Posed this question on the NHL Talk section

Coolburn
10-25-2003, 04:48 AM
Is Keenan the right coach for FL?

Its in regards to the comments made by Healy regarding Keenan. I'm on the fence either way but for those that want to read the comments I figured I'd link the thread here.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=22650

FlaPanthers7
10-25-2003, 08:39 AM
My opinion since day 1 of the Keenan era: NO :yo:

Keenan's great with vets and he works wonders with certain projects, but one thing he is not is a teacher. That's exactly what the Kittens need!

IceKatsRHot
10-25-2003, 08:45 AM

Keenan's great with vets and he works wonders with certain projects, but one thing he is not is a teacher. That's exactly what the Kittens need!

As sadly to think and say this... I agree

I was a huge Keenan supporter when he came here from the great job he did with turning Boston around...

But as time goes on more and more, as people keep saying let these kids grow, all I keep hearing is 3 or 4 more years and just wait!

This team should have GROWN somewhat by now especially since last year.. Look at Atlanta, Look at Columbus, Look at Tampa Bay.. they were on the same kind of rebuilding plans as us and each have improved somewhat from the seasons previous..

Im not saying we should have a perfect record but we should not be making these same mistakes...

Keenan is not the right coach for us, we need teachers.. plain and simple

Buffaloed
10-25-2003, 05:25 PM
Keenan's value to the Panthers is that it exposes the players to a bit of hell. They'll really appreciate the next coach and work hard because they know things can be much worse. I'll be picking the Panthers to win their division for their first full season under a new coach.

Captain8
10-27-2003, 07:35 AM
Is Keenan the right coach for FL?

Its in regards to the comments made by Healy regarding Keenan. I'm on the fence either way but for those that want to read the comments I figured I'd link the thread here.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=22650

On the fence about Keenan? :)

I'm not on the fence, but I'm also prepared for the worst.

Although the situation in Chicago was seemingly less volatile, look what happened with the Hawks. The coach was handpicked by the president and (in part) the owner and, sure enough, the GM in love with prospects who thought he was rebuilding got the axe.

At this point, it may not matter if Keenan is right coach.

Acadmus
10-27-2003, 08:09 AM

I actually disagree, and its because of a sociological issue. Youth culture these days seems based on a lack of character and the expectation of instant gratification or you give up. Keenan's old-school, hard-line ways are enough to cure them of the former, as they'll have to learn to develop a thick skin and respond to criticism instead of wilting under it. Struggling from an also-ran, 3rd pick in the draft team to a playoff contender will teach these kids the latter, as they'll learn that success isn't going to come easily and whenever you want it. It has to be earned, and sometimes you simply have to wait for it.

Keenan also is mellowing somewhat, and is doing his part to teach his players that they aren't going to win if they don't stop being fancy and start doing the simple things right. He hasn't had any major blowups nearly a month into the regular season, and no notable controversy. He's criticized his team, not individuals, for not playing physically enough. When they started to get that message, he criticized them for not shooting the puck enough. He's pointed out repeatedly that Luongo was the only reason they've been in the game in each loss and tie, which is also a good thing because it helps keep the goalie's confidence up during a loss. He also didn't lash out at Roberto for his one bad game where he let in two soft goals, since he recognized that it's an aberration due to fatigue and not his usual play.

Personally I hated that the Panthers went with Keenan and not, say, Pat Burns (who was available then) or even Ted Nolan (who seems blackballed by the league's GMs). But I've come to appreciate some of Keenan's ways, and I've seen the things I didn't like about him diminish somewhat as he learns his own flaws. Even as he tries to make the Panthers a better team, his arrangement with Dudley and Alan Cohen along with the young team he has is making him a better and much more complete coach.

patastrophe
10-28-2003, 12:17 AM
Personally I hated that the Panthers went with Keenan and not, say, Pat Burns (who was available then) or even Ted Nolan (who seems blackballed by the league's GMs). .

burns is another grumbling, curmudgeon, grouch type that grinds players down after awhile. he gets the job done, but hes not much easier on the feelings than keenan.

as far as nolan, i dont know if hes blackballed for going behind his gm's back to ownership, or if hes blackballed for knocking boots with his star goalie's wife (thats the rumor anyway)...but either way its pretty obvious that the league doesnt want him coaching for one reason or another.

the dude wins the jack adams, gets fired, and probably thirty coaches have been hired since.