Sarge goes down, the Devils traditionally struggle. We need a strong Sergei Brylin for both his offensive skills and defensive abilities, and I was a little disappointed in Chico for failing to mention him.

Unthinkable
10-17-2003, 12:03 PM
That is a rather odd omission on his part when you look back at the four guys who have been apart of all 3 recent cup wins. I believe he wrote it before last nights game where Brylin seemed to be fired up both for the raising of the banner and the chance to make his now departed father proud even moreso. Guy is loaded with character and was the cure all for struggling players last season.

4check22
10-17-2003, 12:07 PM
That is a rather odd omission on his part when you look back at the four guys who have been apart of all 3 recent cup wins. I believe he wrote it before last nights game where Brylin seemed to be fired up both for the raising of the banner and the chance to make his now departed father proud even moreso. Guy is loaded with character and was the cure all for struggling players last season.

Yeah, I agree with you about him writing it before last night's game, but to me that is further proof that few people know about the Sarge except Devil fans. I don't know what we'd do without the little guy. Great player. All heart. Better than average skills. Great hockey mind. And yeah, his dad dying just sucks. I'm really pulling for him.

Unthinkable
10-17-2003, 12:14 PM
Great article about Brylin here:

http://www.thnt.com/thnt/story/0,21282,833514,00.html

NJDevs430
10-18-2003, 09:56 PM
Yeah, I saw that article this morning. I thought it was good, but I couldn't believe that Chico left Sarge off his list of key players to watch. The guy does nothing but bust his butt every night. When the Sarge goes down, the Devils traditionally struggle....
Good point...with a healthy Brylin all of last year, I bet we would've made a race with Ottawa for the President's Trophy and finished more than a few points higher than the Flyers (thanks a lot, Colin).
}:-)>