2001-2002 part deux?

Blackjack
10-22-2003, 07:07 PM
It took the 2002-2003 Devils 6 months to lose consecutive games in regulation.

It took the 2003-2004 Devils 5 games to lose consecutive games in regulation.

I'm sorry, but this season has 2001-2002 written all over it. I'm no fairweather fan, so I'm not going anywhere, but at the same time I see no point in going ballistic every time the team loses. I think I'm just going to have to get used to it.

As for why this is happening, I can only offer a theory. Last year I was proud of the team because they succeeded despite an obvious lack of talent. I loved how they used leadership and hardwork to overcome the disparity and relyed on each other. But this year the jig is up. Everybody is gunning for The Devils because they are the defending champs, and the talent level is just too low to withstand it. I think the exact same thing is happening to Anaheim.

I don't even know if we're going to make the playoffs this year, in 2001-2002 we had a lot more talent: Sykora, Holik, and Arnott. If we do make the playoffs, I suspect clawing into the 5th or 6th seed and a 1st or 2nd round exit. A lot of things can happen between now and the playoffs to change that, but barring a major turnaround, that's just what it looks like to me. These are not your typical defending Stanley Cup Champs.

ZadorovNJD*
10-22-2003, 07:19 PM
So when does Burns get fired, and who replaces him?

Niedermayer21
10-22-2003, 07:30 PM
Blackjack, this is deja vu all over again. Think 1996, too. Hey, we won the Cup last year. I just want to make the playoffs and see some of the kids, like Berglund and Suglobov play. I'll give Gionta this season to show what he has. If he doesn't produce, I may want to see him gone by the trade deadline or after the season. I know he can score short-handed. Why doesn't Burns play him on the second PK unit?

Some things I just don't get. :dunno:

Blackjack
10-22-2003, 08:51 PM
So when does Burns get fired, and who replaces him?

Eh, I don't think it's Burns, though he may take the fall. Burns is the king of making crappy teams win. If he can't make them win, Bowmann himself couldn't make them win.

Tbg1515
10-22-2003, 08:54 PM
Oh please its only 5 games give me a break this team has some new faces that they have to get used to, they will be fine and battling Philly for the top spot in the east, evryone is overeacting over 5 games, we will be fine..................I mean we just won the cup so everyone is gunning for us we just need to be smart.......

GentlemanOfLeisure
10-24-2003, 05:57 AM
better hope this isnt 1995-1996 part deux

Brodeur
10-24-2003, 09:37 AM
I think our 'slump' is a natural byproduct of the amount of roster turnover we've had.

If we're still having the same problems after 15 games, Lou'll do something. I remember last year after an early season loss to Carolina, many of us (including me) were ready to blow this team up and trade Friesen for a quick fix.