***HFPHL *** League New, Trade Rumors, Signings, etc

Alex Kovalev
10-29-2003, 08:13 AM
HFPHL League Page

Topics to discuss

1- MSN Messenger - Do we exchange MSNs? Everyone has everyone's email but I heard noone has been emailing each other quite often. Now MSN, in my opinion, is a good idea, because you can talk trade live...

2- Adding Koltsov47 as the 3rd commish makes 100% sense. He's been amazing as a team's manager and very commited to this league.

Koltsov71
10-29-2003, 09:38 AM
No MSN for me.

Koltsov71
10-29-2003, 09:39 AM
Just a thought too, but this might be better served to be a sticky thread. People not in the league probably don't want to see it among threads actually relating to the Pittsburgh Penguins. I wouldn't, anyway.

Alex Kovalev
10-29-2003, 11:06 AM
Just a thought too, but this might be better served to be a sticky thread. People not in the league probably don't want to see it among threads actually relating to the Pittsburgh Penguins. I wouldn't, anyway.

I had every intention of doing so its just that I forgot to click the sticky button, thanks anyway.

What about ICQ?

Koltsov71
10-29-2003, 11:09 AM
No ICQ either. I do think it is a good idea though, for people that have these programs. Great way to talk trades and such.

AEKaki
10-29-2003, 11:20 AM
No MSN for me.

Ok, so what you're saying is that you don't have the program.
We thought you didn't want :p

AEKaki
10-29-2003, 11:22 AM
Hey AK, will you add the scores/standings/other info, on this page?

DJ Spinoza
10-29-2003, 12:16 PM
I have AIM, but I'm not posting it on the boards (no offense anyone).

If someone wants to talk with me about trading, PM me here. If we need to discuss live, then we can work that out one on one.

Just so everyone knows, if you send a trade to me and don't recieve a reject, accept or counter quickly don't worry...I basically do all my fantasy stuff on Sundays when I have time and can think better, so then is when to expect a reply.

It's not easy to organize 20+ hockey leagues.

GoPenguins
10-29-2003, 02:22 PM
Firstly, if Koltsov does not mind being a commish, am all for it as he, and kutdacheez, have been very good at posting, assisting and been driving forces behind a lot of things in the league.

I dont have MSN, and I do not currently have ICQ either. However, I dont know quite how useful this would be as there isnt much trade activity evident.

Two key issues from the other topic that remain un-addressed are:

1) Do we still have a 30 move limit? Quite a few of us are fast approaching this limit. This move limit needs to be either extended or perhaps removed entirely.

2) What do we do about the prospects - including both those the game has added (Fleury, Staal etc) and those not yet playing in the NHL. (Whitney, Vanek, Lehtonen etc)

Big McLargehuge
10-29-2003, 04:47 PM
MSN sucks and I just plain don't like ICQ.

Only messanger system I use is AIM.

phantompenguin59 is my screenname.

AEKaki
10-29-2003, 07:20 PM
Firstly, if Koltsov does not mind being a commish, am all for it as he, and kutdacheez, have been very good at posting, assisting and been driving forces behind a lot of things in the league.

I dont have MSN, and I do not currently have ICQ either. However, I dont know quite how useful this would be as there isnt much trade activity evident.

Two key issues from the other topic that remain un-addressed are:

1) Do we still have a 30 move limit? Quite a few of us are fast approaching this limit. This move limit needs to be either extended or perhaps removed entirely.

2) What do we do about the prospects - including both those the game has added (Fleury, Staal etc) and those not yet playing in the NHL. (Whitney, Vanek, Lehtonen etc)

I vote to take out the maximum transactions limit.

DJ Spinoza
10-30-2003, 02:25 PM
I will wholeheartily second that. I'm sure most everyone agrees with that too.

If anything, it hurts the league, because it doesn't encourage you to be very active.

Koltsov71
10-31-2003, 02:47 PM
AK, are you going to answer my PM?

Koltsov71
11-01-2003, 02:04 PM
http://media.TheInsiders.com/Media/Other/229031_feedback.GIF

Would be nice.

Koltsov71
11-01-2003, 08:29 PM
Anyone have a defenseman available? Losing MacInnis has hit me hard. If you do, please send me a PM here at HF.

Jeff Goldblum
11-02-2003, 07:43 AM
I think we should let other GM's know who we are looking to trade.

Available:

Niko Kapanen
Richard Zednik
Chris Gratton
Zdeno Chara
Radek Dvorak
Nathan Dempsey
Marcus Nilson
Andrei Zyuzin
Matt Cullen
Michael Nylander
Sebastien Caron
Zac Bierk

If there's any interest PM me or send a proposal.

AEKaki
11-03-2003, 10:29 AM
Let's revisit the trade, the same trade that had ppl thinking wtf is Scarface doing with his Van City Warriors

The Original Trade:

To Laval Titans:

Alexander Mogilny and Mats Sundin

To Van City Warriors :

Igor Radulov, John Leclair, and Mike Modano.

I've sinced dropped Igor Radulov and kept the 2 main players.

Stat breakdowns.

Laval Titans
Mats Sundin - 6pts
Mogilny - 3pts
Total: 9pts.

Van City Warriors
John Leclair - 5pts
Modano - 5pts
Total: 10pts

I'd say we both faired pretty good, all remember Leclair has only played 4 games...i thought i was gonna be really screwed with this deal, thank god JL came back when he did, or i would have really been in big trouble with my top players.

Yeah, it ended up being a fair finish...
You're risk on LeClair paid off...
Toronto is doing **** all...

AEKaki
11-03-2003, 10:33 AM
TRADABLE PLAYERS:

Goaltending:
Biron, Martin
Burke, Sean

Defence:
Kuba, Filip
McCabe, Bryan
Aucoin, Adrian
McGillis, Dan
Hatcher, Derian
Khavanov, Alex

LW:
Hecht, Jochen
Tucker, Darcy

C:
Sundin, Mats
Horcoff, Shawn
Halpern, Jeff

RW:
Mogilny, Alex
Cheechoo, Jonathan

That's my players "on the block" right now.
PM me if anything.

Koltsov71
11-03-2003, 10:44 AM
I sent this PM to the "commisioner" nearly a week ago, and I have yet to get a response. So, as a last resort, I'll post it here. If you don't like the ideas, just say so. But I see no one else presenting any solid ideas.

Quoted directly, here is the PM that I sent:

Have a draft that includes all prospects and players that have played less than 25 games (or whatever number is decided upon) at the NHL level (but excluding players yet to be drafted, i.e. Ovechkin and Crosby). Have the draft last about 10 rounds, perhaps more depending on the level of interest.

Those ten players would make up the farm system. Teams would be able to call up players from the farm to replace injured or non-productive players and send them back down if needed. When on the farm, the players will not count towards the roster size (they'll be on the available list at Yahoo when on the farm).

We could also make it so that GM's can trade picks in this prospect draft. That might help to generate interest and trade activity.

Run this idea by Stark as well, and let me know what you guys think. If you guys like it, we could run it by the GM's to get their opinions. And if they like it, we can go ahead with it. I'd be more than happy to set up and maintain the draft. I ran a mock draft for a couple months and it went pretty well.

I see no one else presenting any ideas, so I thought I'd through this out there.

Please also address the 30 roster moves limit. We've been asking about it for a long time. I personally think it needs abolished.

We could also have a 5 round Entry Draft each summer to expand our farm system to 15, and to distribute the top players fairly in each Entry Draft. The draft order would go in the reverse order of the final standings, just like the NHL.

Please respond with your thoughts. If you like these ideas, I'll present them to the GM's..

Thanks,
Koltsov47

If anyone reads this and cares, please let me know what you think.

Jeff Goldblum
11-03-2003, 01:57 PM
I really would like to have a farm team. And i think drafting is the way to go. It makes it more like a keeper league. Because there are guys who have value out ther but just aren't producing in the NHL. There needs to be a place where we can put those players without taking up a roster spot.

Koltsov71
11-03-2003, 02:14 PM
I really would like to have a farm team. And i think drafting is the way to go. It makes it more like a keeper league. Becvaue there are guys who have value out ther but just aren't producing in the NHL. There needs to be a place where we cna put those players without taking up a roster spot.

Finally, someone responds. Thank you!

That's two in favor of doing a draft.

GoPenguins
11-03-2003, 02:39 PM
I sent this PM to the "commisioner" nearly a week ago, and I have yet to get a response. So, as a last resort, I'll post it here. If you don't like the ideas, just say so. But I see no one else presenting any solid ideas.

Quoted directly, here is the PM that I sent:

If anyone reads this and cares, please let me know what you think.

I have been hoping for a draft for a while, so I thank you for posting this. I, too, hope we go this way. Having draft picks and farm team prospects will go a long way towards creating some trading opportunities as people would seek to deal away prospects in the hope of winning it all this season. Heck, we'd almost could have a trade deadline frenzy (ok, probably too extreme a hope).

Oh..and I definitely hope the 30 move limit gets removed also.

Koltsov71
11-03-2003, 03:10 PM
New Draft Order

Would you propose that we use the current standings as the format for the prospect draft (in reverse order, that is)?

30 Limit for Roster Moves disabled

Well, that is one thing that I can't do. We've said countless times as a league that we want the rule changed. That's something only the MIA AK can change.

Koltsov71
11-03-2003, 03:12 PM
I have been hoping for a draft for a while, so I thank you for posting this. I, too, hope we go this way. Having draft picks and farm team prospects will go a long way towards creating some trading opportunities as people would seek to deal away prospects in the hope of winning it all this season. Heck, we'd almost could have a trade deadline frenzy (ok, probably too extreme a hope).

That's four in favor. :)

Koltsov71
11-03-2003, 03:36 PM
That's annoying, time for a new moderator to take over, AK is very streaky with his attendance and i don't know if its just me, but i'm bothered by that.

If you mean commisioner at Yahoo, that cannot be changed.

Yes the current standings used as the draft order, in reverse order, gives the guys on the bottom a bit of a chance, i could care less where i am positioned but i don't want it to be the same order...do you know what i mean?

Yep, and I agree.

kutdacheez
11-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Make that a fifth in favor.

DJ Spinoza
11-03-2003, 05:21 PM
Here's my thoughts.

We can't do a ten round draft for players who have NHL experience (like Horton, Fleury etc). It won't work. We've tried with other keepers and only gotten through two rounds tops.

I am totally in favor of having a draft for newly added players, but if you want to have a farm team, I say we just open up the entire AHL for drafting.

Of course, we'd have to keep track of the 'farm team' on here really, especially with guys like say Lupaschuk or Kirill Koltsov who aren't in the Yahoo database (just to throw names off the top of my head).

So I guess I'm a sixth in favor, with a slightly different view.

Koltsov71
11-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Here's my thoughts.

We can't do a ten round draft for players who have NHL experience (like Horton, Fleury etc). It won't work. We've tried with other keepers and only gotten through two rounds tops.

Yeah, sometimes drafts don't finish too strong. But if the person running it is on his/her feet, it shouldn't be too much of a problem (and I volunteered my services). 12 hour time limit. If the person doesn't pick in time, the next person on the clock goes. Might take a couple weeks, but it would provide a long term solution. Just my two cents.

kutdacheez
11-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Player transaction problem.
I thought I made what was a simple drop of (Jan Bullis) and pickup of (Ethan Moreau) and the system says two different things:
(a) it will take place 11/4 @ 11:59 and
(b) another message stating if this "waiver claim" is successful it will be reflected on your lineup for Thu, Nov 6.

Huh?
What's going on? Or, am I doing wrong? It's not any different from other transactions I've made.

kutdacheez
11-04-2003, 03:43 AM
Yeah, sometimes drafts don't finish too strong. But if the person running it is on his/her feet, it shouldn't be too much of a problem (and I volunteered my services). 12 hour time limit. If the person doesn't pick in time, the next person on the clock goes. Might take a couple weeks, but it would provide a long term solution. Just my two cents.

Fleury, Horton, Staal and a group of others have already been picked up and lost. All that's water over the dam. However, I like the idea of the farm team and if some team decides to skip their picks, so what. I think a ten player farm team would be kind of neat. Then add to that an entry draft (I'd suggest four rounds) about two weeks before the actual entry draft so that we don't get those Rick Dudley type GM's interpreting the rules of when a player is, or is not eligible to be selected. :D

Koltsov71
11-04-2003, 04:58 AM
Fleury, Horton, Staal and a group of others have already been picked up and lost. All that's water over the dam.

Those players would need to be dropped. They would be eligible for the prospect draft.

kutdacheez
11-04-2003, 06:00 AM
Those players would need to be dropped. They would be eligible for the prospect draft.

I say FORGET IT . . . it's not like we are losing any money over it. I would suggest that at the most have those picks be considered as their prospect picks in the draft.
For example, if the GM selected both Fleury and Horton they would not have a pick in the first two rounds of the draft.
Why get in a peeing contest over it? They did have to drop players to select them and . . . really, it's too much of a admin. nightmare to do anything else. Don't you think?
It would be good to hear from those Rick Dudley oppertunists out there . . . how do you guy's feel about it?

KungFuPenguin
11-04-2003, 08:04 AM
I have no problem with dropping players eligible for the prospect draft. That's the assumption I've been working under all the time. I would like to know more about the specific rules of the draft though; who decides who is eligible, and by what criteria? When will it be held -- during or after the season? In what order will teams pick? And so forth.

Koltsov71
11-04-2003, 08:20 AM
I have no problem with dropping players eligible for the prospect draft. That's the assumption I've been working under all the time. I would like to know more about the specific rules of the draft though; who decides who is eligible, and by what criteria? When will it be held -- during or after the season? In what order will teams pick? And so forth.

Well, it's obviously still in the conceptual stage. I'm just throwing out ideas because no one else is.

Eligibility, I outlined as any drafted player who has played less than 25 games at the NHL level. That number could be changed to meet the majority interest if needed. I assume that the draft would begin immediately upon agreement. The drafting order would be in the reverse order of the current standings.

Superstar Shane
11-04-2003, 08:56 AM
I like the idea of a prospect draft too, even if it does mean I'll lose Horton and Staal. I also think a farm team would be a good idea. I'm tired of having Komisarek sitting on my bench, taking up space.

And another thing I was thinking about is that maybe we should set up a way of trading for draft picks (in both this upcoming draft and the entry draft). For some teams, the draft may be the most exciting part of this season. ;)

Koltsov71
11-04-2003, 09:08 AM
And another thing I was thinking about is that maybe we should set up a way of trading for draft picks

Yeah, I mentioned that up above and do think that it is a good idea.

AEKaki
11-04-2003, 11:09 AM
1- Starting next season, we should have draft picks to trade.
2- Prospect draft. It will be hard to do one with players already picked, but if all in favor, I will be too. But it will be hard because some prospects were picked during the draft, while others, were picked later on, of waivers, which killed the waiver priority of those teams. But like I said, I am in favor if we all are.
3- Having a 4-5 round prospect draft every year is a very nice idea. (With the new prospects or prospects not taken).
4- Farm team. Very nice idea. I like large leagues. But it will need some work.

I would like to suggest a way to keep track of draft picks, farm teams and all. An excel file should be done having the draft picks of every team on one sheet, rosters on another, draft results on another, rules, ... and so on.
All teams can have access to that file if it's uploaded when it is uptaded on a random site, say angelfire. It works for my keepers league that I have going on with my friends.

If I forgot something, I will add it when I come back home from school later tonight.

Koltsov71
11-04-2003, 11:15 AM
I would like to suggest a way to keep track of draft picks, farm teams and all.

I could keep track of everything here. Just a thought.

Jeff Goldblum
11-04-2003, 11:17 AM
Why don't we just do something like this:

Say I have a rookie player that is on my roster now. He wouldn't be eligible for the rookie draft. But any other rookie on waivers would be, along with all players not in the database. If my rookie stops producing though, I can send him down to the farm. That way we don't have people feeling cheated because they claimed a certain player only to lose him shortly thereafter.

Koltsov71
11-04-2003, 11:22 AM
My opinion on that...

If any prospect was taken during the actual league draft itself, I think it is only fair that the team be able to keep him. But as for all the rookies that were added to the database afterwards, and picked up in a mad rush, I don't think it's fair that the teams are allowed to keep those players.

Superstar Shane
11-04-2003, 11:38 AM
My opinion on that...

If any prospect was taken during the actual league draft itself, I think it is only fair that the team be able to keep him. But as for all the rookies that were added to the database afterwards, and picked up in a mad rush, I don't think it's fair that the teams are allowed to keep those players.
I can agree with that.

DJ Spinoza
11-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Koltsov,

I wasn't referring to time limits or anything. There isn't enough players we can make eligible for a 12 round draft without dipping into the AHL.

I am in favor of making minor league teams on here, and having a 12 round draft for drafted players who have played less than 25 games or so in the NHL (including 0 games).

Of course, we would just keep track of the minor league rosters here. I don't think they should/could recieve any points for anything.

Maybe we can call up players if they start playing. We'd have to set a limit though, like you can't send down an injured player for a healthy one.:dunno:

Koltsov71
11-04-2003, 12:16 PM
I wasn't referring to time limits or anything. There isn't enough players we can make eligible for a 12 round draft without dipping into the AHL.

What's wrong with guys in the AHL? 12 x 14 = 168. Might be pushing it a tiny bit, but I think there are enough solid prospects and young players to fill that quota.

Of course, we would just keep track of the minor league rosters here. I don't think they should/could recieve any points for anything.

They wouldn't recieve points. That is the point. They would be in your farm system. Able to be called up (added to your roster at Yahoo) when needed.

Seabass
11-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Player transaction problem.
I thought I made what was a simple drop of (Jan Bullis) and pickup of (Ethan Moreau) and the system says two different things:
(a) it will take place 11/4 @ 11:59 and
(b) another message stating if this "waiver claim" is successful it will be reflected on your lineup for Thu, Nov 6.

Huh?
What's going on? Or, am I doing wrong? It's not any different from other transactions I've made.
Moreau was on waivers. You have to wait for your claim to go through.

Rowsdower
11-04-2003, 02:02 PM
The prospect draft and farm concepts seem like they could be a nice touch, and if we could get it going in a fair and orderly way I'm all for it....though I do think there should be some exceptions....take my team for example.....I would think its fair to remove Brown and Hamhuis as they were two guys added in with the swarm of prospects after the season started....however, I would think I should keep guys like Miller and Radulov, who were in the database when the initial draft was held....I honsetly have no clue where Trent Hunter would fall on this

Oh, and I think we are all in agreement to axe the move limit....I'm a bit suprised it's still around....if we are going to be dropping players, I'd say it should be eliminated ASAP...

KungFuPenguin
11-04-2003, 02:52 PM
2- Prospect draft. It will be hard to do one with players already picked, but if all in favor, I will be too. But it will be hard because some prospects were picked during the draft, while others, were picked later on, of waivers, which killed the waiver priority of those teams.

Could you explain exactly how this waiver priority works? I don't think I fully grasp it yet -- are you saying that those of us who've picked guys off of waivers have 'used up' our waiver picks?

Koltsov71
11-04-2003, 04:56 PM
I meant both, commish and moderator, on the pens board, AK has been MIA for a while now, where the hell is he? :dunno:

Agreed.

HFPHL is gonna run amok.

I think it has since it started.

DJ Spinoza
11-04-2003, 06:56 PM
They wouldn't recieve points. That is the point. They would be in your farm system. Able to be called up (added to your roster at Yahoo) when needed.
OK, that's fine. That's what I thought..
[QUOTE}

What's wrong with guys in the AHL? 12 x 14 = 168. Might be pushing it a tiny bit, but I think there are enough solid prospects and young players to fill that quota.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by this?:confused:

There are definitely not 168 players we could pick from without going into the AHL...But I think you just said we should go into the NHL.......

:confused:

Koltsov71
11-04-2003, 08:08 PM
No.. Never said or meant anything of the sort. The draft would cover all prospects.

kutdacheez
11-05-2003, 03:53 AM
Moreau was on waivers. You have to wait for your claim to go through.
I appreciate getting a response, Seabass (and Kotsov in the Yahoo messages) . . . but I still don't get it.

I made what I thought was a simple move. I dropped Jan Bullis and picked up Ethan Moreau. A move that was allowed any other time without a problem. Yet the Yahoo System wouldn't make the transaction . . . each day it stated the transaction would take place the next day.
Now this morning I see that the Edison Pumamen just picked up Ethan Moreau.

What the hey, eh. :confused:

kutdacheez
11-05-2003, 05:12 AM
I know that the prospect draft is getting front billing right now but personally I think the saying "when you are up to your ass in alligators it's tough to focus on the main objective of draining the swamp" comes in to play here right now.

Below is what I see as the problem with our league and suggestion to solve what I perceive is the root cause of the problem.
Because I am very new to this type of thing (I've never been in a fantasy league of any kind, and am learning new things each week) I have also listed a few of the mystery riddles that I see as still unsolved or unclear.

(1) Who is really functioning as the commissioner of this league? This is the biggest problem that we have, IMHO. If it is (AK) then, I suggest he tenure his immediate resignation (as commissioner) or suggest his removal and replacement by a recall vote. No personal offense intended (AK) but if you are not here (for whatever reason) the league has no leader.
Some of you may have thought that this already has taken place while others (like me) . . . I don't think so.
Stark, please don't take any of this as offense towards you either, but in my book two leaders equal no leader. I made comment of this at the beginning and it certainly has played out that way. My suggestion is as the first order of business of this league is to VOTE in a new leader (only one) and give that person whatever controls they need to run it with the attention and care expected and required by all the GM's.

However, to do that someone has to kick-off that vote process. And since I'm am not in the running for the commissioner position and have no vested interests other than having a league that has a set of rules and also gets the attention it deserves to make this fun . . . I suggest we select that new commissioner by doing it right here, right now . . . by posting your vote. Since I (for sure) wouldn't know anything about how to run the league . . . I'm just basically a mutiny virtuoso . . . I am not a candidate for that position. Stark, as the (acting second chair commissioner) I think you should be the one that does that by saying something official like: Let the voting begin.

Now, here is a list of other unresolved, mystery-type riddles (often discussed and suggestions offered up) things that I see need to be resolved as the first order of business decisions (for the new person)before we get involved in a prospect draft:

(2) The maximum moves in our league settings still remains at 30 . . . even though a lot of us thought this was lifted to be "unlimited." My suggestion is that it be changed to unlimited for the remainder of this season . . . and then examined again before the start of next season.

(3) The number of games required by the goalie has been changed. So we were actually able to make some adjustments . . . and although I am not sure the number of games required to play in a week should be three (3) . . . I think limiting it to one (1) wasn't the right answer, either. That was a rather knee-jerk decision. For example, not to make a travesty of this contest (and I mean that), I played a goalie last night, when I knew that I probably already had the majority of goalie stats by Cloutier playing one his one good game for the week. A possible solution could be allowing two goalies to be dressed for a game combined with a minimum of two games played (required) for the week. :dunno: I noticed that some GM's just didn't play their goalie if they had good stats already posted. Increasing the games to at least two and increasing the number of goalies per game "could" be a more appropriate decison.

(3) Along with the above moves . . . I checked into the "waiver thing" that seems hard to understand by not only me. Our waiver time is set at (3) days. In our league we have the option of setting that period anywhere from zero (0) to seven (7) days. Anyone can claim that player. The reason why Edison Pumamen was able to get Ethan Moreau from me is because: If more than one team claims the same player, the team that is highest on the Waiver Priority List is given the rights to the player. The priority list is initially set based on the reverse of the draft order. However, each time you add a waived player to your roster, you are pushed to the back of the list. This "rolling" list stays in effect for the entire season.
I have no problem with that ruling . . . except for the three days . . . it's simply just dumb IMHO and should be set to (0) or at the very highest (1) day. If nobody claims a player during the waiver period, he becomes a free agent. In a Private League with no waiver period, all dropped players automatically become free agents. That's what I suggest we do.

(4) Obviously, we could vote and vote and vote some more for everything so that we have a good group of happy campers. But, I would much rather have a commissioner make those decisions instead of having the rudderless ship we have now where the tendency is more to sway through a lack of equilibrium. We need an active commissioner, who without hesitation can make the league decisions whether we collectively like them, or not. Anyhow, one holding complete autocratic control makes it all the more fun because we then can then beat up and whip him violently and attack him verbally just like in the real world!

AEKaki
11-05-2003, 08:11 AM
I know that the prospect draft is getting front billing right now but personally I think the saying "when you are up to your ass in alligators it's tough to focus on the main objective of draining the swamp" comes in to play here right now.

Below is what I see as the problem with our league and suggestion to solve what I perceive is the root cause of the problem.
Because I am very new to this type of thing (I've never been in a fantasy league of any kind, and am learning new things each week) I have also listed a few of the mystery riddles that I see as still unsolved or unclear.

(1) Who is really functioning as the commissioner of this league? This is the biggest problem that we have, IMHO. If it is (AK) then, I suggest he tenure his immediate resignation (as commissioner) or suggest his removal and replacement by a recall vote. No personal offense intended (AK) but if you are not here (for whatever reason) the league has no leader.
Some of you may have thought that this already has taken place while others (like me) . . . I don't think so.
Stark, please don't take any of this as offense towards you either, but in my book two leaders equal no leader. I made comment of this at the beginning and it certainly has played out that way. My suggestion is as the first order of business of this league is to VOTE in a new leader (only one) and give that person whatever controls they need to run it with the attention and care expected and required by all the GM's.

However, to do that someone has to kick-off that vote process. And since I'm am not in the running for the commissioner position and have no vested interests other than having a league that has a set of rules and also gets the attention it deserves to make this fun . . . I suggest we select that new commissioner by doing it right here, right now . . . by posting your vote. Since I (for sure) wouldn't know anything about how to run the league . . . I'm just basically a mutiny virtuoso . . . I am not a candidate for that position. Stark, as the (acting second chair commissioner) I think you should be the one that does that by saying something official like: Let the voting begin.

Now, here is a list of other unresolved, mystery-type riddles (often discussed and suggestions offered up) things that I see need to be resolved as the first order of business decisions (for the new person)before we get involved in a prospect draft:

I have no problem choosing a new leader.
I was the one who came up with the idea of having a league, but I insisted that the best job that I could do is be the assistant commish, due to my university commitments. If AK cannot handle it as we speek, and wants to concentrate more on his studies, he could become an associate commish. Right now, as I see it, I would hand the commish duties to Koltsov71. He has earned it by his large commitment to this league and board. He's an active member and he's the "ideal" perfect commish that we could have. Like I said, I have no problems being his assistant. If you guys want a vote with more candidates, then we can start it in a couple of days.
BUT BUT BUT!
There's one problem.
AK will still be the "leader" this season because of Yahoo's system.
We cannot change commissioners on the site so AK would have to process/vetoe the trades, change the league settings/rules, ...

I am not sure how inactive he is, but I know that I have offered him a trade 2 weeks ago and it's still there (neither accepted neither rejected).

(2) The maximum moves in our league settings still remains at 30 . . . even though a lot of us thought this was lifted to be "unlimited." My suggestion is that it be changed to unlimited for the remainder of this season . . . and then examined again before the start of next season.

I trully support this opinion.
Actually we all do.
But I don't think AK knows how to change it because he's new at this.

(3) The number of games required by the goalie has been changed. So we were actually able to make some adjustments . . . and although I am not sure the number of games required to play in a week should be three (3) . . . I think limiting it to one (1) wasn't the right answer, either. That was a rather knee-jerk decision. For example, not to make a travesty of this contest (and I mean that), I played a goalie last night, when I knew that I probably already had the majority of goalie stats by Cloutier playing one his one good game for the week. A possible solution could be allowing two goalies to be dressed for a game combined with a minimum of two games played (required) for the week. :dunno: I noticed that some GM's just didn't play their goalie if they had good stats already posted. Increasing the games to at least two and increasing the number of goalies per game "could" be a more appropriate decison.

The minimum number of games should be set to 3, because of the same above reasons.

Actually I am also in favor of adding a 2nd starter in nets.

(3) Along with the above moves . . . I checked into the "waiver thing" that seems hard to understand by not only me. Our waiver time is set at (3) days. In our league we have the option of setting that period anywhere from zero (0) to seven (7) days. Anyone can claim that player. The reason why Edison Pumamen was able to get Ethan Moreau from me is because: If more than one team claims the same player, the team that is highest on the Waiver Priority List is given the rights to the player. The priority list is initially set based on the reverse of the draft order. However, each time you add a waived player to your roster, you are pushed to the back of the list. This "rolling" list stays in effect for the entire season.
I have no problem with that ruling . . . except for the three days . . . it's simply just dumb IMHO and should be set to (0) or at the very highest (1) day. If nobody claims a player during the waiver period, he becomes a free agent. In a Private League with no waiver period, all dropped players automatically become free agents. That's what I suggest we do.

I disagree with your last setence.
No, we will certainly not take out waivers.
Waivers is another "draft" but during the season.
This makes sure that every owner will have at least a fair chance of landing a player. I don't mind changing the number of days that a player stays on waivers but players that get released will certainly not become free agents that exact moment. That eliminates any chance of a trade via free agency and when a player gets added to the Yahoo database, it will give the owners a chance to look at him and ask to claim him. Now the team that claims him, will loose its priority and will be last until another waiver claim is made, ...

(4) Obviously, we could vote and vote and vote some more for everything so that we have a good group of happy campers. But, I would much rather have a commissioner make those decisions instead of having the rudderless ship we have now where the tendency is more to sway through a lack of equilibrium. We need an active commissioner, who without hesitation can make the league decisions whether we collectively like them, or not. Anyhow, one holding complete autocratic control makes it all the more fun because we then can then beat up and whip him violently and attack him verbally just like in the real world!

Very good.
I agree.
We can start the voting now for a new commissioner, but I think that we all agree that Koltsov71 is the man for the job.

kutdacheez
11-05-2003, 08:17 AM
I have no problem choosing a new leader.
Very good.
I agree.
We can start the voting now for a new commissioner, but I think that we all agree that Koltsov71 is the man for the job.

I am placing my vote in the box hoping I have more winners than I did in last night's elections where I went 2 fer 17!
I vote for Koltsov71 (the smarter brother of Koltsov47).

Koltsov71
11-05-2003, 09:23 AM
I have no problem with that ruling . . . except for the three days . . . it's simply just dumb IMHO and should be set to (0) or at the very highest (1) day.

I definitely agree with this.

DJ Spinoza
11-05-2003, 12:11 PM
No.. Never said or meant anything of the sort. The draft would cover all prospects.

OK, we're in agreeance then. My fault.

Seabass
11-05-2003, 01:11 PM
I appreciate getting a response, Seabass (and Kotsov in the Yahoo messages) . . . but I still don't get it.

I made what I thought was a simple move. I dropped Jan Bullis and picked up Ethan Moreau. A move that was allowed any other time without a problem. Yet the Yahoo System wouldn't make the transaction . . . each day it stated the transaction would take place the next day.
Now this morning I see that the Edison Pumamen just picked up Ethan Moreau.

What the hey, eh. :confused:
Most guys you pick up are Free Agents, but since Moreau was cut by someone soon before you picked him up, he was on Waivers. There's a specific time period (5 days, I think) in which you have to wait for him to clear. It's just to give everyone a chance at someone who just hit the market.

KungFuPenguin
11-05-2003, 01:40 PM
(3) The number of games required by the goalie has been changed. So we were actually able to make some adjustments . . . and although I am not sure the number of games required to play in a week should be three (3) . . . I think limiting it to one (1) wasn't the right answer, either.

I like three. I hate one. Three games is enough to make it worthwhile to have a great goalie (something my team certainly lacks). One game will make it much more of a lottery.

If more than one team claims the same player, the team that is highest on the Waiver Priority List is given the rights to the player. The priority list is initially set based on the reverse of the draft order. However, each time you add a waived player to your roster, you are pushed to the back of the list. This "rolling" list stays in effect for the entire season.

Thank you, I didn't know that. It's basically a queue system then.

We need an active commissioner, who without hesitation can make the league decisions whether we collectively like them, or not.

Very important point. Pick a single commish, give him ultimate authority on all league business, and make sure he's not afraid to use it. I'd rather have a bunch of decisions against my opinion than no decisions at all.

GoPenguins
11-05-2003, 02:07 PM
I agree with the point about goalies. However, it might be hard for teams to get the minimum requirement of 3 games a week if they only have one true starter and a bit time starter. Teams can easily do two, but getting three starts a week might start to be taxing on teams with rotating starters such as Minnesota, Detroit, NYI, Boston, Vancouver etc. Especially as it is sometimes hard to work out just which goalie is getting the start. I know I have been caught out a couple of times fielding a goalie who was not actually playing that night.

kutdacheez
11-05-2003, 02:57 PM
I agree with the point about goalies. However, it might be hard for teams to get the minimum requirement of 3 games a week if they only have one true starter and a bit time starter. Teams can easily do two, but getting three starts a week might start to be taxing on teams with rotating starters such as Minnesota, Detroit, NYI, Boston, Vancouver etc. Especially as it is sometimes hard to work out just which goalie is getting the start. I know I have been caught out a couple of times fielding a goalie who was not actually playing that night.
Why don't we comprimise on two games then?

BTW, nobody appears to be placing their vote.

AEKaki
11-05-2003, 04:26 PM
Screw 1 day, it should take place as soon as you pick up the player, i hate waiting to get my player in the lineup, its precious points i am wasting and same goes with the other guys.

Me and Stark had to wait a while to get our guys from our trade, that should have taken place asap.

Yes it did take a while to get our players.
But... We wouldn't have our players if there wasn't at least 1 day-waiver. First come first serve is the worst kind of settlement. Waivers give a fairness to this.
I honestly don't mind 1 day. But not 0.

Superstar Shane
11-05-2003, 05:42 PM
If it helps, I'll put in a vote for Koltsov71, but I don't think that will really help anything this year since AK has to make all the changes that Koltsov71 decides on.

And I like the idea of requiring 2 goalie starts per week.

But just so you guys are aware, there is a date where you can no longer make changes to the league. If we're going to change things (waiver period, minimum goalie starts, maximum moves) we'll have to do it soon.

Koltsov71
11-05-2003, 05:48 PM
Just looked.. The deadline is November 28th.

kutdacheez
11-06-2003, 03:35 AM
But just so you guys are aware, there is a date where you can no longer make changes to the league. If we're going to change things (waiver period, minimum goalie starts, maximum moves) we'll have to do it soon.

Well, I've reached my team's [can't make changes] already.
Apparently, all the tries when I was attempting to pick-up 'Moreau' were recorded as 'moves' . . . so until SOMEONE does something about the number of moves (30) my team is dead in the water.

It doesn't get much better than this . . . and if something isn't done SOON . . . I'll just personally chalk this up as just a very poor decision on my part to join an OJT league.

I'm not mad, I guess I'm more frustrated . . . basically just disappointed in people who make ineffectual efforts which have failed to meet the expectation or hope I had for this league. No matter how vigorous they may believe the attempts may have been, it reeks with unattention and indecision.

I'm guessing I'll be playing in a LURK MODE until something is done. :dunno: Hey, who really cares, eh?

Koltsov71
11-06-2003, 04:45 AM
Yeah, it says that you are at 30 moves right now. I'm at 26, so I had better make them worthwhile. Who only knows when it could get changed.

Koltsov71
11-06-2003, 04:55 AM
Also noticed that the Baldwin Bashers have not been setting there roster. :shakehead

I guess whoever plays them gets some free points.

Rowsdower
11-06-2003, 07:48 AM
Hey, Stark (I don't know if this has already been adressed) but can't you make some of these changes we've been wanting (mainly the moves limit)....you are one of the commishs too right? I haven't seen much of AK for quite some time, so God only knows when he will address them.....

Koltsov71
11-06-2003, 08:11 AM
He's been one of the commisioners of the league. But he has no powers at Yahoo. Only one person, the person who creates the league at Yahoo, has the power to edit those settings.

Rowsdower
11-06-2003, 01:40 PM
He's been one of the commisioners of the league. But he has no powers at Yahoo. Only one person, the person who creates the league at Yahoo, has the power to edit those settings.

Ok I see.....so in escence it's all up to Ak, who's been MIA as of late due to school.....as a fellow college student I understand that the workload can be killer, and it's tough to adjust to the chenge your first year....and while I do enjoy fantasy leagues and put time into them, my success in college is obviously more cruical than that in my leagues....however, I think it was a very bad move for AK to nominate himself knowing this and now due to his lack of availability our league will suffer from the inconveniences that have already been discussed to death....even with college, I don't see how one can't scan this thread and the yahoo site at least once in a few days....it really doesn't take that much time.....

Koltsov71
11-06-2003, 02:06 PM
Ok I see.....so in escence it's all up to Ak, who's been MIA as of late due to school.....as a fellow college student I understand that the workload can be killer, and it's tough to adjust to the chenge your first year....and while I do enjoy fantasy leagues and put time into them, my success in college is obviously more cruical than that in my leagues....however, I think it was a very bad move for AK to nominate himself knowing this and now due to his lack of availability our league will suffer from the inconveniences that have already been discussed to death....even with college, I don't see how one can't scan this thread and the yahoo site at least once in a few days....it really doesn't take that much time.....

I agree 100%.

AEKaki
11-06-2003, 05:03 PM
Hey, Stark (I don't know if this has already been adressed) but can't you make some of these changes we've been wanting (mainly the moves limit)....you are one of the commishs too right? I haven't seen much of AK for quite some time, so God only knows when he will address them.....

If I had power, I would of done it from the start.
I think I'm one of the first to complain about this.

AEKaki
11-06-2003, 05:04 PM

Me neither I don't understand.
I'm in mechanical engineering at concordia u. but I always have time to look at my favorite NHL team :) :teach:

I mean, I am sure he's studying and all, but he might not have a computer...

Superstar Shane
11-06-2003, 06:04 PM
In case no one has checked, AK's last post was on October 29th, almost a week ago.

Superstar Shane
11-06-2003, 08:25 PM
He is busy with school and i understand that, but we should get a replacement for HFPHL and HF Pens Board Mod, its not a knock on his performance, its just better for both HF and HFPHL.
Well that's not really what I was trying to say. It seems like he may be having some computer troubles or something.

Koltsov71
11-07-2003, 03:54 AM
His last activity on the boards was the 3rd, according to his profile.

Koltsov71
11-08-2003, 06:09 AM
Everyone in favor of doing a draft then? I can start to get it set up.

GoPenguins
11-08-2003, 08:59 AM
A draft works for me too. Do you plan on using the same guidelines that we used for the additional players draft? ie. If the team whose pick is up fails to pick in the deadline, we slide their picks until they do pick. I ask because I think there are 2-3 teams that might not be able to make their picks too regularly.

kutdacheez
11-08-2003, 11:11 AM
Everyone in favor of doing a draft then? I can start to get it set up.

Before I put a moment of energy into something else HOW ABOUT we first get some idea that there actually is going to be a league. Right now this is smelling like a crock of dung.

Koltsov71
11-08-2003, 08:26 PM
Fo Sheezy Kolteezy.

so around which day or week are we talkin about for the draft?

Well, I agree with kutdacheez's post right above yours. Until we see AK come around and change some rules around at Yahoo, it doesn't make much sense to move forward.

kutdacheez
11-11-2003, 05:33 AM
When we started this league it was to have (16) teams but a decision was made to cut it off at 14 because we three people wanting to participate. That should have been the first clue that our leader had a problem reversing a decision that turned out to be bad. Many of us were saying let them in . . . "make a freaking decision and just pick two of them.” I can't remember who it was but somebody even offered to drop out to accommodate the situation. But it fell on deaf ears.

When Koltsov and I pushed to get the second part of the draft going and I questioned where AK was, I was told directly by AK, "Don't EVER question where I was." So I don't. As a matter of fact I don't question where he is now . . . and don't quite care much, either. I'm sure if we ever do hear from him there will be a tragic or magnificent story attached to it. It, really, doesn't matter.

What we have is a league that is screwed up because three different GMs (one of them being the Commissioner) either don’t have the time or care to participate. It happens in all walks of life . . . STUFF HAPPENS . . . people get caught up in the wind, piss and excitement of wanting to do something but when it comes down to "honoring your commitment" or making a decision . . . . It’s just too tough on some to follow it through. When we all made a commitment to join this league and put time it we "trusted" that everyone else made that same commitment. Like I said STUFF HAPPENS.

Making decisions . . . (a little story)
- - - - -
A manager of a large corporation got a heart attack, and the
doctor told him to go for several weeks to a farm to relax.
The guy went to a farm, and after a couple of days he was
very bored, so he asked the farmer to give him some job to do.
The farmer told him to clean the "crap" of the cows. The farmer
thought that somebody coming from the city, working his
whole life sitting in an office, it will take over a week to finish
the job, but for his surprise the manager finished the job in
less than one day.
The next day the farmer gave to the manager a more difficult
job: to cut off the heads of 500 chickens. The farmer was sure
that the manager will not be able to do the job, but at the end
of the day the job was done.
The next morning, as most of the jobs in the farm were done,
the farmer asked the manager to divide a bag of potatoes in
two boxes: one box with small potatoes and one box with big potatoes.
At the end of the day the farmer saw that the manager was
sitting in front of the potatoes bag, but the two boxes were empty.
The farmer asked the manager: "How is that you could do such difficult
jobs during the first days and now you cannot do this simple job?"
The manager answered: "Listen, all my life I'm cutting heads and
dealing with "crap", but now you are asking me to make decisions."
- - - - -
The point is . . . it does not take much strength to do things, but it requires great strength to decide what to do.

In all walks of life there are people who are always looking out for themselves. To a certain degree there isn't anything wrong with that . . . but if you are always thinking about yourself, you'll rarely look out for anyone else and in a group environment all it takes is a few loose cannons that can't live up to a commitment participants that can spoil the experience of the others. I’m not claiming they mean any intentional harm . . . they just don’t understand "cause and effect" of their commitment.
So, what to do, eh?
As I see it there are two choices:
(1) Ride it out . . . but my personal experience says that riding a broken down pony will only break it down all the more. A few of us may see the problem but don't know what the "root cause solution" to that problem is.
(2) Do like those that "have chosen" not to participate. There are three of them. I don't like that avenue, either.
(3) Change things. Change sometimes upsets people but when change improves something those involved with the improvement . . . love it. I have also found that the best suggestions for change come from first being able to “visualize what the results should be” . . . then “work backwards” to the present. Once you find that "root cause of the problem" the solution to it can be seen by the village idiot.

Because (3) above is the only avenue I am willing to peruse I am offering-up what I see as the "root cause of the problem" and a "proposed" solution to that problem.

ROOT CAUSE:
We have a commissioner who can not, or will not participate and also have three GM's who don't even take the time to create a daily lineup. This leads to a gimmie (almost) when someone plays them and the "changes" and "attention" to daily league operations, by them, to be defunct. Whatever the reasons, you see, again, it doesn't matter in the slightest.

SOLUTION:
Very simple. We form a new league, which I think is very doable. I suggest we elect Koltsov as our commissioner and if he needs help I be happy to assist . . . because it would require the following:
(1) Freezing and keying in the rosters of the (14) teams. I'd volunteer to help key these in Koltsov if there is a way to do that . . . or maybe we each key in our own teams.
(2) Finding replacement GM's for three of the teams with no commitment. There were three people who wanted teams (that didn't get them) . . . I just don't recall who they were.
(3) We can still keep this current league going but IMHO it will just fade away because of the non-commitment of some involved. But the new league would be with players all committed to making it as close to being a GM as possible and making the NHL that more enjoyable. This concept, with the right people is pretty decent.

What say you?

KungFuPenguin
11-11-2003, 07:26 AM
First of all, I am absolutely amazed by your posting stamina cheez. You're like the Al Pacino of the Penguins Board. The little executive on a farm story sounded right out of a hollywood drama script.

So the proposal is to start a new league using the same rosters and making it exclusive to people who have shown an active interest in the current, malfunctioning league.

Unless there is some other way to salvage the current operation -- and frankly, even I am starting to doubt there is -- I'm all for it.

It'd be sorta kinda like a rebuilding process. Let's just make sure we have an able and experienced mentor or two to oversee the commish activities. :D

DJ Spinoza
11-11-2003, 07:44 AM
Why is Koltsov71 listed as a guest? Is the board having problems again?

GoPenguins
11-11-2003, 01:35 PM
The league idea in concept is a lot of fun and certainly has me pay a lot more attention to games and teams I'd not usually watch/check. Having a full league with active GMs would only improve the experience. I dont mind which course of action is taken, but hopefully we can all work out something, be it overhauling the current league, or AK getting to spend more time as commish, or whether we rebuild/reshape into a new league.

I think a few of the teams would give serious reconsideration as to just how important goalies are for their team. They single handedly count for a heck of a lot of categories. With 30 NHL teams, hopefully every team manages to end up with two starting NHL goalies ontheir roster.

Rowsdower
11-13-2003, 01:31 PM
I don't get how Yahoo calculates point to make the score, cuz it seems as though even the guys that aren't dressed can earn you points that count.

That's a lil odd to me, unless i'm totally wrong here. :dunno:

Benched players don't earn you points.....if they did, I wouldn't have been kicking myself for benching Vasicek several weeks back......

kutdacheez
11-19-2003, 04:47 AM
Okay guys, are we going to pull the mutiny, or not?

Koltsov??? What say you? Do you want to try and make a go of it or not? You seem like the only one who hasn't said yes to doing it.

I think it is quite obvious that our commissioner has either:
(a) been at a three-week rave . . . partying down with his new college boys,
(b) kidnapped,
(c) hazed, or
(d) passed away.

Whatever, it really doesn't matter. What we really know is that this task was light-years ahead of him . . . so, I say we get on with the task of creating the new league.

I am also suggesting that we eliminate the three GM's who don't participate much, can't set their rosters, etc. And, see if we want to include some other new GM's to take their place.

Here's my suggestion for ACTION:

(1) Koltsov . . . set up the new league within Yahoo.

(2) After setup, each GM would be required to load their teams as is. And Koltsov, I'm volunteering you to load the three teams we will eliminate. Hopefully, we can get three people who want to take over those teams. They aren't so bad . . . it's just that those three GM's don't participate. We should have realized that during the draft.

It shouldn't take about 30 minutes for everyone to load their roster. And the games could begin.

(3) I see the GM's as being the following:
(a) LAVAL TITANS - Stark
(b) POCONO BLACK DEATH - Seabass
(c) STOCKHOLM FERRETS - Kung Fu
(d) BERLIN BLADES - Pens4Ever
(e) ALBANY VENOM - GoPenguins
(f) VAN CITY WARRIORS - Scarface
(g) NORTH HILLS NAILERS - asab
(h) JEFFERSON MORONS - MrKnowNothing
(i) SOUTHSIDE SMARTFELLERS - KutdaCheez
(j) BUTLER FIENDS - Koltsov
(k) EDISON PUMAMEN - Rowsdower

That means that we would eliminate BALDWIN BASHERS, BURLINGTON NUGS and the BETHEL PARK PHANTOMS. No offense guys, but your participation in this has been anything but spirited. Whatever your reason . . . not being able to set a lineup is not in the spirit of the original commitment to this process. I say off with your heads. Unless you can very quickly . . . let's say within 24 hours can convince this league otherwise. That should be fair IMHO.

My suggestion is that we get (at a minimum) one player to take their pick of the three teams. It would be nice to get three new GMs, however.

Koltsov . . . this mutiny is now in your hands. You either want to take the lead, or you don't. I believe everyone has given their personal Okay to move on with this, right?

I think we have, anyhow.

Plan 9
11-19-2003, 05:21 AM
There is one major flaw in your plan there. Registration at Yahoo has been closed for the year, and no more leagues can be set up.

Plan 9
11-19-2003, 05:25 AM
That means that we would eliminate BALDWIN BASHERS, BURLINGTON NUGS and the BETHEL PARK PHANTOMS. No offense guys, but your participation in this has been anything but spirited. Whatever your reason . . . not being able to set a lineup is not in the spirit of the original commitment to this process.

Add JEFFERSON MORONS to that list. I can't remember the last time his lineup was set. Looks like I'll be getting some free points this week.

kutdacheez
11-19-2003, 06:55 AM
Add JEFFERSON MORONS to that list. I can't remember the last time his lineup was set. Looks like I'll be getting some free points this week.
Do we have to do it in Yahoo? Aren't there other places? :dunno:

Plan 9
11-19-2003, 09:04 AM
None that I know of that are as good as Yahoo. Or as free as Yahoo.

GoPenguins
11-19-2003, 02:39 PM
If we are unable to enact any of the fine suggestions or alternatives offered by fellow peers kutdacheez and koltsov, I guess we are resigned to finishing up this season and perhaps put it down to experience. We can take steps to ensure the next season (if there is one of course) is vastly different and improved over this one.

DJ Spinoza
11-19-2003, 02:57 PM
Want me out of the league because I've been busy as heck the past two weekends and couldn't do lineups for any of my teams at all?

I'm Jefferson Morons. If you want me out, fine.

Plan 9
11-20-2003, 07:05 AM
Whoa man, settle down, just start doing your lines more often...like instead of posting, do ur lines first then post a message on hfboards...don't go crackerjack on us.

Stay in the league.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Wasn't a personal attack.

kutdacheez
11-20-2003, 10:28 AM
Yeah, that's what I meant. Wasn't a personal attack.

Hmmmm? Smells like a turtle-job . . . a little Steve Webb . . . now apoligize , kiss and make up like a real man.

DJ Spinoza
11-20-2003, 11:45 AM
Sorry Koltsov, I wasn't having a good day yesterday...

Usually I do all my stuff on Sunday, but I have been very busy the past two weeks and haven't done jack for any of my leagues.

I did way too many this year.

Plan 9
11-20-2003, 11:50 AM
Hmmmm? Smells like a turtle-job . . . a little Steve Webb . . . now apoligize , kiss and make up like a real man.

And people tell me that I chime in too much. ;)

Plan 9
11-20-2003, 11:51 AM
Sorry Koltsov, I wasn't having a good day yesterday...

Usually I do all my stuff on Sunday, but I have been very busy the past two weeks and haven't done jack for any of my leagues.

I did way too many this year.

No problem man.. I know what it's like taking on too many leagues.

AEKaki
11-24-2003, 09:26 AM
Hey guys,
sorry for the inactivity on the HFBoards...
I am active in the league though, because I set up my lineup in advance to avoid any mistakes (benching players that get points).
My final exams are approaching, the only thing that will change is the fact that I won't be posting as often, but I will be around as much as i can.

As for the solutions that Team Smartfellers proposed on our league's page:
-I think it is too late to create a new THIS YEAR. I give the GO to eliminate the 3 teams you proposed, and to re-evaluate every team from a activity standpoint every year.
-As assistant commish, I will announce that I won't want to be commish of the league due to my university commitment, but I will want to, if it's ok with everyone, to continue my assistant commish job... but this time with a new commish, in Koltsov71.
-I fully hand the power to the rules of the league to Koltsov, he has the upper hand starting now. I will be there to support him and to give my opinion.

I am sure something is not Ok in AK's world because University is not THAT much consuming. I admit that there's alot of studying to be done, but going out and following your favorite team/sport and leagues is also very possible. IMO all of my mechanical engineering department is in fantasy hockey leagues, including some of the proffessors ehehehe. I hope he's alright though and we will miss him.

As for Phantoms, i am very suprised that he's one of the inactive teams.

Anyways, things like this happen all the time. But most of our teams are active and that helps this league progress with time. Guys this year is a first, let's not judge our commitment with the first year. Like we all know:
IT WILL GET BETTER WITH TIME! We learn from our mistakes.

AEKaki
11-24-2003, 09:27 AM
Guys, by the way,
the best way to reach me during my exams is by email:
starkouklos@yahoo.com

Plan 9
11-24-2003, 11:03 AM
Just a couple more days, and the league settings can no longer be changed.

Considering I have one move left to make before I hit thirty, I'd say that I'm royally screwed.

GoPenguins
11-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Just as a longshot, but does Yahoo offer a helpline email for situations where outside control is needed to regain control of a league? I have to imagine that Yahoo must occasionally get requests from leagues who either wish to switch commishes, or kick out an ineffective or absent commish, or override the current incumbent commish and perhaps grant commish powers to another team in the league?

It seems really odd to imagine only the commish (AK) can alter league settings. Surely Yahoo will have some contingency plan and have access?

GoPenguins
11-24-2003, 01:26 PM
I sent an email to Yahoo Hockey Customer Care to sound them out to see if they have any ideas as to what to do when a commissioner is absent and duties are unfortunately neglected.

I doubt it'll work but it is worth a shot.

Plan 9
11-24-2003, 01:31 PM
I sent an email to Yahoo Hockey Customer Care to sound them out to see if they have any ideas as to what to do when a commissioner is absent and duties are unfortunately neglected.

I doubt it'll work but it is worth a shot.

Excellent idea, GoPenguins. I couldn't find where to contact anyone about it. Glad you did though. Although as you said, the chances of it working are small. But at least it's something.

GoPenguins
11-25-2003, 01:58 PM
Excellent idea, GoPenguins. I couldn't find where to contact anyone about it. Glad you did though. Although as you said, the chances of it working are small. But at least it's something.

Sadly that idea bombed.

Here is their reply:

"Hello,

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Fantasy Sports.

It is not possible to share or transfer Commissioner Tools between
Yahoo! IDs. Only the manager who created the league can access
Commissioner Tools.

Regards,

Yahoo! Customer Care"

Guess we're outa luck. :madfire:

Plan 9
11-25-2003, 02:08 PM
Figured that would be the reply. Good effort and idea nonetheless, GoPenguins.

Guess there is always next season. And even that isn't a certainty. :mad:

KungFuPenguin
11-27-2003, 05:07 PM
So, what's the general opinion on the current leage? How many of you guys are planning on following it to season's end? We've already got a couple of GMs who are inactive, and if this project is just going to get disbanded after the current season, seems there's little incentive to keep setting lines, especially if more people are losing interest and out of moves.

No hard feelings if you do either -- I'd just rather know now. But if most people still want to play this league, I'll play along too, if nothing else than to make sure my team isn't any more of a free win than it is already; but if we're going to start a new one next season I can't really see the point.

That said, despite all the problems, I for one certainly took a substantial amount of pleasure in learning the ropes with this league, and still hold high hopes for a new league next time around -- if there's any NHL left by then, I guess.

Plan 9
11-27-2003, 06:38 PM
I'll still be setting my roster, for sure. More for pride than anything else really. Like you said, so that my team isn't anymore of a free win that it is.

If there is an NHL next season, I'd be all for helping to set up a new (and better) HF Penguins league.

AEKaki
11-27-2003, 09:00 PM
Just get the pass from AK and do it, but SINCE HE's NOWHERE TO BE FOUND...its pointless.

Its time we get a new moderator, relinquish AK of his duties, its been what, a month now?

Guys,
he's on MSN,
but he's not answering to my messages.
He changes his name, so I am sure he's still ok...
No idea though why he won't answer...
There's another way to change the transactions.
If HE, again, would wake up, he can go and put 0 transactions to every team who has allowed him to access its team.
Hopefully he's wake up soon.

DJ Spinoza
11-27-2003, 09:35 PM
With tons of other teams, I'll be doing my lineups on Sundays if I have time.

I say we just start a new one next year.

GoPenguins
11-27-2003, 10:00 PM
I'll still be setting my roster, for sure. More for pride than anything else really. Like you said, so that my team isn't anymore of a free win that it is.

If there is an NHL next season, I'd be all for helping to set up a new (and better) HF Penguins league.

If nothing else, this has been a learning experience. Its given some of us an insight into how the league works, the drafting system, waiver wire etc. We also know not to limit transactions and also to draft a full team when we plan to do the draft. We also have a good base GM pool. Of course, we'll have plenty of time to work out whether we try a farm team idea too.

kutdacheez
11-28-2003, 05:08 AM
So, what's the general opinion on the current league?
There is an old proverb that goes like this: No experiment is ever a complete failure . . . for it can always be used as a bad example. This league is very obviously FUBAR. Although, I think we have also found the exception to the well known and widely accepted Peter's Principle . . . because some people are incompetent before they begin their rise.

How many of you guys are planning on following it to season's end? We've already got a couple of GMs who are inactive, and if this project is just going to get disbanded after the current season, seems there's little incentive to keep setting lines, especially if more people are losing interest and out of moves.
I am going to continue . . . for no other reason than I made the commitment to do so. To say that the fun of this went down the toilet a few weeks ago, for me, would be an understatement. To talk about the individual who "punked us" in this effort serves no purpose anymore, either.

No hard feelings if you do either -- I'd just rather know now. But if most people still want to play this league, I'll play along too, if nothing else than to make sure my team isn't any more of a free win than it is already; but if we're going to start a new one next season I can't really see the point.
Short of forming a vigilante committee . . . nothing will save this season. However, I think that another league next year (invitation only :dunno: ) incorporating the basic concepts that many of us have discussed in various posts could make this a pretty decent competition league.

That said, despite all the problems, I for one certainly took a substantial amount of pleasure in learning the ropes with this league, and still hold high hopes for a new league next time around -- if there's any NHL left by then, I guess.
So this is a first one for you too . . . Kung-Fu. I thought I was the only virgin contestant! Personally, the whole concept as initially presented never took place and IMHO the new league should start with a new draft with the entire format, rules and the overall objective presented before the draft would start.
I'm voting for Koltsov to head things up and possibly kick this into play around early August 2004. Until then, I've removed Burlington, ON off my list of places I'm likely to ever visit, without a rope. :mad:

Plan 9
11-28-2003, 06:26 AM
Would most of you guys want to keep the rules more or less as is?

An option would be to make it more in depth like the one I run. RFA, UFA, Entry Drafts, and all the good stuff.

I know it's a long time away, just kicking some stuff around.

GoPenguins
11-28-2003, 09:03 AM
Would most of you guys want to keep the rules more or less as is?

An option would be to make it more in depth like the one I run. RFA, UFA, Entry Drafts, and all the good stuff.

I know it's a long time away, just kicking some stuff around.

Perhaps we can make a sticky thread to replace this one strictly for ideas and proposals for the new and improved HF Penguins Hockey League. I like a lot of the set up for the league, so am happy keeping that. I do feel we need to have two goalie slots, and also feel we should have the goalies having to play at least 2 starts a week for their stats to count.

Do we want to keep the same scoring categories? I must admit I quite like some of the other categories such as shots on goal and faceoffs. We have PIM as a category which rewards and encourages teams to play enforcers and players who like to mix it up. Perhaps it would be nice to have the faceoff winners and shooters getting their stat to shine in.

Can you elaborate a little about your other league, Koltsov? How would RFA, UFA and Entry Drafts work in this league setting?

Plan 9
11-28-2003, 09:57 AM
The other Yahoo league rules are:

Max. Number of Teams: 20
Maximum Players on a Team: 30
Maximum Moves: No maximum
Maximum Trades: No maximum
Scoring Type: Point-based League
Waiver Time: 0 days
Last Trade Date: Wednesday, March 10
Trade Reject Time: 2 days
Maximum Games: No maximum
Roster Changes: Daily
Starting Positions: F, F, F, F, F, F, F, F, F, F, F, F, D, D, D, D, D, D, G, G, IR, IR, IR, IR, IR

Statistical Categories (Forwards/Defenseman):
Goals (5)
Assists (3)
Plus/Minus (1)
Penalty Minutes (1)
Powerplay Goals (3)
Shorthanded Goals (4)
Game-Winning Goals (3)
Game-Tying Goals (1)
Shots on Goal (0.5)

Statistical Categories (Goalies):
Wins (6)
Losses (-1)
Ties (1)
Shutouts (12)

---------------------------------------------------------

The scoring system in mine is different from the one we are in. That league is a point-based scoring system (which I prefer), and the HF league is a head-to-head scoring system.

DJ Spinoza
11-28-2003, 09:58 AM
Here's the thing guys, I don't know if you realize this or not...

Yahoo Fantasy Hockey is a free thing. Because of that, it is very basic. There really are no options for UFA's, RFA's, Entry Drafts and all of that, so to do that stuff would mean organizing it outside of the league. Just so you know...

I will continue to do my lineups as best as I can. Doing lineups for this league is really a hassle at this point, because of the way it is set up. No offense to AK when he reads this, but I think our commissioner should have been someone who has played Yahoo Fantasy Hockey before because they know the ins and outs of it better.

We did finally get bigger teams, but the problem is that we still don't have many roster spots for play each night. It is much, much better and much easier if you have maybe only 2 or 3 bench spots, because the lineups and switches you have to make are not complicated at all, so you can concentrate on other aspects of your team.

It also brings more strategy because you have to draft bigger teams that play every night, meaning you have to be able to get at least decent players for your spots, rather than just splitting up all of the good players between every team. It takes a better GM to draft a bigger team.

Just a few thoughts I've had pent up since the troubles in this league began.

Plan 9
11-28-2003, 10:03 AM
Can you elaborate a little about your other league, Koltsov? How would RFA, UFA and Entry Drafts work in this league setting?

There are a couple more ways to make it more interesting. One would simply be to keep track of player salaries and have a salary cap. One of my leagues is like that.

As far as how UFA and RFA work in the other one, we started out with all NHL contracts as they were at the moment (including both amount and duration). When a players contract is over, they would obviously be either a RFA or UFA (we use 31 years of age as the cutoff point). We have an RFA committee to whom the GM's submit their offers. If the player is a UFA when his contract is up, he would go into the UFA pool just like in the NHL and GM's would be able to bid on his services.

Entry draft is pretty self explanatory.. All players that are eligible for that draft year can be selected. Every round goes in the opposite order of the final standings.

Some of these ideas, I think, could possibly be a bit too complicated or time consuming. But just throwing out some options.

Plan 9
11-28-2003, 10:05 AM
Here's the thing guys, I don't know if you realize this or not...

Yahoo Fantasy Hockey is a free thing. Because of that, it is very basic. There really are no options for UFA's, RFA's, Entry Drafts and all of that, so to do that stuff would mean organizing it outside of the league. Just so you know...

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I assumed most would know. All the extra fluffy stuff would be kept track of on another website outside of Yahoo.

KungFuPenguin
11-28-2003, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I assumed most would know. All the extra fluffy stuff would be kept track of on another website outside of Yahoo.

Yahoo is the only viable option then? No other free leagues available with better features?

The rookie problem will surely turn up again, for instance, and Yahoo is exclusively head-to-head, seemingly the least preferable format, correct?

Do you have any experience with running a Yahoo league and keeping separate track of budgets, contracts and such? For a novice like me, it sounds awfully complicated.

Just for curiosity's sake: how expensive are the full-fledged, whistles-and-bells, spoiler-and-airdam leagues?

Robert Paulson*
11-28-2003, 04:46 PM
Yahoo is the only viable option then? No other free leagues available with better features?

The rookie problem will surely turn up again, for instance, and Yahoo is exclusively head-to-head, seemingly the least preferable format, correct?

Do you have any experience with running a Yahoo league and keeping separate track of budgets, contracts and such? For a novice like me, it sounds awfully complicated.

Just for curiosity's sake: how expensive are the full-fledged, whistles-and-bells, spoiler-and-airdam leagues?

With Yahoo fantasy leagues you can choose head-to-head, Rotisserie (sp.), and Point-based. For the rookie thing, you guys would have to have a prospect draft BEFORE the season starts. Or better yet, if you were to start from scratch, get 20 teams (Yahoo max..) together that are based on the real NHL teams, and have a prospect and player disperal draft with a collection of the remaining 10 teams. That's my only idea.

Yeah, Koltsov is member of the board of directors (5 members that make league decisions together, other 15 have a say as well though) in the league that he and I are in (the league he's been talking about in here), and it's this is the 2nd season after re-format (3rd if you count the year where the league was run by a single tyrant, bleck), it's running great. We have a separate site on proboards.com, where you can set up a free forum. We keep track of rosters, trades, RFA, UFA.. you name it. Everything but the actual fantasy part is on there. It's a lot of fun. He's in a bunch of other leagues I'm not in too, he'd have to answer you there.

Yahoo is the best free FHL they have that I've seen.

AEKaki
11-28-2003, 05:16 PM
Alright.
So let's see.

Who's in?
Who's out?

Koltsov, the scoring system that we have is the only one that has head-to-head action and playoffs. Sadly, Yahoo doesn't offer the head-to-head scoring system to hockey that it offers to football. If it was that case, it would of been an excellent scoring system.

For the lineup.
I would go with what you had proposed before this season.
I would go with 9 F, 3 Util and 6 Dmen. The Util position is where you can put your 4th line (forwards or dmen).

As for the goalies, it would be nice to have at least 2 or 3 apperances per week minimum as a rule and obviously the Transactions number should be at the maximum. Honestly, I do like my team. I do have Fleury. I am first. But I wouldn't mind starting all over if everyone votes for that. We should create a commitee of 3-4 people, including 1 commish. They would vote for rules and whether to process or vetoe trades. They should be dedicated to the league. Koltsov, you're the man for the commish. You'll be able to choose those 3 if you'd like, or we can have a vote.

Honestly, like i said in my previous post, this season is not dead yet.
If AK actually decides to come back, which I honestly don't understand why he's not here (I have 4 finals in th enext 3 weeks including 4 semester reports, but I still check my lineups). Anyways, he can still fix something. He can go change the number of transactions that each team did to 0.

AK, come back. I know you're reading these posts. AT LEAST do this.
In order for him to do this, everyone should put YES for "Allow the commish to edit ur team".

Robert Paulson*
11-28-2003, 05:31 PM
Who's in?
Who's out?

If there's going to be an open space, I might be interested (might because I don't know if I will have time, but likely will as it will be summertime).

If it is going to have as much chaos as this one seems to have, I don't want to join, but it should be much better with Koltsov as commish. :)

Plan 9
11-28-2003, 09:41 PM
The rookie problem will surely turn up again

No, it would not..

Yahoo is exclusively head-to-head, seemingly the least preferable format, correct?

I think someone already addressed this comment, but Yahoo offers a couple different scoring system options.

Do you have any experience with running a Yahoo league and keeping separate track of budgets, contracts and such?

Yep.

Alex Kovalev
11-28-2003, 11:29 PM
Alright.
So let's see.

Who's in?
Who's out?

Koltsov, the scoring system that we have is the only one that has head-to-head action and playoffs. Sadly, Yahoo doesn't offer the head-to-head scoring system to hockey that it offers to football. If it was that case, it would of been an excellent scoring system.

For the lineup.
I would go with what you had proposed before this season.
I would go with 9 F, 3 Util and 6 Dmen. The Util position is where you can put your 4th line (forwards or dmen).

As for the goalies, it would be nice to have at least 2 or 3 apperances per week minimum as a rule and obviously the Transactions number should be at the maximum. Honestly, I do like my team. I do have Fleury. I am first. But I wouldn't mind starting all over if everyone votes for that. We should create a commitee of 3-4 people, including 1 commish. They would vote for rules and whether to process or vetoe trades. They should be dedicated to the league. Koltsov, you're the man for the commish. You'll be able to choose those 3 if you'd like, or we can have a vote.

Honestly, like i said in my previous post, this season is not dead yet.
If AK actually decides to come back, which I honestly don't understand why he's not here (I have 4 finals in th enext 3 weeks including 4 semester reports, but I still check my lineups). Anyways, he can still fix something. He can go change the number of transactions that each team did to 0.

AK, come back. I know you're reading these posts. AT LEAST do this.
In order for him to do this, everyone should put YES for "Allow the commish to edit ur team".

Hey guys, sorry about these past couple of weeks. I dont want to give you guys a bunch of excuses for me not being around the past few weeks. Lately I havent had the time for the things I enjoy anymore; this board, fantasy leagues you name it, I havent had the time for it. In school I either study, sleep, or party. Thats pretty much my schedule. I am into exams now and its make or break time as far as marks are concerned. Its my first year and I am still finding it hard to adjust. I am settling down a bit and starting to get back into hockey. Lets try adn get this straightened out here. Sorry again guys. Hopefully there are no hard feelings.

kutdacheez
11-29-2003, 04:34 AM
Hey guys, sorry about these past couple of weeks. I dont want to give you guys a bunch of excuses for me not being around the past few weeks. In school I either study, sleep, or party.
Always nice to know that PARTYING was so high on your personal agenda of committments.

Hopefully there are no hard feelings.
Hopes and wishes are the echo of a lazy will. From me (personally) and I am not trying to represent anyone else . . . put it in your left ear.

Plan 9
11-29-2003, 08:12 AM
Hopes and wishes are the echo of a lazy will. From me (personally) and I am not trying to represent anyone else . . . put it in your left ear.

I second that.

DJ Spinoza
11-29-2003, 10:12 PM
Not to be an idiot here, but kutdacheez, that was dumb.

AK was here, you should have laid out what needs to be done. Save the other crap for later, because almost everyone feels the same way here.

AK, first off, change the maximum move limit to no maximum. That's something we really need done, more than anything else. It can salvage this season really.

Also, it'd be nice if instead of the big benches we had a lot more players active every night. It makes for a more challenging game, and is also less time consuming to do rosters which gives you more time to organize other things.

Geez I hope AK sees this...Why complain? There's all year to do that...We still have time to fix the options at least, yet the only thing to do is complain.

Save the big responses too. I'm just as frustrated as most of you, but we need to get stuff done, not bicker.

KungFuPenguin
11-30-2003, 03:48 AM
No, it would not..

Care to elaborate? Wouldn't we see the same problem again in any given season, where several key prospects, high draft pick worthy players, are not included in the Yahoo database?

Maybe you are simply referring to the prospect draft workaround?

I think someone already addressed this comment, but Yahoo offers a couple different scoring system options.

My apologies, I must've missed it. Good news, in any case.

kutdacheez
11-30-2003, 05:29 AM
Not to be an idiot here, but kutdacheez, that was dumb. AK was here, you should have laid out what needs to be done. Save the other crap for later, because almost everyone feels the same way here.
Just in case you've recently been sleep'n, study'n and/or party'n or just in a time warp, MrKnowNothing . . . there are a ton of posts within this string (and in the League's Messages) suggesting, asking, begging for the limit to be changed . . . along with a few other mod requests in regard to number of games for the goalies. Do you really think that asking again is the answer? :shakehead
All I did was express my feeling for him to stick his apology in his left ear. Especially when it came based on he had time to do his party'n but not take the 30 minutes to fix even ONE thing.
AK, first off, change the maximum move limit to no maximum. That's something we really need done, more than anything else. It can salvage this season really.
Would you personally consider this request to more repetitive or more redundant in nature?

Geez I hope AK sees this...Why complain?
I don't recall seeing a complaint. All I said was for him to stick his apology in his left ear. Believe when I say, I really think I was under control.

We still have time to fix the options at least, yet the only thing to do is complain.
??????? Let us see how your approach works, eh? :dunno: Maybe you have something here!

I'm just as frustrated as most of you, but we need to get stuff done, not bicker.
The only bickering I noticed is coming from you. In this post. BTW, save your big responses, too! :)

kutdacheez
11-30-2003, 06:06 AM

I don't any any problem with the heads-ups format and I think we can also keep track of all the other stuff by setting up a separate site.

A couple suggestions (for the new league) I would like you all to consider:
(1) Consider expansion to (16) teams. There certainly are some people on the boards who would make for interesting GM's. Don't you think?

(2) Keeping the roster size the same as what is now but why not consider lowering the number of players that PLAY each night? For example, (please excuse the thinking on the fly here) . . . but suppose that we could only dress three lines . . . three (LW, C and RW's) and only four defensemen. It sure would make you think a little more about who was dressing and when. Possibly, it could be only be two lines that you dress! Right now it really isn't much of a challege to fill the spaces on the roster and it doesn't really present THAT MANY decisions to make. The goaltenders, because you can only play one presents a whole different challenge. I know this week I've made three (wrong selections) in regard to my goalie selection.

Let me give an example: I'm loaded with RW's . . . If my choice is to dress (four of) Bondra, Sykora, Bertuzzi, Buchberger, Lindros, Wright or Fitzgerald on a particular night the decision is fairly easy. But if it was limited to selecting three (or just two) all of a sudden the game would take on a whole new prospective and the "contestant" would not only be a GM (during the draft, trades and player moves) but also be more of a coach deciding who would dress and who would sit . . . rather than making it so automatic.

I know this week I have really screwed-up my goalie selections to the Edison Pumamen's delight. I figure he's laughing his AO at my err in judgement this week.

Just some food for thought . . . you know, guys we have over nine months to put this together so I think throwing out the ideas . . . not flushing them down the toilet right away is the best way to go about this. Including what Kung-Fu asked about . . . exploring OTHER places (besides YAHOO) to set up the league.

Plan 9
11-30-2003, 06:51 AM
Care to elaborate? Wouldn't we see the same problem again in any given season, where several key prospects, high draft pick worthy players, are not included in the Yahoo database?

I thought you were referring to the problem wherein all the GM's made a mad dash to claim the prospects once they were added to the database. In next year's league, that wouldn't be an issue.

But in regards to Yahoo missing some high profile prospects at the beginning of the season, yes that is likely to happen again (and again). It usually takes them a week or two to get everything worked out.

Plan 9
11-30-2003, 06:56 AM
AK was here, you should have laid out what needs to be done.

As if that hasn't been done a million times before?

The deadline to edit league settings has passed already.

Also, it'd be nice if instead of the big benches we had a lot more players active every night. It makes for a more challenging game, and is also less time consuming to do rosters which gives you more time to organize other things.

The deadline to edit league settings has passed already. And I think what we have is just fine in regards to active players.

GoPenguins
11-30-2003, 07:12 AM
I don't any any problem with the heads-ups format and I think we can also keep track of all the other stuff by setting up a separate site.

A couple suggestions (for the new league) I would like you all to consider:
(1) Consider expansion to (16) teams. There certainly are some people on the boards who would make for interesting GM's. Don't you think?

(2) Keeping the roster size the same as what is now but why not consider lowering the number of players that PLAY each night? For example, (please excuse the thinking on the fly here) . . . but suppose that we could only dress three lines . . . three (LW, C and RW's) and only four defensemen. It sure would make you think a little more about who was dressing and when. Possibly, it could be only be two lines that you dress! Right now it really isn't much of a challege to fill the spaces on the roster and it doesn't really present THAT MANY decisions to make. The goaltenders, because you can only play one presents a whole different challenge. I know this week I've made three (wrong selections) in regard to my goalie selection.

Let me give an example: I'm loaded with RW's . . . If my choice is to dress (four of) Bondra, Sykora, Bertuzzi, Buchberger, Lindros, Wright or Fitzgerald on a particular night the decision is fairly easy. But if it was limited to selecting three (or just two) all of a sudden the game would take on a whole new prospective and the "contestant" would not only be a GM (during the draft, trades and player moves) but also be more of a coach deciding who would dress and who would sit . . . rather than making it so automatic.

I know this week I have really screwed-up my goalie selections to the Edison Pumamen's delight. I figure he's laughing his AO at my err in judgement this week.

Just some food for thought . . . you know, guys we have over nine months to put this together so I think throwing out the ideas . . . not flushing them down the toilet right away is the best way to go about this. Including what Kung-Fu asked about . . . exploring OTHER places (besides YAHOO) to set up the league.

Kutdacheez's idea is interesting, as it does force a GM to consider who might have the hotter hand, the easier opponent etc. The problem with a much reduced number of players being dressed each night is it becomes more time consuming, and teams can really suffer badly if they are unable to do a roster lineup for one particular night. With MrKnowNothing's idea, it still allows for some work, but also allows a team to run effectively on autopilot more often. If the bench is only 4 players or so, it would mean that not much roster tweaking is needed.

Personally, I'd like to see something similar to what we have now, but perhaps instead of 4 C, 4 RW, 4 LW, 6 D and 1 G, have 3 C, 3 RW, 3 LW, 6 D, 1 G, and 4 Util (this slot can be filled by any outfield player and so would help teams who have a zillion RW but barely 4 LW).

I think something like this would still give a challenge for teams and force them to make roster moves and decisions, whilst the addition of the Utility slot allows them to play their 4th or 5th RW who might be eons better than a 4th LW or C.

I also like the slots for SOG and Faceoffs Won, as it could force a team to choose between playing a 4th C (who likely will get faceoff wins) or a winger (who likely may get more shots) or a defenseman (who is not likely to win many faceoffs or get too many shots on goal). Choosing to pick 3 extra C in the utility slots to try and get that the lead in the faceoff wins category or deciding to play the reliable stay at home defensemen to keep your +/- lead, or adding a couple of wingers to perhaps improve your shots on goal and goals score could be a nice decision making experience that kutdacheez is looking for us all to have.

As for goalies, I say they need to have 2 starts a week to even count, and perhaps allow 2 G slots. This is a debatable issue, as sometimes teams get screwed because they pick a goalie that happens to be resting. (probably what happened to kutdacheez). Having 2 slots might allow the team to ensure they get a goalie score for them that night. Then again, it also can be contrued less of a challenge. If a team happened to have Brodeur and Turco, you'd never need to change the goalies at all as they play 90% of their teams' games.

Just some more thoughts on the subject.

Plan 9
11-30-2003, 07:26 AM
I like your idea of including shots on goal as a statistical category.

Faceoffs on the other hand.. I've done that before and it didn't go over too well.

KungFuPenguin
11-30-2003, 10:45 AM
I thought you were referring to the problem wherein all the GM's made a mad dash to claim the prospects once they were added to the database. In next year's league, that wouldn't be an issue.

But in regards to Yahoo missing some high profile prospects at the beginning of the season, yes that is likely to happen again (and again). It usually takes them a week or two to get everything worked out.

Exactly. I'm thinking it would be more exciting to have a complete draft with every player in the world available, than to do a separate draft for prospects. You'd have to make a lot of difficult decisions regarding future potential vs. current production.

This is of course a completely irrelevant discussion if we intend to just transfer our current rosters to the new league.

Plan 9
11-30-2003, 05:56 PM
Exactly. I'm thinking it would be more exciting to have a complete draft with every player in the world available, than to do a separate draft for prospects. You'd have to make a lot of difficult decisions regarding future potential vs. current production.

Agreed.

This is of course a completely irrelevant discussion if we intend to just transfer our current rosters to the new league.

Personally speaking, I'd have absolutely zero interest in transfering our current rosters. The way in which most were obtained was pure crap in my book.

KungFuPenguin
11-30-2003, 06:25 PM
The transfer as originally stated included a return to pre-season, post-draft state if I recall correctly -- that is, all rookies added during the season would be removed from their respective teams and distributed via draft, as per the original agreement.

Still, I personally would also prefer a complete re-draft, mainly because I didn't quite grasp the Yahoo interface last time around and made a couple of bogus picks, misunderstood the actual roster format (ie. hat you could draft extra goalies etc.), and also underestimated the importance of goalies. Plus, like we both agreed, drafting all our players in one go adds an extra dimension to the game.

What does everyone else think?

Alex Kovalev
12-01-2003, 09:56 AM
Always nice to know that PARTYING was so high on your personal agenda of committments.

Whatever man, I have a life, sorry I wasnt here, I dont want to make excuses, you are all upset and frusterated and I understand. Lets try to get past this. I am going to make the changes now.

Plan 9
12-01-2003, 10:00 AM
Whatever man, I have a life, sorry I wasnt here, I dont want to make excuses, you are all upset and frusterated and I understand. Lets try to get past this. I am going to make the changes now.

I'm gonna edit my settings now so that you can access my team to put my moves back to zero. So I can actually do something.

Alex Kovalev
12-01-2003, 10:04 AM
Big problem here, I cant change the league settings anymore. I think there is a way around this though. If you have a trade or roster move that needs to be made, PM me here and can go in and change the rosters around. This would require everyone to give me permission to go in and edit teams. If there is a trade/signing you wish to make but you are at you maximum, have both parties PM with the details, and I will have to maually edit them. I know it sucks, and most of it is my fault, if you guys have anything more to say, I dont care say it. Kutdacheez, I would expect nothing less then some lowblows from you. Your typical style. I hope everyone agrees that this is the best method for tradings and signings now that the deadline is over.

Alex Kovalev
12-01-2003, 10:09 AM
I'm gonna edit my settings now so that you can access my team to put my moves back to zero. So I can actually do something.

Im glad we are on the same page. But I have looked throught the setting and I cant edit your number of moves. The only way is if you PM me your moves and I go in and so it manually.

DJ Spinoza
12-01-2003, 10:41 AM
Better than nothing.

As for earlier in the thread, sorry for attempting to salvage the season...I didn't know when the settings were up.

In regards to trading with me, if you want to make a trade, just PM me here. That's the best way to reach me.

Plan 9
12-01-2003, 11:11 AM
we are on the same page.

What gave you that impression?

But I have looked throught the setting and I cant edit your number of moves. The only way is if you PM me your moves and I go in and so it manually.

I can still edit them in my league.

Commissioner's Tools >>> Edit Transaction Numbers

Not sure why there would be a difference between the two leagues

kutdacheez
12-01-2003, 02:59 PM
Kutdacheez, I would expect nothing less then some lowblows from you. Your typical style.
I've said my words and I stand behind them.
The harder you throw down a football and a good character, the higher they rebound; but a phony apology and thrown reputation is like an egg.

BTW, you appear to be having another "hard time" . . . that is, you can't decipher a right cross or and uppercut from a low blow. Party-on Nug.

* PS I thought all the personal insults delivered by board monitors were recommended to be done via PM? Has that code been change? It doesn't matter to me, however. Keep up the excellent work, Houdini.

Alex Kovalev
12-01-2003, 04:02 PM
What gave you that impression?

We posted practically the same thing? maybe we are not on the same page, hopefully we can get through all the things that have to be done.

Alex Kovalev
12-01-2003, 04:06 PM
I can still edit them in my league.

Commissioner's Tools >>> Edit Transaction Numbers

Not sure why there would be a difference between the two leagues

Ok, got it. The Baldwin Bashers, Laval Titans, Edison Pumamen, and the S/Side Smartfellas have to give me permission to their team in order for me to switch their numbers. Everyone elses teams moves have been set back to 0.

Plan 9
12-01-2003, 04:20 PM
Ok, got it. The Baldwin Bashers, Laval Titans, Edison Pumamen, and the S/Side Smartfellas have to give me permission to their team in order for me to switch their numbers. Everyone elses teams moves have been set back to 0.

Thanks. I had a feeling you just didn't see where to make the changes.

Well, that will at least make this season a bit more tolerable.

DJ Spinoza
12-01-2003, 06:19 PM
AK, are my moves at zero?

Did you just reset the moves of every team to zero or did you make the maximum moves 'no maximum?'

I ask because the best thing is for it to be at no maximum. I think we all agree on that.

Plan 9
12-01-2003, 07:04 PM
AK, are my moves at zero?

You can look at the site

I ask because the best thing is for it to be at no maximum. I think we all agree on that.

The deadline for changing the settings has passed.

Rowsdower
12-01-2003, 08:36 PM

Done.

Plan 9
12-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Perhaps we can make a sticky thread to replace this one strictly for ideas and proposals for the new and improved HF Penguins Hockey League. I like a lot of the set up for the league, so am happy keeping that. I do feel we need to have two goalie slots, and also feel we should have the goalies having to play at least 2 starts a week for their stats to count.

I agree with this, GoPenguins. Is anyone else in favor of replacing this thread with a thread for discussion geared towards a new league next year? I'm sure if enough were in favor, one of the mods would be kind enough to help out.

AEKaki
12-03-2003, 01:36 PM

Done.

Sorry for the delay.

Plan 9
12-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Anyone other than Scarface have an opinion?

GoPenguins
12-03-2003, 01:56 PM

I'd respond but as it was me who posed the suggestion I think it clear I am also in agreement and would like to see a new thread solely devoted to new league discussion.

This is an offtopic issue, but how long does kutdacheez's ban last? I think we all appreciated his input for this league as well as Koltsov's.

Plan 9
12-03-2003, 02:02 PM
I'd respond but as it was me who posed the suggestion I think it clear I am also in agreement and would like to see a new thread solely devoted to new league discussion.

Yep, that's what I thought. :) That makes three so far who are in favor.

This is an offtopic issue, but how long does kutdacheez's ban last? I think we all appreciated his input for this league as well as Koltsov's.

I'm guessing it was his first offense, which carries a sentence of three days. Hopefully he'll be back soon.

Robert Paulson*
12-03-2003, 06:34 PM
What did Kut say that got him banned? I don't remember reading anything that he posted that was close to even getting a warning, maybe i'm wrong and didn't read the post that got him banned, anyone help me out here?
Remeber Knowitallcheez? I think that may be why. :)

Anyways, the next league better run smoother, people need to be more active on the boards, this year we've learned a harsh lesson, but a valuable one. Another thing, we need to reduce the amount of people we let in next time, maybe drop 4 teams for next year's keeper pool.

I know i am up for it, i know Koltsov and GoPenguins are also up for it. I wouldn't mind helping out with the commissioner's duties either, incase Koltsov is sick or just too busy with some stuff, i've been a pretty consistent poster and hockey pool member.
If I join, I may be interested in helping out w/ comissioner duties. Kinda like a board of directors.

Plan 9
12-03-2003, 06:38 PM
That couldn't be the reason why he was banned, i mean thats kinda stupid isn't it?

A stupid thing to do yes.

Plan 9
12-03-2003, 06:45 PM
Just a heads up to my HF buddies.. A spot in my Yahoo keeper has opened up. It's a pretty weak team.. High salary players demand a high percentage of the team payroll.. The team isn't very deep at the NHL level, but it has several young guns just waiting to have room made for them. Namely Zherdev, Horton, Kronwall, Leclaire, Kobasew, King, etc. It needs a lot of work, but it has potential.

It's a really involved league. All I would require is previous history of hockey at Yahoo, overall good general hockey knowledge, dedication/time, and it would be great if you had AIM.

Obviously, since it is midseason you won't be able to control the team at Yahoo. But I will make any moves you want to be made and set your roster for you.

Serious inquiries only.. If you have any questions or anything, just PM me.

Just wanted to see if anyone here is up to the task..

Rowsdower
12-03-2003, 06:59 PM

Sure..I think it would be a good idea.

Plan 9
12-04-2003, 04:41 AM
Sure..I think it would be a good idea.

Ok. That's 4 out of 14? Anyone else?

KungFuPenguin
12-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Absolutely, go ahead. I have a hard time envisioning any future members of this league to have any objections, and since there's already a sticky about the league -- this one -- I don't see why replacing it with another would be an issue?

Alex Kovalev
12-05-2003, 05:00 PM
Koltsov47, I also think it would be a good idea to make a new thread. You can have the honors.

Plan 9
12-05-2003, 05:10 PM
It's been done already. Check the very top of the Penguins page.

Robert Paulson*
12-06-2003, 06:55 PM
Koltsov47
Wow, you hadn't been here in a while - Koltsov changed his number to 71 a long time ago :)