Canucks still are a one line team.

Peter
10-23-2003, 08:05 AM
I say this partly in jest but layered in a bit of truth: the Canucks are still a one line team. Only the line now is Sedin-Sedin-King.

I am not about to panick though. The outing against a very, very poor Buffalo did show that all our guys are capable but when they come up agaist a team like St. Louis or Detroit or the Avs we have to have our checking lines be our checking lines. And leaves the Sedin line and the Morrison line to carry the offense. Which, on any normal day, would be an awesome spot to be in except that right now the Morrison line ain't really doing a whole lot on a consistant basis.

I have no doubt that once Bertuzzi signs his new contract things will change a bit but in the back of my mind I have nagging worries about Morrison. He seems out of sorts and out of sinch. He doesn't look like the Morrison from the past two seasons...more like the guy NJ traded away.

What are your thoughts?

Rageinthecage
10-23-2003, 08:37 AM
I say this partly in jest but layered in a bit of truth: the Canucks are still a one line team. Only the line now is Sedin-Sedin-King.

I am not about to panick though. The outing against a very, very poor Buffalo did show that all our guys are capable but when they come up agaist a team like St. Louis or Detroit or the Avs we have to have our checking lines be our checking lines. And leaves the Sedin line and the Morrison line to carry the offense. Which, on any normal day, would be an awesome spot to be in except that right now the Morrison line ain't really doing a whole lot on a consistant basis.

I have no doubt that once Bertuzzi signs his new contract things will change a bit but in the back of my mind I have nagging worries about Morrison. He seems out of sorts and out of sinch. He doesn't look like the Morrison from the past two seasons...more like the guy NJ traded away.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that Morrison seems out of sync because neither Naslund nor Bertuzzi will pass the puck to anyone but each other. Of the three, I'd say Morrison is playing the best thus far, if only because of his good defensive play. It's Naslund's ill-timed, blind drop passes that result in odd man rushes the other way. It's Bertuzzi that's had the vast majority of his passes uncharacteristically intercepted by the opposition, not to mention he doesn't win a lot of battles for the puck these days either.

Morrison isn't playing well either, but I'll bet if the coach put him on a line with Cooke and Linden (or Arvedson) he'd be flying. In fact, I have no idea why Crawford hasn't spent more time line juggling this season, as each team the Canucks have played has effectively shutdown the top line. Split them up until they individually get on track. Enough of this selfish, fancy play.

I'm not going to panic either. The Canucks are leading the league with 22 goals in 7 games. Only three have come from the top line. Can you imagine what will happen when that trio returns to form (and trust me they will).

The Sedins and King are dangerous each and every shift they've played so far. They'll have their slumps like any other line, but this looks to be the year the Sedins definitely begin to fulfill their potential. Skeptics will counter that it's early, but the twins look far too poised and comfortable on the ice this season to regress too much. Confidence is the biggest enemy of any young player, but Sedins finally have some. King is still a raw rookie, so the jury is out. But he sure looks good right now.

incawg
10-23-2003, 08:44 AM
Although I agree with your sentiments that the triplets are our best line, we are not a one-line team.

These are the goal breakdowns:

1st line: 5 goals (23%)
2nd line: 5 goals (23%)
3rd line: 3 goal (14%)
4th line: 2 goals (9%)
Defense: 7 goals (32%)

That's a pretty balanced scoring attack. If we can get that sort of production on a consistent basis from our bottom three lines we'll be in good shape for the playoffs. Even when our top line "hasn't showed up" they've still managed almost a quarter of our goals. T

Mizral
10-23-2003, 09:03 AM
I think Morrison has played (I've seen 5 of the 7 games) quite well, actually.

2 goals, 3 assists, and a +6 isn't he?

Good stats, plus he's actually played very well defensivly. In fact, I remember two key plays he made, one in the home opener against Calgary, and one in Minnesota, in which he made such good defensive plays, it may have saved the team from possibly losing those games (The calgary play was when the game was still 0 - 0.).

Pangolin
10-23-2003, 09:13 AM
As bad as Naslund was last night, he didn't get so bad at the start of the game...He started giving away the puck and basically just losing it the 2nd 1/2 of the game...after about 4 shots that completely missed the net where they would have been easy goals for him usually...

Frustration sets in and he started doubting himself and lost his confidence for th day. And when he lost his confidence, he didn't want to be carrying the puck...By the 2nd 1/2, he was just trying to give it to somebody else going up ice except everyone on his line expect him to be the puck carrier and didn't cover him for his neutral zone drop passes...

He just needs to go into practice with a bucket or two full of pucks and get his shot back...when he does, his giveaway will be gone and we'll see the Naslund of old..

PhillyNucksFan
10-23-2003, 11:06 AM
At the current pace, I would say Canucks has the deepest team in NHL, with highest scoring/game so far, and top line only scored 5 goals..

BUT, I agree with the comment that, Nassy/Bert seems to only pass to each other and always look for one another.. and one comment about the first line... is it their defensive liability or what?? when they're on the ice, they often spend the time on their end, and when they get to the other end, its often after the linden line who got puck in deep.. and somehow.. they just dont carry the puck over as good as last year?? and Bertuzzi.. man, he did have tons of chances in front of the net.. and there are a couple would have been " sure goals" last year. and he MISSED THE NET!!!!!..

anyway.. I'm not worried, canucks go!! :handclap: