Abramovich? Good or Bad?

Reign Nateo
10-24-2003, 10:00 AM
Well we all know that it is just an unsubstantiated rumor at this point. But if Abramovich and his money did buy the team, how would you feel about it? Good or bad thing?

Thoughts?

(Don't waste your time posting "it's way too early" "it's just a rumor" etc. We all know this, try to discuss the possibility)

Canadian Chris
10-24-2003, 10:16 AM
I'm undecided.

I mean, I'm pretty sure we all thought that Glen Sather was a fiscally responsible GM right....and Bobby Holik at 9mil isn't really fiscally responsible.

However, I think Brian Burke is of a different model. I personally believe that Burke would do what he had to do to improve the specific areas of the team he had to.

I don't really know. As long as the owner doesn't try to run the team on the ice and make decisions regarding players, and stays out of it....similar to McCaw, then I'd be ok I think.

IceMelter
10-24-2003, 10:31 AM
I'm also undecided, the cash and the Owner wanting to win is a plus.

But the negative would be if he decided he wanted to get into the action and didn't leave it up to Burke, He would be willing to spend and we could get some players to fill some holes without having to worry about financial reasons but I definately don't want an all Russian Team or to be the New York Rangers who have absolutely no chemistry and not the right mix of players.

If he was to spend like Dallas, Detroit and Colorado do then I think it would be great.

SedinFan*
10-24-2003, 10:32 AM
I have 18.2 Billion reasons why I'd like Roman Abramovich to become the owner of the Canucks.

Burke's Evil Spirit
10-24-2003, 11:17 AM
Assuming that the rumour he wants to build a Stanley Cup champion with only Russian players is true, then NO.

I certainly don't want the Canucks franchise to be used as a tool for fueling Russian national pride.

If he honestly wants to be an Ilitch/Kroenke type owner, that's a different story.

Peter Griffin
10-24-2003, 11:21 AM
If a salary cap is brought in, then Abramovich and his money isn't needed. The Canucks can survive relatively competitvely under the current salary model, I'm sure they'll do even better under an improved model.

MVP
10-24-2003, 11:35 AM
Anybody except McCaw is fine with me.

Hobo
10-24-2003, 11:41 AM
Nyet to a Russian circus in Vancouver. :rant:

Bure and Mogilny still leave a bad feeling. Canadian personality seems to warm up to the Swedes better. So many Russians are so glum. If Vancouver became a "Russian" team I might have to look elsewhere, like, God forgive for this, Edmonton.:mad:

MVP
10-24-2003, 11:51 AM
i am kinda worry about the racism tone within this thread, i mean a lot of people are worrying about Abramovich just because he is a russian and the fact he might want to add more russians if he acquires the team. My question is why, i mean there does not seem to be a problem when you had Vancouver Grizzlies with 90% African American. i don't think it will be possible Abramovich to get 90% Russian on a hockey teams, but let assume he did, i really don't care as long as the players show up for practices, try hard and win game. That is what hockey as a sport is all about.

Yammer
10-24-2003, 11:57 AM
I want Roman Abramovitch because of the drama and lunacy that is sure to follow. I don't tie my gonads to the fortunes of any corporate entity.

TheCustodian
10-24-2003, 11:58 AM
i am kinda worry about the racism tone within this thread, i mean a lot of people are worrying about Abramovich just because he is a russian and the fact he might want to add more russians if he acquires the team. My question is why, i mean there does not seem to be a problem when you had Vancouver Grizzlies with 90% African American. i don't think it will be possible Abramovich to get 90% Russian on a hockey teams, but let assume he did, i really don't care as long as the players show up for practices, try hard and win game. That is what hockey as a sport is all about.

Whoa, racist tone? There is room for concern (outside racial) for an owner acquiring the Canucks whose main goal is to spread Russian pride and create a predominently Russian team. That seems more racist then what anyone in these forums is saying --- a process like that (acquiring all Russian players) would most definitely hurt the team by limiting player options that severly.

I for one would not want an owner who's main perogative is getting as pure a 'Russian' team as possible. I could not see that being a healthy mind set for an owner as it leaves far too much room for his interference...if the rumours are true I wouldn't be surprised to see Brian Burke tossed for a Russian GM more in tone with the overall team strategy (of making 'Team Russia' in the NHL).

I'm undecided, but if the rumor is true I'm definitely against it...and not for racial reasons...I think the entire concept is detrimental to a hockey team due to the limitations and difficulties.

MVP
10-24-2003, 12:13 PM
Show me a team in the NBA that isn't primarily Black, the NBA is dominated by African American players, just like football is for receivers and line backers. In hockey it was primarily white, u can call the NHL racist until Willie O came into play.

If i was an Owner of a hockey team yeah i'd have Manny Malhotra on the canucks cuz he is east indian but if he sucked and had a bad attitude no i wouldn't, i can understand why Roman wants a team full of Russians, because he has pride for his people, thats expected.

But the fans won't like it and they won't root for the team, unless the russian players go into the community like Trevor does, then there is no problem.

i am not talking about racism in term of access to the sport of hockey, that was clearly beside my point. i am talking about the fact that people are so concern about the possibility of adding a RUSSIAN owner. There won't be the same worry if it is an American likes its currently is.

As far as your last points goes, i completely agree, as long as the players work hard, play well and win game as a bonus contribute back to the community likes Linden than even better. However, no one is complaining when Bertuzzi is giving back nothing to the community.

Riddarn
10-24-2003, 12:21 PM
A person with that amount of cash (look how he's spending on that brittish soccer team) has to be evil. EVIL! Think Mr. Burns, but with a russian accent.. ;)

orcatown
10-24-2003, 12:24 PM
Call me obessive but wouldn't care if the whole team was from Outer Mongolia if they could win the Cup.

Good caution by MVP although it is more of ethnic slur than it is a racial one.

In the end much of this will come down to the resolution of the Bertuzzi situation. If McCaw balks then I want him out of here yesterday. In that case bring on the Russian money bags.

Hobo
10-24-2003, 01:07 PM
Its not that Abramovich is a Russian, I could care less, its the plan to pander to a different market. Same reason I don't like Bettman and the whole "Disneyfication" of the league, huge salaries, loss of the kind of league where you didn't need a second mortgage to take kids to see the game. Gee. Maybe I should be protesting at those world trade meetings too.

One explanation for the trip to New York is to clear the Bert signing with a new owner while a deal is before the other owners for approval .... with Bettman vetting the signing as not queering the team sale.

Burke's Evil Spirit
10-24-2003, 07:25 PM

It's been well-reported that Abramovich has come outright and said he wants to buy an NHL team, stock in with Russians, and "win a Cup for Russia" which is a pointless exercise in nationalism I don't want the team to be affiliated with. That's hardly racism.

SedinFan*
10-24-2003, 08:50 PM
Yes he does want to make a team full of russians and you guys can kiss guys like Naslund, Bertuzzi, Linden goodbye.

Then say hello to a team full of Russians.

FOR THE 300th god damn time.

FETISOV said that, not Abramovich. They have are in no way related in this matter.

MY GOOD GOD....

Burke's Evil Spirit
10-24-2003, 08:56 PM
Seriously? Good news if it's true.

Tom.H
10-24-2003, 09:11 PM
With all that money, I would be a little concerned that we could be just like NYR. It is nice to have money, but I like the idea of being able to keep the players we do have, not buying a team like the NYR have done.

That doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to be able to compete for UFAs, but I am not for pushing salaries into insanity.

All that said, I really don't have enough information on Abramovich to know for sure what kind of an owner he would be. So call me undecided.

Epsilon
10-24-2003, 09:33 PM
I'm not even sure why people are all that worried. There are basically two scenarios here:

1. The NHL system stays similar to what it is now under the new CBA, in terms of structure and team operation (i.e. even if salaries go lower, a similar free agency system, guaranteed contracts, etc.).

Under this system, assembling a team of all-Russian players would be very difficult, especially for Vancouver that doesn't have a great base to begin with. Once assembled it could be kept in place of course, for the right amount of money.

2. The NHL adopts an NFL-style system with mass free agency, lots of roster turnover, and a team salary cap that forces player cuts for financial rather than performance reasons.

Under such a system, an all-Russian team could be rapidly assembled in an off-season, and would be disassembled just as rapidly (i.e 1-2 years afterwards). So, it would be at most a 1 or 2 year experiment, and since the roster would be turning over every 4-5 years anyway under that system, trying this wouldn't be as big a deal and it would probably actually be interesting just to see if it could work.

So even if he wanted to put together an all-Russian team, it would either be nearly impossible to do quickly (current system) or would be done quickly but nearly impossible to maintain (NFL system).

Impossibles
10-24-2003, 09:36 PM
If the NHL does get some sort of salary cap, it wouldn't matter who owns the team, in fact it might be a bad thing to switch owners considering how well the canucks are run.

ping
10-25-2003, 01:00 PM
Oil Baron Arrested (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=3&u=/ap/20031025/ap_on_re_eu/russia_tycoon_arrest_3)

Not not Abramovich. The largest oil baron in Russia was "detained". No clue how this affects Abramovich but interesting nonetheless.

ping
10-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Abramovich is in Vancouver right now.

Vancouver Sun (http://www.canada.com/vancouver/sports/teams/canucks/story.html?id=E61C8649-E178-4457-8D74-3D3976EF1932)

Reign Nateo
10-25-2003, 02:13 PM
Interesting note from the articicle, Abramovich once bought a yacht off of McKaw. (damn rich people)

Now this may or may not go down, but I think anyone can admit that things are pretty fishy right now...

choppystride
10-25-2003, 10:56 PM
Wonder if this may deter Abram from buying the Nucks:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1071314,00.html