Lamoriello a class act - Toronto Sun

Unthinkable
10-19-2003, 06:39 PM
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2003/10/19/230240.html

Sun, October 19, 2003

Lamoriello a class act

By GEORGE GROSS, TORONTO SUN
"I compare a hockey team to an orchestra," explained the man who has been the chief Devil for nearly two decades and who was honoured in 1992 with the Lester Patrick Trophy for outstanding service to hockey in the United States. "It has to have a drummer and a violinist.

"However, they have to play their own instruments. The drummer has to understand his role and the violinist has to understand his. But if the drummer plays the violin and the violinist sits behind the drums, it won't work well. And that's when the conductor has to step in to correct the situation."

Lamoriello obviously is referring to Devils coach Pat Burns, who seems to have full control of the team and who makes sure the players are playing in the right positions.

"Everybody works for somebody," the Devils CEO said. "There are no egos in our organization, on or off the ice."

Trottier
10-21-2003, 11:48 AM
Certainly hope every NJ fans realizes how fortunate they are to have this guy running the organization.

IMO, the best executive in all of pro sports, bar none.

Slats432
10-21-2003, 12:01 PM
No doubt about it, Lou is the NHL's reigning executive king. :bow:

NJ_Devil_Boy
10-21-2003, 12:03 PM
It's tough seeing good players leave in FA, but if you can't afford it...you cannot afford it. How Lou keeps NJ going on strong is mind blowing. It's a good thing he has a very good Scout in Conte (and Co.), who should also be given credit for finding new guys to fill the holes.

:bow:

January 6, 2000

Penguins coach Herb Brooks, who coached the Devils for one season in 1992-93 said, "New Jersey is a good organization. Lou Lamoriello is a heck of a general manager. He's smart. He's on top of things. They had some holes to fill when I was there, and they were filled smartly and intelligently. He filled the holes down the middle and added a few things. It's just a good organization. It's run well. It's a good team with excellent players."

“I think Lou Lamoriello is one of the greatest GMs in professional sports,” Lightning assistant GM Jay Feaster said. “Every year, we have a seminar during the Stanley Cup finals and the NHL asks us who we'd like to hear as a guest speaker. My answer remains the same: I'd pay my own money to hear Lou talk about how he does his business. When he speaks, everyone in this league listens.''

:teach:

NJDevs430
10-21-2003, 07:15 PM
I wonder what Lou drank out of the Stanley Cup?
Kool-Aid anyone?
}:-)>