Wow a win

justapantherfan
10-22-2003, 06:09 PM
Has anybody noticed but when we play top notch teams we seem to play a lot better...

Any way for most of the game it was the same stuff. Dump and chase and then chase the puck down to our zone.

Well anyway it was a nice bounce for ollie :handclap: and the guys to win one against the Devils. :yo:

MoeHowardDavid
10-22-2003, 09:00 PM
Has anybody noticed but when we play top notch teams we seem to play a lot better...

Any way for most of the game it was the same stuff. Dump and chase and then chase the puck down to our zone.

Well anyway it was a nice bounce for ollie :handclap: and the guys to win one against the Devils. :yo:

There was a hockey game last night? :dunno:

One word, Gonzalez. :yo:

Pantherfemme
10-23-2003, 05:44 AM
I dont think NJ is so top notch this season. They have not impressed me in the least. I was surprised it took us so long to score on them last night.... All in all it was a pretty boring game But *I* got lucky and scored some tix to Fridays game against the Wild by winning a puck stacking contest (25 and that is the tour record so far) so it was a good night indeed....Oh yeah, and the Marlins won too hahahahaha :handclap:

Heimy
10-23-2003, 08:05 AM
This was an outstanding game! Both clubs played well and it was much more up-tempo than I was expecting given the Devil's propensity to trap. A few things I noticed that deserve mentioning...

I only recall seeing the Panthers whistled for one 2 line pass the entire game. Remarkable!

I only recall seeing the Panthers whistled for one offsides call. Again, remarkable!!

Panthers SOG and scoring chances were limited for good reason. Burns had his defensive pairings playing waaaay back, sometimes as deep as center ice when their forwards were in our zone for almost the entire game. That took away any odd man breaks much less clean breakaways. Their D only entered our zone on PPs or pinched in aggressively when they fell behind in the last 4-5 minutes.

We gambled more defensively but our forwards were VERY responsible and perfectly positioned in supporting our defense.

The Panthers defensemen played as strong a game as I can remember in this club's history. Trnka, Mezei, Van Ryn, Silent j, Lilja and Odelein all deserve mention because every one of them was key to this win. Same goes for at least 10 of our 12 forwards. I saw great puck pursuit and constant pressure on the forecheck. We clogged their passing lanes and made them work for every pass.

Games like this give me great hope because in addition to great goaltending I saw the kind of chemistry and balance last night that I've been looking for since, well since the war of 1812.

Congratulations to the Florida Panthers and their entire coaching staff. :rolly:

Captain8
10-23-2003, 08:23 AM
This was an outstanding game! Both clubs played well and it was much more up-tempo than I was expecting given the Devil's propensity to trap. A few things I noticed that deserve mentioning...

I only recall seeing the Panthers whistled for one 2 line pass the entire game. Remarkable!

I only recall seeing the Panthers whistled for one offsides call. Again, remarkable!!

Panthers SOG and scoring chances were limited for good reason. Burns had his defensive pairings playing waaaay back, sometimes as deep as center ice when their forwards were in our zone for almost the entire game. That took away any odd man breaks much less clean breakaways. Their D only entered our zone on PPs or pinched in aggressively when they fell behind in the last 4-5 minutes.

We gambled more defensively but our forwards were VERY responsible and perfectly positioned in supporting our defense.

The Panthers defensemen played as strong a game as I can remember in this club's history. Trnka, Mezei, Van Ryn, Silent j, Lilja and Odelein all deserve mention because every one of them was key to this win. Same goes for at least 10 of our 12 forwards. I saw great puck pursuit and constant pressure on the forecheck. We clogged their passing lanes and made them work for every pass.

Games like this give me great hope because in addition to great goaltending I saw the kind of chemistry and balance last night that I've been looking for since, well since the war of 1812.

Congratulations to the Florida Panthers and their entire coaching staff. :rolly:

A win at the Swamp is so rare that it's almost a crime to find fault with it.

Still, I would like to see more puck possession in the opponent's zone. In the papers, Keenan was being given a a pair of third assists for moving up Hordichuk and Messier, but their presence on the top two lines was mere coincidence in the outcome of events. By and large, this is still a puck chasing team, although a more balanced one when Kozlov and Jokinen are separated.

I agree with your take on the play of the dmen. But when Mezei let Langenbrunner go right by him, I was livid, thinking that it would be the decisive goal. (Glad I was wrong.)

BTW, I expect more form Mezei offensively than he has provided thus far. Right now there is a big drop-off in offensive play after Van Ryn and Bouwmeester.

Heimy
10-23-2003, 08:42 AM
A win at the Swamp is so rare that it's almost a crime to find fault with it.

Still, I would like to see more puck possession in the opponent's zone. In the papers, Keenan was being given a a pair of third assists for moving up Hordichuk and Messier, but their presence on the top two lines was mere coincidence in the outcome of events. By and large, this is still a puck chasing team, although a more balanced one when Kozlov and Jokinen are separated.

I agree with your take on the play of the dmen. But when Mezei let Langenbrunner go right by him, I was livid, thinking that it would be the decisive goal. (Glad I was wrong.)

BTW, I expect more form Mezei offensively than he has provided thus far. Right now there is a big drop-off in offensive play after Van Ryn and Bouwmeester.

In defense of Mezei, that was a 3 on 2 and he had 2 forwards coming hard. He had to take the inside man since he was closest to the puck. The pass was threaded perfectly and just an inch beyond his reach.

On offense I did see Mezei pinch in early in the 1st period and was denied, but I'd agree he (and we) would benefit by more aggressiveness. The flipside though is his staying back more allows for Van Ryn to fill that role.

I almost mentioned Trnka above all others in my 1st post but everyone played so well I decided not to. Still, he had another excellent, EXCELLENT game. :bow:

sting_fan
10-23-2003, 09:38 AM
I almost mentioned Trnka above all others in my 1st post but everyone played so well I decided not to. Still, he had another excellent, EXCELLENT game. :bow:

You should have. His last two performances have been supurb.

Another guy who has really stood out is Messier. I just love watching this guy work. Never gives on anything. The line of Hordichuk-McDonald-Messier has been a pleasant surprise; on some nights, our best, IMO.

Still would like to see the team take more shots on net. There were still three or four situations where they should have shot the puck, but opted to try and make the pass. Even my favourite Panther falls into that group on this night. Jezz Niklas. ;)

jacksheit
10-23-2003, 09:48 AM
Heimy HAHAHA Silent j IS bOUWMEESTER??? haha wierd, good call

With kozlov @ center i think we're gonna trade for a hard hitting right wing, like parrish! (ahh i hope hes a right wing, haha)
That way hordichuck or Messier wouldnt hafta b moved half way through the game.
we b weak on the right sides with no hitting or scoring

Captain8
10-23-2003, 09:53 AM
In defense of Mezei, that was a 3 on 2 and he had 2 forwards coming hard. He had to take the inside man since he was closest to the puck. The pass was threaded perfectly and just an inch beyond his reach.

On offense I did see Mezei pinch in early in the 1st period and was denied, but I'd agree he (and we) would benefit by more aggressiveness. The flipside though is his staying back more allows for Van Ryn to fill that role.

Actually, from my observation, Jokinen recovered rather well to take the high man, essentially making it a 3 on 3; as the play was developing, Langenbrunner was Mezei's assignment. Mezei was right on Langenbrunner and merely had to slide to the post. He hesitated, looked at the puck for a bit longer than he should have, and it was too late. No doubt, it was a bang-bang play, not an egregious error, but one that was magnified under the circumstances.

Trnka is a bit of an underdog and is playing better than I expected. Thus far, he has been unable to make it last for an extended period of time. Maybe he'll find some consistency...

Heimy
10-23-2003, 09:55 AM
You should have. His last two performances have been supurb.

Another guy who has really stood out is Messier. I just love watching this guy work. Never gives on anything. The line of Hordichuk-McDonald-Messier has been a pleasant surprise; on some nights, our best, IMO.

Still would like to see the team take more shots on net. There were still three or four situations where they should have shot the puck, but opted to try and make the pass. Even my favourite Panther falls into that group on this night. Jezz Niklas. ;)

Your favorite Panther was not included in the 10 of 12 forwards I acknowledged for that very reason. How could he pass up that shot? What was he thinking Stinger? :dunno: Honestly, I was surprised he was allowed back on the ice after that...I was sure he'd be benched.

And yes you're right, Messier has been terrific, especially on the PK.

sting_fan
10-23-2003, 10:42 AM
Your favorite Panther was not included in the 10 of 12 forwards I acknowledged for that very reason. How could he pass up that shot? What was he thinking Stinger? :dunno: Honestly, I was surprised he was allowed back on the ice after that...I was sure he'd be benched.

I wish I knew. Wide-open lane to the net and he opted to make a pass to Jokinen. I know he was on his off-wing, and Jokinen was on his forehand side, but man-o-man. Frustrating. Again, relatively strong game defensively, but not much of a threat on this night at the other end. Strong forechecking, that's about it.

Out of curiousity, who was the "other" player to not make the grade last night?

Heimy
10-23-2003, 10:53 AM
I wish I knew. Wide-open lane to the net and he opted to make a pass to Jokinen. I know he was on his off-wing, and Jokinen was on his forehand side, but man-o-man. Frustrating. Again, relatively strong game defensively, but not much of a threat on this night at the other end. Strong forechecking, that's about it.

Out of curiousity, who was the "other" player to not make the grade last night?

There really wasn't an "other." I just didn't want to single out your boy and get you ticked off...again. :p

Bednar did have one defensive lapse but he earned instant forgivness with that no-look pass to Samuelsson from behind Brodeur's net. Beauty eh? :rolly:

sting_fan
10-23-2003, 11:31 AM
There really wasn't an "other." I just didn't want to single out your boy and get you ticked off...again. :p

Bednar did have one defensive lapse but he earned instant forgivness with that no-look pass to Samuelsson from behind Brodeur's net. Beauty eh? :rolly:

You must be mistaking me with someone else again. I don't get ticked off. :p

Bednar's no-look pass sure was a beauty. Too bad Samuelsson couldn't finish. We'll have to see what Keenan does with him tomorrow night, but I would like to see him lineup alongside Huselius again. I have always thought their styles of play complimented each others.