Is this Scott Niedermayer's year for winning the Norris?

Unthinkable
10-17-2003, 11:43 AM
Hatcher is out for 4-6 months and I believe he was the runner up last season to Lidstrom. Is this Niedermayer's year to finally bring it home? Lidstrom is getting up there in age while Niedermayer is just now hitting his prime. The goal against Boston on opening night was simply unbelievable. He singlehandedly made the entire Bruins defense look like the laughing stock of the league.

Ajacied
10-17-2003, 11:47 AM
He's still behind Lidstrom, Pronger, Zubov and Gonchar, not to mention Blake if he rebounds. He definitely has a shot but he's more then a Hatcher and a MacInnis behind IMO. Top 10 candidate for sure though, above the Chara, Redden's and Jovo's, but slightly below the others mentioned.

Unthinkable
10-17-2003, 11:51 AM
Pronger doesn't concern me as much coming off such a serious injury. He gave up his captaincy this season knowing full well its going to take him some time to get back into the stellar form he was in prior to last year. I'll be amazed if he's in the running for it this time around.

4check22
10-17-2003, 11:54 AM
He's still behind Lidstrom, Pronger, Zubov and Gonchar, not to mention Blake if he rebounds. He definitely has a shot but he's more then a Hatcher and a MacInnis behind IMO. Top 10 candidate for sure though, above the Chara, Redden's and Jovo's, but slightly below the others mentioned.

Great names on your list, but I disagree. Pronger, Lidstrom, and MacInnis are possibly a few steps ahead of Niedermayer, but not too far. I think that his play in the Cup Finals will be enough momentum for him to keep up with those guys in points. With Larionov on the PP, Scott has more room to skate in and either dish off or take a wrister from the slot. I would be very surprised if Niedermayer isn't a finalist for the Norris this year.

Missionhockey
10-17-2003, 12:13 PM

I believe Gonchar is below Niedermayer. I just would rather have Niedermayers defense over Gonchar's mental lapses. Who would you rather have in a big game anyway: Gonchar or Niedermayer?

Ajacied
10-17-2003, 12:14 PM
I would be very surprised if Niedermayer isn't a finalist for the Norris this year.

As much as I respect the man, I'd be suprised if he makes the final 3.

He ended up 13th last season, and has to beat the best player in the NHL Niklas Lidstrom to win it, provide a bigger impact then Chris Pronger (who's IMO league's 2nd best defenseman) and finish higher in the Norris rankings then defensemen that has always finished higher for the last few seasons (Gonchar, Zubov, Blake) to get considered.

Unthinkable
10-17-2003, 12:23 PM
I felt Niedermayer finishing 13th last season was a horrible reflection of how great a season he turned in. His true net worth was leading the league in scoring with a lofty plus/minus in the postseason where it counts which I know doesn't count for jack when it comes time for deciding the Norris, but it still made it all the more difficult to accept when all was said and done. The hockey writers shortchanged him big time last year imo.

Brodeur
10-17-2003, 12:37 PM
And MacInnis is now down with an eye injury. Yipes.

One thing going against Niedermayer is that the perception is Stevens is our leader and #1 defender still. Which is why a guy like Zubov will get more consideration this year if the Stars can continue their success without Hatcher.

ctynan44
10-17-2003, 12:40 PM
Neids is too under rated to even be considered a Norris candidate. If any of the Devils Dmen had a chance to win the Norris it would be Stevens, he would get a vote before Neids.

I Hate Tie DOMI
10-17-2003, 02:43 PM
Brian Rafalski is on pace for 0 goals and 136 assists this season. Where is his Norris trophy consideration? :joker:

For those Flyers and Rangers fans that read this board. I am being sarcastic in case you didn't already know that. :D

MattNJD
10-17-2003, 09:32 PM
My guess is that Nieds is voted around the #7 mark for Norris. People in front of him this year (not it order):

Gonchar
Zubov
Sydor :rolly: (for some reason I think he's gonna have a monster year in Columbus)
Lidstrom
Blake
Pronger

Jaysfanatic*
07-08-2004, 08:10 PM
As much as I respect the man, I'd be suprised if he makes the final 3.

He ended up 13th last season, and has to beat the best player in the NHL Niklas Lidstrom to win it, provide a bigger impact then Chris Pronger (who's IMO league's 2nd best defenseman) and finish higher in the Norris rankings then defensemen that has always finished higher for the last few seasons (Gonchar, Zubov, Blake) to get considered.

I want you to eat your words :D

Ronnie Bass
07-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Who was this guy Unthinkable?? :D

Jaysfanatic*
07-08-2004, 08:23 PM
Who was this guy Unthinkable?? :D

Man, I went back to find a thread about some Polish guy (it's up now, I found it) and came across this one, and as I was searching, Unthinkable posted every other topic...he had what? 8,000 + posts :eek:

Ajacied
07-14-2004, 11:34 AM
I want you to eat your words :D

Yeah.. M = D sure was wrong on that one. I wonder when he comes to this board to eat his words.. ;)