Strip Ollie of the C

justapantherfan
10-21-2003, 02:34 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think he deserved it, but if he keeps going the way he is going it will be back to 11 goals. Maybe we will see if he comes out to play again!

Chaos2k7
10-21-2003, 06:59 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think he deserved it, but if he keeps going the way he is going it will be back to 11 goals. Maybe we will see if he comes out to play again!

A guy with 30 shots on net in 6 games is producing just fine, and I for one have even yelled at him to shoot. He leads the league by a wide margin this year and the goals will no doubt come for him.

:handclap:

Heimy
10-21-2003, 07:10 AM
Keenan did something far worse to Olli last night. He took his crutch, Kozlov away to center the 2nd line. It'll be interesting to see if that split continues. If in fact it does, I'd like to see Huselius along side Kozlov for a couple of games. That might be the cure to the scoring drought.

Captain8
10-21-2003, 07:22 AM
Keenan did something far worse to Olli last night. He took his crutch, Kozlov away to center the 2nd line. It'll be interesting to see if that split continues. If in fact it does, I'd like to see Huselius along side Kozlov for a couple of games. That might be the cure to the scoring drought.

Yes, it's nice seeing a player with vision back in the middle again.
Huselius and Kozlov have never been paired for extended periods of time and it would be good if they were paired long enough for Huselius to start thinking like a scorer again -- finding open spaces and mixing in a more direct game.

Acadmus
10-21-2003, 10:35 AM
Yes, it's nice seeing a player with vision back in the middle again.
Huselius and Kozlov have never been paired for extended periods of time and it would be good if they were paired long enough for Huselius to start thinking like a scorer again -- finding open spaces and mixing in a more direct game.

I just wish Kozlov would figure out a balance to his game. He's the most complete player on the team, but never uses all his tools in the same game. He's got one of the hardest shots in the league (recall in his All-Star year he had the hardest shot for the Europeans at about 100mph) and it's also one of the most accurate (didn't he tie Bourque in the accuracy competition that year, too?). He's got great size if only he'd play physically (which we found out very briefly last season he's capable of doing). He's also always heralded as one of the best stickhandlers and passers in the league. He's also a good skater.

His shortcomings? First, he almost never plays a physical game, a waste of his huge frame, negating his potential for physical dominance. Second, he used to always pass, completely wasting his rocket shot. He gets criticized and coaxed to shoot, so he starts shooting all the time, wasting his passing abilities. Gets criticized for not using his teammates enough, back to always passing, and so on and so forth, season to season. He never finds a balance. I just wish he would. Then we wouldn't be relying on Jokinen to carry the offense and Huselius to always score the clutch goals. There'd be at least one other valid option.

Of course, if these guys don't start potting some, one more offensive weapon won't amount to much.

Captain8
10-21-2003, 11:44 AM
I just wish Kozlov would figure out a balance to his game. He's the most complete player on the team, but never uses all his tools in the same game. He's got one of the hardest shots in the league (recall in his All-Star year he had the hardest shot for the Europeans at about 100mph) and it's also one of the most accurate (didn't he tie Bourque in the accuracy competition that year, too?). He's got great size if only he'd play physically (which we found out very briefly last season he's capable of doing). He's also always heralded as one of the best stickhandlers and passers in the league. He's also a good skater.

His shortcomings? First, he almost never plays a physical game, a waste of his huge frame, negating his potential for physical dominance. Second, he used to always pass, completely wasting his rocket shot. He gets criticized and coaxed to shoot, so he starts shooting all the time, wasting his passing abilities. Gets criticized for not using his teammates enough, back to always passing, and so on and so forth, season to season. He never finds a balance. I just wish he would. Then we wouldn't be relying on Jokinen to carry the offense and Huselius to always score the clutch goals. There'd be at least one other valid option.

Of course, if these guys don't start potting some, one more offensive weapon won't amount to much.

Yes...to all of that.

Forgetting for a moment that his career, from day one, has been plagued by injuries, you know what Kozlov's biggest problem is?

That he started his career on the lousy Sharks and that he's playing now on the similarly struggling Panthers. With the exception of the one playoff year, the teams he has played for have left him in the position of figuring out too much. And the perverse part of it is that he has enough talent to actually try and make it seem like a noble attempt. And because of this, he may never succeed. I don't think anyone, including Kozlov, knows what kind of player he is.

PanthersRule96
10-21-2003, 01:48 PM
As much as all of you like Nilson, he isn't a top line player. WTF us Keenan doing keeping him there because he's missed so many chances and althought is an extremely valuable player with several intangibles (todays Sun-S) he can't seem to score (DiPietro in the wide open chance he had) When Nilson recieved the pass from Kozzie against NYI, Nilson was all alone and redirected it right at DiP. Now from playing hockey a lot at high levels, I know that if he skated towards that pass and gone backhand he would have had a goal. Undoubteldy that is what any goal scorer would do as DiPietro was sliding and a move like that would have put him way outta positition leaving Nils and open net. Its plays like that that can start the goal scoring. For those of you that say he didn't have time, he had at least 2.5 seconds with the puck before he would have had a defense on him.

Acadmus
10-22-2003, 04:40 AM
As much as all of you like Nilson, he isn't a top line player. WTF us Keenan doing keeping him there because he's missed so many chances and althought is an extremely valuable player with several intangibles (todays Sun-S) he can't seem to score

Nilson is on the top line to balance out the fact that Olli and Viktor aren't as likely to fight for the puck along the boards. Marcus is willing to dig it out, and often able to also, which then gives the Panthers puck possession. Olli and Viktor can't do anything with the puck if they don't have it.

So it would be nice if the Panthers had a guy who'd do all that and be able to score and pass exceptionally also, but it doesn't appear anyone else in the lineup is the complete package, either.

Back on Kozlov, it seems Brian Biggane is getting his story ideas from the forums here (this thread, in fact) - today's Palm Beach Post (online):
Link (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/auto/epaper/editions/wednesday/sports_f359cecca500d00f10b1.html)

BabyJagrov
10-22-2003, 06:01 AM
I don't think Olli needs Kozlov or needs top be stripped of the C !

Jokinen is now a player of his own and he can dominate a game by elevating the play of his linemates ! He has been one of our best forwards since the beginning of the season although he hasn't putted the points up, he has created the chance. He won't finish with 11 goals with the first games he has played so far !

BabyJagrov
10-22-2003, 06:18 AM
Nilson is on the top line to balance out the fact that Olli and Viktor aren't as likely to fight for the puck along the boards. Marcus is willing to dig it out, and often able to also, which then gives the Panthers puck possession. Olli and Viktor can't do anything with the puck if they don't have it.

So it would be nice if the Panthers had a guy who'd do all that and be able to score and pass exceptionally also, but it doesn't appear anyone else in the lineup is the complete package, either.

Back on Kozlov, it seems Brian Biggane is getting his story ideas from the forums here (this thread, in fact) - today's Palm Beach Post (online):
Link (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/auto/epaper/editions/wednesday/sports_f359cecca500d00f10b1.html)

Olli can't do anything without the puck ?

Please watch the game before making those statements ! :rolleyes:

Spiffy
10-22-2003, 07:00 AM

Please watch the game before making those statements ! :rolleyes: From what I've seen on national team play he can do almost anything with the puck....

Heimy
10-22-2003, 07:28 AM
Olli has the potential to be a complete player, but we haven't seen the kind of consistency from him yet to annoint him a star. He'll need to prove a few things first such as...

last season wasn't just an anomaly

he can contribute consistently without Kozlov on his line

he can lift the play of the players around him

If Olli can achieve these things he'll be worthy of the captaincy. As things stand the jury is still out.

Spiffy
10-22-2003, 07:32 AM
On the National team he was one of the reasons why Hagman was named best forward of the 2002 (or was it 2001?) World championship, ahead of guys like Palffy, Satan etc.

Acadmus
10-24-2003, 10:06 AM

Please watch the game before making those statements ! :rolleyes:

Come on, you know what I meant. He can't score or pass without the puck, or otherwise employ his offensive talents! Do I really have to spell it out for people, or did you not really read my post except that one line?

BabyJagrov
10-24-2003, 11:00 AM
Come on, you know what I meant. He can't score or pass without the puck, or otherwise employ his offensive talents! Do I really have to spell it out for people, or did you not really read my post except that one line?

Sorry buddy, I didn't understand it that way !