Foreign Players in Sm-Liiga 03-04

jepjepjoo
10-25-2003, 05:53 AM
I thought this list I made might intrest some of you...

Czech Republic

Jan Caloun, Blues
Ladislav Kohn, Blues
Ladislav Benysek, HIFK
Roman Vopat, HIFK
Tomas Kucharcik, HPK
Vladimir Sicak, HPK
Martin Hlavacka, Ilves
Marek Vorel, Ilves
Radim Kucharczyk, Ilves
Martin Stepanek, Kärpät
Petr Tenkrat, Kärpät
Martin Cech, Pelicans
Radek Philipp, Blues
Vladimir Machulda, Kärpät
Petr Sachl, Saipa
Jiri Vykoukal, TPS

Vladimir Vujtek, HPK* (30GP 9G 16A 25P)
Martin Spanhel, HIFK* (36GP 2G 11A 13P)

Canada

Drew Bannister, Blues
Dave Stathos, HIFK
Rob Tallas, HPK (Heart problems)
Cory Murphy, Ilves
Glen Metropolit, Jokerit
Todd Warriner, Jokerit
Alexandre Tremblay, JYP
Pierre-Claude Drouin, JYP
Brad Smyth, Kärpät
Joe Murphy, Lukko
Quinn Hancock, Lukko
Daniel Tkaczuk, Lukko
Jeff Ulmer, Lukko
Shayne Toporowski, Ilves
Mike Lephart, Blues
Dale Clarke, Tappara
Martin Bergeron, Ässät
Scott Langkow, Ässät

Bruce Gardiner, Blues* (22GP 6G 5A 11P)
Kevin Hodson, Jokerit* (3 games 5GAA, but didnt convince)
Rod Sarich, Blues* (20GP 0G 1A 1P)
Jason Dawe, Kärpät* (15GP 0G 1A 1P 8PIM)
Harlan Pratt, TPS* (3GP 0G 0A 0P -tryout-)
Matthieu Descoteaux, Tappara* (6GP 0G 0A 0P)
Dylan Gyori, Tappara* (8GP 0G 1A 1P)

USA

Brett Harkins, HIFK
Brett Lievers, Kärpät
David Schneider, TPS
Steve Shirreffs, Ässät

Sweden

Anders Burström, Jokerit
Daniel Widing, Pelicans
Stefan Öhman, Tappara

Thomas Sjögren, Jokerit* (20GP 1G 2A 3P)

Austria

Oliver Setzinger, HPK (Pelicans->Kalpa(Mestis)->HPK)

Estonia

Lauri Lahesalu, Kärpät

Russia

Alexander Barkov, Tappara

Latvia

Oleg Sorokin, Ässät
Vjatsheslav Fandul, Ässät

Leonid Tambijevs, Tappara* (12GP 4G 5A 9P)

Slovakia

Lubomir Hurtaj, HIFK

*No longer on roster

Spiffy
10-25-2003, 06:22 AM
four swedes! Why that many??? The SEL only has more than 35 finns :D

Edit: replaced 40 with 35.

Jamina
10-26-2003, 03:10 AM
Foreign players' statistics (http://www.sm-liiga.fi/tilasto.asp?otsake1=Kausi+2003%2D2004+runkosarja&sarja=1124&maingroup=1&group=7&parm=4)

Jeff
10-26-2003, 10:31 PM
Lack of swedish players in Sm-liiga is becouse in SM-liiga swedes are considered as foreign players and in Elitserien finns are not considered as foreign players, so that's why there are so many finns in elitserien. Quite a shame in my oppinion, but on the otherhand it gives finland an advantage to produce good players in the future also becouse young guys get more easily a chance in sm-liiga and in elitserien quite often a pretty old finn will take the place from young swedish player. So this is elitseriens and swedens loss in a long run.

Spiffy
10-26-2003, 10:37 PM
Lack of swedish players in Sm-liiga is becouse in SM-liiga swedes are considered as foreign players and in Elitserien finns are not considered as foreign players, so that's why there are so many finns in elitserien. Quite a shame in my oppinion, but on the otherhand it gives finland an advantage to produce good players in the future also becouse young guys get more easily a chance in sm-liiga and in elitserien quite often a pretty old finn will take the place from young swedish player. So this is elitseriens and swedens loss in a long run.

Swedish teams usually transfer for a Finn because they don't have to play the bonus fees for national team games played and so on as they have to when they transfer for a swede from within elitserien. It is cheaper to get a Finn than it is to get a swede.

jepjepjoo
10-28-2003, 07:18 AM
Swedish teams usually transfer for a Finn because they don't have to play the bonus fees for national team games played and so on as they have to when they transfer for a swede from within elitserien. It is cheaper to get a Finn than it is to get a swede.

Yea but the fact that finnish player isnt considered a foreigner is a big factor

Kronblom
10-28-2003, 07:58 AM
Yea but the fact that finnish player isnt considered a foreigner is a big factor
Huh? Only in Finland I guess... :dunno: It´s a different story with danes and norweigans though since you actually understand what they are saying.

The transferfees is the only factor, and that´s the reason why Anders Burström plays in Finland instead of Sweden. Absolutely no team in Elitserien was interested of paying the fees for him when he left Luleå.

Spiffy
10-28-2003, 08:01 AM
Huh? Only in Finland I guess... :dunno: It´s a different story with danes and norweigans though since you actually understand what they are saying.

The transferfees is the only factor, and that´s the reason why Anders Burström plays in Finland instead of Sweden. Absolutely no team in Elitserien was interested of paying the fees for him when he left Luleå.

That's what I thought too. I've never heard of finns not being considered foreigners before...

jj_fin
10-28-2003, 10:14 AM
I think that he's trying to say that a Finn doesn't count as a NON-EU player in Sweden. In Finland teams are allowed to have 5 foreigners in their roster (well, teams can have 15 foreigners in their roster, but only 5 are allowed to play at the same time) no matter what if the player is from Latvia, Sweden, or Canada.

If I've understood right, in Sweden teams are allowed to have a certain number of non-EU players, but there aren't restrictions to the players who are from countries that belong to the EU. (ie. Malmö could be full of Danish players, but TPS can only have five Danes).

My english isn't very good, but I hope that you got the point.

GKJ
10-28-2003, 11:26 AM
Joe Murphy.

Ha.

After his fiasco in Boston he never got a call from anyone here in North America.

jepjepjoo
10-28-2003, 01:06 PM
I think that he's trying to say that a Finn doesn't count as a NON-EU player in Sweden. In Finland teams are allowed to have 5 foreigners in their roster (well, teams can have 15 foreigners in their roster, but only 5 are allowed to play at the same time) no matter what if the player is from Latvia, Sweden, or Canada.

If I've understood right, in Sweden teams are allowed to have a certain number of non-EU players, but there aren't restrictions to the players who are from countries that belong to the EU. (ie. Malmö could be full of Danish players, but TPS can only have five Danes).

My english isn't very good, but I hope that you got the point.

Thats exactly what i meant :)

jepjepjoo
11-11-2003, 12:19 PM
3 players included

Drew Bannister, Blues (Canada)
Daniel Tkaczuk, Lukko (Canada)
Jeff Ulmer, Lukko (Canada)

jj_fin
11-13-2003, 06:13 AM
You might want to add Petr Tenkrat (Kärpät) to that list.

Ulmer and Tk...etc. have a try-out contract.

Jussi
11-13-2003, 06:43 AM
Joe Murphy.

Ha.

After his fiasco in Boston he never got a call from anyone here in North America.

Different Joe Murphy here. This ones younger and a righty.

jepjepjoo
11-13-2003, 12:40 PM
Different Joe Murphy here. This ones younger and a righty.

Added
Petr Tenkrat, Kärpät

cagney
11-13-2003, 11:32 PM
This is quite an interesting thread. I know most people over here (North America) don't really care what happens to guys who wash out of the NHL but I find it interesting seeing how they adjust to these other leagues and what kind of impact they end up having. When you see guys like Todd Warriner and Dan Tkaczuk who were top draft picks it makes you wonder if they can showcase thier talent a little more. It's also interesting to note that some guys who were top AHL'ers like Brad Smyth and Jason Dawe don't seem to be making any impact at all over there.

Can anyone whose seen these guys play explain how thier games have adapted (or not adapted) to the league? Thanks.

jepjepjoo
11-14-2003, 02:51 AM
new player

Leonid Tambijevs, Tappara (Latvia)

Riddarn
11-14-2003, 08:24 PM
How is Widing doing?

jepjepjoo
11-16-2003, 02:02 AM
Kärpät is looking for a new for Jason Dawe...

Petr Tenkrat made a 3 year deal with Kärpät

Leonid Tambijevs got a great start as he made 2 goals in his 1st match

Daniel Widing has 1+4=5

tmoh
11-16-2003, 12:04 PM
An unconfirmed report says that Matthieu Descoteaux has returned to North America after not getting a try-out chance with the German DEL team Frankfurt Lions, where he supposedly went after being released by two different Finnish teams, Tappara Tampere and Sport Vaasa.

jepjepjoo
11-21-2003, 03:01 AM
Thomas Sjögren,Sweden was released by Jokerit

Rod Sarich, Canada was released by Blues

Korkki
11-21-2003, 04:34 PM
Oleg Sorokins (Ässät & Latvia) is out of the season due to the fracture in his leg

jepjepjoo
11-30-2003, 01:51 PM
Oleg Sorokins (Ässät & Latvia) is out of the season due to the fracture in his leg

-Sorokins is expected to play in 4 weeks

-Kevin Hodson released by Jokerit

Jamina
12-03-2003, 02:46 AM
Kärpät released Jason Lowe. Lowe goes back to USA.

Padawan
12-03-2003, 03:36 AM
Kärpät released Jason Lowe. Lowe goes back to USA.

Jason Dawe is the correct name. Dawe will be returning to NA.

BlackAdderI
12-03-2003, 05:00 AM
It's also interesting to note that some guys who were top AHL'ers like Brad Smyth and Jason Dawe don't seem to be making any impact at all over there.

Can anyone whose seen these guys play explain how thier games have adapted (or not adapted) to the league? Thanks.

Jason Dawe were a big mistake and disapointment in finnish SM-Liiga. I heard that his career has been going down several years before he came here? Kärpät thought that he will try to get his career up here and believed that good points in NHL, some years ago, guarantee something. Truth was that his physical shape were very bad. He was slow skater and play with the puck was so poor that I even hate to think about that. Honestly one of the poorest foreign player in the league what I have ever seen. Even couple of years go Jevgeny Davydov were better!

In the beginning in Kärpät Brad Smyth were also out of shape because of his injury but he is now playing very strong and good game with Jari Viuhkola and Petr Tenkrat. That line is maby the top line in the league at the moment. Yesterday Smyth made couple of brilliant goals against HIFK in top campaign of league. Kärpät won the game 4-2 and took first place in the league standings.

Tenkrat-Viuhkola-Smyth line points from last five games:

1. Jari Viuhkola 0 + 7 = 7
2. Brad Smyth 2 + 3 = 5
3. Petr Tenkrat 4 + 0 = 4

As you can see they are playing very productive game. Jari Viuhkola is leading scorer of the league: 27 12 + 18 = 30; Tenkrat: 6 5 + 1 = 6; Smyth 20 7 + 5 = 12.

jepjepjoo
12-07-2003, 05:23 AM
Shayne Toporowsky is back on Pelicans roster?

Padawan
12-07-2003, 08:17 AM
Shayne Toporowsky is back on Pelicans roster?

He never actually were of Pelicans roster. He is "on sale" but plays there until someone buys out his contract or his contract is ended.

Mike Lephart has been brought in to Pelicans.

Padawan
12-28-2003, 01:29 PM
He is now negoatiating with JYP Jyväskylä and TPS Turku (both SM-liiga teams). There is also possibility that he will move to some team outside Finland.

In four games in Mestis Setzinger's stats were 1+2=3, +2, 14 min.

I would love to have Setzinger in JYP. He is that kind of player our coach likes; Young with lots of potential. We have many injuries right now and if the prize is reasonable then I'm for it.

mlä
12-29-2003, 10:51 PM
I would not be so sure about that thing.
It´s no special value that you are foreigner or not. I think other Mestis-teams can offer same quality lower price.

Finnadien
12-30-2003, 01:00 AM
Shayne Toporowski heads now to Ilves, Tampere for a 6-game tryout.

Interesting to see if he can finally get his game on with new guys.

Padawan
01-16-2004, 04:30 AM
PC Drouin has been transferred from JYP, Jyvaskyla to Jokerit, Helsinki.

gopher
01-16-2004, 05:13 AM
Oliver Setzinger's tryout with KalPa Kuopio runned out last week. KalPa wants to extend contract, but Oliver is not very interested about that. He is now negoatiating with JYP Jyväskylä and TPS Turku (both SM-liiga teams). There is also possibility that he will move to some team outside Finland.

In four games in Mestis Setzinger's stats were 1+2=3, +2, 14 min.

hi, are you able to give us any update on setzingers status please?
he has´nt played for kalpa yesterday, so is he still negoatiating with some sm-liiga teams or has he yet agreed to the contract-offer from kalpa?

(stats were now 4+4=8 in seven games)

jj_fin
01-27-2004, 06:09 PM
PC Drouin has been transferred from JYP, Jyvaskyla to Jokerit, Helsinki.

Oliver Setzinger has been transferred from KalPa Kuopio (Mestis) to HPK Hämeenlinna.

Anders Burström has been transferred from HPK Hämeenlinna to Jokerit Helsinki.

Vladimir Machulda has been transferred from SaiPa Lappeenranta to Kärpät Oulu.

Padawan
01-27-2004, 07:39 PM
Vladimir Machulda has been transferred from SaiPa Lappeenranta to Kärpät Oulu.
Has he really? I didn't found any information about this. Where did you hear this?

Padawan
01-28-2004, 10:06 AM
Ok, the news about Machulda to Kärpät, Oulu has just been released. It's true but it took a while to Kärpät to announce that Machulda's contract has been bought out.

Padawan
01-31-2004, 10:27 PM
Lubomir Hurtaj from HC Plzen to HIFK, Helsinki has been confirmed.

Korkki
01-31-2004, 11:19 PM
I think that this hasn't been here yet:
- Pelicans transferred Radek Phillipp and Mike Lephart to Blues.