Will the Panthers make any moves?

FlaPanthers7
10-27-2003, 10:47 AM
It's early in the season, but the Panthers are 3-4 in a division that's all of a sudden become very HOT! :madfire:

With all the holdouts and FA still available, will we see Florida pick anyone up? Patrick Stefan is on the block in Hotlanta, Gaborik is still a holdout in Minn, as is Comrie, and a savvy veteran like Ronning is still unsigned. IMO our first rounder this year (and whatever else it wook) would be worth trading for a bona fide star player like Gabs. It would also help the Cats lack of scoring...

Our 2nd line center spot is still unstable. Keenan can keep switching Kozzie down there at the expense of his chemistry with Olli, but it has been sparking things lately for both players. Cullen is out with injury if not out permanently b/c he just can't solidify that spot. Nedorost is still recovering from surgery and it's unascertainable when he'll be 100% and ready for that spot.

So basically maybe a guy like Ronning could fill in for a year to add some stability, or the Panthers could trade for a guy like Stefan (hey, they traded Majesky to their division rival right?), who is still a young developing talent. (It could be a future of Horton-Stefan down the middle with Jokinen and Nedorost playing the wings.)

Feel free to suggest any moves you'd like to see or not see!

jacksheit
10-27-2003, 12:03 PM
what r u talking about, jokinen n kozie werent connecting
with them split up they both get like a point a game
cullen is a hack
The middle WILL b solid, it hasta develop. the wings r short on developing prospects.
and Novo is finnally finding his game on the top line wid Jokinen.
AND the panthers r finnally scoring more then 1 goal a game, they just hafta check hard and reduce the shots against
If anything is needed its a pro star RW for the first line who is a grinder and can score

Rattrick
10-27-2003, 12:50 PM
Man, it's hard as hell to read your posts Jack.

If only our 1st round pick could return Gaborik! I surely wish it would, but realistically, there is no way.

jacksheit
10-27-2003, 03:01 PM
Man, it's hard as hell to read your posts Jack.

If only our 1st round pick could return Gaborik! I surely wish it would, but realistically, there is no way.

ya :moon: I've been meaning to type correctly but i forget

Coolburn
10-27-2003, 04:10 PM
Gaborik would cost us around...oh say, 5 first round picks or the closest equivalent. He's a RFA so if any team tried to sign him, its five 1st rounders to the other team. Why would Minnesota trade him for anything less? I think a deal between Gaborik and Minnesota is eminent (sp?) anyhow. Our situation up the middle isn't as dire as everyone makes it out to be. Cullen, like its been said already, wasn't really playing his best and isn't our answer at 2nd line center. Viktor has been filling in nicely but its just a temp fix. Kozlov should really play RW no matter what line he's on. In fact, to bring a different dynamic to the 2nd line, I would like to see Kozlov on the RW on that line. Weiss has earned a call-up and it sounds like Dudley agrees. I'd like to see him at that 2nd line center spot and see what he can do this go around (and I think him and Kozlov would develop a good chemistry). Nedorost can play center or LW so there's no pressure there, once he's fully recovered. I like having Huselius on Jokinen's wing and it just reminds me of the top line for Vancouver (minus Bertuzzi). I wouldn't mind seeing these top 2 lines really soon:

Huselius-Jokinen-Novo
Nedorost-Weiss-Kozlov

When Bure comes back, he'll be on the second line and Kozlov can move back to the top line. Keenan will always shuffle lines around so there's no reason to pigeon hole anyone on any line. I just don't think: (A) Cohen will open up the wallet to sign any FA, (B) the team is willing to make any trades this early in the season...most teams decide after about the 15th game, and (C) we should look outside our organization for a center, especially.

Rattrick
10-28-2003, 03:29 AM
Gaborik would cost us around...oh say, 5 first round picks or the closest equivalent. He's a RFA so if any team tried to sign him, its five 1st rounders to the other team. Why would Minnesota trade him for anything less? I think a deal between Gaborik and Minnesota is eminent (sp?) anyhow. Our situation up the middle isn't as dire as everyone makes it out to be. Cullen, like its been said already, wasn't really playing his best and isn't our answer at 2nd line center. Viktor has been filling in nicely but its just a temp fix. Kozlov should really play RW no matter what line he's on. In fact, to bring a different dynamic to the 2nd line, I would like to see Kozlov on the RW on that line. Weiss has earned a call-up and it sounds like Dudley agrees. I'd like to see him at that 2nd line center spot and see what he can do this go around (and I think him and Kozlov would develop a good chemistry). Nedorost can play center or LW so there's no pressure there, once he's fully recovered. I like having Huselius on Jokinen's wing and it just reminds me of the top line for Vancouver (minus Bertuzzi). I wouldn't mind seeing these top 2 lines really soon:

Huselius-Jokinen-Novo
Nedorost-Weiss-Kozlov

When Bure comes back, he'll be on the second line and Kozlov can move back to the top line. Keenan will always shuffle lines around so there's no reason to pigeon hole anyone on any line. I just don't think: (A) Cohen will open up the wallet to sign any FA, (B) the team is willing to make any trades this early in the season...most teams decide after about the 15th game, and (C) we should look outside our organization for a center, especially.

I myself was referring to trading for him. Obviously we would have to give up much more either way.

Acadmus
10-28-2003, 06:56 AM
With all the holdouts and FA still available, will we see Florida pick anyone up? Patrick Stefan is on the block in Hotlanta, Gaborik is still a holdout in Minn, as is Comrie, and a savvy veteran like Ronning is still unsigned. IMO our first rounder this year (and whatever else it wook) would be worth trading for a bona fide star player like Gabs. It would also help the Cats lack of scoring...

Okay, my turn ;)

Gaborik: would be a great pick up for any team, but it doesn't mean any team can pick him up. Minnesota may trade him eventually, but at a high price to the receiving team. And then that team has to sign him. You can bet Dudley isn't even considering asking Cohen for that kind of cash.

Comrie: Again, as news has suggested, asking price is too high ($4 million would make him the Panthers highest paid player, ahead of already overpaid Val Bure). He's still young, so it's still questionable if he's worth it. Also, he's showing he's a player with loose loyalties, which often isn't good for team-building (though every team has those guys).

Ronning: I think there's a reason Nashville and Minnesota have let him go in recent years. He still has hands, perhaps, but it may be his age is slowing him down. He's what, 150 now? After Hoglund failed to make the team, I don't think the Panthers want to try again mid-season. Besides, the old veterans have never worked for the Panthers. Gagner, Tikkanen, Muller, Greg Adams, Sheppard v2.0 - none of them gave enough after signing in South Florida.

PanthersRule96
10-29-2003, 08:17 AM
What's Gaborik asking for anyways?

If I was the GM and actually allowed to spend money I would bring in Gaborik or Comrie no question.

For Gaborik:

We'd have to give up so valuable commodities so

1rst rounder in 04
Stewart
Novak

for Gaborik
and
1.5 million

Unless of course its like

Huselius
Novak
3rd rounder

for
Gaborik

FOr Comire:

1rst rounder in 04, Lilja
for Comire

Screw salary. I hate Cohen. That cheap @&& mother $&%*#@ will never let this team succeed. Gaborik is great defensively and will be an 80 point player.

FlaPanthers7
10-29-2003, 11:14 AM
I would make either of those deals in a heartbeat, and not look back. To get an offensively dominating player who is responsible defensively and is not yet even in his prime is well worth the price. I'd rather the first deal, I'd hate to see Huselius go...but in the end you've got star-power again in South Florida! :yo:

Club301
10-29-2003, 11:30 AM
Honestly, the Huselius deal isn't that far off. It's definitely the type of deal Minny will be looking for, a good young scorer with lots of potential, a high prospect and a pick. If we were willing to pick up a little bit of cash for a young star who still fits into the young, building mode of the panthers, we could be playoff contenders sooner than later.

jacksheit
10-29-2003, 12:02 PM
come on man, none of those trades will happen :shakehead

Rattrick
10-29-2003, 12:15 PM
Screw salary. I hate Cohen. That cheap @&& mother $&%*#@ will never let this team succeed. Gaborik is great defensively and will be an 80 point player.

Wow, another unrealistic fan! :shakehead

jacksheit
10-29-2003, 12:23 PM
You want a move?
Put HORTON on the RW so he can get sum pays happening with kozie or Oli. He's physical and he needs to start getting points :teach:
teach the boy to play, not to check