NJ Devils vs. Florida Panthers @ 7:30 PM EST - 10/22/03

Unthinkable
10-22-2003, 02:46 PM
Devils are 2nd in the league on the PP to Ottawa.

Sean Brown is in the lineup this evening along with David Hale. Paul Martin gets a night off.

NJDraft
10-22-2003, 02:53 PM
Everybody has a good goaltender,it seems. Will NJ get 3 tonight?

I hope so, they are due.

Vanya
10-22-2003, 03:20 PM
No score after one...

And I heard something about a Kovalev-Jagr deal??? I didn't hear all of it, but heard those two names... What gives?

Unthinkable
10-22-2003, 03:22 PM
No score after one...

And I heard something about a Kovalev-Jagr deal??? I didn't hear all of it, but heard those two names... What gives?

I heard one deal just announced which was Battaglia to the Caps for Konawalchuk. Paul Kariya has a sore wrist right now. Not sure about a possible Jagr deal though.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=58012&hubName=nhl

Vanya
10-22-2003, 03:37 PM
I heard one deal just announced which was Battaglia to the Caps for Konawalchuk. Paul Kariya has a sore wrist right now. Not sure about a possible Jagr deal though.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=58012&hubName=nhl

Strong chance I misheard... But it sounded like something that was discussed. Oh well.

Interesting trade for the Avs. Uncertain why they gave up on Bates after giving up Vrbata for him at the deadline last year. That's not much time for a player to get acclimated, and it seems like Battaglia is the kind of player the Avs need. But Konowalchuk is a solid player...

Vanya
10-22-2003, 04:41 PM
Huselius (I think) scores to tie it at 1 on a deflection with just over 5 minutes to go off a Boumeester pass/shot from the corner. Ouch.

Vanya
10-22-2003, 04:43 PM
Ooooh looks like it was tipped by Rafalski as he was trying to cover Huselius.

F$#^%#%#$ Panthers up 2-1... Jokinen... WHAT THE#%#@$%$%$%^$$%$@#$%$%@#$%@#$!

Unthinkable
10-22-2003, 04:44 PM
Not again.

Vanya
10-22-2003, 04:48 PM
Devils pressure in the last minute... Luongo save on a point-blank shot by Langs...

40-something seconds left

Vanya
10-22-2003, 04:51 PM
Bad.

Where's that poll about the most startling thing so far this year? These blown leads are starting to worry me...

Unthinkable
10-22-2003, 04:54 PM
That was a brutal loss. How in the hell does this team let up after controlling for so much of the game???? WTF happened to our goal scoring and power play? I know Luongo is a great young goalie, but jesus h -1 goal just sucks ass.

NJDevils#4
10-22-2003, 04:54 PM
It's time for some offense. We have no finishers on this team. God I've said it to myself so many times...

OUR TALENT IS WEAK ON O!!!!!!!

1st line material -

Elias

2nd line material -

Gomez, Friesen

Awesome 3rd line -

Pandolfo - Madden - Langs

And then there's the rest of the team as 4th liners.

LOU GET US SOME SCORING!!

Vanya
10-22-2003, 04:59 PM
A winning faceoff in the final minutes would have been a bonus... Yanic Perreault anyone?

Unthinkable
10-22-2003, 05:00 PM
I think Pat Burns had a comment for Doc and Checo before the game basically saying it was too early in the season for Lou to make any deals and that they still want to evaluate what they have here which isn't good news for us fans. What a rotten lapse.

MattNJD
10-22-2003, 05:02 PM
Unacceptable. This season could not have started off worse. Our defense sucks, our offense is worse. There is absolutly NO chemistry on this team. NONE! Elias and Gomez, terrible. Why haven't we seen Rupp center Langs and Friesen yet? Start setting defensive pairing. Enough of using Hale and Martin in NJ, they should be in Albany GET THEM THERE! Keep Stevens with Rafalski, Nieds with White, and Albelin with Brown. That game was as close to an early season must win as there is. Now in 5 games we have one win. If we were the Ranger$ I would be happy but this is simply unacceptable.

Unthinkable
10-22-2003, 05:17 PM
... and just like that Joe Nieuwendyk scores for the Leafs. :rolleyes:

Vanya
10-22-2003, 05:21 PM
... and just like that Joe Nieuwendyk scores for the Leafs. :rolleyes:

Ouch!

ttnorm
10-22-2003, 05:27 PM
Relax guys, no one likes to lose. But we are only 6 points out of 1st (Boston) and perhaps more importantly only 3 points behind Ottawa. You know what, if we play like this for another 15 games and play like the Devils for the last 62 we'll be a 1 or 2 seed again and we'll be fine.

Burns and Lou are investing this part of the season in working a lot of new guys in. Give them a chance to get more guys going forward. I would guess that until Ottawa gets 10 points ahead (which probably will not happen), that Lou will stay on this course.

Vanya
10-22-2003, 05:33 PM
Relax guys, no one likes to lose. But we are only 6 points out of 1st (Boston) and perhaps more importantly only 3 points behind Ottawa. You know what, if we play like this for another 15 games and play like the Devils for the last 62 we'll be a 1 or 2 seed again and we'll be fine.

Burns and Lou are investing this part of the season in working a lot of new guys in. Give them a chance to get more guys going forward. I would guess that until Ottawa gets 10 points ahead (which probably will not happen), that Lou will stay on this course.

Do not take our away rightful position of claiming the sky is falling after a string of bad games!!! It's what we do best!!! We are Devils fans, we expect the worst at all possible times!!! The panic button must be pushed immediately!!! Start up those Satan-to-New Jersey rumors!!!

:p

Seriously, it's just frustrating. You want to see the defending champs be able to put away Florida after leading after 55 minutes at home. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Vanya
10-22-2003, 05:35 PM
Now that I'm really aggravated, reports say it's suppose to start snowing in the Boston area any second now. ARGH!!! :madfire: .

ZadorovNJD*
10-22-2003, 05:50 PM
1 win in 5 games. 10 goal for. Only win was against arguably the worst team. It's early but we can't just shrug this off as a stanley cup "hangover"

Unthinkable
10-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Anyone think Rod Brind 'Amour and Jeff O'Neill could be had? I know O'Neill had his issues at the tail end of last season with Paul Maurice, but its probably all water under the bridge now. Don't see the Canes dealing away Ron Francis. Ditto with the Wings moving Whitney.

Niedermayer21
10-22-2003, 05:57 PM
Yuck!!!

Too early to call up Suglobov, Jason. But I will suggest a lineup for our next game, if only to shake things up a bit.

Elias--Larionov--Berglund/Brylin
Friesen--Madden--Langenbrunner
Pandolfo/Rupp--Gomez--Gionta/Rupp
Brylin/Berglund--Rasmussen--Marshall

Rafalski--Stevens
Niedermayer--White
Martin--Albelin

Schwabby

NJDevils#4
10-22-2003, 06:03 PM
1 win in 5 games. 10 goal for. Only win was against arguably the worst team. It's early but we can't just shrug this off as a stanley cup "hangover"

Seriously. Hard to believe this is essentially the same lineup that won us the Stanley Cup.

Unthinkable
10-22-2003, 06:05 PM
Why is Berglund sitting, anyway it seems like our offense is worse then last year with the loss of Nieuwendyk. I say we call Suglobov up and try him on the 1st line. If not him then Berglund.

His play has kind of tapered off a good bit in the last few games imo. Rasmussen was outhustling him shift after shift.

ZadorovNJD*
10-22-2003, 06:06 PM
Doesn't Berglund have a sore knee or something? I don't think he would be much assistance anyways.

MattNJD
10-22-2003, 06:12 PM
Doesn't Berglund have a sore knee or something? I don't think he would be much assistance anyways.

No sore knee, Berglund is 100% healthy. I happen to agree that he should be in the lineup. Get him on a line with Gomez, and drop Elias to a line with Larionov.... Its not like we would score LESS goals by trying it.

ctynan44
10-22-2003, 06:37 PM
I gotta agree with everyone. Send Martin and Hale down to Albany and use Albelin and Brown as 3rd pairing. Something has to happen to spark this team. It might take a trade or it might be as simple as sending a couple guys down and letting a couple others play.

I would love to see this line up next game just to see what happens:

Elias-Rupp-Berglund
Freisen-Larionov-Langs
Pando-Madden-Gionta
Brylin-Gomez-Marshall

Stevens-Rafalski
White-Neids
Brown-Albelin/Giroux

I can wish, but I know that Rupp won't be in the line up and I know that Martin and Hale WILL BE in the line up....ugh.

Unthinkable
10-22-2003, 06:53 PM
Check the EJ Hradek ESPN article that MV and myself posted earlier. Lou doesn't feel Martin and Hale stand to gain anything from playing in Albany right now. In all fairness, our lack of offense has been a much more alarming issue then the play of Hale and Martin has been. I think the shakeup would be much better focused on our foward lines. Last season we had timely goals coming from all four lines along with our D most every single game. It is time for Scott Stevens to call a team meeting to address these defensive lapses late in games though. Tampa Bay is beating us at our own game badly.

Check this article out:
http://www.canada.com/sports/hockey/story.html?id=97AFD6AF-2255-4896-8E5A-66EB98026351

"We want to show we weren't just a one-hit wonder."

The Lightning were coming off a 3-2 win over the Atlanta Thrashers on defenceman Pavel Kubina's short-handed overtime goal on Tuesday night. The Bolts play in Columbus on Thursday night.

"What's interesting about the four wins is they came from different facets of the team," said Feaster. "Certainly the goaltending from (Nikolai) Khabibulin has been outstanding, but in our first two games, we scored five goals.

"And our scoring has been diversified. We have 16 players with at least one point."
St. Louis, the five-foot-nine winger who had 33 goals last season, leads the Lightning with seven points.

"He has the heart of a lion," Feaster said of St. Louis, 28. "And one thing I like is that he plays as if every day is the day he'll get tapped on the shoulder and told he's been sent down.

"He still plays with that in mind."
"I like to think we're in the top 15 or 16 in the NHL," he said. "But the only way we'll stay at that level is to keep working hard.

"We're not the most talented team, but we have 23 guys who have bought into the team concept put in by (head coach) John Tortorella. We're not good enough to venture away from the system. We can't be cowboys and freelancers."

To move forward, Feaster's wish list, like that of many teams, would include an experienced, physical defenceman and some scoring depth up front.

This was the Devils team just a few short months ago.

NJDevs430
10-22-2003, 07:48 PM
This game sucked.
}:-(>
Dan-O come back!
(Just venting)

jacksheit
10-23-2003, 01:32 AM
hey obviously I'm glad u guys lost
but i agree, u do need a winger. I just never saw offencive skill from the devils tonight. they havent been scoring much lately
but think, they go to the playoffs, kill themselves, n then have a short offseason to get in better shape? these guys gotta b dead tired inside
they've all done ALOT of work. they know how to play, they just need sum recharge time
n the panthers played hard for once, they deserved this one :bow:

Tao Jones
10-23-2003, 02:21 AM
No sore knee, Berglund is 100% healthy. I happen to agree that he should be in the lineup. Get him on a line with Gomez, and drop Elias to a line with Larionov.... Its not like we would score LESS goals by trying it.

Berglund was listed as a "healthy" scratch last night, but Hennessey(sp) and Velischek(sp) mentioned he was "out with a sore knee" against TB.

Tao Jones
10-23-2003, 02:48 AM
I gotta agree with everyone. Send Martin and Hale down to Albany and use Albelin and Brown as 3rd pairing. Something has to happen to spark this team. It might take a trade or it might be as simple as sending a couple guys down and letting a couple others play.

I would love to see this line up next game just to see what happens:

Elias-Rupp-Berglund
Freisen-Larionov-Langs
Pando-Madden-Gionta
Brylin-Gomez-Marshall

Stevens-Rafalski
White-Neids
Brown-Albelin/Giroux

I can wish, but I know that Rupp won't be in the line up and I know that Martin and Hale WILL BE in the line up....ugh.
Well, according to Hradek's Article, Lou and Pat seem committed to keeping up Hale and Martin as long as possible, mentioning the addition of Lapperriere as specifically being brought in for them. While the play of Hale and Martin may not be the reason for the Devil's slow start, a lot of the focus of the staff's energies are going towards them. If Pat and Lou feel the rookies have nothing to gain by playing in Albany, maybe they should consider sending Lapperriere down there with them. I know that will never happen with his previous connections to Burns, but I don't see Lapperriere helping Stevens and the rest of the vet D corps, become markedly improved players with his presence. This season's theme seems to be more about rebuilding rather than about repeating. It will be interesting to see how Hale and Martin perform in the post-season.

BTW, I agree with your 5,6,7 on D.

MattNJD
10-23-2003, 06:36 AM
Berglund was listed as a "healthy" scratch last night, but Hennessey(sp) and Velischek(sp) mentioned he was "out with a sore knee" against TB.

Oh... hmmm, well thats good to know. There was no mention of it by Doc or Chico and espn.com listed him as a healthy scratch. But it makes more sense that he would not be in the lineup because of an injury.

Unthinkable
10-23-2003, 08:04 AM
"You can't play in 82 one-goal games," Madden said. "That's what we're doing now."