Powerplay Troubles?

The Produce Man
10-17-2003, 09:33 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but I think our Powerplay's gone to crap latley. It was a reason we didn't atleast get a point out of the Detroit game, after having a 5 minute opporunity.

I think this is where we start to miss Klatt. We don't have a solid presence in front when the second unit plays, unless we double shift Bert. Instead we've been playing King and Ruttu. I think the Sedins need a big body in front, creating traffic, so they have a little more room to cycle, and move the puck to the point.

Do you think we could do an Ottawa type deal, and get a big defenseman in front? Because I think Malik or Allen could do the job.

Either that, or I think we should try Arvedsson or Linden on the second unit.

I know it's early, but as we found out last season, every point counts.

cyrisweb
10-18-2003, 12:29 AM
Our powerplay has gone to crap because our 2 biggest contributors have also gone to crap.. Bertuzzi and Naslund. When they start scoring again we will start having a better power play.

The Produce Man
10-18-2003, 11:05 AM
True enough, but when the Sedin's are on, they aren't generating nearly as much chances as they did before. I think they need someone in front, causing havoc.

Egil
10-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Ottawa only puts Chara in front if the powerplay has been too cutesy for a few goes, as it essentially forces the PP to go for the point shot, as opposed to the cutesy stuff. Overall, I don't think it makes our PP better than the normal unit (when it is clicking). However, it DOES make our PP slump less, as it is the perfect move to get it back to simpler plays.

incawg
10-18-2003, 12:42 PM
True enough, but when the Sedin's are on, they aren't generating nearly as much chances as they did before. I think they need someone in front, causing havoc.

I don't think the second unit PP is any worse than last year. They didn't do a ton of scoring with their limited time then and they aren't doing it now. The powerplay troubles can be attributed, imo, to nothing more than a slump for the first unit. This also happened as several points durnig last season. I'm sure they'll breakout of their rut sooner or later - they're getting decent chances but it's just not going in.

ehc73
10-18-2003, 09:16 PM
The PP points will come. They need to stop making the stupid passes. Their outlets haven't been too hot either.

I'm more worried about the PK. It hasn't improved too much from the end of last season.

ping
10-18-2003, 09:52 PM
I'd really like to see Brian Allen play on the 2nd unit PP with Ohlund. The guy has a rocket of a shot and is pretty accurate with it too.

The PK isn't as bad as you'd think. Of the 2 PP goals given up against Detroit, one was a point shot right off a faceoff. Not much to do with a powerplay really. The other one was a really really nice pass and yes the PK could have done a little more but Lidstrom had a seeing-eye-dog pass.

In the Columbus game the PP goal they gave up...I put the blame on Cloutier for that ridiculous side angle goal that went in. I can't remember any other goals while the Canucks were down a man.