Dustin Brown

Waveburner
10-29-2003, 10:04 PM
He has now played 8 NHL games, correct? If he plays 2 more, he loses Junior eligibility. Do Kings fans think he will stick around? Or sent down to Juniors? I think keeping him around could hurt him long-term personally.

GuelphStormRule
10-30-2003, 02:51 AM
He has now played 8 NHL games, correct? If he plays 2 more, he loses Junior eligibility. Do Kings fans think he will stick around? Or sent down to Juniors? I think keeping him around could hurt him long-term personally.

After 2 more games he can still be sent down to Guelph but the Kings are on the hook for 1 year of the contract pro rated to games played.
Although i believe the Kings will keep him I hope he gets sent back.

1) So I can watch him play....he is awsome.
2) If he stays his play might hurt in the long run as he
would be the man in the O and get more seasoning.
Manny Malhotra is a great example of keeping a kid
up with the big club and ruining him.

bethchella
10-30-2003, 03:45 AM
Andy Murray seems to love this guy, he says he is the only one who goes to the front of the net. Murray even said that he hope he is there the whole season although he stated that it was not his decision to make.

Dave Taylor was quoted as saying "we're leaning towards keeping him" about 3 days ago.

My opinion is to keep him up. even though he hasn't scored yet (at least 'offically', we all know he scored a goal) he is getting good experience. I think he'll turn the corner once his confidence builds more, and he should get decent ice time until the walking wounded return. besides, what more can he do in guelph?

I guess we'll all find out in the next week or so.

IGM
10-30-2003, 07:33 AM
I am right down the middle on this one. While I love seeing the kid and believe that he has the skills to stay with us, I also think that there is just no reason for us to keep him up here and that we have other guys capable of doing his job and might be able to do it even a little better at this point. I also believe (as I have said in other posts) that if he were sent down to his J team that he would be THE MAN in that league and his developement would take another giant leap forward. He isn't one of those Nancy boys who need to be molly coddled all of the time who you have to worry about thier fragile ego in wheter on not to send them down.

A few of us fans asked him a couple of questions after practice about being in the NHL and he was very jovial and seemed genuine when he said that he has been given a chance that he didn't think would happen for another couple of years so he is just like a kid in a candy store (interesting statement because he really is a kid still) when it comes to playing with us. Of course he gave us the standard "I just want to do what is best for the team and my developement and know that AM and DT have my best interest in mind so I will do whatever they tell me to". I like the fact that he was mature enough to deal with us fans with not only allot of style but with allot of level headed thinking.

I hope that if he stays that he starts popping in the points but a big part of me wants to see him back down developing his skills.

Jebus
10-30-2003, 09:16 AM
If he continues to play well, I say keep him. He's obviously not a dumb jock, winning the academic award three years in a row. So, let the hockey dictate if he stays or not, not psychological presumptions he's much too smart for. He's shown quite a lot of level-headedness so far.

IGM
10-30-2003, 10:10 AM
Where has anyone hinted that he might not be smart enough to stay? I have never heard that one.

Jebus
10-30-2003, 11:36 AM
Where has anyone hinted that he might not be smart enough to stay? I have never heard that one.

????? :dunno:

What I have heard is that staying in Juniors would help his development because he would be "THE MAN" down there. What I'm saying (basically just guessing) is that players of high intellectual ability (smarts if you will) are better equipped to deal with the psychological ups and downs of coming into the league at such a tender age. Dustin Brown seems to fit into this category better than most prospects his age. But, like I said it's just a guess and I won't deny that there isn't always a direct correlation between smarts and confidence.

TubbyTerrion*
10-30-2003, 11:53 AM
With Allison, Deadmarsh, Corvo, Palffy, injuries to various players, and some key meltdowns over the first eight games, it seems only natural that the one "feel good" story on the Kings, Dustin Brown, will be given the opportunity to stay with the club past the 10 game mark.

I've been a pretty vocal opponent to the concept, but at this point, we need something to feel good about. Dustin Brown gives us hope for the future... even if the present looks kinda icky.