Pens Claim Steve Webb

The Tang
10-22-2003, 09:42 AM
got him from Philly off waivers and sent simpson down to WBS. its on the pens main site.

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/press/arts/527.0.php

im not sure a whole lot why they did this move, but they did. i assume he'll be on the 4thj line.

Jacob
10-22-2003, 09:43 AM
Keep him away from Rozsival.

fabs
10-22-2003, 10:14 AM
got him from Philly off waivers and sent simpson down to WBS. its on the pens main site.

im not sure a whole lot why they did this move, but they did. i assume he'll be on the 4thj line.

the islanders play the pens saturday

SuburbanRhythm
10-22-2003, 10:28 AM

I'm confused....the Flyers just signed him right? And as they tried to send him down, we grabbed him off waivers?

Why didn't we just sign him 2 days ago if we wanted him? And why, if he'd been w/o a team all year, didn't the Flyers sign him to a minor league deal to begin with? It's not like he had too much leverage.

Just odd.

Evilo
10-22-2003, 10:32 AM
Don't like it.
We don't have a single spot for him.
Or that means losing a guy like Kraft through waivers or sending down a youngster.

Really don't like it.

Superstar Shane
10-22-2003, 10:41 AM
Or that means losing a guy like Kraft through waivers or sending down a youngster.
Actually, it means sending down Reid Simpson (unless he gets claimed from waivers).

Koltsov71
10-22-2003, 10:44 AM
Ideal situation is that he replaces McKenna. But I doubt that will happen.

john g
10-22-2003, 11:09 AM
woo hoo continue the acquiring of crap!!!!

sigh - SImpson, McKenna and now Webb

The Tang
10-22-2003, 12:22 PM
Actually, it means sending down Reid Simpson (unless he gets claimed from waivers).
simpson wasnt claimed in the waiver draft, so does he still have to pass through waivers?

kutdacheez
10-22-2003, 12:36 PM
Ideal situation is that he replaces McKenna. But I doubt that will happen.
Simpson went down and I think you may be right Koltsov . . . sooner or later McKenna won't have a spot on this team anymore. That's when you know it's really improving. Webb can go toe-to-toe with anyone, but is a fourth line non-scoring RW that skates well and fights . . . IMHO better than McKenna. Because he actually wins some fights!

However, who really knows about McKenna we do have a passion to keep the stand-up comics way past their due.

look out for orpik
10-22-2003, 12:51 PM
does anyone know if hes playing tonight? i would hope so because he prob was in philly and thats not that far. go train wreck! :rolly:

Jag68Sid87
10-22-2003, 01:08 PM
Well,
he's better than McKenna.

Ticallion961
10-22-2003, 01:25 PM
The only time i've really ever seen him play was in the leafs/islanders series two years ago...he was great in the series...hitting everything that moved, especially tucker

i just watched the highlights from that series...dear god did Webb hit a lot. They weren't light checks either, he was laying people out left and right. It's pretty amazing how many beautiful hits a guy could have in one series.

If he hits like that all the time, he'll become a fan favorite in no time

GoPenguins
10-22-2003, 01:37 PM
Well, I guess the Pens seem to like picking up discarded former Islanders. I think Webb would have to do something pretty darn special to match Tarnstrom in value. However, I like the fact he flies around and is not afraid of hitting people. He could fit in well on the 4th line with Eastwood and Buchberger. Does Webb kill penalties?

Koltsov71
10-22-2003, 01:52 PM
Webb isn't that great of a fighter, but he is great at agitating.

Der Schweinehund
10-22-2003, 01:57 PM
The only time i've really ever seen him play was in the leafs/islanders series two years ago...he was great in the series...hitting everything that moved, especially tucker

i just watched the highlights from that series...dear god did Webb hit a lot. They weren't light checks either, he was laying people out left and right. It's pretty amazing how many beautiful hits a guy could have in one series.

If he hits like that all the time, he'll become a fan favorite in no time

I remember that as well. It was very entertaining to watch.

Maybe it's that the Pens are going to take the Hanson-brother approach to winning and getting fans in the stands and just bring in goons.

All we really can do is wait and see. Will he play tonight? :dunno:

Koltsov71
10-22-2003, 02:00 PM
Will he play tonight? :dunno:

I doubt it. Saturday at the earliest, I'd say.

KungFuPenguin
10-22-2003, 02:22 PM
His ferocious hitting will be a welcome addition. As long as he sticks to 4th line duty I don't have a problem with this move at all.

Wingboy2999
10-22-2003, 02:27 PM
He had some good hits in the highlights on SportsNet. He steamrolled Belak in that old clip. Good energy guy.

Ticallion961
10-22-2003, 02:27 PM
i was reading on the Flyers board that he has a bad back...might be a problem, especially with the style he plays

Big McLargehuge
10-22-2003, 03:23 PM
His ferocious hitting will be a welcome addition. As long as he sticks to 4th line duty I don't have a problem with this move at all.

agreed.

He's better than Simpson and McKenna at the very least.

Langevin26
10-22-2003, 04:52 PM
Die-Hard Islander fan here, I was disappointed when the Islanders didnt re-sign Webb over the summer, but we have to many good young players that deserve a chance and his spot had to be left open.

On Webb's talent, he is a human wrecking ball, hits hard and clean, has to be one the best in the league (IMO). The problem with Steve is his back. He does get hurt a lot due to lack of respect for his body. He is definately a 4th line guy, extremely limited hockey skills, don't expect him to score or kill penalities (Mckenna has more offensive skill). He will fight but he is not very good at it, he draws a lot of penalties because somebody always goes after him after he wrecks them.

If he stays healthy trust me the fans will love him, watch the game Saturday night if he plays againist us (Isles). The crowd will without question be chanting his name.

Jacob
10-22-2003, 07:42 PM
I remember he was an alternate captain for a little while with the Isles. Wasn't that in the playoffs?

The Tang
10-22-2003, 08:05 PM
well, from what im hearing, it is a pretty good pick up. nice to have a speedy hitter.

for those wandering, if a player is signed after the waiver draft then they have to be placed on waivers first according to nhl rules.

Pensfan66
10-22-2003, 09:34 PM
He's definitly an upgrade over Steve McKenna. I love how he flies all over the ice. The best part is he has no fear at all.

Jacob
10-22-2003, 10:22 PM
I don't know, I thought McKenna played well tonight. Those 9 goals last season were no fluke, I think he's genuinely more talented than the average goon.

But neither Webb nor McKenna are every day players. And this team right now is all about competition.

Unholy Diver
10-22-2003, 10:41 PM
another punching bag

SuburbanRhythm
10-23-2003, 03:37 AM
This explains a little further why things happened as they did....

http://www.post-gazette.com/penguins/20031023penslog1023p5.asp He was signed by the Flyers out of unrestricted free agency last week, but NHL rules call for any player signed after the September waiver draft and before Dec. 1 to be put through the waiver wire first.

Langevin26
10-23-2003, 04:09 AM
I remember he was an alternate captain for a little while with the Isles. Wasn't that in the playoffs?

The Islanders rewarded the players that were here the longest. After the Isles clinched 2 years ago they gave the 3 stars to Jonnson, Lapointe, and Webb. They also made Webb and "A" in one of the games at home againist the Leafs.

303Joe
10-23-2003, 06:09 AM
Watched for years. The guy gives what he has every shift he plays the problem is he maybe one of the least talented players in the league. Hes a great agitator as long as he doesn't drop his gloves hes alright. When the gloves come off lets say he can take a beating w/ the best of them. Problem has been he has been getting abck spams and missing 5-10 games a clip when this occurs. Isles didn't have to resign him after they got Godard a true heavywieght and they also had several younger players that they wanted to get some playing time to and Webb would just take up a spot. I saw a few questions on the board about him. 1st the question why the Pens just didn't sign him 2 days ago instead of letting Philly sign him. maybe the Pens waitied to see what he was going to sign for and if it was a 2 way contract. Also saw some guys talking about McKenna. McKenna is a little better players than WEbb is. Have fun watching Webb run around when hes running around he great to watch just don't expect much else from him other than some great hits.

Darth Vitale
10-23-2003, 06:26 AM
I'll take 3 or 4 bone-crushing hits a game, over a 1 in 20 chance that McKenna will win a fight or tip the puck into the net on any given night. Maybe McKenna isn't going anywhere. Maybe he scratches every night Webb plays, and comes in when Webb has his back go out.

Anyway, as somenoe else noted, the idea behind a guy like Webb is to get the crowd involved every night... and the Pens need that badly. Last night's telecast sounded like it was being beamed into my home from a funeral parlor.

"Are the fans dead?" I wondered....

:p

303Joe
10-23-2003, 06:47 AM
I'll take 3 or 4 bone-crushing hits a game, over a 1 in 20 chance that McKenna will win a fight or tip the puck into the net on any given night. Maybe McKenna isn't going anywhere. Maybe he scratches every night Webb plays, and comes in when Webb has his back go out.

Anyway, as somenoe else noted, the idea behind a guy like Webb is to get the crowd involved every night... and the Pens need that badly. Last night's telecast sounded like it was being beamed into my home from a funeral parlor.

getting the fans into the game w/ his big hits. Have fun watching him hes is a fun player to watch. As an isles fan I have nothing bad to say about him. As I said earlier he gives it his all every shift he plays. Alot of fans were sad to see him not resigned. The Isles though got a bigger much needed heavyweight in Godard and then has several younger players they wanted to get a look at. Thats why Webb went unsigned. I'm gald he was signed by another team and has a chance to play in the NHL.

aylib
10-23-2003, 07:30 AM
I was hoping that the Wild would sign/pick him up. I like him...seems like Toronto fans hate him though.

look out for orpik
10-23-2003, 08:01 AM
well apparently they've wanted him since the summer .... i really like this pickup, cant wait to see him in action :rolly:

He did say, however, that the Penguins had been considering signing Webb since this summer. "We talked about him all summer long, but we couldn't make the right decision back early in the summer because we didn't know exactly how our lineup was going to shake out."

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/penguinslive/s_161388.html

Evilo
10-23-2003, 08:14 AM
For Simpson I'm fine with it.

Ticallion961
10-23-2003, 09:24 AM
I was hoping that the Wild would sign/pick him up. I like him...seems like Toronto fans hate him though.

its no wonder leaf fans hate him, in that series two years ago he was a menace, he had so many very hard hits. He looked as though he was out for tuckers blood during the series, even before the peca thing

Ric Flair
10-23-2003, 09:47 AM

They were prolly all listening to a Bill Cowher press conference repeated for the 26th time on a set of headphones.

Mr. T
10-23-2003, 10:08 AM
They were prolly all listening to a Bill Cowher press conference repeated for the 26th time on a set of headphones.
:lol:

The Tang
10-23-2003, 01:56 PM
the more i think about this, the more i really like it. the Pens really do need someone like this.

also, since i didnt really get to see him play, does Lefevbre play like Webb at all?

AEKaki
10-23-2003, 06:45 PM
the more i think about this, the more i really like it. the Pens really do need someone like this.

also, since i didnt really get to see him play, does Lefevbre play like Webb at all?

our Lefevbre?

hmmm
no

The Tang
10-23-2003, 07:25 PM
our Lefevbre?

hmmm
no
yeah. all i really know about his style is a high speed checker, but i dont know how hard he hits or how often. i know he has some scoring touch to him. i was refering more to the energetic/hitting style, if he did this in a similar way to webb.

btw, webb will be scratched for the devils game, as the Pens want him to get some conditioning first.

Smash255
10-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Webb is a guy that can really hit and is an agitator. His fighting skills are sub par, but he does fight better than McKenna. He has no offensive skill, and he has problems staying healthy. I really enjoyed what Webb brought to the Isles, but with the emergance of Godard as the true heavyweight he really had no place.

CJHF13
10-26-2003, 07:34 AM
We're becoming the Pittsburgh Islanders.

Der Schweinehund
10-27-2003, 02:34 PM
We're becoming the Pittsburgh Islanders.

Given how players have almost universally blossomed after leaving Long Island (in the Mad Mike regime), count me in for saying "I don't mind being the Pittsburgh Islanders at all." :D

Big McLargehuge
10-27-2003, 04:24 PM
besides Webb the only player we have that came from Long Island is Dick Tarnstrom...