NJ start, is like last year

NJDraft
10-17-2003, 10:44 AM
I think it's going to be ties and 1 goal games for awhile: lots of 3-2,2-2 games.

Lou prob.can't make a change untill Jan.,[or maybe the deadline], when some teams need to cut payroll.

Untill that time even games like last night with 2:1 shot advantage,aare going to be a grind.

Devils displayed why the Stanley Cup was sitting at centre ice with their names on it before the game. They held a huge advantage in territorial play for much of the game and unlike the Leafs, who like to work on the periphery, go hard to the net and seem to find a way to get the puck and their bodies into prime scoring areas.

Nieuwendyk, as expected, sat out the festivities despite being invited by the Devils to join them. When his name was announced as one of the starters, the 19,040 in attendance yelled, "Sucks!"

Having played for the Devils and against the Ottawa Senators in the Eastern Conference final, Nieuwendyk realized the Leafs have some distance to go before they're in that class.

"Teams like New Jersey and Ottawa are the measuring sticks for us," Nieuwendyk said. "We're starting to realize what it takes to be with the elite teams. It goes to show us what type of team we have to be in order to compete."

4check22
10-17-2003, 11:02 AM
I think it's going to be ties and 1 goal games for awhile: lots of 3-2,2-2 games.

Lou prob.can't make a change untill Jan.,[or maybe the deadline], when some teams need to cut payroll.

Untill that time even games like last night with 2:1 shot advantage,aare going to be a grind.

I agree with you, and I'm sure that Lou will do some tweaking here and there, but unless things go very awry, I don't think it will be a scorer that Lou goes for. Unless there is an injury or two, I don't think that Lou will go after a defenseman either. Of course all of this is going on the belief that Hale and Martin will continue to develop and become excellent third pair defensemen.

Personally, I think that this team is going to gel sometime in early December. The key is for them to continue believing in Burns and the system. If they do that, they will be an elite team by April.