What about Gauthier?

nikolai19
10-20-2003, 02:34 PM
Rumor has it that Denis Gauthier is on the block for the Flames. He is a pretty tough big defenseman that would certainly "add bite and grit" to our defense. Calgary is said to want some scoring in return.

What about

Denis Gauthier
for
Denis Grebeshkov

In five years this may not make a lot of sense, but Gauthier is only 27, 6'2" 225 lbs. and mean much like a Miller or a Norstrom. He comes pretty cheap too, only makes 1.3 million. When Norstrom and Miller come back that would give us three really tough d-man that could bang with any other team in the league.

Grebeshkov has a ton of potential but I think if LA wants to be serious about making a run this year, they should take a look at Gauthier.

Thoughts?

funky
10-20-2003, 02:39 PM
I think we can keep Grebs.. Calgary is looking for offence. Since Cammo is back soon and we have a ton of offensive prospects maybe we should offer Calgary something like Cammo and Modry?

Just a thought

Modry is cheap for them, provides offense from the blueline and Cammo can maybe pot some goals. I still think we would have to throw in a pick as well.

IGM
10-20-2003, 02:45 PM
I agree. I would love to have Gauth but not at the expense of Grebs. Especially when the Flames are looking for O. Hey, lets start another Ebell trade thread!

palffytofrovlov
10-20-2003, 02:56 PM
I triple that... we can't trade Grebs... I think we can afford to trade Cams or Aulin... I know Aulin is injured so Calgary won't want him... but Gauthier is the type of Defenseman the kings need.....

willie
10-20-2003, 03:18 PM
Gauthier for Grebs? No thanks.

We aren't THAT close to being a legimitate threat to justify trading away a kid with as much potential as Grebs to bring in a solid player who, while filling a much needed hole, is not going to be that type of difference maker.

That said, Gauthier would certainly be interesting. He would fill that gaping hole we have in regards to a bonafide, physical defenseman because, quite simply, neither Tim Gleason or Jason Holland is gonna cut it for 82 games.

But I think the cost would be too much. (especially since the Flames actually think they are a legitimate playoff contender and would be fighting for the same spots as us)

willie
10-20-2003, 03:19 PM
Without Deadmarsh and Allison there will be no run.

And Norstrom. And Miller. And another defenseman.

swinginutter*
10-20-2003, 04:28 PM
And Norstrom. And Miller. And another defenseman.

Everytime we have fun with rumors, we're always looking to give up the world for it. None of the mentioned deals make sense (except Modry and a draft pick)! DT has pulled off better players for absolutely nothing. Why would we give up a Cammy, Aulin, Grebs, or Belanger for Gauthier. Absolutely insane in my eyes. Why don't we start throwing names around like Lehoux, Zizka, Barney............draft picks whatever, but not players that have so much future potential. Lets give these kids a few "FULL" years and than make an assesment. ***** i've had to deal with Modry and Johnson for years, let's at least give these kids a chance.

Modry, 6th rnd pick for Gauthier............imo

jfont
10-20-2003, 04:49 PM
Modry, 6th rnd pick for Gauthier............imo
not gonna happen...

Jungle Boy
10-20-2003, 08:28 PM
if we go 7 or 6 months back we would remenber the props we were making for a #1 goalie and a #2 center. There was always a 1st round pick and a good prospect for one of those. We got all that we wanted for two 2004 2nd round picks.

jfont
10-20-2003, 08:32 PM
if we go 7 or 6 months back we would remenber the props we were making for a #1 goalie and a #2 center. There was always a 1st round pick and a good prospect for one of those. We got all that we wanted for two 2004 2nd round picks.
nobody is denying that...its just that gauthier won't be had for just another 2nd imo.

swinginutter*
10-21-2003, 06:56 AM
You have to give to get.

Other teams can offer more then Modry for him.

not gonna happen...

Sorry guys just don't buy it. First of all Calgary is looking to get rid of Gauthier (Spector's) or so the rumor claims.
So let's see.............Cechmanek = best goalie in regular season the last three years......2nd round pick (I know they wanted to get rid of him right).........Stumpel = great second line center at an affordable price, can almost be a point per game player in the NHL........2nd and 5th round pick. I don't want to have go through the history of DT and the rapings he's pulled off.
Why wouldn't Calgary want a player like Modry, they have no proven quaterback on the PP and he's really cheap, and that fits into their financial window.
My point is never say never, Gauthier is a fifth/sixth defenseman which you can get anywhere. And if Calgary is looking to ship him, I doubt they want the world for it. You people would wanna' give up a Cammy, Aulin, Grebs, or Belanger for Gauthier is just a complete laugh. And DT woudn't do it! (at least I hope not)

Capn Brown
10-21-2003, 10:57 PM
Gauthier? Sure!

For Lehoux and a 3rd round pick,

Or

For Lehoux and Zizka

Or

For Rosa, Zizka, and good ole Steve Kelly......LoL!