butchers_dog
10-22-2003, 06:55 PM
29 MINUTES for Lemieux tonight. Straka played 27

I know we had 7 power plays but this could be bad long term.

I haven't had many issues with Edzo yet but this is crazy.

Maybe thats why our guys are standing around the last minute of the power play, they are tired. We need to settle on a second group and actually use them.

Ok I'm done complaining!

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-22-2003, 08:32 PM
Overtime had a bit to do with it. I'm not worried at all about either of them getting those kind of minutes when it is a close low-scoring game. It just shows Olcyzk wants to win.

Jacob
10-22-2003, 08:40 PM
Good points, Edzo needs to establish a strong 2nd powerplay unit.
We don't have one. Period. This team barely has a capable #1 powerplay unit.

The Tang
10-22-2003, 09:06 PM
We don't have one. Period. This team barely has a capable #1 powerplay unit.
and the way it is performing is pretty disconcerting.

Jacob
10-22-2003, 09:09 PM
:dunno:

Jacob
10-22-2003, 11:59 PM
I thought you were talking about splitting up our top powerplay unit guys into two groups.

I don't think major lineup changes need to be made to help our powerplay. I mean, come on, we've got the best powerplay quarterback in the league on our team. We just need everyone running on all cylinders. Some guys are zigging when the guy with the puck expects them to zag. I don't get why Morozov is in the slot when he just passes it off anyway. We park guys in front of the net, but a guy like Morozov or Koltsov will NOT provide the same presence that someone like Abid will.

When we scored tonight, we had the right idea. Get the puck back to the point and crash the net. It isn't always the best play, but it's never a bad one.

Our passes coming into the neutral zone are too deliberate. Our guys basically turn their whole body and look at the target they're passing to about 5 seconds before they make the pass. And we wonder why passes are cut off and guys are covered.

Der Schweinehund
10-23-2003, 04:48 AM
I don't get why Morozov is in the slot when he just passes it off anyway. We park guys in front of the net, but a guy like Morozov or Koltsov will NOT provide the same presence that someone like Abid will.

Thank you!! :handclap:

Fact is, Morozov is a perimeter player. Abid is our garbage goal guy and needs to be down low.

The important thing too is we need to have that player with the low, hard shot from the point for a disturber in front of the net to work. This is where Lupaschuk needs to come up. Berehowsky has that shot too, but really should not be on the 1st PP unit right now. And the forward on the point during the PP - buh-bye. End that experiment.

If I had my druthers, my 1st PP unit would be Lemieux setting up on the left side, Tarnstrom at LD, Lupaschuk on the RD. Straka is in the right faceoff circle - cycling to provide options for Lemieux. Abid lives and dies at the top of the crease - looking for rebounds or tips. Straka also collapses to the net if there is a shot from the point.

2nd PP unit has Koltsov on the LEFT (*******) side, Morozov in the right slot, and Fata cycling the play in and out in the high slot. Berehowsky and Orpik play the points. This doesn't have the overload as much as the first option, but relies more on skating and crossing over and really trying to mess up man-coverage PK units. This one looks for the pass and goal on the first shot w/o rebound or tip.

I also would be more than willing to entertain the idea of throwing in Webb on the PP, if the PP is not clicking (like later in the game last night) to play down low and really cause a ruckus.