10-18-2003, 08:09 PM
I understand that he's worried about his groin and all...but he travelled with the team during the western trip, but daaaaaaaaamn...why didn't he stay in Ottawa and work out during the trip instead of leading the coaching staff on with a return?
When on EARTH is he going to be ready? Or is he just trying to make a point about the hold out and the delay of getting a contract done???
10-18-2003, 08:28 PM
I would think it's hard to sign a just step into an NHL game. Why not wait a week or two just to get his comfort level there. Ottawa certainly can stand it, so there's no need to rush him.
Most hold-out players seemingly end up having sub-par season, a lot of times due to injury. Maybe this can help prevent that (although I doubt it)
Johnny On the Spot
10-19-2003, 03:47 AM
Maybe he is skating along side Vermette and doesn't realize that the rookie is fast, and he is thinking that he must be slowing down. ;)
If Vermette going down is the cost of Havlat getting back in, I don't mind. He will now have four more days to get to 100%.
The more cynical side to my nature figures that the major part of Havlat's groin pull occured in eastern Europe and he kept quiet about it. It probably isn't ready to go yet. He probably played too soon without the proper warming up, overseas. Can't prove it and it doesn't matter, whatever happens, happens.
I've lost some respect for Marty recently. He was my favorite Senator until this summer. I guess the paragraph above shows that....I thought he was more of a gamer than all that whining demonstrated over the summer months. Of course, disappointment over pro-athletes is a constant in the universe IMO.
10-19-2003, 11:55 AM
My cynical side wonders if the plane back to the Czech Republic was to attend a Doctors appointment, not throw down the negotiation gauntlet.
Dean Brown on the radio sure seems miffed about Havlats "Im not ready yet" stance. Perhaps if we had signed him earlier, he could of been ready by now.
10-19-2003, 12:46 PM
Based on Martin's comments, I think a few people in the organization are a little perturbed about this groin development. When Martin says "I'm not going to play a player if they tell me they're not ready to play", it doesn't exactly sound like he's happy.
I think Puck's cynicism is bang on - the groin has been a problem going back to playing in the Czech league and his camp kept it mum during negotiations. Come March it won't mean to much, but something to file away.
10-19-2003, 01:14 PM
Havlat's trip to the Czech Rep never existed. When he was supposed to be at the airport he was really sitting at a restaurant in Kanata. It was just a ploy to gain leverage. I can't show a web link to such a story but I do get inside team info from time to time.
Why would he leave Ottawa to go see a doctor half way around the world? If you were going to go to a specialist the best ones are in the US.
10-20-2003, 06:23 AM
There is no need to rush Havlat back to playing, in fact we are much better off in the long run if we are 100& sure that havlat is helathy. The keyb issue is how well rested and healthy he will be come playoff time as the sens are a lock to get 100 points, with or without Havlat.