'Yotes @ 'Nucks GDT, Oct. 26/03

Thalia
10-24-2003, 08:27 PM
http://espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/nhl/lrg/trans/pho.gif@http://espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/nhl/lrg/trans/van.gif

Date: Sunday, Oct. 26, 2003
Time: 7:00 pm PST
Place: General Motors Place, Vancouver, BC
TV: Sportsnet Pacific
Radio: CKNW

Post your predictions and comments here.

I think the 'Nucks will keep their perfect home record and go 5 for 5.

'Nucks 5
'Yotes 2

canucksfan
10-24-2003, 08:48 PM
3-2 Coyotes

Bertuzzi and Ohlund get the goals

colonel_korn
10-24-2003, 10:56 PM
OMG WHY DID YOU START GAME DAY THREAD? :rant:

Edler Statesman*
10-25-2003, 07:07 AM
Canucks 6
Coyotes 2

Chubarov gets all eight goals

UserName
10-25-2003, 07:51 AM
4-1 canucks in their black jerseys with navy, silver and red trim

d.sedin, bertuzzi, naslund and king

doan

Peter Griffin
10-25-2003, 08:17 AM
5-3 Canucks

Goals by Bertuzzi(2), Naslund, Jovo, D.Sedin.

I'm going to this game, anyone else here going?

Burke's Evil Spirit
10-25-2003, 08:32 AM
Canucks: 3 (Markus Naslund, Daniel Sedin, Sami Salo)
Coyotes: 1 (Brent Sopel)

SedinFan*
10-25-2003, 10:14 AM
OMG WHY DID YOU START GAME DAY THREAD? :rant:

Booooo you should be ashamed,.

PigPen
10-25-2003, 10:29 AM
4-2 'nucks.

Is the game going to be on Hockey Night in Canada or are they going to air a boring Calgary or Edmonton game?

Thalia
10-25-2003, 10:34 AM
4-2 'nucks.

Is the game going to be on Hockey Night in Canada or are they going to air a boring Calgary or Edmonton game?
The game is on Sunday (HNIC is on Saturday) so it'll be shown on Sportsnet Pacific.

I know, I'm a wee bit early with the game thread but that way it gives more people time to post their comments.

And yes HNIC will be showing the Calgary/Edmonton game tonight.

maruk14
10-25-2003, 10:35 AM
PP, it's tomorrow night.

Reign Nateo
10-25-2003, 10:35 AM
Phoenix plays in San Jose tonight, and Vancouver is off until Sunday. So I think the Canucks will come out a little rusty, but should be able to shake it off, and hopefully have Bertuzzi's contract headache behind them. So I'll say the Canucks get behind a bit, but keep their home record perfect.

Vancouver 4
(Bertuzzi 2, Cooke, Salo)

Phoenix 3
(Johnson, Nagy, Radivojevic)

canuckerfan
10-25-2003, 12:13 PM
I wonder who's in the net today? Although Cloutier played very well after he gave up that crappy goal last game. Should be interesting.

I say 3-1 Canucks.

GO CANUCKS GO!

ping
10-25-2003, 12:29 PM
I'm curious who starts too but I'm going with 4-2 Canucks

D. Sedin, Sopel, Naslund, Jovanovski for the Canucks
Nagy and Tanabe for the Coyotes

DeveinedPgBc
10-25-2003, 04:43 PM
I'm going to this game, anyone else here going?

me and my 2 buddies are driving from prince george to van for the game tommorrow.

we are going to be looking for halloween costumes or masks there,can anyone suggest a good place to go to buy anything good?????money doesn't matter if its completely wicked!

Peter Griffin
10-25-2003, 07:57 PM
me and my 2 buddies are driving from prince george to van for the game tommorrow.

Me and a friend are going, it's my B-Day! :yo:

we are going to be looking for halloween costumes or masks there,can anyone suggest a good place to go to buy anything good?????money doesn't matter if its completely wicked!

I'll make sure I look for the 3 goofs that are dressed up... ;) :D

DeveinedPgBc
10-25-2003, 09:43 PM
I'll make sure I look for the 3 goofs that are dressed up...
and i will look for the kid holding his mothers hand.lol lol
idiot!lol

Mizral
10-25-2003, 10:04 PM
The Yotes can no longer, in my mind, be considered a terrible hockey club. The entire bottom half of the West just got better this year. There are precious few 'easy two points' games.

I am interested to see how the Canucks solve Sean Burke tonight, too.

The Produce Man
10-26-2003, 01:13 AM
Canucks 2
Phenoix 0

Both goals by Bertuzzi. Cloutier gets the start, and has strong defenseive play in front of him. Scorless after the first 2 periods, but a continued powerplay from the second will see Bertuzzi pot a goal. His second will come even strength. A tight checking game, with not many shots by either team.

Peter Griffin
10-26-2003, 04:08 AM
and i will look for the kid holding his mothers hand.lol lol
idiot!lol

Damn, you figured me out! :rant:

Dancing Chicken
10-26-2003, 06:56 AM
Yah the Yotes are playing wide open hockey right now but they are scoring alot too.. 12 goals in the last three games. The Yotes played a hard and long game last night so they will be dirt tired.. I say look for a Vancouver win about 6-4 I say.. maybe 6-5, with lots of hitting and LOTS of penalties..

Reign Nateo
10-26-2003, 07:11 AM
Seems like the only easy two points in the West is when Eastern teams not from Ottawa or New Jersey come to town.

nuksforlife
10-26-2003, 07:14 AM
6-1 Vancouver

H. Sedin 2g
King 1g
Bert 1g
Cooke 1g
Jovo 1g

Unthinkable
10-26-2003, 07:58 AM
Seems like the only easy two points in the West is when Eastern teams not from Ottawa or New Jersey come to town.

If the Devils keep playing like they have been, NJ will be an easy 2 points for you guys.

Impossibles
10-26-2003, 09:40 AM
3-2 Canucks. This is the night the WCE busts out with 2 goals.

Bertuzzi will be pumped to play good before the contract extension signing is announced tomorrow. :yo:

Edler Statesman*
10-26-2003, 10:27 AM
Burke should be playing tonight since Bierk played last night

and I would guess that Hedberg is playing for vancouver?

I Hate You All*
10-26-2003, 11:59 AM
Phoenix 0
Vancouver 5

on Enrico Ciccone appreciation night.

thecanucker
10-26-2003, 12:15 PM
4-2 canucks

Mizral
10-26-2003, 05:06 PM
Lots of interesting news to follow behind the game (subplots).

I just hope Naslund gets a goal or a point tonight. I wanna see a nice night by him.

A goal by Daniel would be nice to see too. 1 goal and 6 assists is nice and all, but I want to see more goals!

LaVal
10-26-2003, 05:24 PM
i'm sick of Bertuzzi always negating our powerplays

Red
10-26-2003, 05:34 PM
These stupid pretty plays are not working on the PP. Being aesthetically pleasing is not the point.

Thalia
10-26-2003, 05:40 PM
Lotsa King hype; he's quite the story.

Thalia
10-26-2003, 05:41 PM
Magnus. :D

Edit: Linden. :rolleyes:

thecanucker
10-26-2003, 05:44 PM
:handclap:Linden:handclap:
Assists: Magnus Arvedson and Matt Cooke

Mizral
10-26-2003, 05:46 PM
The Sedin/Sedin/King line plays such textbook hockey, it's funny.

They spent an entire shift in the offensive zone, most of the time on the board. But wouldn't you know it, they make the opposition defensemen dead tired and King draws a penalty.

10 bucks says the top PP unit doesn't score here, and the Sedin PP unit pop one in here in the 1st minute of the 2nd!

Edler Statesman*
10-26-2003, 05:51 PM
Bertuzzi and Naslund are faltering on a lot of plays that stars like that should automatically be able to do.. little things like short passes or tips. I think maybe since it's been 3 days inbetween games they're a little rusty.

Mizral
10-26-2003, 05:55 PM
Bertuzzi and Naslund are faltering on a lot of plays that stars like that should automatically be able to do.. little things like short passes or tips. I think maybe since it's been 3 days inbetween games they're a little rusty.

I think most of us aren't too worried just yet. If it's 10 games and they still haven't gotten going, I"ll be worried. But right now, I'll cut Bertuzzi some slack, and Naslund, well, he can still go put up a 2 - 4 point night two or three games in a row and be right back at the top of the heap again.

Kootnuck
10-26-2003, 05:59 PM
I hope the action picks up in the second, I almost fell alseep.
Berts gotta start hittin!!

nucks2001
10-26-2003, 06:11 PM
yay jovo 2-0

evman150*
10-26-2003, 06:16 PM
Brent Sopel is absolutely horrible.

incawg
10-26-2003, 06:16 PM
sign berard and trade sopel :(

Red
10-26-2003, 06:17 PM
First, the stupidest, most BS penalty in the history of refereeing on Naslund's "hook".

And then Sopel keeps up with his "one-awful-giveaway-per-game" motto. I can't watch this guy anymore.

nucks2001
Nucks 2
Sopel 1

Connecticut
sign berard and trade sopel :(

Doan from Nagy and Sopel

CFABoy
10-26-2003, 06:18 PM
Brent Sopel is absolutely horrible.

Every other game a frickin bone headed play...what is with his brain cramps? When will he learn and why does crawford keep putting up with his shiest - another goal - frick - that really turned the momentum.

Red
This is UGLY.

(@%&%$*^%#$*%#

nucks2001
wow its a good thing this team is helping Cloutier wow

LaVal
our defensive zone play is absolutely PATHETIC

ZadorovNJD*
10-26-2003, 06:19 PM
Nice pass by Sopel....unfortunately wrong team.

Red
10-26-2003, 06:19 PM
our defensive zone play is absolutely PATHETIC

I think you're being too kind.

LaVal
10-26-2003, 06:20 PM
btw remember my complaint about negating our own powerplays? this one cost us 2 goals.

bench the top line

C'nuckleHead
10-26-2003, 06:23 PM
Boy am I glad I'm not watching this. I doubt I could put up with any more Sopes gaffes.

Good thing you couldn't see Jovo on the 2nd goal! Pathetic!

Red
10-26-2003, 06:39 PM
Our 'peepee' gives me nightmares.

This was an incredibly atrocious period. Oh. My. God. Atrocious.

SwisshockeyAcademy
10-26-2003, 06:49 PM
Guys, i really think somebody had better take Cale Hulse to task for trying to drive naslund's head thru the crossbar. This is when a true heavyweight is missed. Even so someone should ask him to dance but avoid an instigator.

I Hate You All*
10-26-2003, 06:53 PM
I watch the simpsons and when I come back Phoenix has tied it up.
Come on guys, do it for Enrico.

MVP
10-26-2003, 06:55 PM
Cannot blame Cloutier for the two goals, but as far as Sopel goes :moon:

Mizral
10-26-2003, 07:04 PM
This is one of the worst goals I've ever seen Sopel play.

Red
10-26-2003, 07:08 PM
NASLUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty goal.

incawg
10-26-2003, 07:13 PM
NEWS CONFERENCE AFTER THE GAME!!! Just announced on CKNW!

Red
10-26-2003, 07:15 PM
^ Confirmed on Sportsnet. :)

Red
10-26-2003, 07:24 PM
Goddamit. We just can't seem to learn to close out games. Jesus. Ugh. Cloutier simply must let in one of these each game.

LaVal
10-26-2003, 07:25 PM
the Canucks continue their trademark of not being able to play 60 minutes. why always ALWAYS the collapse in the dying minutes?

ttr
10-26-2003, 07:28 PM
It's Nonis though. Don't know how much they're going to say.

maybe bert will score the ot winner :dunno:

Red
10-26-2003, 07:35 PM
We should've had the two points. *sigh*

LaVal
10-26-2003, 07:38 PM
Canucks checklist

Take costly penalties which result in loss of lead: check
Scramble like juniors in the defensive zone: check
Blow every powerplay: check
Make at least 2 tape to tape giveaways: check
Play actual hockey for about 45 minutes: check
Stop trying with a lead with dying minutes: check
Give up a goal and therefor a point: check

sounds like the Canucks played their usual game tonight

Riven
10-26-2003, 07:40 PM
I don't agree with Jovanovski as the third star. I don't think any of our defensemen played well tonight. For the most part their passing and puck handline were just dreadful.

LaVal
10-26-2003, 07:42 PM
I don't agree with Jovanovski as the third star. I don't think any of our defensemen played well tonight. For the most part their passing and puck handline were just dreadful.

i'll deffinately agree with you on that one

Mizral
10-26-2003, 07:46 PM
This game was lost on the power play, and in the second period. Flat out, we let the Yotes back into the game in the 2nd, that was the key.

However, luckily, it's in the early part of the year.

(NONIS IS TALKING RIGHT NOW!)

Burke's Evil Spirit
10-26-2003, 08:01 PM
Hoo-ah! Four more year of Bertuzzi...

I Hate You All*
10-26-2003, 08:13 PM
Once again Enrico is totally unappreciated and completely overshadowed.

Edler Statesman*
10-26-2003, 08:14 PM
things I noticed:

Bryan Allen
Awesome game from him, very few errors. His only flaw that I noticed was that he took the man every time, when at times it would have been easier and more beneficial to take the puck.

Brent Sopel
STOP TRYING TO MAKE PRETTY OUTLET PASSES. Just get it out along the boards.

Magnus Arvedson
Poor game defensively tonight, had a lot of trouble keeping up with his checks.

Brendan Morrison
I think he hesitates when he gets a sure goal, because he messed up twice tonight on chances that Malik would have had.

colonel_korn
10-26-2003, 08:24 PM
Canucks checklist

Take costly penalties which result in loss of lead: check
Scramble like juniors in the defensive zone: check
Blow every powerplay: check
Make at least 2 tape to tape giveaways: check
Play actual hockey for about 45 minutes: check
Stop trying with a lead with dying minutes: check
Give up a goal and therefor a point: check

sounds like the Canucks played their usual game tonight

Agree with everything except the "costly penalty which results in loss of lead". You can't blame Naslund for that BS penalty. That was either a total screw-up by the ref or a blatant even-up call. The guy caught an edge in the ice and fell.
The Canucks' play in their own end on the resulting 4-on-4 was f'ing pathetic though. Worst I've seen all season.

Reign Nateo
10-26-2003, 08:46 PM
I was actually going to come on here and phraise Cloutier for a solid game until the tying goalie. Note to Cloutier:

THIS ISN'T 1984, WE DON'T LET WEAK WRAPAROUNDS IN ANYMORE.

Just wanted to get that out. Bertuzzi is signed, Colorado lost, and we didn't. I guess I shouldn't be too unhappy.

JOCA
10-26-2003, 08:50 PM
Tough break giving up the late goal. I'm impressed with the play of the Yotes however. They came at us pretty hard tonight after being down 2-0 and ended up earning the point.

quat
10-26-2003, 09:02 PM
I cannot believe the quality of players on the ice during that 4 on 4 would let any team, never mind the Dogs play with them like that. It almost made me physically ill. Not only that, but they did it again at the end of overtime... totally uninspired play. Gack. Canucks shoot themselves in the foot. Glad this game is over, and I suggest every CAnuck on the team go and slap themselves three times for each goal.

ON the other hand, fantastic signing! Good to hear that we have a team willing to continue at trend aiming at winning the SC. :handclap:

Waveburner
10-26-2003, 09:17 PM
DISGUSTING POWERPLAY

Break up the WCE-seriously, they have zero chemistry 5 on 5 anymore. Bertuzzi keeps f'in passing to Naslund. No matter where on the ice he is, he just HAS to pass to Naslund. The only problem is, what other line do you break up? The other three lines have been pretty decent, but the top line looks completely out of sync. At least they are more responsible this year though.

That 4 on 4 in the 2nd period-all FOUR Canucks stopped skating and just watched the 'Yotes skate around. It reminded me of the Keenan days-no effort whatsoever.

Cloutier-wraparound goal with a minute to go? Yikes. He actually played well until that goal. But that should have been stopped.

Sopel needs to sit a game-and soon. He is regressing out there.

Bertuzzi contract-good deal. Now start earning it-1 goal in 8 games? Is your wrist STILL sprained from the playoffs?

Sedin line-they were ok-but didn't generate nearly as many chances as they have been. They were also even worse than the WCE on the PP.

orcatown
10-26-2003, 09:52 PM
Terrible game really. So many shoddy passes and very poor defensive coverage. Individual assessment

Cooke - sub-par performance. Usually you can count on him to show up. Standing still all night.

WCE - still not jelling. Especially on PP.

Matress Line - off night . However still our best line. Like the play of King. Has been very consistent

Defense was brutal:

Sopel - what can you say. Maybe he needs some glasses or contact lenses. Hard to know what goes through his head at time at times

Malik - skating was worse then usual. I think he opens every season the same way - awful. However as players wear down he tends to look better. Big guy who doesn't wear down as much. At the moment hard to watch.

Allen - Still terribly awkward and still slow in responding to situations. To me he is a disappointment so far. Crawford never played him during the last part of the third and, of course, OT. Makes too many mistakes in coverage and containment. Given this game I would trade him straight up for Spiller.

Jovo. good offense - poor defense. Made some bad gaffes

Ohlund- played most of the last part of the game. Trying too do too much to cover up for brutal play of others

Salo - steady as usual

Thought that Keane and Ruutu also looked weak.

All in all and given this lack lustre effort we were lucky to get a point.

KOMO_ROCKS
10-26-2003, 09:56 PM
Cannot blame Cloutier for the two goals, but as far as Sopel goes :moon:

There is definately a strong chance that he is in the dog house :moon:

MVP
10-26-2003, 10:01 PM
There is definately a strong chance that he is in the dog house :moon:

First Baron and now this, omg. :dunno:

cyrisweb
10-26-2003, 10:02 PM
WTF! FiRE THE WHOLE TEAM!

Start with Sopel first, he started the slide downhill in this game.

KOMO_ROCKS
10-26-2003, 10:07 PM
First Baron and now this, omg. :dunno:

I smell something brewing involving Cloutier and Sopel...... :p

_Del_
10-26-2003, 10:12 PM
I didn't get a chance to see the game, and was just wondering if you could comment a little on how PHX looked tonight. Just looking for a different perspective....
Thanks,

MVP
10-26-2003, 10:17 PM
I didn't get a chance to see the game, and was just wondering if you could comment a little on how PHX looked tonight. Just looking for a different perspective....
Thanks,

They looked good at time but they did not play with a lot of discipline.

Coyo competed hard given they played against SJ the night before, Sean Burke looked solid especially on the PK, Doan, Nagy, Kolanos and Mara were good. i did not notice Gratton at all.

KOMO_ROCKS
10-26-2003, 10:40 PM
They looked good at time but they did not play with a lot of discipline.

Coyo competed hard given they played against SJ the night before, Sean Burke looked solid especially on the PK, Doan, Nagy, Kolanos and Mara were good. i did not notice Gratton at all.

Doan sure had a deke goal on Cloutier.....one of the nicest goals so far this season ;)

Reign Nateo
10-27-2003, 07:07 AM
Man, I saw the replay of the Sopel giveaway a few times now and wow, that was brutal. He looked right at the guy (Nagy) and hit him on the tape. I still can't beleive he gave the puck away like that.

Rageinthecage
10-27-2003, 07:25 AM
How can anyone slag Sopel here? He's our leading point producer so far. Before everyone opens the flame throwers on my ass, let me explain.

Sopel's (OFFICIAL) stats:

GP G A PTS
8 1 4 5

What the above numbers fail to take into account, are all the nice plays to the opposition in his own end. Beautiful pass to Nagy last night. Great hand/eye coordination on his knockdown goal he put behind Cloutier earlier in the week. Not to mention all the other excellent tape to tape passes to players in the wrong coloured jerseys in the first few games (two resulting in goals by my count).

Revised stats:

GP G A PTS
8 2 7 9

See, our top scorer. Why is everyone so hard on the guy? http://www.hfboards.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif http://www.hfboards.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif http://www.hfboards.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

JOCA
10-27-2003, 09:16 AM
Man, I saw the replay of the Sopel giveaway a few times now and wow, that was brutal. He looked right at the guy (Nagy) and hit him on the tape. I still can't beleive he gave the puck away like that.

I have no idea which teamate he was trying to pass it too. I saw Bert I believe come back to back check but I can't figure out what pass he was trying to make :dunno:

Mimz
10-27-2003, 03:48 PM
I have no idea which teamate he was trying to pass it too. I saw Bert I believe come back to back check but I can't figure out what pass he was trying to make :dunno:

He wasn't trying to make a pass to anyone specifically, I don't think. He tried to make a feed pass up the middle instead of just shooting it up the boards. He failed miserably, but at least he was trying to do something. I've seen the giveaway over and over, and that's the only thing that makes sense. Sopes wouldn't just knowingly pass to the other team. I give him more credit than that. :p

I agree with what someone else said earlier though. Sopel needed to keep it simple and pass along the boards, rather than making a pass onto open ice and causing a goal. Bad play, but whatcha gonna do? It happens. Move on. Let's hope he doesn't make another mistake next game. Well... let's hope that the mistake he makes next game won't be bad enough to notice :joker: