Cleary Vs. Taffe

Morris Lukowich
10-28-2003, 08:30 AM
There was an article at AZ Central mentioning that Cleary felt he was ready for a closer look by the coaching staff and that he felt he could really play given the chance.....

Well for my 2 cents I saw his play against Vancouver and although he wasn't terrible he certainly was no Jeff Taffe.

What gives? I know we recalled Cleary but he had to clear etc etc but seriously....why bother?

I know that Taffe has cooled it recently but that might have something to do with the fact that he was passed over for Cleary.

Can I please have Jeff Taffe back??

hbk
10-28-2003, 02:31 PM
To say the decision to recall Cleary over Taffe was a political move is an HR understatement. It appears that Phoenix is desperately wanting to keep Taffe in the AHL so he has a place to play during the lockout year.

scoob4093
10-28-2003, 02:59 PM
To say the decision to recall Cleary over Taffe was a political move is an HR understatement. It appears that Phoenix is desperately wanting to keep Taffe in the AHL so he has a place to play during the lockout year.

Honestly the way some of you people here talk about this player I'm beginning to think of him as the Messiah standing ready to lead the Yotes out of bondage into the Promised Land. He is hardly dominating down here and without the Ferraro's feeding him as he constantly hangs outside the blueline while the opposition has the puck he'd probably be a -8. As it is he has 8 points in 6 games and is at -3 which is a rather remarkable acheivement in itself.

Dancing Chicken
10-28-2003, 03:21 PM
I have thought for two years that Taffe will only be a 2nd line player at best.. I can only hope we trade him well theres value.. Taffe for Steen and a 1st..

hbk
10-28-2003, 04:31 PM
No shame in being a second liner. Doan, Nagy, Langkow, etc. would be considered second liners by a number of teams in the league.

Taffe has put up impressive numbers thus far on an immature Springfield team. Nobody is claiming he's the second coming of Gretzky. Cleary has a reputation of being a defensively irresponsible floater. I don't think anyone can be blamed for wanting to see Taffe afforded the opportunity to fill in a role where he might be successful (In Brian Savage's scoring role on the second line) over a -3 Daniel Cleary.

As for being overrated. Well, I'm not sure I would have ranked him number 4 in the AHL but Taffe has talent. He is our top prospect and I think he'll develop nicely into a solid NHLer. He will play in the league.

Gwyddbwyll
10-29-2003, 11:18 AM
Honestly the way some of you people here talk about this player I'm beginning to think of him as the Messiah standing ready to lead the Yotes out of bondage into the Promised Land. He is hardly dominating down here and without the Ferraro's feeding him as he constantly hangs outside the blueline while the opposition has the puck he'd probably be a -8. As it is he has 8 points in 6 games and is at -3 which is a rather remarkable acheivement in itself.

Honestly the way you talk Im beginning to think you have a major chip on your shoulder.

Dont get me wrong - Im very happy to see a Falcons poster here.. its difficult to keep up with a farm team several time zones away.

But please enough of the sweeping generalisations and exaggerations. Nobody at all around here considers Taffe to be a franchise prospect as you seem to think. However at the same time there is no denying he is a quality player and doing well where many others have not. Please stop taking your frustrations out on us. Read the quote you took from hbk's post again and then your own response. You're looking in the wrong place if you're looking for a bunch of rabid Taffe puckbunnies (actually if you think we're bad you should have seen the Falcons official message board before it got shut down).

scoob4093
10-30-2003, 03:52 AM
Honestly the way you talk Im beginning to think you have a major chip on your shoulder.

Dont get me wrong - Im very happy to see a Falcons poster here.. its difficult to keep up with a farm team several time zones away.

But please enough of the sweeping generalisations and exaggerations. Nobody at all around here considers Taffe to be a franchise prospect as you seem to think. However at the same time there is no denying he is a quality player and doing well where many others have not. Please stop taking your frustrations out on us. Read the quote you took from hbk's post again and then your own response. You're looking in the wrong place if you're looking for a bunch of rabid Taffe puckbunnies (actually if you think we're bad you should have seen the Falcons official message board before it got shut down).

Just calling it the way I see it; Taffe did play a strong 2 way game last night against Norfolk. Whether he has more upside than Sjostrom is a debateable point; Freddie has shown some serious wheels in the brief period he's been here. Both look like NHL players at some point.

hbk
10-30-2003, 04:27 AM
in the games that i've managed to catch Sjostrom play I've always come away impressed with his two-way play. Has he kept up his work ethic on the farm?

scoob4093
10-30-2003, 04:57 AM
in the games that i've managed to catch Sjostrom play I've always come away impressed with his two-way play. Has he kept up his work ethic on the farm?

Yes he has. He can really motor. He hasn't scored yet but it's only a matter of time. He set up Taffe on the winner last night in OT on an odd man rush, of which there were a few in OT last night as the 2 teams are in different divisions and went all out for the win.

hbk
10-30-2003, 02:53 PM
Yes he has. He can really motor. He hasn't scored yet but it's only a matter of time. He set up Taffe on the winner last night in OT on an odd man rush, of which there were a few in OT last night as the 2 teams are in different divisions and went all out for the win.

If I recall correctly Sjostrom potted a couple at the end of last years AHL season/playoffs. Anyone with that type of speed and skill will score goals.

How's Knyazev playing these days. His name is showing up on the game sheets. Is it for the right reasons? How about McLeod?

scoob4093
11-02-2003, 03:53 AM
[QUOTE=hbk]If I recall correctly Sjostrom potted a couple at the end of last years AHL season/playoffs. Anyone with that type of speed and skill will score goals.

How's Knyazev playing these days. His name is showing up on the game sheets. Is it for the right reasons? How about McLeod?[/Q

McLeod was spot shifted on Wed. against Norfolk but played a regular shift last night in Hartford and did not look out of place. Knyazev has been a top 4 defenseman IMO but McSorley has been playing 6 defensemen on a regular basis with Schutte a healthy scratch the last 2 games.