Time: 7:38 PM

Team Records:

New Jersey: 1-2-2-0
Goals For: 10 ; Goals Against: 11

Pittsburgh: 1-2-2-0
Goals For: 9 ; Goals Against: 14

Team Leaders:

New Jersey:
Goals: Scott Niedermayer, Jamie Langenbrunner, Sergei Brylin (2)
Assists: Brian Rafalski (6)
Plus/Minus: Erik Rasmussen, Jamie Langenbrunner (+1)
Penalty Minutes: David Hale (9)
Shots on goal: Jamie Langenbrunner (19)
Wins: Martin Brodeur (1)
Save Percentage: Martin Brodeur (91.0%)
Goals Against Average: Martin Brodeur (2.15)

Pittsburgh:
Goals: Rico Fata, Martin Straka, Aleksey Morozov (2)
Assists: Mario Lemieux (4)
Plus/Minus: Konstantin Koltsov (+1)
Penalty Minutes: Brooks Orpik (32)
Shots on goal: Konstantin Koltsov (13)
Wins: Marc-Andre Fleury (1)
Save Percentage: Marc-Andre Fleury (94.9%)
Goals Against Average: Marc-Andre Fleury (1.95)

------------------------------------------------------------

Two words: Aleksey Morozov :D

The Tang
10-23-2003, 02:58 PM
god i love that black jersey.

anyways... i really hope they play well. to win one game of the series would be good imo, and i really think they can do it. lets hope Morozov can still make Bodeur his b*#%$ like normal.

Koltsov71
10-23-2003, 03:03 PM
Should Fleury get the start again at home? And then Caron on the road against the Islanders. Or vice-versa?

If the starter for tomorrow has already been announced, I am unaware.

Jacob
10-23-2003, 03:11 PM
I don't think it's been announced, but I like the way you put it.

Koltsov71
10-23-2003, 03:24 PM
Fleury starting seems to be the most likely scenario.

But Caron will have to start at home eventually.

Wingboy2999
10-23-2003, 06:29 PM
Fleury starting seems to be the most likely scenario.

But Caron will have to start at home eventually.

I could have sworn someone on here said that Fleury is starting.

I am going with 2-1 Devils on this game.

So what is the deal with Morozov? Don't know what yo guys are talking about.

Robert Paulson*
10-23-2003, 06:44 PM
I could have sworn someone on here said that Fleury is starting.

I am going with 2-1 Devils on this game.

So what is the deal with Morozov? Don't know what yo guys are talking about.

Morozov is known in the 'Burgh as the "Devil Killer" :D He ALWAYS finds a way to humiliate Brodeur :p

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-23-2003, 06:48 PM
Yeah, it would be REALLY nice to see Morozov with a 4 point game. The pens need to win. They are second last in the East, ahead of the caps.

Koltsov71
10-23-2003, 06:54 PM
the caps.

Speaking of which, I'm loving the downfall of the $parc. Another five goals allowed tonight. 25 goals allowed in 7 games.

Robert Paulson*
10-23-2003, 06:56 PM
Yeah, it would be REALLY nice to see Morozov with a 4 point game. The pens need to win. They are second last in the East, ahead of the caps.

It really doesn't mean anything yet this early in the season. We haven't done bad enough to consider ourselves truly 2nd last in the East. Hold tight for a few more games :)

Robert Paulson*
10-23-2003, 06:57 PM
Speaking of which, I'm loving the downfall of the $parc. Another five goals allowed tonight. 25 goals allowed in 7 games.

Heh heh. Now THAT'S baaaad :yo:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-23-2003, 07:45 PM
I think the pens will lose 4-1.

Wingboy2999
10-23-2003, 08:53 PM
I hope Lemieux gets shut out in this game pointswise, then gets 2 points in the away game against NYI. I sooooo want to see him hit 1700.

Wingboy2999
10-23-2003, 08:58 PM
I want it to be against the Islanders because I can go to that game. I can go down there with my student rush tickets (hopefully). I'd get there EARLY.

Koltsov71
10-24-2003, 04:54 AM
I'm predicting a 2-2 tie.

kutdacheez
10-24-2003, 06:38 AM
The moment you forecast anything you know you are going to be wrong, you just don't know in what direction. This is especially true of hockey scores. With that in mind, I am predicting the score to be 8 - 0 the Penguins . . . and if I am right, I will never let anyone forget it. :D

Wingboy2999
10-24-2003, 06:48 AM
Oh ok, makes sense on your part. But for the fans part, no, i hope he hits 1700 in pittsburgh, so the fans come to see it and the game sells out, cuz sell outs mean more money to the pens, more money to the pens means we have more money.

This team needs more money dammit! I hope it sells out...

Ok i sound desparate for the game to sell out, i should go take a nap now.

No no no. I mean the HOME game against NYI. That is what I have been saying all along. I live in Pittsburgh so I want to see it. And, like I said, I am gonna get there early for my student rush tickets so I could get in.

Wingboy2999
10-24-2003, 06:51 AM
And yes. I hope it sells out.....after I get in.

Ticallion961
10-24-2003, 07:01 AM
3-1 devils

Koltsov finally gets one

Koltsov71
10-24-2003, 12:53 PM
The Trib this morning said no Webb tonight, but he could possibly play tomorrow.

Koltsov71
10-24-2003, 03:54 PM
Two terrible plays by Berehowsky already, and we aren't even halfway through the third period.

john g
10-24-2003, 04:00 PM
Good, but very lucky not to get penalty, play by The Drake on the Shorthand to save a goal

Koltsov71
10-24-2003, 04:05 PM
Devils up 1-0.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Does anyone know who won the Rupp-Focht fight?

Koltsov71
10-24-2003, 04:48 PM
Does anyone know who won the Rupp-Focht fight?

Wasn't much of a fight. Few, if any, punches actually did any damage. I'd say Rupp had the upper hand in the bout.

Koltsov71
10-24-2003, 04:49 PM
PK unit just killed another penalty. This much is good.

AEKaki
10-24-2003, 04:57 PM
My receiver burned down, so I can't watch the game.
It sounds like the refs are giving them PPs and we're getting tripped and hooked and held but no calls...

john g
10-24-2003, 05:04 PM
Straka from Eastwood

1-1 with 6.5 seconds left in the second

Koltsov71
10-24-2003, 05:04 PM
Straka (Eastwood, Lemieux)

Beautiful play. Great way to end the second period.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
10-24-2003, 06:50 PM
If the powerplay can get going and Fleury continues his play, watch out.

Wingboy2999
10-24-2003, 06:52 PM
2-1 final. How was the game overall? Didn't get to watch it. Lemieux is 2 points away.....

Rowsdower
10-24-2003, 07:22 PM
Argh....a 2-1 defeat...I thought the team played fairly well.....that play by Mario was amazing and Fleury continues to play exceptional (he made a believer out of one of my Devils fan buddies tonight)...I also thought Straka had a good game....on the negative side, IMO Holzinger was awful, Morozov was a bit lacking at times, and I didn't notice Abid once in the whole game.....

edit: and where was Orpik on that second goal.....

kutdacheez
10-25-2003, 03:53 AM
Argh....a 2-1 defeat...I thought the team played fairly well.....that play by Mario was amazing and Fleury continues to play exceptional (he made a believer out of one of my Devils fan buddies tonight)...I also thought Straka had a good game....on the negative side, IMO Holzinger was awful, Morozov was a bit lacking at times, and I didn't notice Abid once in the whole game.....

edit: and where was Orpik on that second goal.....

Eastwood let Gionta go at the blueline and Gionta puts the second goal of the night for him off the blade (of his skate) . . . Orpik (I don't think can be blamed that much) . . . certainly not any of the young kids as any more than of mentors . . . Gomez did go by Bergevin like he was a pylon. Sometimes the other team makes a good play . . . just like Eastwood's feed to Straka.

If the Penguins countinue to improve, little by little, as they have IMHO that's more than most of us expected. The biggest faults I saw last night was the (1) not putting the puck on net enough (passing up shots), and (2) the very inconsistent play of Dan Focht.

One last note . . . anyone who has had a chance to see MAF play and doesn't . . . shame on you for a lifetime. IMHO, when the sleeping Stiller fans find out how good this kid really is the attendance will boost up. Just like "it took a while" after Mario signed.

Koltsov71
10-25-2003, 06:29 AM
(2) the very inconsistent play of Dan Focht.

From what I saw, Bergevin and Berehowsky looked much worse.

Koltsov71
10-25-2003, 07:45 AM
Whoops.. I'll have today's game thread posted soon. Completely slipped my mind.

GoPenguins
10-25-2003, 07:55 AM
I watched the game last night on Center Ice, and actually had a choice of commentaries, as the Devils feed was being shown locally. The Devils commentators, when I occasionally switched to them, were being very complimentary towards Fleury and was also talking about Mario a fair bit too.

From watching the game, I haveto agree that Bergevin and Berehowsky made more mistakes than Focht. Focht, to me, had one of his better showings, and whilst that isnt to say we can start comparing him to Lidstrom, at least to me he seems to show signs of improving his game. His fight was rather tame, but at least he had a go. Berehowsky caught the puck twice last game, which drew one penalty. Adding to his sometime errant passes, one of which set Madden I think on a clean breakaway, I'd say his game was as bad as Bergevin's.

Orpik, Tarnstrom and Melichar look to be our top 3. When Roszival returns, we might actually be able to field 2 pairs of halfway decent defensemen. If we called up Lupaschuk and demoted Baumgartner, we might get a key piece to the puzzle that is our powerplay.

A 2-1 defeat to NJ probably looks respectable. However, I am hoping for more games where we look like we are capable of scoring more than 1 goal in a game. These past two games we havent generated much offense.

What does everyone think of the ice time given to players? Whilst Mario and Tarnstrom are leading the way with 25 mins plus, our forwards seem to be logging between 10-15 mins each. Edzo is certainly using the majority of his bench. I must admit I wasnt expecting Buchberger to log that many minutes. He seemed to be on the ice a lot in the 3rd period.

Here's hoping we can find a spark tonight against the Isles. Perhaps the powerplay can get going. I am hoping we can score more goals this game. If not, Edzo might be tempted to shuffle the pack and bring up perhaps Surovy or Lefebvre or Beech. Lets Go Pens !