Canucks need another Centerman!!!

sdbullet
10-22-2003, 10:11 AM
Despite the success of the current 3rd line (Arvedsson-Linden-Cooke), in the long run I think it would be more beneficial for the Canucks to be playing Linden on the wing. His overall game, intensity wise seems to get lost when he is playing center. I would love to see the Canucks acquire a 3rd line center such as Curtis Brown, or a hard-nosed gritty center to play on the 4th line and move Chuby back to the 3rd line. I know that everyone will ask the question what happens to Arvedsson, I think moving Arvedsson to the 4th line will help out even more with depth and defensive play. He will still get decent minutes killing penalties, and being put out there in key defensive situations. I also think that playing with someone like Chuby he will still have potential to score between 25-35 points, especially on this team. It may mean taking some even strength playing time away from the WCE, but they make up for it on the PP. Also even though King is playing great right now, if he happens not to keep up this pace, then we could move someone like Cooke up to either one of the first two lines, and move Arvedsson back to the third line.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome.

galiano
10-22-2003, 10:17 AM
Despite the success of the current 3rd line (Arvedsson-Linden-Cooke), in the long run I think it would be more beneficial for the Canucks to be playing Linden on the wing.

I agree that Linden is a better right winger than he is a centre but the Canucks / Moose are deep at centre. If they need anything it probably is a tough 2nd or 3rd line winger. But at the moment they don't need anything at all.

If it ain't broke - don't fix it.

orcatown
10-22-2003, 01:10 PM
Linden prefers center and has played his best hockey at center. There is very little evidence that he is a better right winger. The record shows he has more success at center. Certain his offensive numbers are better at center. Also he's better at center in his own end.

He has said, in interviews, that he things he has more effect on the game when he plays center. That he feels more comfortable there.

His line has probably been the best Canuck line in the early going. Linden has been showing that he wants to stay where he is. Why in the world should we move him out of the position he's done so well at.

ping
10-22-2003, 02:00 PM
Sorry orcatown. I have to disagree. I remember hearing him talk about this...maybe it was on CBC. Trevor said that he prefers to play right wing but in light of the situation on the team he'll play center. He said he feels that when he plays wing he can be more free and have more offensive opportunities. This was an interview with him around a week ago.

Yammer
10-22-2003, 02:17 PM
I also prefer Linden at centre. While I would not be upset to read that the Canucks have signed Adam Oates for the rest of the season, I think that Linden's career has been heading in the Joel Otto direction (big shut down centre) for some time. Though he's not a mean player, he has the size and strength to match up with the Keith Primeaus and the Joe Thorntons of the league.

As for what Linden wants, what I've heard him say is that he can envision a situation where playing RW is good for him, but that he has more effect on the game at C and can better employ his skating (which was once elite and is still very good).

xtra
10-22-2003, 04:58 PM
Truly unless we get a center like a peca or Madden i don't think there are many that i want centering a third line than Linden.

Basically if hes not an elite shutdown man then forget about it.

Impossibles
10-22-2003, 05:05 PM
Truly unless we get a center like a peca or Madden i don't think there are many that i want centering a third line than Linden.

Basically if hes not an elite shutdown man then forget about it.

I agree 100%.

And Chubby and Lindgren can both be that solid shut-down man.

Jon Burke
10-22-2003, 06:23 PM
Despite the success of the current 3rd line (Arvedsson-Linden-Cooke), in the long run I think it would be more beneficial for the Canucks to be playing Linden on the wing. His overall game, intensity wise seems to get lost when he is playing center. I would love to see the Canucks acquire a 3rd line center such as Curtis Brown, or a hard-nosed gritty center to play on the 4th line and move Chuby back to the 3rd line. I know that everyone will ask the question what happens to Arvedsson, I think moving Arvedsson to the 4th line will help out even more with depth and defensive play. He will still get decent minutes killing penalties, and being put out there in key defensive situations. I also think that playing with someone like Chuby he will still have potential to score between 25-35 points, especially on this team. It may mean taking some even strength playing time away from the WCE, but they make up for it on the PP. Also even though King is playing great right now, if he happens not to keep up this pace, then we could move someone like Cooke up to either one of the first two lines, and move Arvedsson back to the third line.

We have a so-called glut of forwards as it is, so we'd have to move someone to get someone. And considering how stubborn Burke (and Canuck fans to a lesser degree) are about making deals, it's unlikely we'd give up what it would take for someone like Curtis Brown. And if it ain't broke, why fix it? You may argue that this is in anticipation of something breaking, but I say we go with what we have and see how they do. We have a lot of depth as it is.

orcatown
10-22-2003, 06:26 PM
Man - I heard him say just the opposite. Said he prefered center because he could have more impact and was freer to use his skating skills. Said he would play whether they thought he was needed but liked center better. Anyhow that's what he said in the interview I saw.

cc
10-22-2003, 06:26 PM
Arvedson was originally a centerman. In fact, if you look at the hockey guide book, it still lists him as a center.

cyrisweb
10-22-2003, 06:58 PM
Man - I heard him say just the opposite. Said he prefered center because he could have more impact and was freer to use his skating skills. Said he would play whether they thought he was needed but liked center better. Anyhow that's what he said in the interview I saw.

Are you sure about that.. I seem to remember him saying that stuff, but it was about him prefering the right wing much more. Which would make sence as all those things you mentioned would be true on the wing. On Centre he does NOT have the freedom as he HAS to be the most defensively responsible forward. There's a reason why fans thought he would rack up more points on the wing rather than in the middle.

Peter Griffin
10-22-2003, 07:48 PM
I remember interview with Linden just a couple weeks a go where he said that he prefers to play the wing at it allows him to better use his speed and he feels more comfortable in his defensive responsibilities on the wing.

Rageinthecage
10-22-2003, 08:42 PM
Considering he appears comfortable at both positions, I don't see a problem either way. If the team expects more offense from Linden, then right wing makes more sense for him. If the pressure is off his shoulders to provide a healthy portion of the secondary scoring (as it is at the moment with the triplets producing well), the team might as well use him at center. With his size, defensive presence, faceoff skills, etc, he certainly is effective in the middle as a much needed large pivot. When Lindgren returns, there are options available for Linden to play wing again. In the meantime, that third line has been excellent, no need to fix what doesn't need fixing.

cc
10-22-2003, 10:16 PM
The Canucks are gonna realize that they need a #1 center with experience come playoff time . Morrison is good but , he's not a #1 center .

2003 - Nieuwendyk
2002 - Yzerman , Fedorov
2001 - Sakic , Forsberg
2000 - Arnott , Holik , Madden , Gomez (best set of centers in awhile)
1999 - Modano , Nieuwendyk

When Sakic and Forsberg first won the cup, they were both relatively inexperienced in the playoffs. That was Foppa's first year. It's nice, but if you can get an experienced supporting cast, it's not crucial. Right now, the Canucks have Morrison, Sedin, Linden, Chuby, and Lindgren. That should be enough experience at center to get by.

In fact, in 2000, NJ didn't have any #1 centers as Arnott wasn't regarded as such and I'd hardly think Madden and Gomez were experienced.

cc
10-22-2003, 10:56 PM
The 2000 Devils team had the best centers in the league that year . Arnott,Gomez,Holik and Madden. I've never seen a team with such good centers.

but they still didn't fit the criteria that you set out with through your post. None of them were considered #1 centers and 2 of the 4 had no previous playoff experience.

Ironchef Chris Wok*
10-23-2003, 02:47 AM
Well... Linden is probably the best faceoff guy on the team. It would probably be the ONLy reason he's playing center.