NJ Devils/Montreal Canadiens trade proposal

Unthinkable
10-21-2003, 03:37 PM
Inspired by a mentioning on RDS last night that Saku Koivu is ready to play, but possibly being held out of the lineup for trade reasons...

To NJ:
C Saku Koivu
RW Michael Ryder

To Montreal:
C Scott Gomez
LW Christian Berglund

How fair would this be for both teams and would it even be an option right now? I've watched Michael Ryder play the past couple of games and he looks like a rookie who could easily quiet all the talk of how impressive players like Ruutu and Bergeron should be this season. Last night he hit two posts and had four solid scoring chances making things happen nearly every shift I watched him on the ice. Kid would be awesome in NJ imo and seems to be headed for a sleeper calder run at this point.

4check22
10-21-2003, 03:43 PM
Inspired by a mentioning on RDS last night that Saku Koivu is ready to play, but possibly being held out of the lineup for trade reasons...

To NJ:
C Saku Koivu
RW Michael Ryder

To Montreal:
C Scott Gomez
LW Christian Berglund

How fair would this be for both teams and would it even be an option right now? I've watched Michael Ryder play the past couple of games and he looks like a rookie who could easily quiet all the talk of how impressive players like Ruutu and Bergeron should be this season. Last night he hit two posts and had four solid scoring chances making things happen nearly every shift I watched him on the ice. Kid would be awesome in NJ imo and seems to be headed for a sleeper calder run at this point.

I like Ryder as well. Why then would Montreal want to make this deal? Lose their heart and soul in Koivu and a Calder candidate for a career 60 point / year guy and another rookie with less potential than Ryder? If Montreal wanted to make the deal, I'd jump on it in a second, but this would only be a trade deadline deal if Montreal was out of it, and I don't think they will be out of it. They are going to be a good team this year.

Unthinkable
10-21-2003, 03:51 PM
If Gomez can do a similar job to what Koivu has done for $3.2 million less a year I think that would open their eyes up considerably. Lou would be taking on more salary then what he's paying out now, but it could be better balanced out with different players/picks thrown in the mix. Ribeiro is playing fantastic for them at center right now in the absence of Saku Koivu. I doubt Koivu's looking for a fresh start with a new team, but I wouldn't mind having him here in NJ. You are right about him being their heart and soul fan favorite though.

John Flyers Fan
10-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Koivu is a far better player than Gomez, but the key as it always is with him, is how long can he stay healthy.

I can't asy that I've seen Ryder yet, but from what I've heard he would be worth more than Berglund in a trade.

BLONG7
10-21-2003, 04:36 PM

To NJ:
C Saku Koivu
RW Michael Ryder

To Montreal:
C Scott Gomez
LW Christian Berglund

How fair would this be for both teams and would it even be an option right now? I've watched Michael Ryder play the past couple of games and he looks like a rookie who could easily quiet all the talk of how impressive players like Ruutu and Bergeron should be this season. Last night he hit two posts and had four solid scoring chances making things happen nearly every shift I watched him on the ice. Kid would be awesome in NJ imo and seems to be headed for a sleeper calder run at this point.No way guys... trade reasons are more along the lines of Ribs or Perrault being shown for a trade not Koivu.

Missionhockey
10-21-2003, 05:01 PM
I posted this on the trade rumors board

Montreal gets: Berglund 2nd round pick

NJ gets: Perrault

Unthinkable
10-21-2003, 05:04 PM

We need someone with his faceoff skills and another scoring winger by all means.

H3ro
10-21-2003, 06:10 PM

Montreal doesn't need Berglund. If the Habs trade Perreault to NJ, it will be against a 4th round pick at maximum...

H3ro
10-21-2003, 06:14 PM

To NJ:
C Saku Koivu
RW Michael Ryder

To Montreal:
C Scott Gomez
LW Christian Berglund

And why not:
Patrice Brisebois
Joe Juneau
Donald Audette
Vs.
Brian Rafalski
Michael Rupp?

Come on, make at least a proposal that make sense. From an Habs' point of view, there is NO way they will accept that.

Unthinkable
10-21-2003, 06:48 PM
And why not:
Patrice Brisebois
Joe Juneau
Donald Audette
Vs.
Brian Rafalski
Michael Rupp?

Come on, make at least a proposal that make sense. From an Habs' point of view, there is NO way they will accept that.

Scott Gomez is one of the best bargains in the NHL today at $1 million a year. If you can't see the logic in the Canadiens grabbing a young established playmaker who has 2 Stanley Cups on his resume for absolutely peanuts and then spending the savings on another top six scoring foward then so be it. Your team can use size and toughness upfront which Berglund provides along with his untapped offensive skills. Tell me what it would take to get Koivu and Ryder if I'm so far off here and this is so insulting. I think people sometimes forget how cheap Gomez could come.

KOMO_ROCKS
10-21-2003, 07:55 PM
I like Ryder as well. Why then would Montreal want to make this deal? Lose their heart and soul in Koivu and a Calder candidate for a career 60 point / year guy and another rookie with less potential than Ryder? If Montreal wanted to make the deal, I'd jump on it in a second, but this would only be a trade deadline deal if Montreal was out of it, and I don't think they will be out of it. They are going to be a good team this year.

exactly....no way the habs will trade Michael Ryder and Saku Koivu. The habs have great chemistry right now and Ryder is playing great so far. Why would Montreal mess with a winning chemistry? Sure Koivu is not in the lineup right now, but i am sure he will respond well when he comes back on Thursday. No way Gainey will do this ;)

Niedermayer21
10-21-2003, 08:26 PM
No reason to trade for Saku Koivu. He is always hurt and we need players who are durable as well as productive.

This could be our lineup entering the playoffs:

Friesen--Gomez--Berglund
Elias--Larionov/Rupp--Suglobov/Marshall
Pandolfo--Madden--Langenbrunner
Brylin--Rasmussen--Marshall/Gionta/Stevenson

Rafalski--Stevens
Niedermayer--White
Martin/Albelin/Hale/Brown

Brodeur
Schwab

Where do we need improvement?

KOMO_ROCKS
10-21-2003, 08:30 PM
No reason to trade for Saku Koivu. He is always hurt and we need players who are durable as well as productive.

This could be our lineup entering the playoffs:

Friesen--Gomez--Berglund
Elias--Larionov/Rupp--Suglobov/Marshall
Pandolfo--Madden--Langenbrunner
Brylin--Rasmussen--Marshall/Gionta/Stevenson

Rafalski--Stevens
Niedermayer--White
Martin/Albelin/Hale/Brown

Brodeur
Schwab

Where do we need improvement?

it is pretty obvious to me that Lameriolla will probably try to address the weakness at center ice......Specifically a center with size that can play on the first line instead of Gomez...a guy like Arnott(back again) would help in that regard

Unthinkable
10-21-2003, 08:41 PM
it is pretty obvious to me that Lameriolla will probably try to address the weakness at center ice......Specifically a center with size that can play on the first line instead of Gomez...a guy like Arnott(back again) would help in that regard

Agreed, although I don't think Arnott will be invited back for another tour of duty here for some reason. Arnott finally had a great game in his last matchup the other night after looking kind of lost for the first few. I feel the Devils are at the very least a 30-35 goal scoring right winger and a definitive number one center with faceoff prowess/versatility to shift to wing when needed away from matching up much better with the Ottawa Senators of the NHL. They are a year wiser and only getting better and better as a team with players like Havlat and Spezza just chomping at the bit to get more and more ice time. Scary stuff when you think about it.

I hope Ryder does challenge for the Calder this season. He's been fun as hell to watch thus far. Love the new Canadiens uniforms as well. Those are sweet looking.

KOMO_ROCKS
10-21-2003, 08:50 PM
I hope Ryder does challenge for the Calder this season. He's been fun as hell to watch thus far.

Yeah, i hope for the same......Ryder has been great so far....so poised and mature for his age. He sees the ice real well and gets a lot of shots each game for the most part. What i am most excited about Ryder is that he can not only put the puck in the net and add an offensive threat but he is also quite physical and is not afraid to go in the corners to muck it up

GentlemanOfLeisure
10-22-2003, 07:49 AM
Patrice Brisebois for scott clemmenson and 3rd round pick, and we pay only 1/2 of brisebois's salary.

Unthinkable
10-22-2003, 09:05 AM
Rupp's our only center right now with good size. We deal him away and we'll need to add more size down the middle in a separate deal or we'll be in store for even more Todd Bertuzzi bulldozer through the crease goals.