OT: Czechs and Slovaks

abev
01-18-2006, 10:39 AM
A question for the Czechs and/or Slovaks in attendence...

Is the Czech languange and the Slovak language close enough for both to understand each other? I forgot who it was the other night for the Rangers, but it was a Czech NY Ranger talking to a Slovak on the other team. It didnt look like they were asking "how's the family".

Wondering if they had to use english, or could be more "descriptive" in the their native language.

tommy5
01-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Czech and slovak languages are very simillar. We could say that they are the same, even there is few diferent words and accent is also a bit diferent.

But you shold know that Czech and Slovak republic were one state together since 1989. If I go from Czech to Slovak, I can speak and everybody understeands me, same as I understeand to anyone

12# Peter Bondra
01-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Its almost the same language with a different accent (a little bit).

Serena587
02-01-2006, 02:51 AM
I've been told that Polish is similar to both languages, as well.

12# Peter Bondra
02-01-2006, 01:57 PM
I've been told that Polish is similar to both languages, as well.
I wouldnt say that. Polish is similar but some words are totally different and the whole system is different too (not much).

Jazz
02-02-2006, 04:53 AM
I wouldnt say that. Polish is similar but some words are totally different and the whole system is different too (not much).But if you were comparing (linguistically speaking), Polish would be slightly closer to Slovak that to Czech...

12# Peter Bondra
02-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Probably. Althoguh the Polish Language uses quiet a lot of Z's in their words.

Art Vandelay
02-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Probably. Althoguh the Polish Language uses quiet a lot of Z's in their words.

"God created Polish by dropping his Scrabble box.

- Norrman Davies

Serena587
02-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Thanks, guys! I was under the impression that all the Slavic languages were very close and if you could speak one of them you could basically understand all of them. I'm Polish-American (third generation) and I really don't speak or understand much Polish at all. I'd love to learn someday, though! :)

Jazz
02-04-2006, 06:32 AM
Thanks, guys! I was under the impression that all the Slavic languages were very close and if you could speak one of them you could basically understand all of them. I'm Polish-American (third generation) and I really don't speak or understand much Polish at all. I'd love to learn someday, though! :)Not that easy.

If you split Slavic into it's 3 linguistic groups
West Slavic - (Czech, Slovak, Polish, Sorbian, etc)
East Slavic - (Russian, Ukrainian, Belorussian, etc)
South Slavic - (Croat, Slovenian, Serbian, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Macedonian, etc)

you will see that it is somewhat easier to communicate within the different groups, but harder with other groups

e-e
02-16-2006, 10:05 PM
A question for the Czechs and/or Slovaks in attendence...

Is the Czech languange and the Slovak language close enough for both to understand each other? I forgot who it was the other night for the Rangers, but it was a Czech NY Ranger talking to a Slovak on the other team. It didnt look like they were asking "how's the family".
Wondering if they had to use english, or could be more "descriptive" in the their native language.

they are close but...
we tend to think that both languages are very similar. reason is simple...we understand each other. we'd been together as a one country since 1918. both languages were official. we read czech books, watched czech movies and vice versa. in fact there were even slovak and czech characters in movies at that time. :teach:
so for most peaple it was no difference beween the two eventhough i've never used czech language. i've never have to. the same for czechs (and moravians - just for record). government even tried to mix slovaks and czechs together by sending young czecks to slovakia to serve their mandatory natianal army **** and vise versa. ....summer loves.... relationships....marriages...mix families....and so forth.
so because we live together and were "in touch" on daily basis...no one had problem to understand each other.
time's changed. we have separate flags and no more czech books (which is shame), no as much contact as we had once, waaaay less movies,....and so on.

and quess what?
the youngest generation have difficulty understand each other.
you don't use you lose it!!

i personaly think that polish is closer to slovak than czech and i only understand 50-60%...wild quess

i'd like to see a 30 years old slovak girl cooking using czech cook-book in 2020:D
is it "kmin" or "rasca" in slovak :dunno:

leden, unor, brezen, kveten, cerven, zelen, gula, zalud :help:

so slovak and czech are close but not as close as we tend to think :teach:

harper
03-29-2006, 07:34 AM
i personaly think that polish is closer to slovak than czech and i only understand 50-60%...wild quess

so slovak and czech are close but not as close as we tend to think :teach:

I am an english speaking canadian, who has lived in slovakia for a while and speaks intermediate slovak. In my experience, regions are very important when making such comparisons. I was in prague watching the WHC last year, and was talking with two girls, one from moravia (bordering slovakia) and one who lived in prague. The one from prague had a more difficult time understanding me, and the one from moravia translated a lot of words. of course, my brutal accent didnt help matters. I would take it as a given that czech and slovak hockey players dont have problem understanding each other...

In the north of slovakia, bordering poland, perhaps the local dialect is closer to polish than slovak...but "standard" slovak is ceratinly closer to czech. But i also strongly agree that czech and slovak are not as close as many czechs and slovaks claim...there are a ton of small differences, and they all add up to a noticeable difference.

e-e
03-30-2006, 02:51 PM
I am an english speaking canadian, who has lived in slovakia for a while and speaks intermediate slovak. In my experience, regions are very important when making such comparisons. I was in prague watching the WHC last year, and was talking with two girls, one from moravia (bordering slovakia) and one who lived in prague. The one from prague had a more difficult time understanding me, and the one from moravia translated a lot of words. of course, my brutal accent didnt help matters. I would take it as a given that czech and slovak hockey players dont have problem understanding each other...

In the north of slovakia, bordering poland, perhaps the local dialect is closer to polish than slovak...but "standard" slovak is ceratinly closer to czech. But i also strongly agree that czech and slovak are not as close as many czechs and slovaks claim...there are a ton of small differences, and they all add up to a noticeable difference.
my grand parents never enjoy watching czech movies. they have never undersood them completely. they had idea what's goin' on but never fully understand. they never had problem understand polish people. i have to add there are from eastern slovakia which most likely make the difference.

i had never talked to any polish guy until i came to canada. i was 30 years old whan i suddenly realized that i understand them. it was funny. they don't understand me but as i mentioned earlier i get 50-60% of what they say.

the fact that we were together for many years affects our opinions about how close our two languages are. there are not that close. and i still believe that slovak is closer to polish than czech!