The Abramovich team

H-Bear
10-24-2003, 01:03 PM
Just for fun, I was thinking what kind of team Abramovich could put together. This fun assumes he buys the Canucks (a big if), and he actually puts an all Russian team on the ice (another if).

With "realistic" trades, what kind of team do you think he could piece together? For now I'm ignoring prospects (laziness is a killer).

Players already on the Canucks:
Chubarov, Fedorov, Koltzov

Golies:
Cloutier to TB for Khabibulin.
Hedberg to ANA for Bryzgalov

Defense:
Jovanoski to DAL for Zubov.
Ohlund to OTT for Volchenkov.
Sopel to TOR for Kondratiev.
Salo to CAR for D.Markov.
Malik to whomever for a mid-pick.
Allen to MTL for A.Markov.
Sign Yuskevich as UFA.

Forwards:
Morrison to TOR for Antropov.
Naslund to ANA for Fedorov.
Bertuzzi to ATL for Kovulchuck.
H.Sedin + pick to NYI for Yashin.
D.Sedin to NYI for Kvasha + pick.
King to PHO for Nazarov + pick.
Cooke to BUF for Afinoganov.
Linden + pick to NYR for Kovalev.
Ruttu to FLA for Novoseltsev.
Lindgren to NJ for Larionov.
May for Varlamov (Ukranian, I know)
Arvedson to ANA for Smirnov.
Keane to waivers.

Your new look Vancouver Red Army (Canucks didn't seem appropriate here):

LW-C-RW
Kovulchuck-S.Fedorov-Yashin
Afinoganov-Antropov-Kovalev
Novoseltsev/F.Fedorov-Larionov-Kvasha
Varlamov-Chubarov-Smirnov

LD-RD
A.Markov-Zubov
D.Markov-Yuskeivich
Volchenkov-Kondratiev

Starter-Backup
Khabibulin-Byzgalov

P.S. This was all for fun, so don't lose your cool.

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*
10-24-2003, 01:05 PM
"Linden + pick to NYR for Kovalev."

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Not another trade that exchanges one from the beloved '94 team to the ******* Rangers that beat us.

ping
10-24-2003, 01:07 PM
Swap Nabokov for the Bulin Wall as I believe Nabokov is from Kazhikstan.

H-Bear
10-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Swap Nabokov for the Bulin Wall as I believe Nabokov is from Kazhikstan.You are correct; done.

NFITO
10-24-2003, 01:21 PM
Slegr isn't Russian... he's Czech.

H-Bear
10-24-2003, 01:23 PM
Slegr isn't Russian... he's Czech.Sigh ... tiss the end of a long day; change made.

NFITO
10-24-2003, 01:29 PM
Sigh ... tiss the end of a long day; change made.

well if it's any consolation, Slegr apparently does speak fluent Russian...

but since you've added Fedorov to the mix, maybe should also add Koltsov, since he's a much higher prospect in our system. :rolly:

H-Bear
10-24-2003, 01:33 PM
well if it's any consolation, Slegr apparently does speak fluent Russian...

but since you've added Fedorov to the mix, maybe should also add Koltsov, since he's a much higher prospect in our system. :rolly:Also done.

Impossibles
10-24-2003, 01:39 PM
No Mogilny?

Peter Griffin
10-24-2003, 01:50 PM
Uggh, that would be a horrible playoff team methinks.

Connecticut
10-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Just for fun, I was thinking what kind of team Abramovich could put together. This fun assumes he buys the Canucks (a big if), and he actually puts an all Russian team on the ice (another if).

With "realistic" trades, what kind of team do you think he could piece together? For now I'm ignoring prospects (laziness is a killer).

Players already on the Canucks:
Chubarov, Fedorov, Koltzov

Golies:
Cloutier to TB for Khabibulin.
Hedberg to ANA for Bryzgalov

Defense:
Jovanoski to DAL for Zubov.
Ohlund to OTT for Volchenkov.
Sopel to TOR for Kondratiev.
Salo to CAR for D.Markov.
Malik to whomever for a mid-pick.
Allen to MTL for A.Markov.
Sign Yuskevich as UFA.

Forwards:
Morrison to TOR for Antropov.
Naslund to ANA for Fedorov.
Bertuzzi to ATL for Kovulchuck.
H.Sedin + pick to NYI for Yashin.
D.Sedin to NYI for Kvasha + pick.
King to PHO for Nazarov + pick.
Cooke to BUF for Afinoganov.
Linden + pick to NYR for Kovalev.
Ruttu to FLA for Novoseltsev.
Lindgren to NJ for Larionov.
May for Varlamov (Ukranian, I know)
Arvedson to ANA for Smirnov.
Keane to waivers.

LW-C-RW

LD-RD
A.Markov-Zubov
D.Markov-Yuskeivich
Volchenkov-Kondratiev

Starter-Backup
Khabibulin-Byzgalov

What seems cool about this is not that it would ever happen, but that the Canucks are deep enough now that it practically could. Not every one of those deals was totally fair, but they're not far off. Imagine if we tried to put together a team Sweden - the only difficulty would be getting Lidstrom and Forsberg over here, but by the time we had the rest of the team assembled they'd have no choice but to sign.

NFITO
10-24-2003, 02:48 PM

LW-C-RW

LD-RD
A.Markov-Zubov
D.Markov-Yuskeivich
Volchenkov-Kondratiev

Starter-Backup
Khabibulin-Byzgalov

If we're going with an all-Russian team, I'd have it more like:

Forwards:

Samsonov - Fedorov - Kovalev
Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Mogilny
Chistov - Antropov - Morozov
Arkhipov - Nikolishin - Frolov

extras: Nazarov (designated tough guy), Chubarov

Defense:

Zubov - Gonchar
A. Markov - Yuskhevich
Volcenkov - Semenov

extra: Kalinin (or Vishnevsky).

Goalies:

Khabibulin (although he's Ukarinian, but has played for the Russian team before)
Byzgalov

players I'd stay away from: Bure (both), Yashin, Zhamnov

coaches: Fetisov (head), Larionov (assistant), Tretiak (goaltending coach).

don't think it's a bad team... but might cost us close to $60-70 mill to put together! and if there are any assets left, add them all up together, throw in our entire draft for 2004 and see if we can get the #1 overall pick to get Ovechkin!

wonder if this team could win the Cup?? me thinks that their heart, grit, and determination will get questioned along the way :dunno:

Just for fun, the Russian Edition of the Manitoba Moose:

Kont. Koltsov - Svitov - Smirnov
Perezhogin - Mikhnov - Grigorenko
Polushin - Yakubov - Alexeev
F. Fedorov - Semin - Vorobiev

Grebeshkov - Kir. Koltsov
Tjutin - Safronov
Uchevatov - Knyazev

Medvedev - Konstantinov

Hobo
10-24-2003, 03:04 PM
If it happens, hope it happens while Grapes is still on - he'll go crazy. I'd like to see Phil Esposito as GM ...

NFITO
10-24-2003, 03:05 PM
If it happens, hope it happens while Grapes is still on - he'll go crazy. I'd like to see Phil Esposito as GM ...

you know if this happens that Mike Smith will be the GM of the team... he'll be lobbying hard himself to get the position.

Hobo
10-24-2003, 03:09 PM
you know if this happens that Mike Smith will be the GM of the team... he'll be lobbying hard himself to get the position.

Just trying to be ironic - I was thinking of the night in '72 when Phil was slagging the Vancouver fans for booing Team Canada when they lost to the USSR. What they should really do is import a real Russian coach - somebody who has to speak through an interpreter for the post-game interviews!

NFITO
10-24-2003, 03:15 PM
Just trying to be ironic - I was thinking of the night in '72 when Phil was slagging the Vancouver fans for booing Team Canada when they lost to the USSR. What they should really do is import a real Russian coach - somebody who has to speak through an interpreter for the post-game interviews!

forgot all about the Espo affair!

what they should *really* do is make sure that the "Canucks" don't become the "Russians"! (it's actually ironic that out of all the teams in the league, he'd pick a team that is named after a nationality (and there are only 2 I think, us and the Habs)!

it's all interesting what Abramovich is trying to do, but I sure hope it doesn't happen to the Canucks... the last thing I'd want is a team that is handcuffed by decisions because they *have* to have a roster filled by a specific nationality.

I Hate You All*
10-24-2003, 03:16 PM
What they should really do is import a real Russian coach - somebody who has to speak through an interpreter for the post-game interviews!

hahaha. Or bring in one of the boxing coaches/promoters from Rocky IV. That would be sweet too.

Hobo
10-24-2003, 03:30 PM
it's actually ironic that out of all the teams in the league, he'd pick a team that is named after a nationality
Very astute. Small quibble: :teach:The Habs like to think they are a nationality but in fact they fall a little short - they are only a distinct cultural group which aspires to be a nation.

Hmmmm - "Vancouver Cossacks" ...... "Vancouver Chetchin Slayers" ..... Our maybe something we can't figure out like "Vancouver Nardvickchetkyeski's" (translation: "Hockey People from Vancouvergrad Who Get Tanked on Vodka" (Our Goalie likes Stoly) ....

NFITO
10-24-2003, 03:33 PM
Very astute. Small quibble: :teach:The Habs like to think they are a nationality but in fact they fall a little short - they are only a distinct cultural group which aspires to be a nation.

well I was thinking more so of their team name - the Canadiens - kinda weird (just like it would be for the Canucks) to have a team called the Canadiens and be filled with Russian hockey players (and no Canadians).

PigPen
10-24-2003, 06:26 PM
Even worse...

Portland Americans

lkzsjdfasdjfljasf

Hobo
10-25-2003, 07:03 AM
Sigh ..... I guess you have to look on the bright side. It is definitely better than hearing a Singapore or Hong Kong billionaire is buying the team and hoping to stock it full of asian players. Steve Kariya might be happy, though.

Ironchef Chris Wok*
10-25-2003, 07:06 AM
Sigh ..... I guess you have to look on the bright side. It is definitely better than hearing a Singapore or Hong Kong billionaire is buying the team and hoping to stock it full of asian players. Steve Kariya might be happy, though.

That would be pretty funny... but the team would definitly have some size problems. :lol:

I'm Asian, I can say that.

Hobo
10-25-2003, 12:34 PM
That would be pretty funny... but the team would definitly have some size problems. :lol:

I'm Asian, I can say that.

forget size ..... can you put together one line?