Cats call up Goren

m2k2p
10-30-2003, 09:49 AM
10/30/2003
CATS RECALL RW GOREN FROM SAN ANTONIO

SUNRISE - Florida Panthers General Manager Rick Dudley announced Thursday that the club has recalled RW Lee Goren from San Antonio (AHL).

Goren, 25, has appeared in eight contests with San Antonio this season, recording four points (2-2-4). He was signed as an unrestricted free agent on July 22, 2003, after spending the last three years with both Boston and Providence (AHL). For his NHL career, he has played in 35 contests, registering five points (4-1-5) and 14 penalty minutes.

The Winnipeg, Manitoba native skated three seasons for North Dakota (WCHA), leading his team to the NCAA National Championship in 2000, as the Fighting Sioux defeated Boston College, 4-2.

Florida completes a two-game road trip tonight in Ottawa before returning to South Florida for Saturday's contest against the San Jose Sharks at 7:30 p.m. The game against San Jose will only be broadcast on 1400 AM due to a scheduling conflict with University of Miami and Florida State football games.

goalie31
10-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Alright Lee! I haven't seen him since last year with the P-Bruins. Hope he does good tonight.

Heimy
10-30-2003, 11:34 AM
Yeah Lee... :shakehead

meanwhile Denis Shvidki (2g 3a +4) continues riding the bus. He must have been slippin' it to Keenan's daughter or something. :mad:

BruinFan42
10-30-2003, 12:38 PM
You guys will like Lee. He's a big guy that will skate forever, and he's got surprisingly good hands. I was very surprised we didn't re-sign him.

Good Luck Lee.

goalie31
10-30-2003, 12:42 PM

meanwhile Denis Shvidki (2g 3a +4) continues riding the bus. He must have been slippin' it to Keenan's daughter or something. :mad:

Has Lee been doing bad in San Antonio? I haven't checked him stats as of late.

PantherBlood6*
10-30-2003, 12:51 PM

I'm as big of a Shvidki supporter as anyone here, But I see the logic behind bringing up Goren instead of Shvidki

Shvidki is on a 4 or 5 game pointless streak in SA right now...he had a hot start but has tailed off....He's a guy who has to be on the top two lines to be effective and with V.Bure coming back on Saturday, that would mean a one game stint for Denis then back to SA...which would mean he would have to clear waivers AGAIN.

Goren on the other hand is more than capable of grinding and banging, and after getting manhandled physically last night vs Philly, that's probably why Goren got the call.

PantherBlood6*
10-30-2003, 12:54 PM
Has Lee been doing bad in San Antonio? I haven't checked him stats as of late.

I don't think it's so much Goren playing poorly, Heimy is just a frustrated Shvidki fan (As I am). The kid has all the skill in the world, but for whatever reason ( Keenan, Injuries, confidence, or lack thereof, Keenan) he can't put it together.

Rattrick
10-30-2003, 01:38 PM
Saying that it is Keenans fault is a horrible statement. Shvidki has played for 3 coaches and has yet to do anything.

GudVibransons
10-30-2003, 02:27 PM
Keenan may just be looking for some leadership and somebody to play a good team game. Goren is the captain of the Rampage, so he could be a good fit up here to stir things up and help this team out. Let Shvidki get his game going again, then we can talk about bringing him up.

Crossbar
10-30-2003, 03:07 PM
Shvidki is looking like a career minor leaguer, sorry he might have plenty of skill but when you keep getting injured in the NHL every season as much as Val Bure does its not a coincidence he just can't handle the physical play of the big boys.

Heimy
10-30-2003, 07:17 PM
I owe Goren an apology. Yeah, he made a bad mistake with that pass up the middle but other than that he had a solid first game. Way to go Lee!

TKF37 is right. I'd like to see Denis get a look. He's started knockin' on the door pretty hard late last season and I was sure he'd make the team...so I got a little cranky when he was sent down early. He'll get his shot and he'll show up big.

and Crossbar, I don't know why but you seem to have a hate on for Shvidki based on past injuries. How many hockey players DON'T get injuried? He's healthy now and he's a Panther. Try cheering for him, maybe it'll bring him better luck and good health.

Captain8
10-31-2003, 08:28 AM
I owe Goren an apology. Yeah, he made a bad mistake with that pass up the middle but other than that he had a solid first game. Way to go Lee!

TKF37 is right. I'd like to see Denis get a look. He's started knockin' on the door pretty hard late last season and I was sure he'd make the team...so I got a little cranky when he was sent down early. He'll get his shot and he'll show up big.

and Crossbar, I don't know why but you seem to have a hate on for Shvidki based on past injuries. How many hockey players DON'T get injuried? He's healthy now and he's a Panther. Try cheering for him, maybe it'll bring him better luck and good health.

Well, I thought Goren mostly looked like a stiff. He was as slow as advertised and was indecisive when he got the puck, save for the one play when he did have some time and space -- the assist on Jokinen's goal. IMO, he is not suited to any kind of transition game and is only useful after puck possession is established, something the Panthers have trouble with.

The thing that gets me is Keenan's whole rationale. He takes a big guy who maybe has no business being in the NHL (at best, Goren is another Dagenais) and inserts him on a scoring line right away. Yes, he's big; yes, Keenan knows a bit about him. So what? In today's NHL, size is not a factor unless it imposes itself in time to affect the outcome of the play. For instance, had Kozlov and Jokinen not been quick enough to pressure Chara (yesterday) and Pitkanen (the day before), respectively, their size and reach would not have mattered one bit.

And the one thing Keenan says he tries to instill -- those magical instincts that lead to execution -- are precisely what's missing in this picture. Never mind Shvidki. If Keenan wants to promote his faves, I would much rather see Ritchie or MacDonald using their speed on a scoring line to pressure the puck. Let Goren try out his training wheels somewhere else.