Slegr or Allen

nuksforlife
10-23-2003, 06:23 AM
Who has played better to this point in the year?

jeffbrown
10-23-2003, 07:37 AM
I think Slegr has played better, but he is a veteran. I think both have been pretty equal defensively, but Slegr has been able to chip in offensively.

In the interests of the team, though, Allen needs to play.

kmad
10-23-2003, 09:46 AM
both in different scenarios. This is like comparing Ohlund and jovanovski.

canucksfan
10-23-2003, 09:50 AM
Allen has played very well except for the first game.

Larionov Fan
10-23-2003, 10:56 AM
Allen has played very well except for the first game.

I really don't know how anyone could say that. Not even considering Slegr's great two-way play so far, Allen has been terrible. Last night for example... he looked confused at times, especially when he took the penalty in front of the net, he seemed to lose it. He was caught trying to play the man a couple times when it would've been much easier to take the puck on those occations. He also missed the man a few times, which resulted in a few odd man rushes. I've seen him caught out of position many times, and he's unarguably the worst d man we've had so far this season.

That being said, i'm not giving up on him. He still looks very promising, but might need to sit a bit and practice harder before he becomes a regular. I'm very happy with what Jiri has done, and he should be playing right now.

Impossibles
10-23-2003, 11:09 AM
I really don't know how anyone could say that. Not even considering Slegr's great two-way play so far, Allen has been terrible. Last night for example... he looked confused at times, especially when he took the penalty in front of the net, he seemed to lose it. He was caught trying to play the man a couple times when it would've been much easier to take the puck on those occations. He also missed the man a few times, which resulted in a few odd man rushes. I've seen him caught out of position many times, and he's unarguably the worst d man we've had so far this season.

That being said, i'm not giving up on him. He still looks very promising, but might need to sit a bit and practice harder before he becomes a regular. I'm very happy with what Jiri has done, and he should be playing right now.

I don't think Allen becomes a better player without playing. Practice and the AHL will only get you so far. Ice time is what he needs to get more comfortable.

Look at Jovo. Last season was his first NHL "+" season. We can't expect him to immediately be a stud defenseman. You have to take the lumps to help him live up to his draft pick.

Larionov Fan
10-23-2003, 11:14 AM
I don't think Allen becomes a better player without playing. Practice and the AHL will only get you so far. Ice time is what he needs to get more comfortable.

Look at Jovo. Last season was his first NHL "+" season. We can't expect him to immediately be a stud defenseman. You have to take the lumps to help him live up to his draft pick.

Yah, your argument does make sense, but this isn't a 19 year old kid anymore, and this team can't afford to be cost games by his terrible play. I think you play him a little less often, and if he plays well then give him the edge. He has to prove it though.

canucksfan
10-23-2003, 12:12 PM

I didn't listen to last nights game or watch it so I cant say how he played but he has played well except for the first game.

He adds more of a physical presence on the blue line than Slegr does.

SedinFan*
10-23-2003, 12:44 PM
I didn't listen to last nights game or watch it so I cant say how he played but he has played well except for the first game.

He adds more of a physical presence on the blue line than Slegr does.

Except Allen consitantly runs himself out of position trying to make a big hit.

Hobo
10-23-2003, 12:54 PM
Slegr can make an outlet pass Baron could never make. Great signing. Allen has been a slow bloomer - still lots of upside.

canucksfan
10-23-2003, 06:42 PM
Except Allen consitantly runs himself out of position trying to make a big hit.
If it is done at the right time it can be a momentum booster. I got no problem with Allen going out of position to make a good hard check when the time is right.

SopelFan*
10-23-2003, 07:15 PM
Switching in and out is fine with me. Both have good games and off games.

PecaFan
10-24-2003, 01:39 AM
Yah, your argument does make sense, but this isn't a 19 year old kid anymore, and this team can't afford to be cost games by his terrible play. I think you play him a little less often, and if he plays well then give him the edge. He has to prove it though.

And Slegr doesn't make mistakes? We've already seen how he allowed Nash to get position in front of the net, and score the winning goal.

So, given a choice between two guys who make the odd mistake, give me the young, developing, needs the ice time guy every time.