What did you think?

CJHF13
10-24-2003, 05:24 PM
First off, I'm going to start by saying that New Jersey had an exceptional game tonight. The shot total isn't what I'm really talking about, being a Pens fan, I've already seen 2-1 shot totals at least 5 times this young season. I'm refering to just the plain out defence first concept your team has, It's really brilliant. Anyway, down to what I posted here for.

What did you think of our young goaltender, Marc Andre Fleury? No compairisons to Brodeur, just overall...Control? Reflexes? Positioning? Footwork? Do you think that he's NHL ready?

Thanks for everyones time to read this post. See you again in a few weeks. Until then, good luck.

Unthinkable
10-24-2003, 05:38 PM
What did you think of our young goaltender, Marc Andre Fleury? No compairisons to Brodeur, just overall...Control? Reflexes? Positioning? Footwork? Do you think that he's NHL ready?

Thanks for everyones time to read this post. See you again in a few weeks. Until then, good luck.

Fleury looked really good and continues to shine every game he plays. You guys have a superb netminder on your hands giving your Pens an immediate chance to win games they otherwise would have lost last season. He makes me think back to the flashes of brilliance Patrick Lalime displayed a few years back when he broke into the league and won all those games in a row. Hopefully he takes a lot of the sting out of losing Lalime and Hedberg. Didn't really see much at all in the way of weaknesses from Fleury in this game. Seemed to be in position and making the right reads time and time again. The redirected goal off of Fata's stick can't be blamed on him on the first one from Rafalski and the Gionta one was just the result of someone crashing the net without much in the way of defensive support to aid him. He came out of the net and played aggressively at times. Didn't see him handle the puck a whole lot so I can't comment on that aspect of his game aside from the few instances where he made a few clears to his D. You gotta be psyched that this kid is going to get a lotta press this season and it should be all good. Mario was thinking with both hats when he pulled out all the stops and offered a place for Fleury to stay at his home and then followed up on making sure he was signed for this season when your GM was taking his sweet time with regards to making a final decision in training camp.

Blackjack
10-24-2003, 06:09 PM
Chico said that after the game ended, Fleury hung around and timed his exit off the ice to coincide with Brodeur's, and Marty in turn recognized him with an encouraging gesture, which is nice to see on both sides. As for his play, I was pretty inpressed, like Unthinkable said, he didn't handle the puck a whole lot, but in terms of puck stoppage I thought he looked like a very mature goaltender with great speed and skill. I'm usually pretty skeptical of young goaltenders, but I have to admit he played really well.

Voice of Reason
10-25-2003, 06:43 AM
Fleury made some highlight film stops. Pittsburgh's D is not horrible, so hopefully he won't be shell-shocked by seeing too many shots/game by January.
Fleury seemed to have a great attitude last night as well. He played pretty loose and recovered very quickly after saves.
Looks like a definite force to contend with sometime soon.

Unthinkable
10-25-2003, 07:47 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/penguins/20031025penside1025p4.asp
The Devils were shaking their heads about Fleury, too, after he stopped all 32 shots taken against him with sticks rather than skates.

"We were talking about him, and the object was to keep shooting," Gionta said. "We tried to get the puck up on him and, when we did that, he did pretty well. You can see from watching him he knows the fundamentals, knows the game."

"He is a good goaltender, a young and energetic goaltender," coach Pat Burns said. "I'm sure he has a bright career in front of him. He is definitely a star in the future in this league."

One that is shining alone in the Penguins' end these days. Fleury has faced an average of 38 shots per game in his first four NHL appearances, and that does not begin to describe the quality of chances he is thwarting. Still, he has a save percentage of .947 that is among the top three in the league.

AvsDevs19&30
10-25-2003, 10:10 AM
I agree I saw FLeury for the first time last night and was impressed. Actually the Penns did not look as bad as I was lead to believe they were this year. Not Cup contenders, but better than last year.