The difference in a single point

Unthinkable
10-28-2003, 02:36 PM
http://nhl.com/intheslot/read/east/east_notebook102803.html

Flyers get the point
By Chuck Gormley | Special to NHL.com
October 28, 2003

Ken Hitchcock and the Flyers don't like to talk about it much, but when they do, you can see wisps of smoke filtering from their noses and ears.

"One point," fourth-year right wing Justin Williams said. "One stinking point."

That is what separated the New Jersey Devils from the Flyers in the Atlantic Division standings last season. The difference, at least in the opinion of the Flyers, was monumental.

While the Devils breezed past the Bruins and Lightning in 10 games on their way to the Eastern Conference Finals against the Senators, the Flyers slugged it out with the Maple Leafs (seven games) and the Senators (six games). They still believe it could have been them hoisting the silver chalice above their heads, if only they'd won one more game.

"The only thing I know right now," Hitchcock said, "is that if anybody talks about the lack of importance of the regular season I'm going to climb down their throat. There should be no conversations by anybody in our dressing room or anybody on our coaching staff or anybody that watches us play about the lack of importance (of the regular season) or the lack of importance of us getting to first place in the division. It's really, really critical."

ZadorovNJD*
10-28-2003, 02:54 PM
Switch positions and NJ still wins the cup. Toronto wouldn't be a problem, and they actually beat Ottawa, and the Flyers wouldn't stop them...give me a break.

Unthinkable
10-28-2003, 04:13 PM
Switch positions and NJ still wins the cup. Toronto wouldn't be a problem, and they actually beat Ottawa, and the Flyers wouldn't stop them...give me a break.

I see it the same way you do. There was a lot of talk on here of how easy the Devils had it through the first two rounds compared with Anaheim, but in the end it was all good. You still have to win 4 rounds and get 16 victories. The Devils were in playoff form all season long and ready for any team.

Blackjack
10-28-2003, 09:16 PM
The funny thing is, Boston and Tampa were supposed to be tough opponents when the rounds started. It was only after the Devils beat em in 5 that they were 'easy'. As flawed as the Maple Leafs were last year, it never should have taken the Flyers 7 hard fought games.

Sykie
10-30-2003, 03:16 AM
The funny thing is, Boston and Tampa were supposed to be tough opponents when the rounds started. It was only after the Devils beat em in 5 that they were 'easy'. As flawed as the Maple Leafs were last year, it never should have taken the Flyers 7 hard fought games.

Boston and Tampa tough opponents ?? Reality check : Leafs or Senators were 10 times the opponent that Tampa or Boston was. The point of difference was a huge assest for the Devils.

That's history, no big deal.

Flyers26
10-30-2003, 05:03 AM

Toronto was a very physical series, and granted, you might have won the series, but a few key injuries, and your out against Ottawa.

Blackjack
10-30-2003, 12:05 PM
Boston and Tampa tough opponents ?? Reality check : Leafs or Senators were 10 times the opponent that Tampa or Boston was. The point of difference was a huge assest for the Devils.

That's history, no big deal.

Boston had a healthy Sergei Samsonov and their top line of Knuble Thornton Murray was supposed to run Madden and Stevens into the ground. Tampa Bay had tons of scoring and the Bulin wall. Yes, the Devils were favored in both series', but it was only after they won in 5 games that they were considered easy.

There were at least 3 teams in the East better than Toronto in the playoffs: The Sens, The Devils, and the Flyers. I don't understand how facing the 4th best team in the 1st round constitutes a huge hardship. I honestly believe that the Devils were the only team in the East capable of beating Ottawa.

John Flyers Fan
10-30-2003, 12:45 PM
Quotes from the Devils themselves:

http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1067497802203560.xml

"Last year it did, I must admit," Burns said of the season series between the Devils and Flyers. "It made a big difference."

Center John Madden said the Devils' winning the division was a "huge deal."

"Not to say that Boston or Tampa (the Devils' opponents in the first two rounds) were not as good as the other teams were, but Philly had to face Ottawa (in the second round)," Madden said. "You play Ottawa when they're fresh, it's totally different than playing them in the third round. It was just a much more physical series (between Philadelphia and Ottawa) I believe, if you watch the games."

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 02:06 PM
Quotes from the Devils themselves:

http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1067497802203560.xml

"Last year it did, I must admit," Burns said of the season series between the Devils and Flyers. "It made a big difference."

Center John Madden said the Devils' winning the division was a "huge deal."

"Not to say that Boston or Tampa (the Devils' opponents in the first two rounds) were not as good as the other teams were, but Philly had to face Ottawa (in the second round)," Madden said. "You play Ottawa when they're fresh, it's totally different than playing them in the third round. It was just a much more physical series (between Philadelphia and Ottawa) I believe, if you watch the games."

I read those, but I still believe last years Devils team was ready for everyone in the east once the playoffs started. Didn't matter to me which opponent they faced first knowing they'd still have to beat the best of the best to get to the finals. They were the epitome of a team that found ways to win tight games all season long and hated losing any games whatsoever. Their ability to almost go the whole distance without losing two straight games was testiment to their readiness for the 2nd season imo.

John Flyers Fan
10-30-2003, 02:29 PM
I read those, but I still believe last years Devils team was ready for everyone in the east once the playoffs started. Didn't matter to me which opponent they faced first knowing they'd still have to beat the best of the best to get to the finals. They were the epitome of a team that found ways to win tight games all season long and hated losing any games whatsoever. Their ability to almost go the whole distance without losing two straight games was testiment to their readiness for the 2nd season imo.

I'm not saying that it definitely made a difference, but I do think the Flyers would have been in the ECF if they won the Atlantic division.

Probably playing the Devils.

Devils still probably win, but the Flyers do match up better against the Devils than they do against Ottawa.

NJDraft
10-30-2003, 02:48 PM
I always want to avoid TML. Not becasue you're worried about the team,just the crap that goes on there with the media driven insanity .

Even though NJ won in '01 ,the concussion to Neidermayer prob. cost another cup.