Different take on Saturday's game

guzmania
10-20-2003, 09:15 AM
All Sunday I continued to grind this loss around my mental mill. I think the problem lies in a different area than many of you guys.

The kind of withering attack that was delivered by the Bruins would have shaken many, if not all, of the other defensive corps in the league. There was very little help for the decent but young, patchwork defense from the forwards in this game. They weren't helping move the puck up the ice and were happy to stay "safe" high in the zone. The B's just moved more guys low in our O zone. I've seen the ice tilt to one end like this but this was the most pronounced and devastating since the Blues came from 5 goals down in the playoffs, (the game I call the "Green, Green, Green Burrito game").

The forwards were "skered"-to use the venacular. Not one of our lines wanted any part of the big, bad, Bruins. The defense can't be blamed for NO shots in 30 mins. There should have been a physical presence on our bench. If you have to shorten the bench by misconducts, so be it. The lack of physical response was directly responsible for the way the second half of the game was played. One well placed charge, Green would have been a good candidate, might have changed the flow of the game. Sometimes calling a timeout is not the correct response to the situation that was occuring.

I am not a big fan of the rough stuff. I do know that when the rough stuff starts you must respond in kind. Bottomline Andy Murray got outcoached, not in a cerebral manner but in a lowbrow and strategic way. I believe this should be marked up as a coaching loss. This is also one of the few times that I have marked one against Andy Murray

kingsfan77
10-21-2003, 12:18 PM
I think the big problem, is the defense. Without vetrean defensmen like Matty and Miller, it's killing them. With young defensemen in the back, they fall apart at the end.

Kearney
10-21-2003, 05:20 PM
For the record, these were the players on the ice for Boston's 4 goals.

1) Modry/Visnovsky Palffy/Pirnes/Frolov

2) Modry/Visnovsky/Zizka Klatt/Armstrong

3) Modry/Visnovsky Belanger/Stumpel (Gleason penalty)

4) Gleason/Holland Avery/Belanger/Lappy

Zizka and Gleason each had two penalties in the game.