Defensemen

Waldo
10-25-2003, 08:31 AM
I find a few things about the Coyotes defense that are interesting. Tanabe, who I was expecting to pick up points, only has 1 pt. However, he seems to be an excellent addition. His blazing speed adds a new dimension that this team hasn't seen before. He also has a respectable plus minus and logs the most ice time of any of our defensemen. Calle Hulse also seems to be a good addition being +5 with 25 PIM, tops on the team in both categories. Meanwhile, although -3, Paul Mara is among the team leaders in pts with 5. All 3 of these players have contributed more than expected.

10-25-2003, 09:43 AM
Oddly enough, you could consider our Achilles Heel our goaltending in recent games. We've given up 14 goals in the past 3 games if I remember right. I'd give the credit to our PK as being the real problem though.

I think the team might have been right about the defense being ready to step up and play this year. I've really liked what we saw from our blueline, especially considering we took Teppo, Markov, and Simpson out of it.

vsmith
10-25-2003, 10:18 AM
We've given up 14 goals in the past 3 games if I remember right.

15 i suppose: 1-5 Tampa and 4-5 both Philly and Toronto...

Waldo
10-25-2003, 10:35 AM
Oddly enough, you could consider our Achilles Heel our goaltending in recent games. We've given up 14 goals in the past 3 games if I remember right. I'd give the credit to our PK as being the real problem though.

I think the team might have been right about the defense being ready to step up and play this year. I've really liked what we saw from our blueline, especially considering we took Teppo, Markov, and Simpson out of it.

Yes. It's odd that our top goaltender was "off" the past few games. If only Burke stopped 1 of those goals each game .............. Maybe when the team plays that loose any goaltender would look bad but we have come to expect Burke to pull these games out. He has seemed fairly ordinary the past few games. We'll allow him a couple of those. As a whole, this team plays better on the road. Maybe it's just the PK. The Yotes rank 20th in the NHL. Anyhow, Sillinger should be a big part of that solution. The PP is 8th overall and that's a big surprise. I'll keep saying this team is not short of goalscoring. All in all, I like what we've been seeing. We were expecting a period of adjustment. I just don't want to sink below .500 because it's really hard to make that up. The sharks will make good canon fodder.

ulf
10-25-2003, 11:01 AM
our best defensive fwds should be employed on the pk.

my list would be johnson[awesome overall game],sillinger[reputation]branco[speed when motivated]langkow,doan wilson and gratton.

either gratton or sillinger must be on the ice for the face-offs.
the d is the problem as tanabe is great until the zone has been established then he becomes a def liability.

ference suchy hulse and ossi need time to work together and listening to burke when he tells them something.

6 games in and i see alot more positives then i thought i would.kudo's to the staff so far.

Waldo
10-25-2003, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=ulf].
the d is the problem as tanabe is great until the zone has been established then he becomes a def liability.QUOTE]

Overall, though I think Tanabe has been a huge surprise. I really like what we've seen so far. Many were expecting worse. It's amazing how much difference his speed brings. Obviously BF must think highly of him because he gets big icetime. I was expecting more points from him, especially since the Coyotes PP is ranked 8th overall. Maybe they'll start coming. But like GoCoyotes has stated, overall the young defense has stepped up. Let's see where theCoyotes are after 10 games.

Dancing Chicken
10-25-2003, 11:33 AM
Its 8th over all but.. GET DOAN OFF THE POINT..

Hes a power forward we have Tanebe and Mara for the Points..

10-25-2003, 12:07 PM
I definitely don't agree with Doan on the point, but I think they are trying to split Tanabe & Mara on the powerplay to give 2 good PP QB's. Otherwise, what are you doing on the 2nd PP unit, Suchy & Vaananen? Plus it gets Doan out there for a lot of PP minutes.

I think I'd like to see lines similar to the even strength lines on the PP.

Homer Line with Tanabe & Vaananen
Doan-Hrdina-Gratton-Mara-Suchy?

Waldo
10-25-2003, 01:03 PM
I'd like to see the defensive pairings stay together for the PP - Tanabe R with Ossi L , and Mara L with Ference R . But I also do not like Doan on the point. He can be more useful crashing the net. I don't recall him being that effective at the point ????? anyways.

Kimahri
10-25-2003, 03:23 PM
Doan has actually looked pretty good on the point this year. Last year i would definitely agree that Doan shouldn't be used on the point, but this year he looks better. He is also one of the few guys that will actually carry the puck into the zone, instead of just getting to the blue line and dumping it in, with success. Maybe the captaincy has helped him raise his game as i have been very impressed at how he is playing this year.

10-25-2003, 03:34 PM
I've been happy with Doan's play as well, but I think he could be better utilized. At times, he's been double shifted on the powerplay because he's seen the puck so little. I'd prefer to see him in the thick of the action, and to see the other pairings at the blueline. The real reason he's back there is just because he can lower the boom on a shot and hit it hard to the net. The powerplays that he is able to do that are doing well, but I don't think he should be used in that way every PP.

Koltsov71
10-25-2003, 07:28 PM
As a Hurricanes fan, I'm really happy to hear that Tanabe has exceeded the expectations you have for him.

The deal seems to be working out for both teams so far. Markov has been playing extremely well, and got his first goal of the season tonight against the Flyers.

_Del_
10-26-2003, 11:41 AM
I'm pleasantly surprised by Tanabe's play. He seems to be much more effective against West.Conf opponents than Eastern, I've noticed.

RE: Doan -- as many (ok, all) of you know, I'm not a huge Doan fan. He has acceptable speed, but no acceleration, and poor lateral movement. He has a huge shot, but can't find the net with it (I still maitain that he'd lead the NHL in "Shots Not On Goal" were such a stat kept). He has little stick handling ability -- THOUGH, I have seen two successful dekes in the last two games and his goal last night was a beauty. He also can't recieve a pass to save his life. He also doesn't use his size/show intensity as much as he should. Though this has gotten better this season. Finally, he's offside way to often for my taste..
As far as on the point, I don't like it... he can't controll the puck, and doesnt' have the skating to get back after the puck skips out of the zone. And his shot isn't as effective if he can't get it on net. Put him in front of the crease and make him use his size.
At anyrate, he's playing the best hockey so far that I've seen him play. Kudos to him in that regard. More physical/consistant. That's all I want from him.. That and people to stop talking about him like he's the franchise or a top line player...

XX
10-26-2003, 11:57 AM
I think Mara's play has been incredible. He had the sense to jump in the play and tip in that loose puck, we need everyone to do that. I think his development defensively has slowed, but hes showing his true colors offensively like the end of last season.

Tanabe has been all that and a bag of chips, Hes a faster Teppo, although teppo never fails to clear the zone or miss a loose puck. Its a learning experience.

Bierks stellar play and the others underachievements has really shook up the goaltending food chain. I think its the first time in a long time that bobby has to question starting Burke based on his play and not some injury concern.

exciting team, competitive. Scoring plenty of goals and they face adversity with courage. This isnt the "let them score 3 and give up" type of team anymore.

_Del_
10-26-2003, 12:03 PM
I think Mara's play has been incredible.

Bierks stellar play and the others underachievements has really shook up the goaltending food chain. I think its the first time in a long time that bobby has to question starting Burke based on his play and not some injury concern.

Mara and Tanabe have both been better than expected, imo.

If nothing else, I think Bierk has put to rest the backup issue, in my mind. Even if I'm not sold on Bierk completely, I'm certainly convinced that Boucher is NOT the answer.

hbk
10-26-2003, 12:24 PM
Mara looked pretty stupid on one goal last night and he hasn't established himself enough as a responsible defender. He's improved but he's certainly not the number one shutdown guy that we need him to be. Offensively he's exceeding everyone's expectations. The last three games have been a huge revelation. Can he hit 50 points? Sure looks like it.

_Del_
10-26-2003, 12:59 PM
Mara looked pretty stupid on one goal last night and he hasn't established himself enough as a responsible defender. He's improved but he's certainly not the number one shutdown guy that we need him to be. Offensively he's exceeding everyone's expectations. The last three games have been a huge revelation. Can he hit 50 points? Sure looks like it.

They're all too damn young, I expect them to look stupid often this season. The fact they haven't looked even more stupid is a sigh of relief for me...

Vagrant
10-26-2003, 04:34 PM
It's really cool to hear Tanabe is working out for you guys. I have a few questions though.

1. Has Tanabe gotten over his fear of taking a hit? When he played for Carolina he would often shy away from any physical contact even if it came at the expense of giving the opposing team a breakout.

2. Has he made any bonehead plays in his own end?

3. Has he thrown a single check all year?

These questions aren't intended to be in jest, i'm just asking because it would be interesting to see if all his problems were a product of his environment and his coaching. Any insight would be helpful.

Also, Markov is doing great. I think this trade is going to work out well for both of us. How is Knyazev doing?

XX
10-26-2003, 04:37 PM
It's really cool to hear Tanabe is working out for you guys. I have a few questions though.

1. Has Tanabe gotten over his fear of taking a hit? When he played for Carolina he would often shy away from any physical contact even if it came at the expense of giving the opposing team a breakout.

2. Has he made any bonehead plays in his own end?

3. Has he thrown a single check all year?

These questions aren't intended to be in jest, i'm just asking because it would be interesting to see if all his problems were a product of his environment and his coaching. Any insight would be helpful.

1. hes not afraid in the least bit, I think he uses his speed to get better positioning, which might mean avoiding a hit.

2. A few, like missing a clearing attempt. But he hasnt been the worst by far, and Id say Im confident with him in our own end.

3. Yes

Yotes are a young growing team, I guess Tanabe just flourishes under those circumstances instead of Carolina.

_Del_
10-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Yotes are a young growing team, I guess Tanabe just flourishes under those circumstances instead of Carolina.

I think it's more to do with the Conferences, than the environment, but when the coach plays you big minutes, that can't hurt your confidence.

1. I haven't really noticed him shying away, but haven't been looking really, either.

2. A few, but not as many as I'd expected.

3. A couple, and while they weren't Mike Peca, open-ice hits, they got the job done. I was pleasently surprised here, too....