Anaheim Mighty Ducks/NJ Devils trade proposal

Unthinkable
10-17-2003, 08:45 PM
If the chemistry between Elias and Gomez continues to be non-existant for the next three months and the Anaheim Mighty Ducks struggle big time getting some chemistry going with Fedorov, Prospal, Sykora and company, I'd like to see a deal reviewed sending either Gomez or Elias to Anaheim in a packaged trade for Vaclav Prospal. He's making $6.5 million a year which is a step up from Elias' current salary of $4.7 million a year, but things could be evened out with Lou moving more bodies to the Ducks and its always possible Prospal would take a slight paycut to join the Devils. Elias would be potentially reunited with Sykora and the Devils would get a sizable and highly serviceable Center/Left Winger who played incredibly on a line last season with Lecavalier and Martin St. Louis. Something tells me the Ducks are in for a long long season.

Thoughts?

Tbg1515
10-17-2003, 08:49 PM
If the chemistry between Elias and Gomez continues to be non-existant for the next three months and the Anaheim Mighty Ducks struggle big time getting some chemistry going with Fedorov, Prospal, Sykora and company, I'd like to see a deal reviewed sending either Gomez or Elias to Anaheim in a packaged trade for Vaclav Prospal. He's making $6.5 million a year which is a step up from Elias' current salary of $4.7 million a year, but things could be evened out with Lou moving more bodies to the Ducks and its always possible Prospal would take a slight paycut to join the Devils. Elias would be potentially reunited with Sykora and the Devils would get a sizable and highly serviceable Center/Left Winger who played incredibly on a line last season with Lecavalier and Martin St. Louis. Something tells me the Ducks are in for a long long season.

Thoughts?

If Lou makes a deal with the ducks i could see it as

ANA Gets: Elias, & Martin
NJ Gets: Prospal, Sauer, & Chistov

Tao Jones
10-17-2003, 09:36 PM
I liked the idea of signing Prospal when he was a free agent to center and speak Czech with Elias, until I saw how much he was asking for. Any deal with Anaheim would have to include R. Neidermayer coming over, IMO. I like Chistov and Rucchin.

How about?

To NJ: Rob Niedermayer, Chistov.

To Ana: Elias package

or

To Ana: Elias & Gomez package

To NJ: R.Niedermayer, Chistov, Rucchin

or

To Ana: Elias, White package

To NJ: Prospal, Rob N., Sauer

Unthinkable
10-17-2003, 09:46 PM
How about?

To NJ: Rob Niedermayer, Chistov.

To Ana: Elias package

or

To Ana: Elias & Gomez package

To NJ: R.Niedermayer, Chistov, Rucchin

or

To Ana: Elias, White package

To NJ: Prospal, Rob N., Sauer

I like all those proposals. Bonus points on bringing in Rob Niedermayer as a nice commitment from Lou Lamoriello that he wants Scott to stick around with this team and finish his career as a Devil just like Daneyko did and hopefully Brodeur as well. Your 2nd one intrigues me the most of the three, but I'd be happy with any of them in all seriousness if its time for this team to turn the corner and make some moves to better themselves.

dennisjs
10-17-2003, 10:14 PM

Thoughts?

Why give up that much talent in either Gomez or Elias to get a guy that they could have gotten a couple months ago for nothing more than the contract he signed? The time to have gotten Prospal was July, not now, imo. It's too late. I'd never want to see that trade made.

Unthinkable
10-17-2003, 10:22 PM
Why give up that much talent in either Gomez or Elias to get a guy that they could have gotten a couple months ago for nothing more than the contract he signed? The time to have gotten Prospal was July, not now, imo. It's too late. I'd never want to see that trade made.

Hypothetical scenario based on two teams dealing with players allegedly struggling to live up to expectations. Its one of those what would you like to do proactively to help this team if such and such continues to be a problem kind of threads. If Elias and Gomez play like they are capable of playing then I'm more reluctant then ever to do this just for the sake of shaking up a team that just came off a Cup win. If things are in a holding pattern or on the decline then maybe its time to rethink whats best for the team wouldn't you say?

Tao Jones
10-17-2003, 10:22 PM
I only included White because I am down on him at the moment for injuring our own players. First Brylin's wrist, then Madden in the playoffs, and now Igor. I know he doesn't do it on purpose, but I wish he would learn his own strength. He reminds me of the bull in the china shop sometimes. I like his character and emotion, I just don't want to see him reverting to taking bad, untimely penalties a la Holik, now that McKenzie is gone and Turner is down.

I'm not really that good at trade proposals, so I don't know what I would add to complete the packages. Somehow I think Prospal and Elias should be together and not swapped for each other, but that brings up salary issues.

I agree about Anaheim having a long year though. Stan Fischler said if Fedorov wasn't so upset about Anna K., he probably would have taken Detroit's original offer, he was not in his right mind. He may be regretting his change of scenery.

ZadorovNJD*
10-17-2003, 10:23 PM
Prospal, at his price? No thanks. I wouldn't mind Rob Niedermayer, but Elias or Gomez is an overpayment.

dennisjs
10-17-2003, 10:30 PM
Hypothetical scenario based on two teams dealing with players allegedly struggling to live up to expectations. Its one of those what would you like to do proactively to help this team if such and such continues to be a problem kind of threads. If Elias and Gomez play like they are capable of playing then I'm more reluctant then ever to do this just for the sake of shaking up a team that just came off a Cup win. If things are in a holding pattern or on the decline then maybe its time to rethink whats best for the team wouldn't you say?

I'm not at all opposed to trading either guy, *especially* Gomez, I just can't get the fact that Prospal was available this summer for nothing out of my mind, I guess. I do like the idea of getting Rob Niedermayer in some sort of deal.

Missionhockey
10-18-2003, 05:50 AM
Prospal, at his price? No thanks. I wouldn't mind Rob Niedermayer, but Elias or Gomez is an overpayment.

Beat me to it. Prospal hit 79 points once and I'm willing to bet that was because of the talent surrounding him in Tampa Bay. If I'm Lou and the Ducks come at me to get Elias or Gomez for him I'd say a huge HELL NO!

Kevin Forbes
10-18-2003, 06:45 AM
Chistov and Rucchin will be highly unlikely to be leaving Anaheim anytime soon

sammyk
10-18-2003, 06:56 AM
He's making $6.5 million a year which is a step up from Elias' current salary of $4.7 million a year, but things could be evened out with Lou moving more bodies to the Ducks and its always possible Prospal would take a slight paycut to join the Devils.

How do you figure he would take a paycut? He would have to renogotiate his contract, and if he wanted less money he would have signed for less with Tampa. So I don't think it's "always possible".

Unthinkable
10-18-2003, 08:40 AM
How do you figure he would take a paycut? He would have to renogotiate his contract, and if he wanted less money he would have signed for less with Tampa. So I don't think it's "always possible".

1) His salary is going to hog tie the Ducks from making other significant moves this season same as Martin Lapointe's is in Boston.
2) How long do you think the fans will embrace lackluster numbers at that cost? I realize its not the same market as Toronto or Montreal, but keep in mind this team lost Paul Kariya and management will be under fire if the replacements don't integrate well into the Ducks defensive minded system.
3)Kariya, Selanne, Nieuwendyk, and countless other players took paycuts to continue playing in this league elsewhere with the threat of a lockout and potential salary cap looming over us. Oates won't be back with anyone unless he lowers his salary demands. More and more younger players will get chances this season with all this fiscal uncertainty clouding the picture. Contracts like Yashin's, Jagr's, and Prospal's will all be scrutinized to no end by owners and GM's everywhere while trying to hammer out the new CBA.
4)You are discounting the significance of athletes ridding themselves of huge contracts with all the weight of the world on their backs to perform to go to a team where they will have a great chance at postseason success for years and years to come.

Tbg1515
10-18-2003, 09:46 AM
NJ Gets: R. Niedermeyer, Carney/Sauer, Leclerc
ANA Gets: Elias, & Giroux/Martin

Lou has always liked Keith Carney thats why i mentioned him, and he shuts down many of teams top guys, so it s a bonus having him and stevens too shut down teams like colorado that have 2 top scoring lines.....But Also the niedermeyers would play togther which would make both happy, and Leclerc would be a power foward the devils could use who pops in 15-20 goals

Niedermayer21
10-18-2003, 03:40 PM
Please, no more Elias and Gomez deals!!!! We won the Cup with these two guys having sub-par seasons. Prospal isn't worth half of his contract. If he gets 40 points this season, I'll eat my underpants! :D

The Islanders once traded for Jean Potvin to keep Denis from defecting to the WHA. I am in favor of bringing in Rob Niedermayer, if it will help keep Scotty here.

End of Season lineup:

Friesen--Gomez--Rupp/Marshall/Rob Niedermayer
Elias--Larionov--Brylin/Suglobov
Pandolfo--Madden--Langenbrunner
Berglund--Rasmussen--Rob Niedermayer/Rupp/Marshall

Rafalski--Stevens
S. Niedermayer--White
Martin/Hale/Albelin/Sean Brown/Giroux

Brodeur
Schwab

Turner Stevenson, Brian Gionta, and Jiri Bicek to Anaheim for Rob Niedermayer and their #2 pick in 2004.

Praline
10-19-2003, 08:43 PM
Prospal is making about 2.5 milion this year *with a 4 million signing bonus.*

16.5 over five years is what I think it was.

That being said, I don't think the Ducks are going to give up on him after just five games.

Niedermayer21
10-20-2003, 12:17 AM
Finally, a voice of reason!!! :bow:

The Ducks would love to have Elias and Sykora playing wing for Steve Rucchin, but it ain't goin' to happen. We can't trade Elias and/or Gomez. They are too important to our team.

I am in favor of acquiring Rob Niedermayer, if possible. The Ducks are off to an awful start and we may be able to get him on the cheap. Probably wouldn't cost more than Brian Gionta and Turner Stevenson. I'd love to see Gionta start scoring and Turner playing regularly, but if that doesn't happen soon, I wouldn't mind packaging them for some size and toughness. Rob Niedermayer can play all three forward positions and Carol can root for both brothers on the Devils. ;)

Also, since Jiri Bicek is not playing in the NHL, let's send him to a team that will let him play. Or just bring him up and play him with Elias and Larionov.

And why the hell is Berglund sitting???

Nite... :)

Guttersnipe
10-20-2003, 03:58 AM
Stevenson isn't going anywhere, he is 31 year-old groin injury making 1.35 mil.

Gionta has a great work ethic, plays smart hockey and Burns seems to really like the little guy. I think the Devils still have faith in him and I doubt he has much trade value.

Anaheim seems very happy with Rob "special" Nieds, so he's not going anywhere. It's too bad, anything that would help keep Scott in NJ is a good thing.

Tao Jones
10-20-2003, 04:32 AM
And why the hell is Berglund sitting???

According to 770AM he was "out with a sore knee".

GentlemanOfLeisure
10-20-2003, 12:21 PM
If Elias is going to Ahaneim I want Lupul or Chistov comming the other way in a good young package with Perry included. It is going to take alot to get Elias, something Anaheim probably wouldn't do.

Since Sykora is off to a horrible start and his trade value might be at it's lowest point, how about Sykora to anahiem for Tuomas Pihlman and Mike Rupp.

maybe later in the year if the ducks become the carolina hurricanes of last year.

sliveD
10-20-2003, 04:01 PM
Regardless of the Gomez/Elias chemistry, Elias is the best offensive player on this team. He has led this team in scoring for FOUR straight years and he has 3P in 4G now! It doesn't matter who he plays with! Just because Elias and Gomez don't click like Hull and Oates doesn't mean you move Elias. Your concept (struggling guys /new change of scenery) is fine. The trick is to end up with the more talented player (Easily Elias). Prospal has had 1, count 'em 1, good season in his fourth try as an offensive leader and TB chose NOT to pay to keep him after it! Elias leads this team if he plays with Petr Sykora or Grant Marshall! Besides being their greatest threat, he's grown into a good Devs soldier and he kills penalties. But the biggest reason I don't do this is because Elias is twice the goal scorer Prospal is and the Devs need Goal Scorers even if they are not quite clicking with their most likely linemate....

I say Elias is never dealt until he cops an attitude or demands too many $ in Free Agency.

Missionhockey
10-20-2003, 05:57 PM
I can see Gomez getting traded and when Larionov retires next year, Parise to take #2 or #1 line center job.

I don't think that will happen till Parise has a year under his belt and if they trade him they still need a 2nd line center.

Guttersnipe
10-20-2003, 07:28 PM
I don't think that will happen till Parise has a year under his belt and if they trade him they still need a 2nd line center.

So Gomez will be traded 4-5 years from now? The kid's a sophomore in college, let's wait until he's in NJ before we consider him the team's top center. (I'm not knocking Zach, but you guys may be a wee bit overenthusiastic). :)

sammyk
10-21-2003, 07:06 AM
1) His salary is going to hog tie the Ducks from making other significant moves this season same as Martin Lapointe's is in Boston.
2) How long do you think the fans will embrace lackluster numbers at that cost? I realize its not the same market as Toronto or Montreal, but keep in mind this team lost Paul Kariya and management will be under fire if the replacements don't integrate well into the Ducks defensive minded system.
3)Kariya, Selanne, Nieuwendyk, and countless other players took paycuts to continue playing in this league elsewhere with the threat of a lockout and potential salary cap looming over us. Oates won't be back with anyone unless he lowers his salary demands. More and more younger players will get chances this season with all this fiscal uncertainty clouding the picture. Contracts like Yashin's, Jagr's, and Prospal's will all be scrutinized to no end by owners and GM's everywhere while trying to hammer out the new CBA.
4)You are discounting the significance of athletes ridding themselves of huge contracts with all the weight of the world on their backs to perform to go to a team where they will have a great chance at postseason success for years and years to come.

You can't be serious.

1.) What the hell does he care how his guaranteed contract affects the Ducks? He's going to get that money one way or another.

2.) Again, what does he care if fans are unhappy? The contract is guaranteed!

3.) Kariya, Selanne, and Nieuwendyk were all free agents when they took their paycuts. Why would Prospal take one in the MIDDLE of his contract?

4.) They do this when they are FREE AGENTS...Prospal WAS one and he probably thought the Ducks would get into the post season with the additions they made. They still might, it's only been 5 games.

sveiglar
10-21-2003, 08:04 AM
To think that any player who just signed a big-money FA deal would immediately renegotiate a lower salary to join a new team is far-fetched at best, and ridiculous at worst.

As sammyk says, what the fans think and what it does to the Ducks be damned: he's collecting his cheque and that's what matters to him.