Canucks after Bryan Berard?

Peter Griffin
10-26-2003, 04:58 AM
http://spectorshockey.net/

This one comes right out of left field, mind you the reporter is Al Strachan, not really known for his insider info on the Canucks. In any case, this makes no sense to me. Like Spector says, the Canucks already have one of the most potent offensives in the league, adding a one-dimeionsional Berard doesn't add too much to the club that they don't already have. On top of that, the Canucks would almost certainly have to fork over at least $1.5 mil to Berard, probably $1.8 mil, the ammount that the Bruins refused to give him. In any case, if this happened, I would have to think that at least one blueliner would be on the move. Seeing as Berard is a puckrushing d-man who can QB a powerplay, I would think that this would mean Sopel would be dealt. This said, this is a pretty rediculous rumour...

B-rock
10-26-2003, 07:13 AM
Won't happen. Berard is as one-dimensional as it gets. Think Sopel without the hair, the shot, and one eye.

Strachan is again proving himself to be a complete moron. Al probably heard that Burke was on the Eastcoast and he either assumed he was talking to Berard, or just made up the rumour as is his trademark. Or maybe he did it just to piss Burke off. Burke obviously doesn't care for Strachan too much and maybe Al is still pissed at Burke for making him look like a jack ass on HNIC a while ago.

Acquiring Berard would make no sense. He's pretty one dimensional as a d-man and he's lost a lot of the offence that made him dangerous since his eye injury.

It's obvious "Strach" doesn't watch too many Canuck games. If he did he would realize (or maybe not cuz he doesn't seem to know too much) that the Canucks already have a fairly solid 2-way d-core which would probably be weakened by adding Berard.

I think that if Burke is looking for a d-man, he's looking for a tough SOB that can lay some beats in front of the net, and maybe throw down when needed.

Thalia
10-26-2003, 07:31 AM
Won't happen. Berard is as one-dimensional as it gets. Think Sopel without the hair, the shot, and one eye.:joker: True.

LaVal
10-26-2003, 07:32 AM
this is one of the most pathetic rumors i've heard in a while. can't Strachan make up something that makes sense?

Burke's Evil Spirit
10-26-2003, 08:14 AM
this is one of the most pathetic rumors i've heard in a while. can't Strachan make up something that makes sense?

Ahem...

Strachan claims this move would make sense for the Canucks as it would add even more depth to their already strong blueline corps.

:lol:

Yep, we need to spend $2.008 million to improve "depth"

Mr. Canucklehead
10-26-2003, 09:12 AM
This was also verified by The Province today; they said that the Canucks had been in "extensive talks with Tom Laidlaw, the agent for Bryan Berard", and that the Flames had reportedly offered him a 3-year deal that could push them past the Canucks.

~Canucklehead~

Reign Nateo
10-26-2003, 09:18 AM
The only way I can see this happening is if Sopel is shipped out of town immediately after Berard is signed. Then I might actually support this move.

Berard has a lot of untapped talent and if his eye continues to heal he could prove why he was picked ahead of Wade Redden in the end. Most likely not.

Better player than Sopel in my opinion. A lot more pricy, but better. He could be a great partenar for Ohlund.

Impossibles
10-26-2003, 10:06 AM
The only way I can see this happening is if Sopel is shipped out of town immediately...

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

:joker:

galiano
10-26-2003, 10:07 AM
This does sound a bit far fetched unless you think that Burke might want to package Sopel and say Umberger for a proven top six forward. Those two could bring a substantial return from Pittsburgh or Columbus given that Umberger is a local boy. Then signing Berard does make some sense.

SedinFan*
10-26-2003, 10:13 AM
I do agree with you on that part. Sopel wont be traded. Bryan Allen is the odd man out.

Rageinthecage
10-26-2003, 10:18 AM
This was also verified by The Province today; they said that the Canucks had been in "extensive talks with Tom Laidlaw, the agent for Bryan Berard", and that the Flames had reportedly offered him a 3-year deal that could push them past the Canucks.

~Canucklehead~

Hope the Flames get Berard, and then we can make Sutter an offer for Denis Gauthier. Apparently he is on the market right now as well.

Reign Nateo
10-26-2003, 10:22 AM
Here's a scenario:

Vancouver signs Bryan Berard.

Then trades Brent Sopel and RJ Umberger to Pittsburgh for Martin Straka and Kris Beech.

Naslund Morrison Bertuzzi
D. Sedin H. Sedin King
Arvedson/Straka/Linden
Cooke/Chubarov/May

Ohlund Berard
Malik/Salo Jovanovski
Allen/Salo/Slegr

Now we just flip Cloutier to Anaheim for Giguere and we're set!

(just joking around)

tantalum
10-26-2003, 10:33 AM
Up front let me say I don't think the rumour makes much sense. A trade would be the result (Sopel) and right now the team is playing very well so I don't see that happening, unless there is a too good to be true offer for Burke somewhere. But before anyone completely rags on Berard he would complement the canucks nicely. His defensive play has been much improved during his time with the Rangers and Bruins mostly due to an increase in physical play. His offence is still very good. He is better than Sopel in all respects IMO.

orcatown
10-26-2003, 10:39 AM
May well be an agent trying to drum interest in their client and/or putting some pressure on a club that shows interest. (see Calgary) Would make sense for Calgary but I'm not sure he improves what we have. Unless Crawford is happy wtih neither Slegr or Allen.

nucks2001
10-26-2003, 10:45 AM
The Bruins have the right to match on any offer less than 2.1 million roughly. So to avoid that you'd have to give Berard a pretty hefty contract, hence why he is still unsigned. Could probably work out some sort of sign in trade but the way Harry Sinden works, I doubt that.

theo6060
10-26-2003, 10:46 AM
Here's the story from the Toronto Sun. If Berard signs with the Canucks then who goes?

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2003/10/26/237326.html

FORMER LEAF BERARD SET TO JOIN CANUCKS

Despite the budget crackdown that is affecting most National Hockey League teams, there are strong indications that a couple of players will be on the move this week.

Former Leaf Bryan Berard, who was released by the Boston Bruins when they walked away from an arbitration award last summer, is poised to sign with a western team. At the moment, the front-runners are the Vancouver Canucks.

The deal is not yet firm, but it has advanced far enough that it is understood that Berard will make more than $2.008 million US.

As a result, the Bruins will have no right to match. Any salary over 80% of the arbitrated award of $2.51 million precludes the Bruins making a claim.

The move would make sense for the Canucks. In the tough Western Conference, a team needs a strong core of offensive defencemen.

And for that matter, much of the success of this years' Stanley Cup winners, the New Jersey Devils, had to do with the fact that they had three offensive defencemen.

The Canucks view themselves as genuine Stanley Cup contenders, so shoring up in that department is a good decision, especially since it doesn't cost any players.

LaVal
10-26-2003, 10:56 AM
I do agree with you on that part. Sopel wont be traded. Bryan Allen is the odd man out.

that would leave us with

Jovanovski
Ohlund
Salo
Sopel
Slegr
Berard

as offensive, or 2-way defensemen with high offense. Malik would be our lone stay-at-home blueliner... and even he jumps up often.

nucks2001
10-26-2003, 11:16 AM
that would leave us with

Jovanovski
Ohlund
Salo
Sopel
Slegr
Berard

as offensive, or 2-way defensemen with high offense. Malik would be our lone stay-at-home blueliner... and even he jumps up often.

Allen would get us a better return compared to Sopel

Reign Nateo
10-26-2003, 11:35 AM
Allen would get us a better return compared to Sopel

I think thats a stretch.

Sopel put up almost 40 poits last year and makes peanuts.

Allen was drafted very high in 97 and has yet to really make his mark, I think most teams would pay more for Sopel who makes roughly half of what Allen does.

Yammer
10-26-2003, 11:42 AM
Thoughts (or, if you are jrhockey1, "thotz")

a) Could Strachan have reported a real scoop? Mark this day on your calendar!

b) Berard vs. Sopel. Isn't Berard a left shot? Don't the Canucks (as well as everyone) covet right shots for power play purposes?

c) If his offensive game gets back on track, Berard could eventually replace Jovanovski. Jovo could be dealt for a star-caliber forward to replace Naslund, who is set to retire in a couple of seasons, and has been so public about it that he's made himself untradeable.

d) Berard vs. Allen. I don't see Allen being threatened by the signing. They bring different skill sets to the game.

e) Effect on Kiril Koltsov. How many young, fast offensivemen with defensive liabilities do you need in one organization?

incawg
10-26-2003, 11:50 AM

a) Could Strachan have reported a real scoop? Mark this day on your calendar!

b) Berard vs. Sopel. Isn't Berard a left shot? Don't the Canucks (as well as everyone) covet right shots for power play purposes?

c) If his offensive game gets back on track, Berard could eventually replace Jovanovski. Jovo could be dealt for a star-caliber forward to replace Naslund, who is set to retire in a couple of seasons, and has been so public about it that he's made himself untradeable.

d) Berard vs. Allen. I don't see Allen being threatened by the signing. They bring different skill sets to the game.

e) Effect on Kiril Koltsov. How many young, fast offensivemen with defensive liabilities do you need in one organization?

If the canucks were going to go out and spend this sort of money on a defender, they'd be much better off going after a stay-at-home guy like yuskie. Even if we were to trade sopel, I don't think that we would need another offensive defenseman (assuming that this comes with defensive liabilities). After all, the idea behind picking up Slegr was that he could potentially replace some of sopel's offense.

MVP
10-26-2003, 12:06 PM
Let me start off by saying i might be reading too much into this at this moment.

My personally feeling is that this could be the fallout of the Thursday meeting between Burke and McCaw, there have been absolutely no news on that meeting, and it has been 3 full days passed that meeting. Maybe they just decided to announce the deal tomorrow Monday which is Burke's favorite date, and is not a gameday.

However, what if McCaw rejected the Bertuzzi deal and the excuse is that McCaw does not want to commit to a long term deal especailly with the strong possibility of changing owner and the new CBA is coming up and want to leave that Bertuzzi's decision to the potential new owner.

And we all know that Burke has a big ego, and has apparently really want this Bertuzzi contract to happen, and the media will criticize his power if he cannot get this Bertuzzi deal done.

Well since Burke has suggested that the team is very committed to winning short term, i will suggested that has been supported by McCaw as well, and indicated by the signing of Hedberg, Cloutier and Avredsson to a one deal, this is the year they really want to do something. And McCaw will be willing to dish off the cash and make this team look like a true winner to make it looks attractive to the buyer. The problem as mentioned before is the fact that McCaw has to make this team look like a true contentor this year while keeping it as sustainable salary management for next year.

So what is the solution to the problem? As all of you clever posters have already guessed, the solution will be to get as many quality players as possible with a one year deal. And we can go back to the point of Bryan Berard, here the guy that still carry the reputation of the past, i mean if any of you actually watch the way he played last season, he was arguably the best dman that Boston had, and was very solid on both ends of the ice. Definately much more solid than Sopel is this season. When it is all said and done Sopel might be a better player than Berard, but since Burke and McCaw are looking at this team in a very short term basis right now, don't be surprise to see the team increasing the salary of this season and improve the d-core with Berard, and subsequently dealt Sopel, plus prospects or draft pick for some more firepower.

incawg
10-26-2003, 12:18 PM
Let me start off by saying i might be reading too much into this at this moment.

yep, you're reading too much into it :P

Peter
10-26-2003, 12:36 PM
"No, no, no. You have it all wrong. The team that is intereested is the Vancouver Canucks. You see, it will go down like this. The Canucks and Berard agree to a one year deal worth just over 1 million dollars. Boston waives their right to match in exchange for Brent Sopel. In addition Boston sends a 5th round pick to Vancouver."

I made this statement on Oct. 13 in the Trade Rumor section. I still say it has some merrit. I could be wrong but just wanted to remind the faithful here that I did say Berard could be coming to Vancouver.

incawg
10-26-2003, 12:39 PM
"No, no, no. You have it all wrong. The team that is intereested is the Vancouver Canucks. You see, it will go down like this. The Canucks and Berard agree to a one year deal worth just over 1 million dollars. Boston waives their right to match in exchange for Brent Sopel. In addition Boston sends a 5th round pick to Vancouver."

I made this statement on Oct. 13 in the Trade Rumor section. I still say it has some merrit. I could be wrong but just wanted to remind the faithful here that I did say Berard could be coming to Vancouver.

errr...we get berard for one year in exchange for sopel? if we're going to trade sopel we can do a hell of a lot better than that.

theo6060
10-26-2003, 12:47 PM
I think I heard on TSN that Burke had tried trading Sopel this summer. Wouldn't be a bad idea, the guy's defense is less than par. I would have traded him, as good as he is on the power play, the Canucks really need another defensive stay at home guy IMO.

KOMO_ROCKS
10-26-2003, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE=MVP]

And we all know that Burke has a big ego, and has apparently really want this Bertuzzi contract to happen, and the media will criticize his power if he cannot get this Bertuzzi deal done.

cant argue with your here......this is a critical signing for the Canucks as Burke and Naslund will probably not remain too much longer with the team if Bertuzzi does not sign by the summer......there is definately a lot of fan support to get Bert signed, and not having him signed will probably not sit well with most fans of this team

SedinFan*
10-26-2003, 01:18 PM
Sign Yushkevich.....

Fedz
10-26-2003, 02:03 PM
Won't Happen...hes being paid more in Russia than he would be paid by the canucks!

SedinFan*
10-26-2003, 02:16 PM
How much?

SedinFan*
10-26-2003, 03:00 PM
Report: Canucks interested in Berard

10/26/2003

The Vancouver Canucks are reportedly among the list of teams interested in defenceman Bryan Berard.

The Vancouver Province reported Sunday that the team has had extensive discussions with Tom Laidlaw, Berard's agent, in the hope of signing the former Boston Bruin, now an unrestricted free agent defenceman.

Berard took the Bruins to arbitration in August after a season in which he averaged over 21 minutes per game with 10 goals and 28 assists. He was given a $2.51 million US award in arbitration, which the Bruins walked away from.

Any team making Berard an offer must make it at least 80 per cent of the arbitrated figure ($2,008,000 US) or the Bruins would have the right to match.

Other teams that have expressed interest in Berard include the Detroit Red Wings and St. Louis Blues.

Berard was the first-overall choice in the 1995 entry draft by Ottawa. He was traded to the Islanders in a switch for Wade Redden and was later to Toronto for goaltender Felix Potvin.

He suffered a badly injured eye on March 11, 2000 on an errant high stick from forward Marian Hossa and missed the entire 2000-01 season before it was determined his vision was adequate that he might return.

tsn.ca

SopelFan*
10-26-2003, 03:16 PM
"Spector's Note: Anything's possible, but there's a couple of points about this that makes me question this one. First, the Bruins yanked a one-year, $1.8 million offer from Berard, claiming they couldn't afford to re-sign him. If that's the case, why would they match an offer from another club worth more than that, let alone the 80% of his $2.5 million arbitration award? And second, the Canucks are presently trying to re-sign Todd Bertuzzi to a contract extension, so I'd imagine Brian Burke's attention is taken up with this right now. And finally, with the Canucks already boosting a blueline with notable offensive blueliners like Jovanovski and Ohlund and the improving Sami Salo, where would Berard fit in?"

LaVal
10-26-2003, 03:18 PM

Berard replacing Jovanovski?

theo6060
10-26-2003, 04:07 PM
Berard replacing Jovanovski?Seems like someone might be riding that 1st overall draft status.

Unthinkable
10-26-2003, 04:48 PM
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2003/10/26/237326.html

FORMER LEAF BERARD SET TO JOIN CANUCKS
And for that matter, much of the success of this years' Stanley Cup winners, the New Jersey Devils, had to do with the fact that they had three offensive defencemen.

I was a big supporter of Oleg Tverdovsky in the regular season last year despite his lack of offense and inability to inject any life into the Devils PP whatsoever (not that anyone really could mind you), but Strachan is really stretching things quite a bit if he thinks Tverdovsky's post-season play had a lot to do with NJ winning the Cup. He chipped in with 3 assists in 15 games and was tied with Sergei Brylin for the teams worst +/- rating of -4 and was less of a factor in each series then Albelin, Daneyko, and Smehlik were if that says anything. That said, Niedermayer and Rafalski both were great in the postseason and Scott Niedermayer's exceptional level of play pushed the team into the win column time and time again, but that still only adds up to having two offensive minded defensemen and not three making key contributions night after night.

PhillyNucksFan
10-26-2003, 04:57 PM
Canucks without Bertuzzi??

I cant imagine that.......................

that be Disasterous...........

How would they justify the ticket increase, and extra revenue made if they dont even spend it to keep the core...

cyrisweb
10-26-2003, 04:57 PM

I don't see Allen being threatened at all if Berard is signed.
But considering the Canucks current depth with offensive dmen. Koltsov, Mojzis(sp) depending on what Burke thinks of those two we could trade Sopel, sign Berard for 1 year, 1/8 of which is already over(less money we have too pay). Then bring in a rookie next season.

Unthinkable
10-26-2003, 05:01 PM
From all the Bruins games I watched last season, I don't think the Canucks would really benefit from having Berard on the blue line. He still gets lined up for big hits on his blind side from time to time and isn't all that solid in his own end.

Thalia
10-26-2003, 05:46 PM
Send him to St. Loo; I hear they're in desperate need of some D- Men. ;P

KOMO_ROCKS
10-26-2003, 11:13 PM
I can only imagine Sopel on the way out, if Berard is joining the Canucks d

MVP
10-26-2003, 11:13 PM

Hell Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

cyrisweb
10-26-2003, 11:16 PM

At this point in time I wouldn't mind at all.

Red
10-26-2003, 11:35 PM

Please God...

KOMO_ROCKS
10-26-2003, 11:36 PM
Hell Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

thats what I expected :yo:

Waveburner
10-27-2003, 12:13 AM
Berard should not be considered at all...2 million for a 5th/6th d-man...no thanks! He is not the same player pre-eye-injury.

Ironchef Chris Wok*
10-27-2003, 01:45 AM
Btw... here's a thought.

What goaltender could we get w/ a package of Sopel, Umberger, and Cloutier?

rikki05
10-27-2003, 07:54 AM
I heard that the Canuck's have been talkin to his agent about a one year deal worth $2.008 mil. or soemthing like that. IMO opinion if its a one year deal then go for it! Plus the Blackhawks are in desperate need of a defenceman....maybe sopel or allen???? :dunno: The only thing is we won't have much room to bring in a top six forward if we sign berard. And the Blackhawks won't be gettin rid of any or their youth (calder, ruutu, bell, radulov...etc.) so who or what could we get from them realistically???

Reign Nateo
10-27-2003, 08:02 AM
Berard should not be considered at all...2 million for a 5th/6th d-man...no thanks! He is not the same player pre-eye-injury.

To be fair I wouldn't call him a 5/6th d-man. He averaged 21 minutes score 38 points, and was only -4 when realistically that's not too bad. I would say he is an improvment on Sopel.

nuksforlife
10-27-2003, 08:56 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/ another site reporting this rumour

xtra
10-27-2003, 09:10 AM
Btw... here's a thought.

What goaltender could we get w/ a package of Sopel, Umberger, and Cloutier?

Umberger + Sopel + Cloutier + 2nd 2005 to washington for Kolzig

though we add about 3 million dollars we would then be considered a cup fav.

plus i think that Ollie wouldn't mind coming closer to Vancouver Island (where his parents live i belive)

Then if we wanted to risk it we could deal Hedberg and something to Colorado for Abbeshier and Tanguay

NFITO
10-27-2003, 09:12 AM
I'm in the camp that's saying it makes no sense to sign Berard.

The only thing I can see is if the Canucks have a deal in place to move Sopel (he's the only one that will move in such a situation - you don't sign Berard to be a #6/7 dman, where Allen and Slegr are perfect for that role, considering their salary (Slegr) and age (Allen)... Malik and Salo are playing too well to move)

but it doesn't make much sense to flip Sopel for Berard either... Sopel makes a third of what it would cost to get Berard, and he already has chemistry with Ohlund - at least in Crow's eyes, which is all that matters... he's also 1 of only 2 right hand shots left on our blueline, another area where Crow seems to care about.

I like the 7-man unit we have now... I see no reason to change that. Unless we're getting a sure-fire 2nd line winger for Sopel, which I don't see happening, and King has been doing a good job there.

NFITO
10-27-2003, 09:18 AM
Umberger + Sopel + Cloutier + 2nd 2005 to washington for Kolzig

though we add about 3 million dollars we would then be considered a cup fav.

plus i think that Ollie wouldn't mind coming closer to Vancouver Island (where his parents live i belive)

Then if we wanted to risk it we could deal Hedberg and something to Colorado for Abbeshier and Tanguay

Kolzig makes $6mill a year... no way are we going to add that kind of a salary to our payroll... look what problems Calgary is having with Turek's contract?? even though Kolzig is a better goalie, he's making $2mill more, and he's had his share of slumps as well (like right now)... that's too huge a risk IMO.

also, why would the Avs deal Aesbisher and Tanguay for Hedberg (a UFA after this year)?? Hedberg's value is likely less than Aebisher's alone, forget Tanguay, who's probably worth three or four times more!

Hedberg really has no value right now... and there are several teams that have an extra goalie they'd deal for less... why deal Aebisher and Tanguay for Hedberg, when you could have Burke for less??

I don't see us changing our tandem at all this season... Cloutier's challenge is the playoffs, and he will be here to see if he can take that step in the playoffs... next season a lot can change, but right now, we have Clout's for the playoffs, and a very capable backup in Hedberg if Clout's can't carry the playoff load.

monster_bertuzzi
10-27-2003, 10:17 AM
Take it for what it's worth...McKeechie just had someone on his show that said there is *zero* truth to the rumour.

deathbear
10-27-2003, 02:09 PM
after stating my love for bure in the other thread, which wasnt exacting a popular move, i will now say that byran berard is my second favourite hockey player.

in his first year, i got his ny islanders jersey for christmas. its really nice. i used to be a fan of the islanders, until i just gave up on them. mostly because of the way they traded their young talent. btw, how the hell does milburry keep his job???

what im trying to get at is, id love to see berard in a canuck jersey.

StilesBC
10-27-2003, 02:09 PM
Add me to the camp not supporting this move. Unless we can flip Sopel and Umberger for an impact player such as Daze, Doan or Carter there is no reason to add Berard. I think that Sopel is doing a fine job and I don't see any reason to give up on a 26 year old d-man. Just because a few uneducated fans can only see the mistakes he makes should not make him trade bait. Give him another 3 years and he will be a top defenseman in this league. I'm willing to ride out a few bad plays to wait for that. Remember Jovo 4 years ago? Giveaways galore, and now he is god. Sopel doesn't have the same potential, but I want him on my team. He's a +2 so far this year and that was his only downfall last year. Let's go with the team we have to the trade deadline and make a deal then if we need to replace King with someone with more experience... :yo:

kmad
10-31-2003, 11:07 AM
well, it's official, he's not with us

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/blackhawks/2003-10-31-berard_x.htm

Thalia
10-31-2003, 11:25 AM
well, it's official, he's not with us

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/blackhawks/2003-10-31-berard_x.htm
Good.