Where are they NOW???

Ausburgh
10-29-2003, 09:05 AM
How's Micki DuPont doing? Is he playing good or bad???

Ausburgh
10-29-2003, 09:12 AM
At least for now, does anybody else miss Andrew Ference like I do???

I'm suffering from the Drake-Effect!!!

Der Schweinehund
10-29-2003, 09:30 AM
At least for now, does anybody else miss Andrew Ference like I do???

I'm suffering from the Drake-Effect!!!

I have watched a few Flames games this year and I hate to say it, but he has been probably their best defensman in most.

Koltsov71
10-29-2003, 09:34 AM
Yeah, he has really played well for the Flames.

I wasn't in favor of dealing him when we did.

kutdacheez
10-29-2003, 09:40 AM
How's Micki DuPont doing? Is he playing good or bad???
Micki DuPont has ran off and joined the Ringling Bros. Dwarf Circus and is traveling around europe moving his tent each week. Andy Ference would have been with him but he was a wee-smidgen too tall to be classified as a dwarf.
Niether will be missed here IMHO.

Der Schweinehund
10-29-2003, 09:46 AM
Niether will be missed here IMHO.

Every game that I see with Baumgartner, Berehowsky, and Focht makes me miss Ference. It makes me miss Jim Paek. It makes me miss Paul Stanton. It makes me miss even Bobby Dollas and Dan Trebil.

john g
10-29-2003, 10:11 AM
what about Gordie Roberts and Peter Taglianetti :shakehead

Big McLargehuge
10-29-2003, 10:36 AM
Focht has been far from bad. He's prone to brain farts but he's still not nearly as bad as some of the guys we had last year.

Same goes to Baumagartner and Berehowsky. They're far from special but just remember we could have Ian Moran and Hans Jonsson still...

And Ference couldn't take a spot from them. Ference was in a desperate need of a change of scenery, he wasn't going to do **** here.

Jag68Sid87
10-29-2003, 10:51 AM
Berehowsky's been as bad as any defenseman in the NHL so far this season. Giveaways in the defending zone, brain cramps, untimely falls in the defensive zone, we've already seen enough to last a season. That doesn't mean we should be clamoring for the return of Moran and Jonsson but man, there HAS to be somebody better out there than Bere-oopsky.

Focht hasn't been terrible, though it would be nice to see him play on the left side full time. Orpik has some promise. Bergevin hasn't stunk, which truly shocks me to be quite honest. Melichar's far from 100 per cent. The whole thing is a mess. Also, Baumgartner is NOT the answer.

The Tang
10-29-2003, 10:51 AM
iw asnt too happy to see ference go either, but if he was to be sent down he had to clear waivers, which he most likely would not have done. so, better to get a pick than nothing for him.

kutdacheez
10-29-2003, 11:08 AM
iw asnt too happy to see ference go either, but if he was to be sent down he had to clear waivers, which he most likely would not have done. so, better to get a pick than nothing for him.

Did we really get a direct pick for him? I thought it was AF for FC. And then the FC was something thrown into the trade of Shean Donovan . . . so that would be either Mathias Johansson or Micki DuPont. which would bring us full circle on this string! I could be wrong with that however and I'm too lazy to look it up.

kutdacheez
10-29-2003, 11:12 AM
Every game that I see with Baumgartner, Berehowsky, and Focht makes me miss Ference. It makes me miss Jim Paek. It makes me miss Paul Stanton. It makes me miss even Bobby Dollas and Dan Trebil.

Wow, wehen I first read this I thought you were saying that it made you Miss France!
Bringing up most of those names really brings to earth how bad our defense really is. And why I say Lupaschuk should be honing his skills up here and not in WB/S. He sure isn't any worse than any of the ones mentioned above.

The Tang
10-29-2003, 11:20 AM
Did we really get a direct pick for him? I thought it was AF for FC. And then the FC was something thrown into the trade of Shean Donovan . . . so that would be either Mathias Johansson or Micki DuPont. which would bring us full circle on this string! I could be wrong with that however and I'm too lazy to look it up.
i'm pretty sure it was a 5th or a conditional 5th.

AEKaki
10-29-2003, 11:26 AM
I was sad to see Ference go.
I watch him play a bit yesterday and he played good.
He was never out of position.
I would give him the spot of Berehowsky, Baumgartner.

Focht has been playing well.
Bergevin too, and he adds much needed leadership.

Like a poster said, it's better them then Moran, Jonsson, Laukkenen, Wilson.

Ausburgh
10-29-2003, 11:30 AM
I have watched a few Flames games this year and I hate to say it, but he has been probably their best defensman in most.

Thanks for the info.

Hey, do you know if Ference is a right-handed shot?

Der Schweinehund
10-29-2003, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the info.

Hey, do you know if Ference is a right-handed shot?

Lefty. For reference, TSN.ca's player site (here (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/player_list.asp) ) is getting better year by year and has lots of good info including player shooting hands.

Der Schweinehund
10-29-2003, 11:44 AM
Wow, wehen I first read this I thought you were saying that it made you Miss France!
Bringing up most of those names really brings to earth how bad our defense really is. And why I say Lupaschuk should be honing his skills up here and not in WB/S. He sure isn't any worse than any of the ones mentioned above.

My least favorite of all time though has to be Popovic. Seriously - I would prefer to play shorthanded than have him out there.

kutdacheez
10-29-2003, 01:09 PM
My least favorite of all time though has to be Popovic. Seriously - I would prefer to play shorthanded than have him out there.
Are you too young to recall Jim Kyte? He was also hard of hearing and really couldn't skate backwards. When an educated, in sign language, forward when by him . . . (usually) on the other side then what he was turning they would stop and "sign" 'adios MF' and at that time these guys didn't even know who Marc Fleury was!

GoPenguins
10-29-2003, 01:48 PM

If I recall correctly, the pick we got from Calgary was atually a 3rd rounder. The condition on it if I recall was it could be Calgary's 2003 or 2004 3rd rounder and it was their choice. They either elected to keep their 3rd rounder this year (or dealt it away) and so I think we have Calgary's 3rd rounder this year.

So far, I think we have our 1st, two 2nds (ours and Vancouver's pick from the Hedberg deal) and two thirds (ours and Calgary's). Not too bad considering the draft talent. Allows us to either take five players in the first three rounds, or use one or more of these picks to move up in round one if we so choose.

Koltsov71
10-29-2003, 01:52 PM
If I recall correctly, the pick we got from Calgary was atually a 3rd rounder. The condition on it if I recall was it could be Calgary's 2003 or 2004 3rd rounder and it was their choice. They either elected to keep their 3rd rounder this year (or dealt it away) and so I think we have Calgary's 3rd rounder this year.

Yes, I'm nearly certain that the pick is for this year.

Der Schweinehund
10-29-2003, 02:31 PM
Are you too young to recall Jim Kyte? He was also hard of hearing and really couldn't skate backwards. When an educated, in sign language, forward when by him . . . (usually) on the other side then what he was turning they would stop and "sign" 'adios MF' and at that time these guys didn't even know who Marc Fleury was!

Hell yeah I remember Jim Kyte. I was excited with that trade - I believe we also got Andrew McBain in that deal as well. Who the heck went back to Winnipeg though? I am thinking one of them was Randy Cunneyworth - but I also seem to recall it may have been a two-for-two trade. (Damn - now that's going to bug me...help!!)

Andrew McBain - now there was a disappointment. I think he had come off two or three 30-35 goal seasons when the Pens got him and then crashed and burned.

Koltsov71
10-29-2003, 02:46 PM
June 17, 1989

To Pittsburgh:
Randy Gilhen, Andrew McBain and Jim Kyte.

To Winnipeg:
Randy Cunneyworth, Rick Tabaracci and Dave McLlwain.

Der Schweinehund
10-29-2003, 03:02 PM
June 17, 1989

To Pittsburgh:
Randy Gilhen, Andrew McBain and Jim Kyte.

To Winnipeg:
Randy Cunneyworth, Rick Tabaracci and Dave McLlwain.

Beauty - thanks! Completely forgot about Tabs. Found that kinda odd the Jets would want another goalie given they already had Berithaume and "Pokey" Reddick, as well as Bob Essensa and Stephane Beauregard coming around. Think they also has Tom Draper hanging around then too.

Der Schweinehund
10-29-2003, 03:24 PM
And speaking of "where are they now" I discovered something on the weekend that just blew my mind.

Last season, one of the all time great stars of the German Bundesliga finally retired after a 23-year professional hockey league career. That star - none other than Mike Bullard.

Just blew my mind that he was still playing. (What's that saying...little things amuse little minds?)