Ref/Linesman Question

Trot
01-19-2006, 06:04 AM
Hopefully Van is around somewhere to see this, as he may be most likely to have an answer. First off, this has nothing to do with Nissen's performance last night in the Seattle/Spokane game even though I thought he had a bad game.

How are the Refs/Linesman chosen for games? I heard/read a while ago that some decisions are partially made by where they live (especially linesman) to try and keep travel costs down. Is there any truth to this? The reason I ask is Kevin Boris seems to be a linesman nearly every game in Seattle.

Which leads me to my point... it seems odd to me that he has so many Seattle games since he played for the Thunderbirds. I'm not questioning his ability or his calls, he has been a good linesman as far as I'm concerned. It's just that he's seen more KeyArena ice-time as an official than he ever did as a player. I haven't seen anything to question his morals, but say a playoff series comes down to a critical offsides call or face-off, would someone bring it up with the league?

Emerald City Bruin
01-25-2006, 02:08 AM
Hopefully Van is around somewhere to see this, as he may be most likely to have an answer. First off, this has nothing to do with Nissen's performance last night in the Seattle/Spokane game even though I thought he had a bad game.

How are the Refs/Linesman chosen for games? I heard/read a while ago that some decisions are partially made by where they live (especially linesman) to try and keep travel costs down. Is there any truth to this? The reason I ask is Kevin Boris seems to be a linesman nearly every game in Seattle.

Which leads me to my point... it seems odd to me that he has so many Seattle games since he played for the Thunderbirds. I'm not questioning his ability or his calls, he has been a good linesman as far as I'm concerned. It's just that he's seen more KeyArena ice-time as an official than he ever did as a player. I haven't seen anything to question his morals, but say a playoff series comes down to a critical offsides call or face-off, would someone bring it up with the league?

Boris? Edgley is here way more then he is.

FC
01-27-2006, 06:30 AM

Im not positive about the refs but Leonetti is the linesman for Spokane games alot and I know he was born and raised in Spokane. So my uneducated guess is that its all on locations.

BCCHL inactive
01-29-2006, 03:32 AM
The WHL has three levels of officials: Full Time, Part Time and Local.

Full Time guys are basically the referees. The majority, if not all of them, travel the entire league. I'm not sure if there are any full time linesmen anymore. I'm pretty sure linesmen who travel are regionalized. The majority of non-local linesmen I've seen in PG are Chichak, de Haan and Boudreau.

There are a lot of local linesmen in the WHL. These are usually guys with full time jobs and families who don't wish to have a travelling job with the league, and this is their way to get a taste of junior hockey. Local lineys can also be younger guys just breaking into the league and aren't ready to travel with the WHL yet.

If you see Boris all the time in Seattle and he doesn't do games elsewhere, and he played for the T-Birds in the past, he's likely a local linesman in Seattle (BTW, former players make the best officials ;) ). Same goes for Leonetti in Spokane. Hyatt, Koch, Martens and Storey are all local linesmen in PG, so you're likely to see at least one of them at every Cougars home game. The first round of the playoffs usually sees the WHL use local linesmen, but from then on, the best travelling guys get the assignments based on their game evaluations. There are cuts after each round.