Bertuzzi

imyourhuckleberry
10-20-2003, 07:56 AM
What was Bertuzzi's big turn around? I know he was thrown around to a few different teams before the caucks and has now become what I would consider the best power forward in the game, did someone coach him into playing better with his size or what? The sabres have had a bunch of big forwars that turned into nothing i.e. wayne primeau, and currently Taylor Pyatt, althought people still see alot of potential in pyatt. but what was Bertuzzi's big turn around?

PigPen
10-20-2003, 08:00 AM
Bluto didn't really bounce around...
He came over to Vancouver in the big Linden for McCabe, Bertuzzi trade.

His big turn around? Probably when he stopped beating himself up over a game if he made one bad play. At least that's what he says.

Mizral
10-20-2003, 08:00 AM
What was Bertuzzi's big turn around? I know he was thrown around to a few different teams before the caucks and has now become what I would consider the best power forward in the game, did someone coach him into playing better with his size or what? The sabres have had a bunch of big forwars that turned into nothing i.e. wayne primeau, and currently Taylor Pyatt, althought people still see alot of potential in pyatt. but what was Bertuzzi's big turn around?

Bertuzzi's big turnaround was a couple of things, if you ask me.

The first was Marc Crawford beating into his head the rights and wrongs out there.

Chemistry with Markus Naslund

But perhaps the biggest thing was just maturity

At the moment, Pyatt doesn't seem to show any of the signs Bertuzzi had at his age, so he'd better hurry up.

Peter Griffin
10-20-2003, 08:08 AM
Consistency.

Bertuzzi's biggest problem his first few seasons in Vancouver was a lack of consistency. One game he'd be the best player out on the ice, the next night he'd be invisible. It was the source for a lot of early baldness in B.C I think from people ripping their hair out in frustration over him. :D

How he gained consistency? Only he knows. Maybe he was motivated to prove his doubters wrong. Maybe something clicked inside his head. Or maybe he just decided to give a damn every night.

Impossibles
10-20-2003, 08:48 AM
The big turn around happened right after he got a 10 game suspension for coming off the bench to join a fight. I'm guessing watching from the press box made him realize that hehas to play smarter. For the most part, he's also been able to keep his emotions in check (yeah, he does ***** and whine, but he doesn't usually explode and get extra 2 mins or anything).

(note for BCers - bertuzzi is on 'snapshots' with J.H. at 3:30pm today)

imyourhuckleberry
10-20-2003, 08:52 AM
it sure would be nice to see a guy like pyatt jump into a fight, i dont think he has the emotion that bertuzzi has and his consistency is hair pulling but thats the way the entire team has been for the last 2 years basically. i have a feeling crawford gets them motivated and prepared and coaches them correctly.

Mizral
10-20-2003, 10:12 AM
it sure would be nice to see a guy like pyatt jump into a fight, i dont think he has the emotion that bertuzzi has and his consistency is hair pulling but thats the way the entire team has been for the last 2 years basically. i have a feeling crawford gets them motivated and prepared and coaches them correctly.

I agree. Pyatt is too disinterest & isn't physical enough at the moment. If he doesn't change his ways, he may end up like a Brad Isbister - stuck in flux.

Thalia
10-20-2003, 10:26 AM
he may end up like a Brad Isbister Pie faced?

jeffbrown
10-20-2003, 11:34 AM
The big turn around happened right after he got a 10 game suspension for coming off the bench to join a fight. I'm guessing watching from the press box made him realize that hehas to play smarter. For the most part, he's also been able to keep his emotions in check (yeah, he does ***** and whine, but he doesn't usually explode and get extra 2 mins or anything).

(note for BCers - bertuzzi is on 'snapshots' with J.H. at 3:30pm today)

Bertuzzi has stated in the past that the fight that cost him 10 games wasn't really a factor in his maturity. Maybe this is what he says, but it may have something to do with the maturity.

The thing with Bertuzzi was he actually did show he could be a star player, but wasn't consistent. He actually was pretty consistent with back to back 25 ish goal, 50 ish point seasons....which is pretty good.

Problem was he didn't bring it all every game.

I think with him, he is coached better in Vancouver, has chemistry with Naz, and was relieved of huge expectations from NYI.

Most of all, I think his greatness is attributed to him not being mentored by Clark Gillies, like the Islanders tried to!!! :joker:

Connecticut
10-20-2003, 11:53 AM
What turned around Bertuzzi in my mind was the trading of Donald Brashear and the subsequent friendship that solidfied between Todd and Markus Naslund. It was all attitude.

KOMO_ROCKS
10-20-2003, 02:09 PM
after his 10 game suspension 2 years ago(Parker - Jovo incident)....had tons of chemistry with Naslund ever since

Floppa!
10-20-2003, 04:28 PM
Not one hundred percent accurate, and I may just be talking out of my ass here but if I remember correctly one reason was because at first Bertuzzi wanted to emulate Brashear and be that kinda style player. After he was traded, and through some coaching and the friendship with Nazzy, he decided to be like the Captain, to instead of gooning it up to beat them with skill.

cc
10-20-2003, 05:22 PM
I honestly believe that a lot had to do with Keenan but also Naslund. Keenan basically rode him every game and made it seem like the team's success fell squarely on his shoulders. He started playing much better after that... much more confidence. That was his first turnaround. After that, when Crow appeared, he was already an established player somewhat if inconsistent but I think Naslund helped him improve to the player he is now. In fact, Bert attributes his development more to Naslund than anybody else.

Hobo
10-21-2003, 09:58 AM
Mike Milbury destroyed his confidence. When Bert arrived here his confidence was destroyed.

Bold prediction: Press Conference tomorrow. 3 years, $22.5 million.

Waveburner
10-21-2003, 06:56 PM
Bertuzzi himself credits his developement to:

Maturity/Game experience-knowing the little things, like where to go when you don't have the puck, finishing checks, etc...

Consistency-learning how to take each game one at a time, and not get too low after mistakes or too high after great games...

Conditioning-he can get through the 82 game schedule now without feeling drained for stretches...

Naslund-he just makes players around him better, and according to Todd-is easily the main reason why he is such a great scorer now.