The Jackman hit...

Thalia
10-23-2003, 01:55 PM
is the talk of the town today.

Apparently Jackman is in the hospital with a separated shoulder. Everything indicates that although the hit was punishing, it was also clean. Jackman made a rookie mistake and had his head down and Todd took advantage of the opportunity.

So, what do you think will happen in the future: will Jackman be looking for retribution or has he learned that he's no match for Big Bert and will finally stop slashing the freight-train-Todd's ankles? :p

Impossibles
10-23-2003, 02:00 PM
Nothing will change.

Injuries are part of the game, and Jackman knows he shouldn't have been looking at his feet skating behind the net like that. Barret would have laid out the same hit if the positions were reversed.

Thalia
10-23-2003, 02:43 PM
Picked up this comment from another board:

I had some friends selling 50/50 tickets last night at the game, and they saw Jackman, and no joke this kid I know yelled "Bertuzzi is going to nail you!" and Jackman just laughed at him.. He should mail him and say "I told you so!"

Avery4Byng*
10-23-2003, 03:29 PM
Couldnt hav happened to a better person.

Edler Statesman*
10-23-2003, 03:33 PM
Couldnt hav happened to a better person.

Bryan Marchment?

johnson
10-23-2003, 05:09 PM
Bryan Marchment?

Amen.

canucksfan
10-23-2003, 06:40 PM
That was a clean hit. If Jackman wants to fight Bertuzzi then Bertuzzi has to drop the gloves.

Tom.H
10-23-2003, 11:50 PM
That was a clean hit. If Jackman wants to fight Bertuzzi then Bertuzzi has to drop the gloves.

Oh boy that would be something.

To tell you the truth, other than the time Bertuzzi got his 10 game suspention (and that wasn't really a fight), I have never seem Bertuzzi fight.
Anyone have any examples about any fights Bertuzzi has had?
Not that I want him to fight.

Ironchef Chris Wok*
10-24-2003, 06:20 AM

I am all for a Jackman-Bertuzzi fight. As long as nobody gets an instigator, it's fine w/ me. It's a good "trade-off" for both teams, as Jackman is their 2nd best d-man w/ MacInnis out, while Bert is our second best forward.

It would just be an old-time old-school hockey brawl. And fans would LOVE IT.

Yammer
10-24-2003, 06:54 AM
Bertuzzi has a substantial size and reach advantage in a fight.

I don't think that it will come to that, necessarily.

Jackman is a throwback, old-time, hardrock hockey player. He will chalk this up to experience. Perhaps he will skate with exaggerated elbow motion (a la Gordie Howe) when seeing 44 next time.

Impossibles
10-24-2003, 07:48 AM
Anyone have any examples about any fights Bertuzzi has had?
Not that I want him to fight.

I know he had a fight with a dallas player in a game I went to last year...I think it might have been guerin or Boucher.

IceMelter
10-24-2003, 08:00 AM
I remember he grabbed a Nashville player, punched him in the head and the guy went boom, and then Barry Trotz went ape like, and then Burke said my money is on Crawford if they we're to get in a fight.

Well more drawed out then that but i'm sure you guys will remember that, was actually quite a few entertaining day and days following up to it.

Avery4Byng*
10-24-2003, 11:58 AM
If it were Bert with his head down and Jackan going for the hit he would have done the same thing. Thats what Don Taylor said. and its true. Just a mistkae by jackman thats all.

Mole ii
10-24-2003, 12:25 PM
I know he had a fight with a dallas player in a game I went to last year...I think it might have been guerin or Boucher.

Yeah Bertuzzi one-punched Boucher. KO. Game. Set. Match.

Fedz
10-24-2003, 12:49 PM
http://www.brisket.ca/bert_hit.gif

WinstonSmith
10-24-2003, 02:31 PM
http://www.brisket.ca/bert_hit.gif

It's a good thing Morrison saw him at the last moment or there would have been a Jackman sandwich, or Bert taking out both of them...

:rolly:

incawg
10-24-2003, 02:41 PM
He's out 2-4 weeks:
http://nhl.com/onthefly/news/2003/10/162054.html

colonel_korn
10-24-2003, 02:42 PM
I remember he grabbed a Nashville player, punched him in the head and the guy went boom, and then Barry Trotz went ape like, and then Burke said my money is on Crawford if they we're to get in a fight.

Well more drawed out then that but i'm sure you guys will remember that, was actually quite a few entertaining day and days following up to it.

Yeah, that was the game where Nashville was up 3-0 going into the third. Bertuzzi then scored two goals in the third to make it close, despite getting constantly high-sticked and hooked by guys like Bill Houlder on D...which went largely unnoticed by the refs. Bertuzzi was getting really pissed off and hammered some guy in the corner late in the game, at which point Karlis Skrastins came in with his stick up to hit him. Anyways Bertuzzi just dropped his gloves and punched Skrastins in the face, I think he broke his nose.

Aside from that and the fight with Boucher last season (another one-punch affair), Bertuzzi had just one other fight last year, a pretty lame little wrestling match with Steve Staios.

Hobo
10-24-2003, 02:51 PM
Check out how Morrison bails - he must skate in constant fear of colliding with Bertuzzi by accident.

quat
10-24-2003, 05:38 PM
That just looks .... shocking. It neve happens if Jackman has his head up, and Burtuzzi really just plants himself in front. Not so much like a Stevens hit, where he really lowers the shoulder and SEEMS to be trying to take out a players head. Watching that hit over and over again like that kind of makes you queezy... and it's amazing that Morrison has the where withall to look up when he does, other wise he would be in for almost as rough a ride as Barett.

ehc73
10-24-2003, 09:16 PM
According to Global News, Jackman admitted that him getting injured was his fault because he wasn't looking up and that the hit was clean. Bad news for St. Louis though. Last year goalies, this year d-men. They trying to imitate the Kings?

JRH
10-25-2003, 04:11 AM
What did you thinK about the quotes from Quenneville and Pronger?

Quenneville said (paraphrase) that Bertuzzi is always looking to hit guys but you will never see him go into a corner to get a puck because he knows he'll get run.

Pronger said that when he skated over to Bert and put a hand up that "he flopped to the ice like a guy who weighs 120lbs" and he "acted like an ice dancer".

Sounds like fighting words to me...

The Pucks
10-25-2003, 05:11 AM

Quenneville said (paraphrase) that Bertuzzi is always looking to hit guys but you will never see him go into a corner to get a puck because he knows he'll get run.

Pronger said that when he skated over to Bert and put a hand up that "he flopped to the ice like a guy who weighs 120lbs" and he "acted like an ice dancer".

Sounds like 2 frustrated little boys who just lost a game because their captain lost his composure.

triggrman
10-25-2003, 05:21 AM
Yeah, that was the game where Nashville was up 3-0 going into the third. Bertuzzi then scored two goals in the third to make it close, despite getting constantly high-sticked and hooked by guys like Bill Houlder on D...which went largely unnoticed by the refs. Bertuzzi was getting really pissed off and hammered some guy in the corner late in the game, at which point Karlis Skrastins came in with his stick up to hit him. Anyways Bertuzzi just dropped his gloves and punched Skrastins in the face, I think he broke his nose.

Aside from that and the fight with Boucher last season (another one-punch affair), Bertuzzi had just one other fight last year, a pretty lame little wrestling match with Steve Staios.
He never dropped his gloves and he caught Skrastins from the side. It's not like the squared off. I hope he tries that against Nashville's team this year.....

Reign Nateo
10-25-2003, 06:38 AM
Sounds like 2 frustrated little boys who just lost a game because their captain lost his composure.

Exactly, Pronger isn't who I would want leading my team if he can't acceept that he cost his team the game. Zero composure shown on his and Quinvilles part.

incawg
10-25-2003, 07:01 AM

The quenneville quote was just silly. The guy is clearly bitter that Bertuzzi has taken out two of his defenseman with clean hits.

Pronger's quote was pretty predictable. What is he supposed to say? "Yeh, I'm a moron and my lack of discipline cost us two points." :dunno: It's understandable...pronger was upset and looking for an excuse. Now I'm not saying that definitively Bertuzzi did not dive; I really don't know. My point is that it's going to take a lot more than a soundbyte from a heavily-biased pronger to convince me.

Peter Griffin
10-25-2003, 08:43 AM
He never dropped his gloves and he caught Skrastins from the side. It's not like the squared off. I hope he tries that against Nashville's team this year.....

No offense, but who's going to stick up to him this year? Jordin Tootoo? Marek Zidlicky?

colonel_korn
10-25-2003, 09:30 AM
No offense, but who's going to stick up to him this year? Jordin Tootoo? Marek Zidlicky?

Obviously you weren't following the results of the TEAM TOUGHNESS TOUGH TEAM TOURNAMENT!!1! (http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=17197) :joker:

Anyways I wasn't really looking to start that whole Nashville pissing contest again, even though I had a feeling I would when I posted that. Sure Bertuzzi punched Skrastins when he wasn't expecting it, but Skrastins was the one who initially came in trying to start something late in the game. He was probably just expecting to start a little scrum or something...well guess what, when Bertuzzi's been hooked and high-sticked all night by scrubs like Bill Houlder and Cale Hulse, he's probably not going to be in a charitable mood.

tantalum
10-25-2003, 09:57 AM

I quickly went through the last three seasons and found 5 fighting majors for Bertuzii. Boucher, Fischer (??!!), Hnidy, S. Smith, and J. Smith. The fact is since he has arrived he doesn't need to really fight anymore. He isn't a particularily cheap player just a strong one that finishes his hits and does some face washing so people dropping their gloves to get at him typically doesn't happen. If they do he will drop them. I'd much rather have him with the gloves on then running around every 10 games like Guerin looking for a fight. Ask Iginla how smart it was to get into a fight last year.

Canucks-R-best
10-25-2003, 07:36 PM
Too bad it doesn't show the rest of the clip when Pronger taps Bertuzzi and he drops like a school girl . :p

ya and by doing that Bert wins us the game. To bad it didnt show that

Connecticut
10-25-2003, 08:08 PM
Bertuzzi won you guys the game ? A lot of fans thought the refs won the game for the Canucks again . ;)

A lot of people think you're an idiot... tell you what... if I concede that the refs won the game for the Canucks...

monster_bertuzzi
10-25-2003, 09:08 PM
A lot of people think I'm an idiot huh ? :handclap:

Hell, you're almost as bad as Modano=God.

ehc73
10-25-2003, 09:12 PM
Hell, you're almost as bad as Modano=God.

Actually, I have yet to see a good hockey post from Super_Joe. For all of Modano=God's homerish antics, he at least comes off intelligent when talking about hockey instead of consistently trolling to crap on another team's player.

Yammer
10-25-2003, 09:32 PM
Super_Joe,

Don't you realize that there is this thing called the "search" button? If pressed, it reveals the posters' most recent comments.

I have done this with you.

Let me give you some advice. You don't want to be drawing attention to yourself.

Because you are, if not an idiot, a person of clearly limited expressive ability.

I don't say you ARE an idiot -- it is possible that you have intelligence in the normal range, but merely have an inability to articulate interesting, novel, or insightful comments in this medium.

The point is, it doesn't feel good to laugh at another person, and it must surely not feel good to be laughed at. Please don't invite this behavior.

quat
10-25-2003, 11:30 PM
I still get chuckles . :D

No, that's the thing... it doesn't to anyone but yourself. Your comments aren't insightful or thoughtful, they are usually a line or two at most, and are meant to draw attention to yourself and to make other people unconfortable. I don't recall you adding anything but inflamitory statements to any discussion other than the Avs. Thinking you have little to add to a discussion has very little to do with how Burtuzzi plays hockey. The fact that you think your are being funny and present your comments as light hearted, makes me think you are trying to find a way around getting banned while still being a troll.

Obviously Burtuzzi's game is up for criticism, but you've yet to post anything that shows you actually know a thing about him.

incawg
10-26-2003, 01:27 AM
I am going to go ahead and disagree. M=G is nothing more than a two bit troll.

M=G may be a homer who is quick to throw insults, but at least he backs up his arguments with hockey knowledge. This "Super_Joe" guy has never demonstrated one iota of hockey knowledge. It's a shame that fans like him feed the perception that avs fans in general are ignorant about the sport.

HFNHL PIT GM
10-26-2003, 05:28 AM
Bert is our second best forward.

Bert is easily our best forward. When was the last time Naslund changed the flow of the game.

The reason Bert is so good, is he doesnt even have to get on the score sheet to be a big influence in the game. Screening goalies, big hits, taking the abuse in front of the net. Sorry, Naslund is soo one dimensional.

DR

Thalia
10-26-2003, 06:40 AM
I am going to go ahead and disagree. M=G is nothing more than a two bit troll.I wouldn't say that he's a troll b/c he doesn't make comments just to piss people off, but I would say that I've never ever come across a person with so much hatred for another's team and their fans.

I'm pretty sure he's taken at least five years off of his life b/c of all his stressing as well as the hatred and anger he posesses against 'Nucks and their fans. Kind of silly really considering it's just a sport. :dunno:

incawg
10-27-2003, 06:26 AM
Just like Jovo did when Linden got hit by the penalty box earlier in the season. I can't remember who they were playing now, but I remember Linden getting hit as he got up off his knees and Jovo went after the guy. The same thing as Pronger did.

Jovo kicked the snot out of isbister after a dirty hit on Linden. The canucks killed the penalty and won the game.

Reign Nateo
10-27-2003, 06:58 AM
Just like Jovo did when Linden got hit by the penalty box earlier in the season. I can't remember who they were playing now, but I remember Linden getting hit as he got up off his knees and Jovo went after the guy. The same thing as Pronger did.

I'm not talking about the play, I'm talking about the cowardly way he tried to talk Bertuzzi down after the game and downplay his own screw up. The hit on Linden was dirty, the hit on Jackman was clean.