buds and yotes

ulf
10-23-2003, 05:18 PM
the leafs lead the league with the lowest shots allowed against at 19.8.

the hated leafs fall 4-2 allowing the yotes 26 shots :handclap:

10-23-2003, 06:49 PM
the leafs lead the league with the lowest shots allowed against at 19.8.

the hated leafs fall 4-2 allowing the yotes 26 shots :handclap:
Mush :lol:

PhoPhan
10-23-2003, 06:57 PM
I just heard someone was waived, and sent down.
Also, Savage is hurt :o

Kimahri
10-23-2003, 07:27 PM
Cleary was waived and sent down. This has been an entertaining game, aside from the first period which was slow and slopy. Doan has really impressed me from the start. And it looks like BF has benched Kolanos in the third.

vsmith
10-23-2003, 08:24 PM
could someone who watched the game tell me what was the reason for Gratton, Wilson and Nagy take penalties when we were 4:5 with something like 10 minutes to play? too eager to score?

Hordichuk_24
10-23-2003, 08:32 PM
could someone who watched the game tell me what was the reason for Gratton, Wilson and Nagy take penalties when we were 4:5 with something like 10 minutes to play? too eager to score?

Horrible officiating. But then again, what else is new??? :rant:

vsmith
10-23-2003, 08:36 PM
Horrible officiating. But then again, what else is new??? :rant:

nothing I suppose :(
how did Ference fare against Jackman?

Hordichuk_24
10-23-2003, 09:47 PM
nothing I suppose :(
how did Ference fare against Jackman?

Not too bad. Jackman isn't really known for his fighting. Ference threw about 6-7 lefts which landed to the side or back of Jackman's head. He got the easy Win.

Epoch
10-24-2003, 02:47 AM
Not too bad. Jackman isn't really known for his fighting. Ference threw about 6-7 lefts which landed to the side or back of Jackman's head. He got the easy Win.

It was obvious Jackman was trying to protect his still sore mouth (got a few teeth knocked out previously). But still,win Ference.

hbk
10-24-2003, 05:15 AM
was certainly an entertaining game. I think we can all agree about that.

refereeing is refereeing. some calls are justified, some baffle you, and some you wonder how they missed it. it usually goes both ways and last night was really no exception. It's certainly not the reason we lost but that was the goaltender interference on Burke on the first Toronto goal. If I was Burke I would have gone ballistic. To not call that and then proceed to call everything throughout the game (both ways - I don't want to sound like I blame the officials for the loss) destroys the credibility of the officials and the NHL.

Turning point for me was when Antropov roofed that second goal. It was a great play but a key indicator that Burke was not going to be a difference maker for both teams and play really opened up.

Stupid plays hurt us and we took half a period to get into the game.

I was happy to see Kolanos rot on the pine. He should be one of our best players there is no reason why he shouldn't be pressuring Daymond Langkow as our number one center.

Nagy has great skill. I hate when he starts diving though. That bothers me.

Love Tanabe's speed but Mara is really developing nicely. We handle the puck like a hot potato at times in our own zone but I like this group.

Very impressed with the character play of Shane Doan last night.

I was going to write something negative about Hrdina being invisible and then he scored. Somebody kick Gratton in the ass and let him know that the season has started. He doesn't need to score 30 goals but I'd like to see him provide some sort of offensive threat.

Can anyone tell me how and why Brian Savage is not a factor in a game where we have ten power play chances.

Speaking of the PP. Why do we work down low when the other team has dropped down in the umbrella. Shouldn't you work a play that has a better chance of success. Hard to work a cross ice pass when you have to thread the puck through 3 sets of opposition legs. Spread out the box and then try that play. If that doesn't work you go to the points and you send the forwards in to jam away at rebounds. You don't need to be Paul Coffey to figure this stuff out but you do need to think on the ice. That is the single issue that really bothered me about this game.

Volcanologist
10-24-2003, 05:16 AM
Punching him in the back of the head means he won?

ok.

CoyoteBaloney
10-24-2003, 07:11 AM
I am very disappointed with the Coyotes game last night. They were playing a team starting their inexperienced rookie back-up and should have peppered him with SoGs while crashing the net from the get go, but they didnt. They were playing a team who was tired from playing in dallas the previous night and great Coyotes game plan (from the players, not the coach) was to "just get the puck out of our zone -- doesn't matter if we manitain possession". The Coyotes have all this speed that they should have used to wear down a tired Maple Leafs team last night and they decided to loaf around in the first period and not get going until the final 5 minutes of the opening period. LACK OF FREAKIN EFFORT AND SIMPLY APATHY!!!

10-24-2003, 07:25 AM
Yeah, I'm really not that happy with the start to this season for the Yotes. We had a nice 3 game winning streak, but didn't score more than 2 goals a game. Now we've had a 3 game slide, we're scoring twice what we were, but allowing 3 times what we were. To be honest, I'm not sure if I wouldn't mind seeing more of the scoring and leaving our goalies out to dry and let us see the wheels on the team and let the kids score some goals and get some confidence. But we've been wildly un-disciplined, taking bad penalties, and our PK is worse that our PP. Is Conacher responsibly for our special teams, or is it Francis? I know that Bowness works the defensemen.

I've got to tell you though that Tanabe is becoming a favorite of mine every single game I see him carry the puck. It reminds me of Tverdovsky when he was here, the only difference was that Tverdovsky would try to move like that and cough up the puck even more often. There were a few breathtaking moments last night when you would just see Tanabe take a few strides and he went end to end.

I don't mind playing a rough physical style, but we can not take so many penalties. If we could improve our special teams I think we might be able to win some of these games.

We've given up 6 PPG in the past 3 games. If we would have cut that in half alone, we probably would have won against Philly & Toronto.

Gratton was a monster in the dotted circle last night winning 13/17, Sillinger did well coming back winning 9/19. Langkow still is hovering around the lower 40% winning of faceoffs. I find it interesting considering that our faceoffs should have been better this year, and they probably are.

hbk
10-24-2003, 07:55 AM
Yeah, I'm really not that happy with the start to this season for the Yotes. We had a nice 3 game winning streak, but didn't score more than 2 goals a game. Now we've had a 3 game slide, we're scoring twice what we were, but allowing 3 times what we were. To be honest, I'm not sure if I wouldn't mind seeing more of the scoring and leaving our goalies out to dry and let us see the wheels on the team and let the kids score some goals and get some confidence. But we've been wildly un-disciplined, taking bad penalties, and our PK is worse that our PP. Is Conacher responsibly for our special teams, or is it Francis? I know that Bowness works the defensemen.

I've got to tell you though that Tanabe is becoming a favorite of mine every single game I see him carry the puck. It reminds me of Tverdovsky when he was here, the only difference was that Tverdovsky would try to move like that and cough up the puck even more often. There were a few breathtaking moments last night when you would just see Tanabe take a few strides and he went end to end.

I don't mind playing a rough physical style, but we can not take so many penalties. If we could improve our special teams I think we might be able to win some of these games.

We've given up 6 PPG in the past 3 games. If we would have cut that in half alone, we probably would have won against Philly & Toronto.

Gratton was a monster in the dotted circle last night winning 13/17, Sillinger did well coming back winning 9/19. Langkow still is hovering around the lower 40% winning of faceoffs. I find it interesting considering that our faceoffs should have been better this year, and they probably are.

Francis is trying to keep his job and realistically the only chance we have to put up points (wins and ties) is to keep it a tight checking close scoring game. We shouldn't look towards run and gun as a sustainable solution. Run and gun does not win in this league over the long run. It doesn't. Who's won the cups and how did they win it? With the exception of Colorado I would argue that it was defensive clubs with timely offense that got the job done. That type of disciplined play does not occur overnight. It's through years of disciplined play where players learn their roles. We haven't learned our roles yet. Our forwards are fairly good but our defense is incapable of carrying the puck out of the zone. Teams know we are inexperienced on our d so they pressure our guys because they cough up the puck. It's not rocket science. We all knew that was going to happen.

Statistically I don't know if we've improved at all in face off wins. However, this may be selective memory but we seem to be winning the key offensive and defensive draws more often.

Devils Advocate
10-24-2003, 09:20 AM

Gratton's was stupid, in an effort to get the puck he slashed with his stick. Stupid Lazy penalty.

Didn't see Wilson's, but he had been frustrated because of being interfered with & the refs not making the call earlier. Nevertheless, if the penalty was out of frustration at that time of the game, is was extremely stupid. He took the same kind of penalty against the Flyers at the end of the 3rd period.

Nagy's was totally bogus & was only due to his reputation with the refs around the league. He actually initiated the action, the leafs players retaliated (right in front of the ref), & then Nagy retaliated with an extremely light cross-check which the ref was just waiting to call.

It's obvious Nagy has a 'boy who cried wolf' reputation with the refs in the league & will only get calls about 50% of the time & the refs will call penalties against him every opportunity they get. Extremely frustrating.

syc
10-24-2003, 09:54 AM
Punching him in the back of the head means he won?

ok.

In the back of the head with no momentum even.

10-24-2003, 09:58 AM
I'm not really talking about winning though. I guess I am just venting over frustration. I'd love to see us play run and gun and develop offensively. Then when we care about making a run for the Cup, we can instill some defense. I can dream can't I! :lol:

hbk
10-24-2003, 11:50 AM
I'm not really talking about winning though. I guess I am just venting over frustration. I'd love to see us play run and gun and develop offensively. Then when we care about making a run for the Cup, we can instill some defense. I can dream can't I! :lol:

Leafs are one of the few teams willing and able to go run and gun. Actually, I like our defense better than I like the Leafs but that's for a different thread. Most teams wouldn't allow Phoenix to stay in the game and would trap after they had the lead. Toronto allowed us to dictate the pace. I'm sure their coaching staff were very frustrated by that.