What concerns you the most right now?

Unthinkable
10-19-2003, 09:01 PM
Of the following statements above, which one is the most alarming so far keeping in mind its still very early in the season?

Tao Jones
10-20-2003, 12:39 AM
While the season is still young, all of the concerns you mention are correctable. The fact that there are more than just a few causes is what bothers me. The Devils are not playing Devils' hockey. It seems like they are playing with both eyes on the future instead of focusing on the present. This season should not be considered a rebuilding year, coming off a Cup win. There is no reason why this team should not repeat. Nothing wrong with trying new strategies to keep a step ahead of the opposition, but getting back to basics will help get this team back on track. It is one thing to have Hale and Martin up to learn the system with the vets, but the Devils are not playing the system, by having the D pinch and making risky passes out of their own zone. They are starting the rookies off with poor examples. Changing direction should happen gradually, not all at once. Burns is learning the new faces on the ice and on the coaching staff. The changes in personnel will require an adjustment period for everyone. The loss of veteran leadership falls heavily on Stevens, Burns should carry some of that burden, until new leaders in Nieds, Madden, Langs, etc., establish themselves in those roles.
I would like to see Brown and Giroux get a start soon.
Also, Larionov is getting acclimated to the speed and intensity of NJ's practices(see Brooks article below).

http://www.nypost.com/sports/3779.htm

DevilFisch
10-20-2003, 08:30 AM
Yeah, while most of those are correctable, blowing the leads conern me the most because it's the difference between a win and a loss or a tie. Meaning that the Devils did enough to win the game and could have, but they let it slip. That's huger than the goals for per game average or anything else.

tmg
10-20-2003, 10:49 AM
I voted other, because the thing that concerns me most is how this team plays without Niedermayer. Saturday's game is the only game yet that this team _lost_. And I feel they wouldn't have lost had Neids been on the ice. They probably would have lost the Boston game had he not been on the ice, and the same might be said about the Toronto game. It makes me worry about the future of this team should he test the unrestricted free agent waters at first opportunity. He has become the backbone of this team, and the team really suffers in his absence.

skariya18
10-21-2003, 12:17 AM
Devils haven't called up Steve Kariya yet...

Vanya
10-22-2003, 05:53 PM
After losing at home 2-1 to the Panthers on TWO late 3rd period goals, I think we have a winning answer...

ZadorovNJD*
10-22-2003, 05:54 PM
I'd like to change my vote...

MattNJD
10-22-2003, 06:06 PM
I'd like to change my vote...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

NJDevils#4
10-22-2003, 07:05 PM
I think you should have put a vote option in for "all of the above"

Tao Jones
10-23-2003, 03:07 AM
I think you should have put a vote option in for "all of the above"

Yup, that's why I voted for Other. Seriously, the Devils need to start putting in a 60-minute effort.

GentlemanOfLeisure
10-23-2003, 06:13 AM
Of the following statements above, which one is the most alarming so far keeping in mind its still very early in the season?

Nothing concerns me yet, except I now understand why all Sabres and Kings fans didnt like Eric Rassmussen. 1-2-2 isnt a great start, but im not concerned. I bet the Devils will be over .500 by Halloween.