An 04' preview

Greg
10-26-2003, 09:20 AM
NHL.com draft preview (http://nhl.com/futures/2004draft/notable_names102503.html)

http://nhl.speedera.net/photos/2004draft/ovechkin_pose.jpg
Don't think we'll be getting him, but there are some other interesting choices.

hbk
10-26-2003, 12:28 PM
NHL.com draft preview (http://nhl.com/futures/2004draft/notable_names102503.html)

http://nhl.speedera.net/photos/2004draft/ovechkin_pose.jpg
Don't think we'll be getting him, but there are some other interesting choices.

I'm getting into the draft earlier than normal this year. One of those names should be available at our selection. What does everyone think about drafting another goalie?

I know it's kind of like going out on a date when you know there is absolutely no chance of some "action" but I imagine that this might be the position we find ourselves in. Trade up or down would be my first reaction because we look to be set in goal for awhile.

Greg
10-26-2003, 03:25 PM
I'm all for drafting another goalie, but not in the first round. It's just so risky even if you have a top pick, feel 100% certain about the kid, and will give him time to develop. If Dubnyk or Marek Schwarz are rated where we are picking, we can trade down and get the player we want. There might be an idea there is an organizational need for a stud defenseman. We have Callahan, Jones, Forster, and the rest still amateurs. But if we keep our current young blueline (and have Spiller, Kynazev, Schutte, etc..) is it really a priority? Easier said than done, but I'm hoping we can draft a first rounder with an offensive skill set. Somebody that can carry the puck, move it, and create offense. That's not too much to ask. :D

PhoPhan
10-26-2003, 03:28 PM
If the draft were held today, I would try very hard to trade up for Olesz.

In my opinion, he is almost as good as Ovechkin, but doesn't have nearly the hype surrounding him, which makes a trade easier. However, if he is too expensive Barker or McGrath would be my next choice.

Gwyddbwyll
10-28-2003, 10:31 AM
I'd be against drafting a goalie in the first simply because they take so long to mature.. the odds are against the guy being ready within 4 years to be a starter on a top 10 team. We have a guy in Leneveu who would go in the first round if it was re-done now. I just feel more often than not, first round goalies should have gone later than where they were picked.. when the reverse is true of skaters. The Coyotes are building towards a point 3-4 years in the future where they aim to be a contender.. I'd like maybe a skilled rookie forward to emerge then.. a Gomez or Kapanen.

What Im concerned about is this year is looking like Year of the Russians and how good is our Russian scouting? Ovechkin apart there's Malkin, Schitikov, Lemtyugov, Khonutiov, Alexandrov, Karetin, Lisin.. Draper's history with Russians isnt strong either. Although reportedly they really wanted Pushkarov, arguably the best-kept secret Russian in last year's draft.

The guy Im keeping tabs on right now is Mark Fistric.. I think he could have the makings of another Barrett Jackson or Dion Phaneuf and a definite possibility for where we pick.

hbk
10-28-2003, 01:39 PM
I'd be against drafting a goalie in the first simply because they take so long to mature.. the odds are against the guy being ready within 4 years to be a starter on a top 10 team. We have a guy in Leneveu who would go in the first round if it was re-done now. I just feel more often than not, first round goalies should have gone later than where they were picked.. when the reverse is true of skaters. The Coyotes are building towards a point 3-4 years in the future where they aim to be a contender.. I'd like maybe a skilled rookie forward to emerge then.. a Gomez or Kapanen.

What Im concerned about is this year is looking like Year of the Russians and how good is our Russian scouting? Ovechkin apart there's Malkin, Schitikov, Lemtyugov, Khonutiov, Alexandrov, Karetin, Lisin.. Draper's history with Russians isnt strong either. Although reportedly they really wanted Pushkarov, arguably the best-kept secret Russian in last year's draft.

The guy Im keeping tabs on right now is Mark Fistric.. I think he could have the makings of another Barrett Jackson or Dion Phaneuf and a definite possibility for where we pick.

I beleive most teams have a couple of European scouts who attend the big tournaments and a handful of games of specific players. Essentially if a prospect struggles at one of the big tournaments or plays poorly in the one or two games attended by one of our scouts we're pooched. Probably we could invest some more $$ in our scouting department. I'm generalizing here as well. I'm not aware exactly as to how our system is structured between Karpan and Draper.

Gwyddbwyll
10-29-2003, 10:37 AM
I beleive most teams have a couple of European scouts who attend the big tournaments and a handful of games of specific players. Essentially if a prospect struggles at one of the big tournaments or plays poorly in the one or two games attended by one of our scouts we're pooched. Probably we could invest some more $$ in our scouting department. I'm generalizing here as well. I'm not aware exactly as to how our system is structured between Karpan and Draper.

Looking at the 2003-4 training guide..

Dave Draper is VP, Scouting & Player Personnel
Vaughn Karpan is Director of Amateur Scouting

Then we have:

Pro Scouts - Tom Kurvers & Warren Rychel
Amateur Scouts - Shane Churla, Keith Gretzky, Evzen Slansky, Boris Yemeljanov

Consultant - Charles Henry

I guess you could say Karpan still has control of scouting draft-eligible prospects and Draper takes an interest in it as he seems to be more in charge of Pro Scouting.. (ie/ Rychel's recommendation of Hordichuk). Edit - Guide says Draper oversees both Pro and Amateur.

Anyway back to Russian scouting.. Boris Yemeljanov.. I wonder how long he's been around? I cant say Im particularly impressed with any of our European scouts..Vaananen and a (lucky) home run in Khabibulin is about the sum of it.. perhaps it could do with an overhaul. It doesnt look good compared to the scouting they do and success they have with picks from North America (with help from guys like Henry and Blair McWhatsit - they obviously have a lot of contacts). Although of course Yemeljanov could have been urging them to get Frolov, Grebeshkov and Pushkarov and Pestunov doesnt look too bad. I wonder what the going price is for LA's Russian scout?

Gwyddbwyll
10-29-2003, 10:40 AM
What happened to Connie Broden? I was sure we had another Euro scout too.

Hoot
10-29-2003, 11:28 AM
Yes, isn't Pelle Eklund still with the Coyotes?

The Russians have had three very good years now. They obviously have their junior training program on course.

Greg
10-29-2003, 12:50 PM
Gentlemen- Check out the Coyotes Hockey Ops page here (http://www.phoenixcoyotes.com/team/staff_operations.php?op=operations). They have listed:

Dave Draper- Vice President of Scouting and Director of Player Personnel
Eddie Mio- Director of Player Development
Charles Henry- Consultant to the Hockey Department
Igor Kuperman- Coordinator, Hockey Operations

Tom Kurvers- Professional Scout
Warren Rychel- Professional Scout

Vaughn Karpan- Director of Amateur Scouting
Shane Churla- Amateur Scout
Keith Gretzky- Amateur Scout
Blair Reid- Amateur Scout
Evzen Slansky- Amateur Scout
Steve Lyons- Amateur Scout
Ian McKenzie- Amateur Scout

Isn't that the same Ian McKenzie aka Deputy Dog aka Ex-Head of Scouting for the Calgary Flames? I'm 99% sure it is, smells like Cliff Fletcher working. And Steve Lyons was a scout with the Colorado Avalanche last I knew back in 2002. I presume Draper brought him in. He was a college and US high school scout focused on New England talent based out of Norwood, Mass. I'm sure he would have the same role with us.

Of the amateur scouts, not listed from last year are Connie Broden, Pelle Eklund, Paul Henry, and Boris Yemeljanov. Looks like an overhaul to me.

Speaking of the scouting community, I wonder if Bill Lesuk is safe after Mike Smith's firing. And for those who don't remember Lesuk, he spent 20+ years as the Jets/Coyotes scout and director of scouting.