3 Top Scoring

Waldo
10-27-2003, 09:10 AM
As of this mornings paper the Coyotes had 3 players in the Top Scoring list. One of them is defenseman Paul Mara who nobody would have predicted even in their wildest moments that he would become a force and tied for the lead in defensemen scoring. Then there is Nagy and Doan. All three are in front of K. TKatchuk. So it's early.... so sue me !!!! No one would have predicted any such thing at any time. Who is it that keeps saying that the Coyotes can't score goals? This is the most exciting hockey that we've seen by the Coyotes in decades. And there are about a half dozen players that have stepped up and exceeded everyone's expectations. I'm especially happy that Bierk had a superb game. The biggest impact has to be Tanabe and Mara who are giving them something the team lacked but really needed. Nagy and Doan have also impressed. We were all hoping for something special from these players but never really expected them to come thru. Anyways, there appears to be some chemistry and a lot of good play. Young and enthusiastic is exciting to watch.

winnipegjets4life
10-27-2003, 09:56 AM
i know its great that we're scoring.....but we're not winning either...ya its early to get negative but if we're looking at the scoring i gotta bring this up......i'd rather win 2-1 games and make theplayoffs than lose 5-4 games and miss out

Waldo
10-27-2003, 11:43 AM
i know its great that we're scoring.....but we're not winning either...ya its early to get negative but if we're looking at the scoring i gotta bring this up ..... I'd rather win 2-1 games and make theplayoffs than lose 5-4 games and miss out

Yeah!!! but they're playing with such gusto. I sense an identity change here. This is not some slow, plodding , eke out a win here and there kind of hockey team anymore. They have some players that are playing really well right now and producing offense. Nagy, Doan, Mara, Tanabe come to mind and it looks like this may be a young, fast, and rugged team that other teams need to take seriously.

PhoPhan
10-27-2003, 11:45 AM
My only complaint with this team is that they seem to play to the other teams level. This is good when you play a team like Vancouver, because it means they are really playing well, but they play badly against the bad teams. If this continues, an above .500 record is going to be tough.

Dancing Chicken
10-27-2003, 12:09 PM
Hell, all I want is entertaining hockey right now.. And i am getting it..

Its been great to watch or listen to the games lately, best in 5 years..

Morris Lukowich
10-27-2003, 12:29 PM
I would say that any time a team can get these kind of contributions from their defenseman they stand a better chance of winning period.

Not since Housley or Ellett has Winnipeg/Phoenix had its defense contribute to this degree. Keep up the good work boys.

On a negative note...
Although the offensive contribution has definately been there, there has been and continues to be a tendancy to not take responsibility for their outlet pass or dump out.

Tanabe miss-handling under pressure led to goal number 2 I believe.

Vaananen was barely under pressure and he tossed the puck at the side boards a couple of times.

If they can cure the turn-overs in their own zone I think we have a very competitive team.

Of course every pro scout is telling their players to pressure the Phoenix D because they are prone to coughing it up or making sloppy clearing attempts.

Oh well its early they look great at times they look terrible at times but then hey...so did Vancouver last night.

_Del_
10-27-2003, 03:52 PM
Hell, all I want is entertaining hockey right now.. And i am getting it..

Its been great to watch or listen to the games lately, best in 5 years..

You have me on the verge of ordering the center ice package for you, lol.... I feel for you, really, I do... damn women....

Dancing Chicken
10-27-2003, 04:15 PM
LMAO Be careful my wife reads these but how true..

CoyoteBaloney
10-28-2003, 07:18 AM
As of this mornings paper the Coyotes had 3 players in the Top Scoring list. One of them is defenseman Paul Mara who nobody would have predicted even in their wildest moments that he would become a force and tied for the lead in defensemen scoring.
Not true ... oh sure no one ever would have predicted him being atop the scoring list for the defense but many of us said that Mara will have a big year and as a matter of fact I told Mara to his face that he was going to have big year -- he had doubts, but I did not.

Of course it is only one month into the regular season but as the guy who jumped off the Empire State Building was heard to say around the 30th floor on the way down -- "So far, so good."

Hoot
10-28-2003, 08:40 AM
Of course it is only one month into the regular season but as the guy who jumped off the Empire State Building was heard to say around the 30th floor on the way down -- "So far, so good."

With jokes like that, please Tony, don't ever become a color commentator ;) :p

Gwyddbwyll
10-28-2003, 11:03 AM
As of this mornings paper the Coyotes had 3 players in the Top Scoring list. One of them is defenseman Paul Mara who nobody would have predicted even in their wildest moments that he would become a force and tied for the lead in defensemen scoring...
...The biggest impact has to be Tanabe and Mara who are giving them something the team lacked but really needed. Nagy and Doan have also impressed. We were all hoping for something special from these players but never really expected them to come thru.

Ahem.. I did point out only Gonchar among NHL defensemen scored more ES goals than Mara last year. And A.Markov but he had a couple of empty nets to boost his total. Now if Mara could just work out the powerplay..

I am really surprised though by Tanabe becoming effectively our No1. He had the talent but I didnt think he'd play so many minutes as well.

PhoPhan
10-28-2003, 12:09 PM
With jokes like that, please Tony, don't ever become a color commentator ;) :p

Ever.

hbk
10-28-2003, 01:36 PM
I believe I penciled Mara in for 10 goals and 40 points. Mara played very well at the end of last season but was invisible for our first three games (all victories so I guess I shouldn't complain). I think we can revise expectations to 50 points. Vaananen can play better. He's one guy that I'm expecting more from (not just offensively).

Of course we should all realize that the Nagy, Mara, and Doan for nothing proposals will become commonplace on the main board. I'm looking so forward to the "Coyotes asked for Jackman and three first round picks for Burke so therefore they will demand this" type arguements.

Hoot
10-28-2003, 01:47 PM
I'm looking so forward to the "Coyotes asked for Jackman and three first round picks for Burke so therefore they will demand this" type arguements.

It's already started. I saw one like that today :D