Balmochnykh is back

ratsgirl
10-22-2003, 04:26 AM
sounds like he had a very tough time...:(

(also adrian foster is back on the ice. and ari ahonen is scheduled to return to albany after arthroscopic knee surgery. don't know if i can handle all this news at once.)

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=182080&category=RIVERRATS&BCCode=&newsdate=10/22/2003

DELMAR -- When Maxim Balmochnykh came over to the New Jersey Devils last season from Anaheim in a high-profile trade that also brought Stanley Cup hero Jeff Friesen, he returned to his native Russia for "personal reasons" and played only 12 games.

The 24-year-old winger returned to training camp this fall with the Devils, but the death of his child summoned Balmochnykh back home shortly before the season began. A front-office misunderstanding actually left him suspended, but that's all straightened out now and he's ready to help the River Rats.

"It was very tough," said the rugged 6-foot-1, 210-pounder from Lipetsk of the loss of his child. "I want to play here. I like my teammates, and this is the best organization right now."

Blackjack
10-22-2003, 09:46 AM
The 24-year-old winger returned to training camp this fall with the Devils, but the death of his child summoned Balmochnykh back home shortly before the season began. A front-office misunderstanding actually left him suspended, but that's all straightened out now and he's ready to help the River Rats.

"It was very tough," said the rugged 6-foot-1, 210-pounder from Lipetsk of the loss of his child. "I want to play here. I like my teammates, and this is the best organization right now."

Wow. My apologies to Balmochnykh, as I thought the worst of him. How horrible to lose a child. :(

Niedermayer21
10-22-2003, 10:46 AM
Sergei Brylin lost his father and Maxim lost his child this year.

Does anyone have any ideas of how we can send our condolences to both from all the regular posters on Hockey's Future?

I feel we owe it to Sarge, and it would make Maxim feel good that people care about him in this difficult time.

Any thoughts would be welcome!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!