Flyers vs. NJ: thread

NJDraft
10-30-2003, 01:53 PM
2-1 Devils sounds about right, but don't bet the house. First goal wins.

Philadelphia (4-1-3-1) at New Jersey (3-3-2-0) 8:00 pm EST
----------------------------------------------------------------
EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey (Ticker) -- The New Jersey Devils
try for their first home victory of the season on Thursday when
they open a four-game homestand against the Philadelphia Flyers
at Continental Airlines Arena.

The Devils are 0-3-1-0 here for their worst start since dropping
the first six home contests in 1983-84, the franchise's first
season in New Jersey.

New Jersey has balanced its home struggles with exceptional play
on the road, where it remained unbeaten with a 4-0 victory over
the New York Islanders on Tuesday.

Jay Pandolfo had a goal and an assist and Martin Brodeur
recorded his first shutout of the season for the Devils, who had
lost three of their previous four games.

The shutout was Brodeur's 65th, one behind Toronto's Ed Belfour
for the lead among active goaltenders.

Jeff Friesen, Brian Gionta and John Madden also scored for the
Devils. Jamie Langenbrunner had an assist for his 300th NHL
point.

Philadelphia has won consecutive games following three-game
winless skid after a 5-1 victory over the Florida Panthers on
Wednesday.

Michal Handzus and rookie defenseman Joni Pitkanen each had a
goal and assist and Robert Esche stopped 21 shots for the
Flyers, who are unbeaten in their last three games (2-0-1-0).

Justin Williams, Jeremy Roenick and John LeClair also had goals
for Philadelphia, which has just one loss in its first eight
games this season.

Mark Recchi, Tony Amonte and Simon Gagne added two assists
apiece for the Flyers, who have scored 10 goals in their last
two contests.

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 02:04 PM
As good as the Devils played against the Isles, I think they will be even better tonight then they were two nights ago. Friesen and Langs should play big roles in this one. I don't think Hackett likes playing against Jeff Friesen much at all after the embarassing play that transpired last year when he was still with the Canadiens.

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 03:09 PM
Paul Martin is in the lineup this evening. Devils will have to contain Williams and Pitkanen.

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 03:13 PM
Turner is playing on a line with Rasmussen and Rupp.

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 03:24 PM
Tony Amonte roofs one over Brodeur.

Nikkowar
10-30-2003, 03:26 PM
May the best team win ;)

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 03:37 PM
Gagne scores a backhander on the breakaway after Scott Stevens was way too careless with a soft pass.

ratsgirl
10-30-2003, 03:39 PM
that was painful to watch...stevens has not been his usual self so far this season.

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 03:47 PM
Stevens looks like he's finally starting to show signs of his age. The first goal from Amonte came about after Madden was waived out of the faceoff circle and Pandolfo couldn't win it in his own end to the left of Brodeur. Rafalski, Stevens, and Madden all had problems with the Flyers crashing the net.

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 03:57 PM
Scoring Summary
1st Period
Philadelphia 9:08, Tony Amonte 3 (Jeremy Roenick, Mark Recchi)
Philadelphia 17:42, Simon Gagne 2 (unassisted)

Shots on goal:
NJ 10
PHI 7

Faceoffs:
NJ Won 9 Lost 9
PHI Won 9 Lost 9

Power Play:
NJ 0 for 2
PHI 1 for 2

The tripping penalty on Rupp was pretty lame. Two players get their skates tangled up and boom Rupp is gone for tripping.

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 03:58 PM
Rupp scores to cut the lead to one goal.

NJ_Devil_Boy
10-30-2003, 04:05 PM
Stevens looks like he's finally starting to show signs of his age. The first goal from Amonte came about after Madden was waived out of the faceoff circle and Pandolfo couldn't win it in his own end to the left of Brodeur. Rafalski, Stevens, and Madden all had problems with the Flyers crashing the net.

Stevens is saving it for the playoffs. He's always there when it matters. ;)

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 04:07 PM
Rupp caught Therien with a great hit in the corner. Good play from him in this game so far.

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 04:08 PM
Stevens is saving it for the playoffs. He's always there when it matters. ;)

True. He knows how to conserve energy with the best of them through 82 games. I'm just surprised at how often he's on the ice for goals against compared with all our new guys being worked into the team on the blue line. He and Madden both need to step up their defensive games.

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 04:21 PM
Stevens scores on the PP from the point with a good blast.

ratsgirl
10-30-2003, 04:21 PM
i take back whatever i just said about stevens. sorry scotty!

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 04:28 PM
What a great game this is turning out to be. Nieds with a great hit. Devils playing physical sticking up for one another.

DevilFisch
10-30-2003, 04:28 PM
Those last few minutes were INSANELY EXCITING.

I do not want to ever hear that the Devils are boring EVER.

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 04:31 PM
This is exactly the kind of game we needed to see from Mike Rupp. The guy is really responding like hell against the Flyers. Just missed a goal by the narrowest of margins when it went through Hackett.

Winston Wolf
10-30-2003, 04:43 PM
Damn, that's what I hate about playing against Scott Stevens. Whenever he makes a bonehead play or mistake, (which is rare) you just know that he's going to make up for it later in the game.

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 04:59 PM
Great 3rd period from Erik Rasmussen. Almost had himself a goal crashing the net before lining up Therien for a hit. Rupp and Rasmussen seem to be feeding off one another.

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 05:08 PM
Rupp through the five hole! 4th line is flying tonight.

DevilFisch
10-30-2003, 05:08 PM
MIKE RUPP! 2 GOALS! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

3-2 NJ! So far NJ has been dominant this period. Hopefully they'll keep it up!

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 05:12 PM
This entire game has been a demolition derby since the 2nd period. You could see the Devils physical game was coming around against the Islanders a bit, but this is kicked into overdrive.

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 05:15 PM
Those last few minutes were INSANELY EXCITING.

I do not want to ever hear that the Devils are boring EVER.

If this is boring, I don't ever want to be entertained.

DevilFisch
10-30-2003, 05:23 PM
Did I say the last few minutes? I meant to say the last 15 minutes of the 2nd and all of the 3rd period.

Amazing game. I'm so glad class didn't last until 9 tonight.

THE DEVILS WIN AT HOME!! 3-2! 4-3-2-0 to end October! BUST OUT THE BLUR! CELEBRATE!

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 05:25 PM
Gutsy win and best performance of the season by the Devils tonight to come back from two goals down. Classy move by Burns to reward Rupp, Rasmussen, and Stevenson with ice time for the last minute of the 3rd period and for putting them out there at the start of the 3rd as well (minus Stevenson I think). Ladies and gentleman, we have ourselves a new crash line here. And to think Dale Arnold actually commented on the NESN telecast earlier this evening that you'd have to look far and wide to find a better fourth line in pro hockey then the one the Bruins iced tonight with Green, Zamuner, and McCarthy. Wonder if he saw this one.

NJ_Devil_Boy
10-30-2003, 05:36 PM
Glad to see Stevens get a goal (and an assist) early in the season. You see...he's not done yet. ;)

Teezax
10-30-2003, 06:23 PM
Good game fellas, probably one of the more exciting games all year I think.
That's what rivalries are all about. A playoff series between these two teams would be insane.

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 06:27 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20031031/capt.era10310310241.flyers_devils_era103.jpg

Philadelphia Flyers goaltender Jeff Hackett makes a save during the first period against the New Jersey Devils' Thursday night, Oct. 30, 2003, in East Rutherford, N.J.
(AP Photo/Bill Kostroun)

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20031031/capt.era10210310232.flyers_devils_era102.jpg

Philadelphia Flyers' Simon Gagne, left, skates in on New Jersey Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur during the first period Thursday night, Oct. 30, 2003, in East Rutherford, N.J. Gagne scored on the play.
(AP Photo/Bill Kostroun)

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20031031/capt.era10110310228.flyers_devils_era101.jpg

Philadelphia Flyers' Michal Handzus, left, of the Czech Republic, and Justin Williams battle with New Jersey Devils' Colin White and John Madden (11) for the puck during the first period Thursday night, Oct. 30, 2003, in East Rutherford, N.J.
(AP Photo/Bill Kostroun)

Dr Love
10-30-2003, 06:36 PM
Good game. Devils played for 60 minutes, Flyers did not. Hopefully next time there will be better officiating (it CAN'T be worse, can it?) and thus we'll get a better game.

Niedermayer21
10-30-2003, 06:48 PM
The Devils had to make a roster move to activate Turner Stevenson.
Does anyone know what it was?

Thanks!!! Awesome game!!!! Yes, Stevens and Madden have not been playing up to their talent, but it is early. Burns has got to find a way to get Berglund into the lineup. If they demoted him, they are crazy.

Colorado will be another big test. We are definitely one of the NHL's elite teams. Hey, will did win the damn Cup.
We aren't the champs for nothing!!! :)

BTW, Adrian Foster, Sean Brown, Ray Giroux, and a good prospect or a #1 in 2006 for Comrie and Staios. Is that deal possible???

Tbg1515
10-30-2003, 06:53 PM
Good game. Devils played for 60 minutes, Flyers did not. Hopefully next time there will be better officiating (it CAN'T be worse, can it?) and thus we'll get a better game.

Don't cry about the officiating the Devils just dominated the Flyers tonite, even when they went up 2-0 it was because of defensive miscues by the devils, but all in all i think the devs dominated this game especiallly the 3rd......1 shot on goal Flyers really suck, And what a surprise Bobby Clarke did nothing to improve his Goaltending situation i think its about time he goes out and gets a real goalie....All the guys he's had have played well in Regular season but they arent playoff performers or big game performers.....(Hackett, Cechmanek, Beezer, Burke, Snow, did i miss anyone.) However Roman Cechmanek seemed to play well against the Devils i dont know what is was about him he seemed to somehow keep the Flyers in every game with us......

Unthinkable
10-30-2003, 06:54 PM
The Devils had to make a roster move to activate Turner Stevenson.
Does anyone know what it was?

Thanks!!! Awesome game!!!! Yes, Stevens and Madden have not been playing up to their talent, but it is early. Burns has got to find a way to get Berglund into the lineup. If they demoted him, they are crazy.

Colorado will be another big test. We are definitely one of the NHL's elite teams. Hey, will did win the damn Cup.
We aren't the champs for nothing!!! :)

BTW, Adrian Foster, Sean Brown, Ray Giroux, and a good prospect or a #1 in 2006 for Comrie and Staios. Is that deal possible???

Pretty sure the Devils put David Hale on the IR retroactive to last week with the groin injury. Not sure if the Oilers would want Brown back. They already gave up on him once and probably feel Semenov will do a better job for them in due time. I'd hate to lose Giroux in any deals this year.

JimEIV
10-30-2003, 07:35 PM

:lol:

Yup my team never looses either its always the officials!

Tao Jones
10-30-2003, 08:24 PM
Great come from behind win tonight. Good to get that first win in red under our belts. Turner looked pumped. 4th line made me forget about Rheaume. Hard work, tough luck night for Brylin. Devs dominated play, but the game still could have gone either way, if not for the iron. Scary passing game on bad ice, even with the lead. Some over passing in both ends. P.Martin still makes me feel uneasy with some of his puck decisions in the defensive zone. Definitely need to work on coverage in close before the Avs Saturday. Nice divisional 4 point swing. 3-0 vs. the Atlantic.:rolly: Bring on November. Elias still owes a point on his promise.;)

Teezax
10-31-2003, 04:17 AM
Don't cry about the officiating the Devils just dominated the Flyers tonite, even when they went up 2-0 it was because of defensive miscues by the devils, but all in all i think the devs dominated this game especiallly the 3rd......1 shot on goal Flyers really suck, And what a surprise Bobby Clarke did nothing to improve his Goaltending situation i think its about time he goes out and gets a real goalie....All the guys he's had have played well in Regular season but they arent playoff performers or big game performers.....(Hackett, Cechmanek, Beezer, Burke, Snow, did i miss anyone.) However Roman Cechmanek seemed to play well against the Devils i dont know what is was about him he seemed to somehow keep the Flyers in every game with us......

Relax, the Devils clearly deserved the win, but you can't say the Devils dominated the whole game, they just did the third. The momentum shifted back and forth so don't give me that crap. We could have put the game away at the end of the second with our two posts, we were buzzing around Brodeur like madmen. And to reiterate what you said about Cecho keeping us in it all the time, was this is a blowout? Because last i checked it was 3-2 the FINAL. Week 3rd goal but had no chance on the other 2. Apart from that we played our 3rd game in 4 nights so we weren't really 100% energetic unlike the Debs that had some rest and time to prepare, and we still took it to you. Wait for the next game, that is where you can judge.

John Flyers Fan
10-31-2003, 04:33 AM
Don't cry about the officiating the Devils just dominated the Flyers tonite, even when they went up 2-0 it was because of defensive miscues by the devils, but all in all i think the devs dominated this game especiallly the 3rd......1 shot on goal Flyers really suck,

Devils won the game, but they were far from dominant. Devils controlled the 3rd period, but the first two periods were very even.

Also about the shots on goal, the Flyers had more than 1 in the third period, and more than 16 for the game. The guys that keep track of the shots on goal in Jersey are notorious for undercounting opponents shots on goal.

It makes the Devlis defense appear stronger, but also hurts Brodeur's SV% numbers, which in turn hurts his Vezina chances.

JimEIV
10-31-2003, 05:17 AM
Devils won the game, but they were far from dominant. Devils controlled the 3rd period, but the first two periods were very even.

Dude, What were you watching? The DEvils gave away the second goal to the Flyers with a bone head move then the DEVILS dominated from the begin of the second period to the end.

From Your own Philly writer Tim Panaccio , Inquirer Staff Writer

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=knight-devilsslippastflyersonbad&prov=knight&type=lgns

"It was the Devils' first win at home this season (1-3-1). The game kept fans on edge, although New Jersey owned the final two periods. They rallied, then clamped down while allowing the Flyers just one shot in the third period - tying a Flyers team record.

Could the Flyers have won?

"Obviously not," an angry Jeremy Roenick replied.

In a marvelous, wide-open second period, the Devils charged back to overcome the 2-0 deficit. Rupp scored 34 seconds into the period on a bang-bang play. He cut diagonally to the net and tipped a pass from Patrik Elias, a play the Devils ran several times.

Getting a goal on the first shift of the second period is a killer," Roenick said.

From that point, the game took a nasty turn. The hitting reached 10 on the Richter Scale, with the Devils getting in the better licks and stealing the momentum. "

John Flyers Fan
10-31-2003, 05:30 AM
Dude, What were you watching? The DEvils gave away the second goal to the Flyers with a bone head move then the DEVILS dominated from the begin of the second period to the end.

From Your own Philly writer Tim Panaccio , Inquirer Staff Writer

#1. Panaccio is a bone head, that doesn't have a clue about the game of hockey.

#2. Yes, Stevens had a brutal giveaway on the 2nd Flyers goal, and that is cancelled by the horrendous goal that Hackett gave up in the 3rd period.

Unthinkable
10-31-2003, 07:15 AM
I felt the first period was won by the Flyers while the Devils took the 2nd and 3rd period momentum away from Philadelphia. The game looked like it was heading towards a 4 or 5 nothing win for the Flyers after one period. No way did the Flyers win the 2nd period last night.

Teezax
10-31-2003, 07:55 AM
I felt the first period was won by the Flyers while the Devils took the 2nd and 3rd period momentum away from Philadelphia. The game looked like it was heading towards a 4 or 5 nothing win for the Flyers after one period. No way did the Flyers win the 2nd period last night.

Dude, we didn't win the 2nd, bbut it was evry even, we could have scored 3 goals in that last minute if we hadn't hit those 2 posts or Brodeur didn't pull miracles stopping Leclair from jamming it in, in front of the net.

Tao Jones
10-31-2003, 08:35 AM
Also about the shots on goal, the Flyers had more than 1 in the third period, and more than 16 for the game. The guys that keep track of the shots on goal in Jersey are notorious for undercounting opponents shots on goal.

It makes the Devlis defense appear stronger, but also hurts Brodeur's SV% numbers, which in turn hurts his Vezina chances.

I agree with you on this point. The "low shots total" argument always comes up when Brodeur is being evaluated. His performance is definitely a product of his overall play, in addition to the system that plays in front of him, rather than solely dependent upon it. Marty's puck handling skills and ability to control rebounds, which reduces opponents' total offensive chances and supports the transition game, never seem to be considered as factors that contribute to the low SA totals either. It is difficult to stay sharp when the first shot sometimes may not be faced until ten minutes or so, into the period, or long stretches of time are played at the other end of the ice. The Jersey scorers undercount the Devils' SOG as well, which makes their offense appear weaker than it really is, but increases their shooting %.

BigBully4
10-31-2003, 09:20 AM
Please give me a break, Flyer fans.

1st Period - Even period, Devils outchanced, but Flyers took it to the Devils. Two goals.

2nd Period - Devils dominated from start to finish. Two goals.

3rd Period - Devils dominated again from start to finish. One goal.

Periods 2 and 3 were all New Jersey. Talk about "if we" all you want. Hackett, like countless other Flyers goalies in the 3rd period against the Devils, gave up a horrendous goal that cost you 2 points. How's your ass?

Devils outworked, outhit, outmuscled, and outplayed Philly for two periods, and it was enough. You hit posts, you went wide, you lost your sticks. Too bad. That's hockey. We are the better team every year. Deal with it.

Flyers26
10-31-2003, 10:22 AM
Please give me a break, Flyer fans.

1st Period - Even period, Devils outchanced, but Flyers took it to the Devils. Two goals.

2nd Period - Devils dominated from start to finish. Two goals.

3rd Period - Devils dominated again from start to finish. One goal.

Periods 2 and 3 were all New Jersey. Talk about "if we" all you want. Hackett, like countless other Flyers goalies in the 3rd period against the Devils, gave up a horrendous goal that cost you 2 points. How's your ass?

Devils outworked, outhit, outmuscled, and outplayed Philly for two periods, and it was enough. You hit posts, you went wide, you lost your sticks. Too bad. That's hockey. We are the better team every year. Deal with it.
Well let's not even bother to play the season! let's just give the Debs the cup to parade around their parking lot!

1st period: Even? please, we outscore you 2-0, and in your mind it's even?
2nd: Devils dominated from start to finish. Really?
3rd: I will give you, that Debs only gave up 1 shot, that's excellent.
"Devils outworked, outhit, outmuscled, and outplayed Philly "
really.. did you ask Stevenson if he "outmuscled" Fedoruk?

I think you have inhaled too much of the quality air at the swamps to get an unbiased opinion.

PS.. bring back you old avatar w/ you & the bulldog, so we can all get a good laugh!
again, we must have been watching 2 different games

Gags1288
10-31-2003, 11:40 AM
I'll give my two cents on the game.

The first period, I thought the Devils slightly outplayed the Flyers, but the Flyers were able to capatilize on their opportunity's, so they got up to a 2-0 lead.

The second period, I thought the flyers played better then they did in the first. They hit at least 4 posts in that period, which could explain low shot totals and had many other glorious scoring opportunity's. The devils only controlled play in this period when they were on the pp, which was quite a few times because of the ******** calls. I don't like to blame refs, but the calls on Pitkanen were rediculous. Neidermayer got away with two clear obstructions earlier in the game, one of which he was warned on (why give a warning? it was a penalty). Then Pitkanen does very very little and gets a penalty . The second one, you must admit the roughing call on Pitkanen was even more of a joke. He stood there while Langenbruner pushed him and he got a penalty, how does that make sense?

The third period was all devils. I think the flyers got tired, probably because of the rough game the night before and the 3 in 4 nights. The game was very close, imo and both teams could have had quite a few more goals. It really should've ended in a 2-2 tie if Hackett could make a ******* routine save. That's just my opinion of the game though.

It was a very good game to watch, especially this early in the season. From a flyers standpoint, i'm encouraged by the tons of chances and the fact that the Devils only took control when the flyers tired as a result of their recent schedule. Also, Gagne looked very good and if he's back to his form of two years ago, the Flyers could have 3 very deadly lines.

meehan
10-31-2003, 11:49 AM
The Jersey scorers undercount the Devils' SOG as well, which makes their offense appear weaker than it really is, but increases their shooting %.

I totally disagree with that. I think the Jersey scorers actually overcount the Devil's SOG. For that reason the Devils are always around the top of the league when it comes to shots for. The devils have one of the lowest shooting percentages in the league. In last nights game I think the guys on ESPN said that the Flyers had 3 shots in the third which seems right as I remember in the beginning of the period Brodeur had to make some saves including a nice point blank chance by Primeau and then the last shot of the game was by Gagne from the slot area with about 2 mins left. Still, three shots in one period is pretty bad, but then again the devils didn't get much more either. I wouldn't say the Devils "dominated" the third period as their goal was a soft one and they only had about 2 or 3 scoring chances.

BigBully4
10-31-2003, 12:25 PM
Well let's not even bother to play the season! let's just give the Debs the cup to parade around their parking lot!

1st period: Even? please, we outscore you 2-0, and in your mind it's even?
2nd: Devils dominated from start to finish. Really?
3rd: I will give you, that Debs only gave up 1 shot, that's excellent.
"Devils outworked, outhit, outmuscled, and outplayed Philly "
really.. did you ask Stevenson if he "outmuscled" Fedoruk?

I think you have inhaled too much of the quality air at the swamps to get an unbiased opinion.

PS.. bring back you old avatar w/ you & the bulldog, so we can all get a good laugh!
again, we must have been watching 2 different games

Man, every year you come here and say the same old crap. How many times have we heard the "parking lot" jokes? Let me count...oh yeah, THREE times in the last NINE years. You're a typical goon. You mention the third period and praise the clueless Fedoruk who "outmuscled" the just-back-from-a-groin-injury (ah, excuses like the finest Flyer fan) Turner Stevenson. Yeah, I cared about that part of the game. Woo-hoo, let's see a fight. See how that counts in the standings at the end of the season.

Oh, and then the "swamp" jokes. You are truly a comedian. There's nothing disgusting about Philadelphia. No, nothing at all. A broken bell, a ghetto, and perennial disappointing sports team. Yeah, good times.

And I'm dying to know what's so funny about the bulldog avatar. He's a lot better looking than the dishrag wh@res flopping their funbags around around the Comcast...I mean the First Uni...I mean the WACHOVIA Center. You go through more names than you do starting goalies in the playoffs. And they're bad names, much like your goalies every year. Jeff Hackett? STOP.

Missionhockey
10-31-2003, 04:05 PM
Hey Flyers26,

The long and short of it is the Flyers blew it and the Devils got the win. Stop acting like the Flyers are far superior to the Devils. How many championships does your team have in the last 10 years?